AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-04-04, 14:40   Link #61
Ronny

Maybe crunchyroll works for you, Quarkboy? For me crunchyroll is region locked (am in Greece, btw), but youtube works fine. Haven't checked out BOST, as I don't feel like registering considering youtube works.

Was very impressed with the subbing, expected Engrish and such, but none there. Also had typesetting (while not AFX style pretty, but that's not the point of it anywho) in a readable way (so not like some(/most?) official DVD subs). Definitely applauding Gonzo for this, too bad it's not happening yet for shows I was actually anticipating XD.

The first episode was surprisingly nice though (biased sort of as I wasn't looking forward to the show at all), I laughed a bunch of times and will definitely check out the coming episodes. It kind of reminded me of that episode of NHK with how it seems that there's a real life world as well, and the Druaga world is more of a parody of (online) RPG games (although it might be more serious in coming episodes, hope not too serious though - the comedy was good.)

All in all, they won me over after this first episode, hopefully they'll keep it up.
Ronny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 14:40   Link #62
myopius

Yeah, the translation was excellent. There weren't a lot of honorifics used so I don't know if those were eliminated. They translated text too, which appeared several times and was important to the plot. And the OP/ED had no karaoke of any sort, of course. Included preview for next episode.

I agree with Tsukiyomi... I'm hoping this, in spite of its clear humor, may have the potential to be a serious member of the adventure genre. Although the presence of a loli in the OP/ED discourages me.

The quality was certainly fairly LQ. At times when characters were far away from the "camera" POV, those faces were very fuzzy. It wasn't bad though.

I'd like to know more about the DRM for the HQ version... I wonder if it would be possible to, if I paid for it, use my friend's laptop to play it.

Anyway, the episode itself was hilarious. Humor style reminded me strongly of Hayate no Gotoku (more for the action scenes) and Seto no Hanayome (more for the character interaction).

The episode's end was a surprise... It seems that the coming episodes will have a different tone than this one. Probably still a lot of humor, but not quite as heavy as it was this episode, and the plot won't be as fast-paced as it was this episode.

Spoiler for Thoughts on forthcoming episodes:
Old 2008-04-04, 14:40   Link #63
aroduc
Ruiner of Things

Ska OP

Yeah, this wasn't what I was expecting at all.

Some places the jokes were really really terrible... like bad puns you'd expect from a five year old. The end was pretty hilarious though.

Caps:
http://blog.seiha.org/?p=751
aroduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 14:55   Link #64
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronny View Post
Maybe crunchyroll works for you, Quarkboy? For me crunchyroll is region locked (am in Greece, btw), but youtube works fine. Haven't checked out BOST, as I don't feel like registering considering youtube works.
Nope, I checked, crunchyroll, youtube, and bost are all region locked for japan. Not that it surprises me. You can't have japanese people watching streams for other countries (even though they could watch it on tv for free), cause that'd hurt local DVD sales! *sarcasm*
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 14:58   Link #65
Kusaja

Crunchyroll seems to be blocking other countries other than just Japan, however. The other two seem to work just fine.
Kusaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 15:01   Link #66
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandruff View Post
That was hilarious, I laughed so hard during the tentacle scene... among the many other funny scenes as well, especially this little 'gag'.

"When this battle is over, I'm going back to my hometown and get married."
Yeah, I couldn't believe that scene was there too.(Gonzo got naughty there.) Nico Nico parody was funny too. Then Druaga had me laughing with the Star Wars reference and yelled "Druaga Beam!"

I wasn't expecting a parody and comedy in this. Boy, that was fun. Too bad I can't keep a computer version of the BOST TV version.
Old 2008-04-04, 15:18   Link #67
U<3Anime
Boo!

