AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-01-27, 19:03   Link #1841
allfictions
Of Infinite Resignation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
He still hasn't beaten Bartimaeus quite yet... That would be pretty hard... He's getting warmer though... (his sarcasm has been improving recently...)
I see we havve the same tastes in snarky/smartass protagonists

They are even more funnier when it is in first person narration.
This is nine! Nine! This is nine! Nine! This is ten! Ten! We have killed your friends! Every friend is now dead! This is six! Six! ... Eighteen! This is now eighteen! Take cover when the siren sounds! This is four! Four! ... Five! This is five! Ignore the siren! Even if you leave this room, you can never leave this room! Eight! This is eight! ... Six, this is six. This is goddamn fucking six!
Old 2014-01-28, 01:30   Link #1842
Hiss13
No time to sleep, 不幸だ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacredus View Post
Thats true. Western readers just like badasses and he is nothing like that. He probably would be at bottom of popularity contest here - not even close to characters like Levi, Koujou form StB, Kirito, Gintoki, Maou from Hataraku or even Lelouch.
I would have to disagree with that statement entirely. Touma is not badass? Are you sure that we're reading the same novel series?
Old 2014-01-28, 01:57   Link #1843
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiss13 View Post
I would have to disagree with that statement entirely. Touma is not badass? Are you sure that we're reading the same novel series?
The only way I could interpret that is what he actually meant are 'haxx' badass character who can easily stomp on most people, that excel in one area so much whether it's strength or intelligence.

Kamijou is neither- he's just a "Normal high school boy who just happen to have a special power in his right hand whose spec isn't that good".
Old 2014-01-28, 01:59   Link #1844
SmokinFerret88
Comrade Ferret

I second Hiss's statement here.

Touma not a badass....explain this to me please?

Though this may be old, it still holds relevance nonetheless.

On the subject of that list, you know who's not on it who should be? Onizuka Eikichi: totally deserves to be on that list; just sayin.

Mugino is Love.

Mugino is Life.

Shizuri's my Dove.

Shizuri's my Wife.
Old 2014-01-28, 03:25   Link #1845
Thatguy3331
Pro Slacker

Can I just state for the record that I REALLY FUCKING HATE doing the whole "OH LETS SEE WHO CHARACTER CAN BEAT THIS CHARACTER!" Type of charade?

*Mumbles and Grumbles for an hour in the background*

Ok...now what thread am I in again? *Checks* Oh right.

On the topic of Touma being badass, I find him to be very much so, but my view on what makes a badass may be a tad different from others, especially given I'm not quite as big on series like medaka box or fairy tail (actually I've really grown to detest that series over time) that I see as everyone else's favorites and I am in no way interested in magical girl series. I wouldn't say he's my favorite main character ever, but I'd be lying through my teeth if I said he wasn't the best kind of character for this series. He seems to provide just the right amount of elements in order for this series to work, to where he can survive and overcome challenges but still struggle enough to keep us entertained.

Ok yes I do think Hamazura may be a bit better on that front but I always seem to apply what I call the 'spiegel Principle'. Even if I think a side character like say Jet is a better character, there's always going to be that something that's going to make me say 'Man, isn't spike cool?'. That always seems to happen a lot with me and because of this I've really enjoyed reading his segments of the story especially when it came to the latter half of OT.

The problem there however was that while I finally got to see what went through Touma's mind he was still mostly a reactionary character. That isn't entirely a bad thing in my book but he was always doing something for someone else, out of his own desire yes, but he never had his own goal other than to protect other. Which is why I was delighted to see that the NT series was going to tackle this and I look forward to seeing where he goes next in the series.
Old 2014-01-28, 10:21   Link #1846
Kenju of the Right
Imagine Breaker

Hamazura? nah, with the overall themes and such with whats going on, I'd say Touma is perfect
Intellectual Village: Volume 6 Chapter 3
Mitou Shoukan:// Blood Sign Volume 1 Chapter 1
Heavy Object: Volume 10 Complete
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk: Volume 7 Chapter 2
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Volume 12 Chapter 12
Rokka no Yuusha Volume 4 Chapter 1

Old 2014-01-28, 13:54   Link #1847
Sacredus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiss13 View Post
Chaos2Frozen had answered this for me:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
The only way I could interpret that is what he actually meant are 'haxx' badass character who can easily stomp on most people, that excel in one area so much whether it's strength or intelligence.

