AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-01-10, 00:30   Link #61
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

I took another break from YuYu since my anime backlog was getting too large. I last saw episode 83 and at this point I feel Sensui was far from one of the greatest shounen villians. Once I return to the show again, I hope my opinion will change.

I have not been disappointed with this arc so far. It is suspenseful and intense. It never fails to keep me on the edge of my seat. It is really some of the best shounen I've ever watched. I'll post again when I'm done with the arc or I feel the need to express something.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-13, 02:05   Link #62
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^Alright you are still about 10 eps away from finishing the arc, but damn at first glance I was totally enamored with him...Even without the completion of his character arc I thought superficially he was amazing (Talking to you about this over the past few months made me go back and re-watch the arc and I can't get enuff of it)...His style, fractured personality, and complete coldness even when he gives the impression he's enjoying himself is awesome...He uses your offense against you with his amazing Resshu-ken technique (which is merely his front for basic fighting--what makes this even more incredible is that you have to master all other martial art techniques in some form to even be allowed to learn it!! Making his standard, base fighting style immaculate to say the least...Then for good measure he's even further advanced the technique by adding his own spirit energy making it the Reikoresshu-ken!!! Sheeeesh! Again these are his base-techniques!!)

Anyways you have many more episodes to understand the levels of simplistic depth (oxymoron I know^^) involved with this character...I must admit I thought you would have sensed how special he was just based on back-story (which I would love to see animated as I find his character's history to rival that of our current story's hero)...He's such a pure character who is as purley evil as he is purley good and innocent...

I actually believe he is the one character outside of Yususke whose dubbed voice really enhances the character...His suave yet callous personality is really acheived well by the english VA IMHO...Also the chemistry between him and Yusuke is off the charts...some of the best stand-off fodder in the genre...Man I get so excited when I start discussing him, hurry up and finish!!
Old 2007-01-17, 15:20   Link #63
alkoholio

Very well elaborated wingdarkness, yet you forgot one big thing, that is to say the way sensui ends up pretty cruel for an presumably straight man. Just kidding, I pretty much concur with your opinion about sensui, he also is one of my all time favourite "villains".
But the charakter that I somehow find the most interesting in YYH is Mukuro, even though it`s only a side character I`m really into that one( tries to avoid a spoiler). Oh and sorry if I interrupted your little 2 man rendezvous @ sannin and wing ^^.
alkoholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-17, 18:01   Link #64
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

The more the better. It's a shame it's been mostly the two of us so welcome to the party. I'm going to be watching the last episode of the Black Chapters arc a little later and all I'll say right now is that I have completely changed my mind about Sensui. This arc has utterly rocked. Now I just have to watch episode 94 to see its wrap-up.

Wow. What a ride. Was this really filler? Considering the way it ended, that seems hard to believe!

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-01-18, 03:28   Link #65
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Okay... I'm finally done with the Chapter Black arc and I'll start watching the next arc (whatever its called) soon. Now it's time for my end of the arc wrap-up. At least a bit of it.

Spoiler for end of Chapter Black Saga:

Old 2007-01-18, 03:38   Link #66
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Chapter Black was filler? News to me. It's role in the manga and the anime were both extremely important, and served as somewhat as a tome to another internal background (( semi-related to Sensui's will )) and personal conflict of the later arc.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-18, 03:41   Link #67
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Chapter Black was in the manga? Then it's not filler. (By definition, filler is a story in the anime that is not in the manga.) I was going by this post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
[YuYu Hakusho] has the best filler arc too which BLEACH right now is trying to copy and has really expanded on but it's not quite as dark and artistically stylish as YuYu...
Since Bleach just copied the Chapter Black Saga, it clearly seems to say that the Chapter Black Saga was filler.

Old 2007-01-18, 03:49   Link #68
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Maybe wingdarkness misworded it. The C.B wannabe, Bount Arc is filler since it's not in the Bleach manga, but Chapter Black for all it's worth is a legit major story arc in the manga. Hell, I'd go the extent to say that it's even more important than the last arc in YuYu.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2007-01-20, 16:50   Link #69
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Remember NSW I said from the very start that it's not Chapter Black that was the filler but the "Human Psychics" sub-arc contained within it...Genkai's 3 psychics and their lessons for Yususke and company mirrors almost exactly the mod-soul sub-arc of the bounto arc...Then the rest of Chapter Black (the real arc starts at ep 79 when they kidnap Kuwabara I suppose) is manga legit however Bleach's filler arc pretty much takes many dynamics from the real arc aswell as the filler sub-arc (With Ishida playing the role of Kuwabara for some time)...

Spoiler for the end of The Chapter Black arc:

I find people who brush off YuYu as some OK shonen really are missing the depth that shows like Naruto, Bleach, DBZ, etc., could only dream to have...The expressionism found in this series rivals that of pretty much anything I've ever seen...Which is why I have so passion in discussing this particular arc and it's amazing boss character...
Old 2007-01-20, 18:55   Link #70
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Human Psyshics sub-arc IS NOT A FILLER. It's in the manga.

