AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2011-03-19, 20:40   Link #101
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

Send a message via MSN to LeaD36
It would seem surreal even for manga std's if they'd 1000x on their energy usage
LeaD36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 02:39   Link #102
Wrath88
Kissing...

The new chapter seems to introduce something more about the bird people as well as a discovery of a book.

My theory:
-Mellow Cola is the secretion from the eyes of one of the monsters in this labyrinth.
-The book Komatsu found is either a book that tells how to properly prepare the ingredients from the monsters around the place, or an account of how the Gourmet Pyramid came about.

Things are looking more and more interesting with every chapter. I wonder why didn't the President or Melk tell them about what lay in wait at the Pyramid? And how exactly did Gourmet World residents come to exist in the Human World?
Old 2011-04-04, 00:53   Link #103
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Can I just say how fucking wildly entertaining this manga is?

Everything is just larger than life, it's as if the author is channeling this wonder and imagination you might have had as a kid. All the insane monsters, the crazy food items, the locations, it's so immensely enjoyable because it's so damn fun. I just get this genuine vibe from it that 'this is the story I want to tell, I hope you'll enjoy it' instead of 'you heard the story I had to tell, now I have to keep telling it to make money for the next ten years'.

Seriously I hope this goes on for as long as One Piece has, I would rank it up there next it, way above Naruto and Bleach, and for sure higher than anything else below them.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Master Chibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 01:07   Link #104
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

The depth of the world this manga has is incredibly immense, and was probably the first thing that told me "okay, this is going to be a fantastic series".

What's even nicer is that there's absolutely no bullcrap in it. EVERY SINGLE THING is explained for you in a not-too-complex way and only a little bit of the explanations requires you to suspend disbelief.

I really hope the anime garners this series some more attention and fans as it very much deserves it.
Old 2011-04-04, 06:14   Link #105
ellifeedn
Thinker

^ I wouldn't say there was no bullcrap in it, but that would involve spoilers.
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 07:11   Link #106
gameboy234

I thought toriko and one piece was alike even though i nv read one piece and there we had a 1 chapter of toriko meet one piece.

Kinda hilarious.
gameboy234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 10:24   Link #107
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
^ I wouldn't say there was no bullcrap in it, but that would involve spoilers.
If people are reading this topic then they should realize they're risking reading spoilers. Plus that's what we have spoiler tags for. (I'm all caught up myself if that's what you mean though.)

Anyway, the series isn't perfect though. For example it's not very good at making us feel emotional for the characters. It might get a laugh sometimes but it has yet to make readers feel genuinely sad.
Old 2011-04-04, 11:29   Link #108
Master Chibi

There's no reason to make us feel sad though. This series doesn't need to do that, it's too light hearted of a playful romp through their world (as brutal as it is sometimes) to bother throwing the death of a character or what have you in. You're supposed to feel happy, surprised, and in awe. Shoving some sadness in there purely on principle wouldn't make any sense. Toriko and Komatsu forming a combo was 'drama' enough for me, and it totally worked.

Old 2011-04-04, 12:52   Link #109
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

such a good manga. jump is really putting this up as the next big hit. combining it with One Piece sort of gives it a stamp of approval.

it can easily be made inot a one piece style adventure by Toriko going inot the Gourmet World. circleing the 70%. doubt it's gonna happen but manga-ka has a lot of options availble to him for longevity.

can see deaths happening. eventually when Bishokuya and the tri-angle shaped heads creatures have a full on battle.
Old 2011-04-04, 12:56   Link #110
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
You're supposed to feel happy, surprised, and in awe
And don't forget the hungry/drooling part, that's my favourite
Quote:
it can easily be made inot a one piece style adventure by Toriko going inot the Gourmet World.
Luffy is searching for one piece in the grand line...Toriko wants to find god in a savage, unexplored world. Now, which would be harder?^^
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 13:17   Link #111
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Luffy is searching for one piece in the grand line...Toriko wants to find god in a savage, unexplored world. Now, which would be harder?^^
Both are difficult. Sure it mays seems that the Grand Line/New World might be easier since people traversed it before and therefore know what to expect and share their experiences with others unlike the Gourmet World, but that doesn't make the Grand Line/New World any less savage does it? You need to be just as prepared for anything to happen.

Anyway, in the case of the emotional influence this series has, it's already 135 chapters in and the story isn't even half finished yet. There's still plenty of time for the series to set up a well-excecuted dramatic moment.