Kamijou is neither- he's just a "Normal high school boy who just happen to have a special power in his right hand whose spec isn't that good".
He have motivation, stubbornness and fighting skill, but he lacks any real strength. I'm also tired his endless adding girls to harem - well thats is mainly Kirito and his waifu from 1st volume fault, but "rescue, add to harem, cast aside, repeat" thing is really annoying. But all that may be easily fixed. He need just power up his IB, keep protecting Othinus (it's Touma, I don't believe in any more development that knight protecting his princess or something) till the end if he decided to do so and maybe teach Index how to behave... at least not to bite his head.
Old 2014-01-28, 17:56   Link #1848
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacredus View Post
Chaos2Frozen had answered this for me:

He have motivation, stubbornness and fighting skill, but he lacks any real strength. I'm also tired his endless adding girls to harem - well thats is mainly Kirito and his waifu from 1st volume fault, but "rescue, add to harem, cast aside, repeat" thing is really annoying. But all that may be easily fixed. He need just power up his IB, keep protecting Othinus (it's Touma, I don't believe in any more development that knight protecting his princess or something) till the end if he decided to do so and maybe teach Index how to behave... at least not to bite his head.
He isn't actually adding girls to his harem you know... he wasn't even aware of the fact that they liked him/cared about him that much... he's completely clueless... In contrast, other "harem" characters usually can tell that the girls like him...

So it's not really fair to say Touma is adding people to his harem. His personality just convinces him to protect other people, which is different from trying to add them to his harem. He's as much as said that too...

I agree that a lot of Westerners like characters who get absurdly powerful for no reason because they're special rather than characters who have to shape their own destiny through clever work. This is a common trait of shows popular in the west... people tend to like to see characters who are special or amazing, because they try to identify themselves with this character. When people grow up (more...) though and don't feel like that anymore that type of series loses its appeal somewhat. Touma is refreshing because everything he wins, doesn't come easily to him at all.( Just like Bartimaeus...)
Old 2014-01-28, 18:42   Link #1849
Goldzero

Quote:
He isn't actually adding girls to his harem you know... he wasn't even aware of the fact that they liked him/cared about him that much... he's completely clueless... In contrast, other "harem" characters usually can tell that the girls like him...

So it's not really fair to say Touma is adding people to his harem. His personality just convinces him to protect other people, which is different from trying to add them to his harem. He's as much as said that too...

I agree that a lot of Westerners like characters who get absurdly powerful for no reason because they're special rather than characters who have to shape their own destiny through clever work. This is a common trait of shows popular in the west... people tend to like to see characters who are special or amazing, because they try to identify themselves with this character. When people grow up (more...) though and don't feel like that anymore that type of series loses its appeal somewhat. Touma is refreshing because everything he wins, doesn't come easily to him at all.( Just like Bartimaeus...)
i agree with you Dniv. funny part is, i use to think characters like naruto, goku, and ichcigo were great and certain characters like touma were not appealing whatsoever towards me. i disliked kamijou at first and thought accelerator was the only likable character in the series(mikoto was ok to me back then) but as i aged on i began to noticed my taste began to change and seen how cliche naruto and ichigo were, especially goku. i began to learn about plot armor(granted touma has it as well but doesn't bother me) and started to understand touma, oops i meant "touMAN" character. i noticed the difference between him from most shounen leads and of course accelerator and mikoto were far more likable towards me later on as well. still i prefer touma and accelerator over BriBri but love her none of the less. and now that i think about it, i don't hate kiroto whatsoever. just disappointed when things turn bad after episode 8. i wish klaude and him were more interacting then kiroto being with asuna. the cliche romance ruined it for me.
Old 2014-01-29, 13:03   Link #1850
WiliamZ0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakaizer View Post
Touma deserves to be praised and loved

even in an anime facebook were there are 39000+people page TOUma is being praised

there is an ongoing battle between two Teams and Kamijou Touma is in it
the setup is like DOTA , except the heroes are anime characters

for the teams
Spoiler for team:
This is just bullsh*t seriously. If you put this on Western side, It's too obvious which team will win.