Spoiler for Chapter Black:

Old 2007-01-20, 23:51   Link #71
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^I guess I stand corrected since that's what I'd been told for sometime now by a few people...If that's not it what's the YuYu filler arc I've heard people talk about?

Spoiler for more on Black Angel:
Old 2007-01-21, 00:05   Link #72
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Spoiler for Is it even filler?:

Old 2007-01-22, 02:48   Link #73
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Spoiler for Sensui and the end of Black Chapters:

Now I'm starting the Three Kings arc... things certainly do get more complicated.
Spoiler for Three Kings arc:

Old 2007-01-22, 11:32   Link #74
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^LOL You see? I told you this is my hands down favorite shonen for a reason...I wonder if things will end up as you suspect? hmmm....

Spoiler for Last Word:

Last edited by wingdarkness; 2007-01-22 at 12:28.
wingdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-22, 11:43   Link #75
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Heh...about Yuusuke's future...

Spoiler for VERY VERY minor hint:

Old 2007-01-22, 19:16   Link #76
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Well, I'm not reading that hint. :P

Spoiler for Sensui and Three Kings:

Old 2007-01-22, 20:11   Link #77
Souryu
nothing at all...

Spoiler for a little bit about The Three Kings Arc:
Souryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-23, 10:32   Link #78
KuwabaraTheMan
The True Protagonist

Send a message via AIM to KuwabaraTheMan
Ah yes, Yu Yu Hakusho. One of my all time favorite anime. Such a great show, especially Kuwabara who became one of my favorite characters ever. And for what it's worth, I found YYH had one of the best dubs ever, and actually prefered it to the Japanese version.
KuwabaraTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-23, 13:50   Link #79
Ronin Aquila
Sky Warrior

A (More Or Less) Thoughtful Analysis Of This Saga

This is my take on what Yuyu Hakusho fundamentally is.

When you strip away all the ferociously beautiful combat and the poetically epic supernaturalism, what you are left with is the following simple, but poignant tale that anyone who has ever been a boy can readily relate to:

It is a tale of three boys who woke up one day to find that life has lost all meaning.

All three searched for new meanings onto which they constructed their notions of masculinity, and hence life.

Unfortunately, it is constructed upon the uncomplicated notions of manliness perceived through the eyes of a child; a fantasy world of clear cut moralities and ideals that are utterly incompatible with the ambiguity and complexity of adult life. Instead of finding a concrete notion of manliness, they found bitterness, having being exhausted by the futile pursuit of an ephemeral ideal. Though they have seemingly grown up on the outside, the heart of a confused boy still beats within.

For the third boy, the wheel had come full-circle: in spite of all that he has seemingly gained, he is exactly as empty as he was on the day he lost the will to live.

Hewatched as his two seniors allow themselves to wallow into the depths of dissatisfaction until their hearts died, consumed by cyncism. Refusing to walk down their path, the boy finally relinquishes his preconceived notions of masculinity garnered from the narrow world of boyhood.

And rather than just becoming a man, he finally grows up.

Phew, hope that wasn't too pretentious.

Last edited by Ronin Aquila; 2007-01-24 at 12:48.
Ronin Aquila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-09, 00:32   Link #80
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Dang I've been offline and busy for almost a month but still some good stuff...I'll assume you're finally finished NSW and while it doesn't seem you enjoyed as much as I did (or rather some of my specifics) you seemed to enjoy it much more than you orginally thought (No fighting shonen is quite in it's class IMO)...As for Yusuke being this over-powering grunt without a back-story to your liking or as incredible as his teammates (Sensui notwithstanding), I think that's fine...For a drop-out kid whose druken lush of a mother had him at 15 for a dad he's never seen I'd say becoming the most powerful being on earth ain't too shabby... And for Keiko aslong as time has existed chicks dig dudes who kick a$$ and are protetctive of them...The point is she loves him despite all of his freakish powers, even at the risk she'd lose him because of his lifestyle...Keiko loves a chosen one and whatever sorrows you feel for her they indeed come with that territory.... I mean when your walking down a creepy back alley with Yusuke on your arm the troubles seem to just wash away... Yusuke may not be too book-smarted but he's got good common sense and with all he's learned (Especially in the wake of his final fight in the series) I'm sure he'll find a way to make a living...Winning a few martial arts tourneys or perhaps even joining a multi-million dollar sport's team with his athletic abilities will buy Keiko as much as she needs I'm sure ^^...Yusuke's no saint and he'll do what he needs to do to put some bread in his back-pocket until the next legendary match (which we'll never see) takes place...He's quite a unique hero despite his simplicity for me...

Tags
shounen