AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-12-26, 22:27   Link #441
DingoEnderZOE2

Send a message via AIM to DingoEnderZOE2
Also big news currently the game is available to download on the Japanese PSN until January 8th for the low low price of 980 yen.
Anime evaluating:None
Manga in progress:None at the moment
DingoEnderZOE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-26, 22:56   Link #442
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Big news everyone! The VC3 translation patch is finally out! Get it before Sega gets wind of this and rains on everybody's parade.
As if pretty much letting the series die on the vine overseas wasn't enough - if you're not going to bother, you shouldn't get in the way of folks who're willing to ante up in your stead. I don't think they even tried to promote it as much as they did with Yet Another Sonic Game... on top of not delving into other genres the universe could have easily supported. For example, you know how the first game could be mistaken for a 3PS in motion? Why not roll with that, and give us, in effect, Battlefield: Gallia? Or take a wider look, and spin up something in the vein of EndWar (heck, the two games' upgrade mechanics are similar enough). Pretty much everything either game would need in terms of classes, unlocks, etc. is already on the proverbial table.
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-30, 22:47   Link #443
durack

Awesome job - it is a bit beta-ish but I say grab it and play it now, who knows what will happen.

For a fan job this is incredible - VC3 is a pretty complex game, we are not talking about some Super Famicom game with a hundred or two lines of text...

As far as business side goes, I understand Sega. They blew their chance to establish a big franchise with the first game, because, well, they are not that good when it comes to promotion and PR.

Honestly, I think you can reboot the franchise - start with iOs and Android ports, etc. But that's Sega we are talking about. Maybe Atlus will do something with it.

In any case, I say we play the fan translated version and say our thanks.
durack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-31, 03:32   Link #444
Dextro
He Without a Title

I think Sega needs to understand what Atlus seems to understand so well about its games: they are niche outside of Japan and have a very dedicated but relatively small user base. That's a double edged sword: a small dedicated fan base will defend your game and buy it without blinking (and usually will be all over collectors editions and the like) but it won't make your game a blockbuster and, worst of all, make one wrong move (skip a title, release a bad instalment of the franchise, try to milk the playerbase with dlc, etc) and they'll scream to everyone how an awful publisher you are. They'll still came back though, that's an advantage, but they won't allow you to just milk a franchise like you would do to something more mainstream like a call of duty. Atlus knows this well, let's hope that the people who are responsible can get some of that same knowledge into Sega.
Old 2013-12-31, 09:49   Link #445
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by durack View Post
Honestly, I think you can reboot the franchise - start with iOs and Android ports, etc. But that's Sega we are talking about.
Yeah, it is... they also blew an opportunity with the web-based card game... I imagine having that available to English-speaking players would have been a relatively low-risk effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
I think Sega needs to understand what Atlus seems to understand so well about its games...
Well said, sir. It seems that entirely too many folks forget that successful A-list series don't just happen; their developers have to put in a lot of work and at some point take that proverbial leap of faith - once upon a time, Call of Duty and Half-Life were rookies in the FPS space, after all.
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-01, 00:52   Link #446
durack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly00 View Post
Yeah, it is... they also blew an opportunity with the web-based card game... I imagine having that available to English-speaking players would have been a relatively low-risk effort.

Well said, sir. It seems that entirely too many folks forget that successful A-list series don't just happen; their developers have to put in a lot of work and at some point take that proverbial leap of faith - once upon a time, Call of Duty and Half-Life were rookies in the FPS space, after all.
Not just a lot of work - VC1 developers put in tremendous work, however the truth is - VC1 barely made its money back. Once that happened, Sega had to do something. A business is a business. Why it did not sell well is another story.

Look at Demon's Souls - this is how you grow a cult franchise. Sega does not know how to do this kind of stuff.

Last edited by durack; 2014-01-01 at 01:08.
durack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-01, 08:47   Link #447
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

SEGA knows. The problem is that SEGA did not treat VC like a mothership franchise.

Mothership franchises always have 'flagship' titles that pivot their franchise, and these are games that are usually the most profilic, that lead the charge for the franchise's direction moving forward.

Persona is such example. There's many, many Persona games released over the years, but none of them were their flagship numbered series. They treat their numbered titles with the respect and elevation that a numbered title does, and that makes a big difference. There's many spin-offs, but the flagship games always push the series forward.

SEGA does this with Yakuza too. A lot more liberal, with more frequent releases, but it's clear that SEGA at least respects the franchise enough that it's always been true to the core of the series.

With VC, they didn't treat subsequent games in the franchise with the same respect that a mothership franchise should. Rather than push the second game with the same foundations as the first game to elevate the franchise upwards, they decided that stinginess was better, and instead made their franchise less valuable by migrating it entirely to handheld.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-01, 10:08   Link #448
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
With VC, they didn't treat subsequent games in the franchise with the same respect that a mothership franchise should. Rather than push the second game with the same foundations as the first game to elevate the franchise upwards, they decided that stinginess was better, and instead made their franchise less valuable by migrating it entirely to handheld.
Except that going handheld was the smart decision for the Japanese market. Take a look at the numbers and notice that there are a lot more active PSP players than PS3 players in Japan. That's why the decision to go handheld was made: to target the game's strongest market.