I like Touma and Luffy and Kakashi and Maou (even personality wise)
I hate Natsu, Levi, Leoch
Kinda like Kirito, but he just too annoying for my taste
Gil is... Seems out of place
Killua ... well kinda, like him better than Kirito
Who the other one (beside Gitoki)

OVerall, I chose A

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldzero View Post
i agree with you Dniv. funny part is, i use to think characters like naruto, goku, and ichcigo were great and certain characters like touma were not appealing whatsoever towards me. i disliked kamijou at first and thought accelerator was the only likable character in the series(mikoto was ok to me back then) but as i aged on i began to noticed my taste began to change and seen how cliche naruto and ichigo were, especially goku. i began to learn about plot armor(granted touma has it as well but doesn't bother me) and started to understand touma, oops i meant "touMAN" character. i noticed the difference between him from most shounen leads and of course accelerator and mikoto were far more likable towards me later on as well. still i prefer touma and accelerator over BriBri but love her none of the less. and now that i think about it, i don't hate kiroto whatsoever. just disappointed when things turn bad after episode 8. i wish klaude and him were more interacting then kiroto being with asuna. the cliche romance ruined it for me.
If you asked me, I will make it far simple. Shonen filled with many cliche character. Not many of them really interesting beside the power and not counted plot armor. Where basically ensure they will win in the end. Touma is lots interesting, he defeat his enemy not through power only, but through heart.

Kirito ... well, I stopped following SAO since too many cliche romance. Me also not like harem. While some like DAL or IS or TWGOK filled with amazing female character. They (including the boys) just too boring in the end. Totally feel foolish for following them in first place. Wonder how they still able to get high sale. Not counting how many fan-service there.

While Touma is more like 0 in romance, he not picked girl like the way they do. and he never expected them to feel that way for him. Seems one of Kamachi' joke about how LN writer adding new girl OC for basically fan-service or adding their sales isn't wrong at all. (I should have learn my lesson that harem isn't genre I like at all)

Last edited by WiliamZ0; 2014-01-29 at 13:15.
Old 2014-01-29, 13:26   Link #1851
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiliamZ0 View Post
This is just bullsh*t seriously. If you put this on Western side, It's too obvious which team will win.

I like Touma and Luffy and Kakashi and Maou (even personality wise)
I hate Natsu, Levi, Leoch
Kinda like Kirito, but he just too annoying for my taste
Gil is... Seems out of place
Killua ... well kinda, like him better than Kirito
Who the other one (beside Gitoki)

OVerall, I chose A
WHAT!!!! YOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUU! DON'T KNOW IZAYOI!!!!

http://mondaiji-tachi-ga-isekai-kara...akamaki_Izayoi

GO Read/Watch Mondaiji noW!! its one of the good things that happen in the world and your missing it.

And I prefer him over Tatsuya. Tatsuya is cool but.... >_> dull. Maybe its because its overly emphasize on Miyuki.

Like I said before.

Touma won't win in popularity poll in western popularity poll. That's bullsh6t

I think Accelerator is more popular than Touma in western isles.
Old 2014-01-29, 14:10   Link #1852
Wandering Soul

I have heard Izayoi and he seems pretty cool but I also heard he can come off as sort of Gary Stu. Also it appears we have the same opinion of Tatsuya. I think everyone here is in agreement that while Touma is awesome he is not popular enough to win a Western popualrity poll.
Old 2014-01-29, 14:56   Link #1853
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one above all View Post
I have heard Izayoi and he seems pretty cool but I also heard he can come off as sort of Gary Stu.
I'm fine as long as it doesn't involve harem and he has only 1 girl.