If One Piece could do it, Toriko can too.~
Old 2011-04-04, 13:22   Link #112
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

Quote:
^^ that's not really the way i ment it. i get your point.

luffy going from one island to the next and all islands are different. which is what adds to the story. that's what i mean for toriko. 70% GW meaning unexplored places. the story so far has already been making the places we have seen unique and having that 70% is great, manga-ka can do what he wants with it. there is no sort of structure as there is in something like Bleach.

i think oda said this in one of his interviews. something like if he feels like he wants to do an arc about school he can make up a school island.
Old 2011-04-04, 14:34   Link #113
Master Chibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post

Anyway, in the case of the emotional influence this series has, it's already 135 chapters in and the story isn't even half finished yet. There's still plenty of time for the series to set up a well-excecuted dramatic moment.

If One Piece could do it, Toriko can too.~
Again, there's no reason for it to have one.

You're grasping for the wrong emotions here. It's like you're putting up against this 'standard' and that if it doesn't adhere to it (sooner or later) then it isn't as good as it should be.

Toriko can go on for ten years and not have a dramatic moment and still be a complete joy to take in.

Old 2011-04-04, 15:00   Link #114
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
luffy going from one island to the next and all islands are different. which is what adds to the story. that's what i mean for toriko. 70% GW meaning unexplored places. the story so far has already been making the places we have seen unique and having that 70% is great, manga-ka can do what he wants with it. there is no sort of structure as there is in something like Bleach.
Yeah, this is where I was going As long as there's ideas for new ridiculous monsters, lands and food, the manga can go on indefinitely, with its only limiter being Toriko's menu, which can be very long to fill in. How many dishes does he have now btw?
Old 2011-04-04, 15:34   Link #115
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
Again, there's no reason for it to have one.

You're grasping for the wrong emotions here. It's like you're putting up against this 'standard' and that if it doesn't adhere to it (sooner or later) then it isn't as good as it should be.

Toriko can go on for ten years and not have a dramatic moment and still be a complete joy to take in.
True enough, but I personally find it even better when a series can make you feel a whole variety of emotions, including the joy and awe it gives me now. Even if Toriko never ends up being dramatic it doesn't mean I'll like it any less, it's just something I consider a downside in a well-done tale.

Quote:
How many dishes does he have now btw?
He has his Hors d'œuvre, his soup dish and his dessert, which is BB Corn, Century Soup and Fruit of Rainbow, respectively.

He almost had the Jewel Meat as his meat dish but Sani got it as his main course instead, and Toriko refused to share a dish with him.

I guess we can also include God as Toriko's main course since he seems 100% determined to make it so.
Old 2011-04-04, 15:48   Link #116
Master Chibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
True enough, but I personally find it even better when a series can make you feel a whole variety of emotions, including the joy and awe it gives me now. Even if Toriko never ends up being dramatic it doesn't mean I'll like it any less, it's just something I consider a downside in a well-done tale.
Fair enough.

Sometimes I run into individuals out there dead set in having this be a necessity.

Old 2011-04-08, 11:24   Link #117
Wrath88
Kissing...

Well, could I get some theories from you guys about this series?

How much more before he's ready to take on the Gourmet world:
Spoiler for So far, Toriko has managed to adapt to:

Next, how much more can he power up?
Spoiler:

Overall, I think this 'Ingredient collecting' is a good explanation as to why Toriko and the others don't just eat all the good food to get the level up.
Old 2011-04-08, 13:34   Link #118
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Spoiler for Training grounds:

Spoiler for toriko's potential:
Old 2011-04-08, 20:40   Link #119
ellifeedn
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrath88 View Post
Spoiler for So far, Toriko has managed to adapt to:
I saw one of those ingredients on the list called "Meteo Garlic." Maybe Toriko has to learn to get by without his extreme sense of smell?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Spoiler for Training grounds:
1. I think when he goes for that garlic he'll deal with zero-G.
2. You're mixing up two ingredient arcs.
4. Diseases maybe, but when you're hungry you don't really care how the food tastes.
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 22:46   Link #120
Wrath88
Kissing...

I just thought of another strong possibility for his training. According to Toriko's philosophy, he fights wild animals only to eat.

So, wouldn't it be a good idea for him to learn the better aspects of Knocking?
Like the Intimidation Knocking that the old man showed.
Or increasing his ability to read where to perform Knocking on new animals he encounters
Or maybe even Teppei's Impact Knocking (that one was cool)

Tags
action, fantasy, food, shounen