Wow, this show was unexpectedly hilarious. There is so much cliches and parodies packed into one episode that I was laughing pretty much the whole way. But judging by how the episode ends, it seems it's going to turn to a more serious direction. It feels like episode 1 is kind of like a "one time deal" where it was an episode made for the animators to mess around with. I hope I'm wrong though, since I think a non-serious tone approach is a pretty good idea.

Anyway, a few favourite parts of mine from this ep

"When this battle is over, I'm going back to my hometown and get married" LoL this is pretty much like the "kiss of death"

The archer guy's clothes explodes when he gets defeated by Jill xD(I assume this is a parody of tenjou tenge, ikkitousen, sekirei or some other anime similar)

Archer guy is left for dead

Tentacle rape: Wooooot!

"W-What did you say?" Classic, most overused line ever xD
Old 2008-04-04, 15:28   Link #68
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by U<3Anime View Post
The archer guy's clothes explodes when he gets defeated by Jill xD(I assume this is a parody of tenjou tenge, ikkitousen, sekirei or some other anime similar)
Actually, it's most likely a Ghosts 'n Goblins reference.
Shouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 15:43   Link #69
U<3Anime
Boo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shouta View Post
Actually, it's most likely a Ghosts 'n Goblins reference.
Ohhhhhh yea....the underpants! That slipped right through my mind
Old 2008-04-04, 16:02   Link #70
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

just finish it on youtube

pretty funny, looks like i will be spending the money afterall.
Old 2008-04-04, 16:28   Link #71
ortadragoon

can somone link me to the youtube ep? i cant seem to find it
ortadragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 16:38   Link #72
Dark Koji

Hmm, surprisingly, the youtube video quality is actually significantly sharper than the LQ version in crunchyroll. =_=

@ortadragoon
Check out the link: http://www.youtube.com/user/TTODruagaAE
You can probably find the episode somewhere from there...
Dark Koji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 16:44   Link #73
hcl4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vgQ6WJ8zhQ&fmt=18
for the version with stereo audio and better overall quality. The Crunchyroll version looked quite bad but I guess that's their way of getting people to buy into the download version which is DRM free xvid.
hcl4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 16:44   Link #74
orion

Also surprisingly, Crunchyroll has some high rollers. Look at how much episode 1 netted from those guys.

Looks like GDH contracted with BOST TV for the subtitles. BOST TV added some more stuff in their version which was more noticeable in the Nico Nico parody scene.
Old 2008-04-04, 16:49   Link #75
cyth
Banned

And that's not counting the more realistic folks who donated $1, $2, $5...
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 16:56   Link #76
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Some of the jokes were a little bad, though overall i enjoyed the episode. It does make me wonder what will happen story wise in later episodes.
Old 2008-04-04, 16:59   Link #77
SinsI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
Nope, I checked, crunchyroll, youtube, and bost are all region locked for japan. Not that it surprises me. You can't have japanese people watching streams for other countries (even though they could watch it on tv for free), cause that'd hurt local DVD sales! *sarcasm*
Just watch it through Google Translate Tool. Did it to try crunchyroll's version
SinsI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 17:02   Link #78
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Yeah they had to put a spin on the tentacle rape bit. Let's just wait a little bit, no rush apparently . Or knocking out your ally and then just leaving him to his fate. Joking with the good old having one guy stay behind to buy time for the rest. Or the 'hero' two-timing and making a couple promises to get married.

Not a bad first episode with all the cliches being made fun of here. Does look like they will get somewhat more serious from episode 2 onwards.
Old 2008-04-04, 17:04   Link #79
orion

Yep, our hero got fired at the end of the first episode. So much for being in it to kill the demon only.
Old 2008-04-04, 17:07   Link #80
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Note that there was also a classic five man band there too, it seemed to try the cliches for all it's got. I don't think they're gonna try a particularly more serious tone later on though as otherwise they wouldn't have started with a parody episode.

Of course the real question is whether Gonzo can keep up the pace, I hope they can, And is this going into the fansubbed or Licensed section?
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, adventure, fantasy, gonzo, rpg