If you want comparison. His Accelerator + Index + Kuroko combine. Isn't that nice
Old 2014-01-29, 15:41   Link #1854
Kenju of the Right
Imagine Breaker

ah yeah him, I just dont like his type of character
Intellectual Village: Volume 6 Chapter 3
Mitou Shoukan:// Blood Sign Volume 1 Chapter 1
Heavy Object: Volume 10 Complete
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk: Volume 7 Chapter 2
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Volume 12 Chapter 12
Rokka no Yuusha Volume 4 Chapter 1

Old 2014-01-29, 16:50   Link #1855
Thatguy3331
Pro Slacker

Hey guys? Can we talk about Touma again? Please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenju of the Right View Post
Hamazura? nah, with the overall themes and such with whats going on, I'd say Touma is perfect
That isn't what I was talking about, I speaking more in terms of general character and how badly each of them has to pretty much 'die hard' their way through impossible odds. Both have to do it pretty badly but Touma has IB while Hamazura literally has jack shit. (I'm the kind of guy who likes seeing characters struggle) In terms of themes in where the story is now on the otherhand I would agree, but I would like to note Kamichi hasn't done much with him in the NT series yet (if ever) so like with Touma that can always change. (However I wish to save that for another time/thread, we're already going somewhat off-topic.)
Old 2014-01-30, 01:56   Link #1856
WiliamZ0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
WHAT!!!! YOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUU! DON'T KNOW IZAYOI!!!!

http://mondaiji-tachi-ga-isekai-kara...akamaki_Izayoi

GO Read/Watch Mondaiji noW!! its one of the good things that happen in the world and your missing it.

And I prefer him over Tatsuya. Tatsuya is cool but.... >_> dull. Maybe its because its overly emphasize on Miyuki.

Like I said before.

Touma won't win in popularity poll in western popularity poll. That's bullsh6t

I think Accelerator is more popular than Touma in western isles.
Don't talk me as if it's a sin I will definitely read it later if you say he's good.

let's admit the fact

Touma won't win in popularity poll in western popularity poll. Unless The Western finally realized the cliche of Shonen Hero
Old 2014-01-30, 02:12   Link #1857
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiliamZ0 View Post

Touma won't win in popularity poll in western popularity poll. Unless The Western finally realized the cliche of Shonen Hero
Not happening. They are called Shounen Hero for a reason because they are made to be like by teenage boys. They are made to cater those minds that like to be hero or adventure. Pure in a way that is easy to relate with.

Western kids to teenage age dig for those type of character.

Well even if a mature one or an old one can relate to them. Looking back at their past.

its an easy way to earn cash. They are sold easily if done right.
Old 2014-01-30, 03:14   Link #1858
WiliamZ0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
Not happening. They are called Shounen Hero for a reason because they are made to be like by teenage boys. They are made to cater those minds that like to be hero or adventure. Pure in a way that is easy to relate with.

Western kids to teenage age dig for those type of character.

Well even if a mature one or an old one can relate to them. Looking back at their past.

its an easy way to earn cash. They are sold easily if done right.
Yeah, I know that fact. In Japan, lots of people like Touma, East side too. Western ... I don't think Touma will ever shine for them
Old 2014-01-30, 05:55   Link #1859
Doc Astaroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatguy3331 View Post
Both have to do it pretty badly but Touma has IB while Hamazura literally has jack shit.
Nah, Hamazura has weapon proficiency, lock smith skills and can drive all kind of vehicles!

He also knows how to hold a rousing speech (for Aqua nontheless) and is somewhat experience in laying ambushes...

So yeah, he doesn't need some kind of superpower. He needs an army he can lead!
Old 2014-01-30, 11:47   Link #1860
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Astaroth View Post
So yeah, he doesn't need some kind of superpower. He needs an army he can lead!
Because being the leader for Skill Out for one night worked out so well for him ?
Closed Thread