Where it failed was that it didn't take into account the overseas market (something that Sega tends to do with anything that's not Sonic) where the PSP is pratically a non-player and littered with illegal copy issues.

It's a shame that the Vita didn't show up sooner. Maybe that way we could have had a situation similar to what Sega eventually did with Project Diva F: dual PS3/Vita release with the handheld game being the main seller at home while the home console version leads the charge overseas.

Now that I said that I'm suddenly assaulted by dreams of a Valkyria Chronicles enhanced on the Vita. Or maybe even a collection with all 3 games on the handheld system as well as the PS3 to lead the charge and try to relaunch the franchise. One can dream right?
Old 2014-01-01, 10:26   Link #449
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

It was a logical business decision, but just because it's a logical decision means that it will translate towards actual business success.

Targeting the strongest market only matters if there's a growth of players proportionally to the install base. That did not happen with VC2 and even VC3. VC1 remained the title that carries the most weight in the entire franchise, as shown by the prominence of VC1 merchandising over VC2/3's.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-01, 19:04   Link #450
shadow1296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
It was a logical business decision, but just because it's a logical decision means that it will translate towards actual business success.

Targeting the strongest market only matters if there's a growth of players proportionally to the install base. That did not happen with VC2 and even VC3. VC1 remained the title that carries the most weight in the entire franchise, as shown by the prominence of VC1 merchandising over VC2/3's.
true, hopefully sega will give control to VC and all thier other RPG titles over to atlus since they acuired them so that hopefully we can see a VC4 in japan and also over in the US
Old 2014-01-06, 04:13   Link #451
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Well, I've had the game for a little over a week now, and I'm almost done with Chapter 4.

There's a few shoutouts to VC1 and call forwards to VC2. So far, I'm liking the story better than VC2 - the smaller cast also helps that alot, although I still haven't figured out how to make other characters squad leaders and so get that extra 1 CP per mission.

Storywise... darker, more grim. More serious. Still has funny bits, but... well if you thought the Gallian brass were assholes in the earlier games, you ain't seen nothing yet.

What I do like is that you can change classes at any time, and the Potential table is interesting: each character has 8 potentials to learn. 4 are Character-specific potentials, the other 4 are combat potentials. 3 potentials are learned as part of your class, the fourth can be any other potential you learn, and if you fulfil certain multiclass criteria, you can get super potentials. For instance, having a Character who has ground out to be a Scout Veteran and then an Engineer Veteran allows them to unlock a potential that refills their AP when it runs out. Quite interesting.

Sadly, however, it seems that you're limited to only one example of an enemy ace weapon drop (or so it seems), so you can't really farm early aces for good gear. -_-

It is well worth whatever money you spend on it - of that, I have no doubt.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-06, 15:01   Link #452
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1296 View Post
true, hopefully sega will give control to VC and all thier other RPG titles over to atlus since they acuired them so that hopefully we can see a VC4 in japan and also over in the US
Handing the franchise over to a different developer is not a good idea. I shouldn't need to explain why.
Old 2014-01-06, 15:34   Link #453
shadow1296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
Handing the franchise over to a different developer is not a good idea. I shouldn't need to explain why.
i know its a bad idea, i was just throwing the idea out there
Old 2014-01-07, 02:12   Link #454
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

It's the publishing control that Sega needed to hand over to Atlus, not development. Atlus have very few in house development team but they do bankroll/publish/localize a lot of fairly niche games from external studio.

It's hard to say what sort of collaboration happen in the future with the two publisher right now. The Hatsune miku team is working on a Persona spin off so i wouldn't be surprised if Atlus take on some Sega IP in the future either as their own project or localization work.
Old 2014-01-07, 18:34   Link #455
Destined_Fate

Are there any characters in this that share a similar relationship that Nichol and Franca have in VC2?
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-07, 20:40   Link #456
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

...sorta.

One of your Shocktroopers, who's a ojousama with a riding crop, is Leila Peron, older sister of VC1's Homer Peron. Blood related.

She may or may not be interested in Homer that way, or purely wants to educate him the way she desires to "educate" all men around her (she thinks she can get them to man up by repeated application of riding crop). Note that she first developed this fetish of hers by applying the aforesaid riding crop to Homer.

The difference between Leila & Homer and Nicol & Franca is that 1) they're blood related, 2) it's never explicitly stated what Leila's intentions are, in contrast to Nicol, whose intentions are romantic and made clear to the player, but nonetheless it doesn't seem he's going to tell Franca how he feels - at least, in the short term.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2014-01-08, 01:02   Link #457
Destined_Fate

I see... So that relationship sounds pretty abusive and odd compared to what Nichol and Franca have.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-08, 01:46   Link #458
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Pretty much.

Leila is of the belief that "educating" someone with a riding crop will correct their deficiencies as a man, based on her own experiences with Homer. Which is what got her kicked into the Nameless, since the brass don't take kindly to a militia soldier trying to educate everyone with her riding crop.

It's not stated explicitly whether Leila actually does have romantic feelings for Homer, or just wants to educate him.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2014-01-09, 10:38   Link #459
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Just finished the game today and man it's a long one even for a srpg. I gave up trying to maximize my squad halfway by unlock high potentials and just blitz through as many story missions as I can.
Old 2014-01-28, 04:17   Link #460
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Trying it with the English patch. Not bad so far except for parts where the words go far than what the boxes allow.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote