AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2008-11-19, 02:57   Link #1041
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendevous View Post
The concept of having large robots walking or running around in a city as opposed to tanks and jet fighters is actually a very bad idea. Considering the size of the Gundam and its sluggish movements due to the size of it, just moving around will cause severe damage to the surrounding infrastructures, not mentioning the people in town will also end up as either the injured or the casualty. The Gundams, if exist can only be operated in wide area with little or no people around, such as the desert, the antaractic, and possibly space. However, when it comes to war, people don't get to choose the location of the battlefield. Generally, it is actually a bad idea to make the existence of Gundams a reality.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-19, 06:05   Link #1042
FateAnomaly

If they really make gundams, it is certainly not to take walks in the cities. They will be deployed to destroy targets. Still they are impractical to use. Too big a target. Unless they really have the gundam armor and the ridiculous firepower. Really, forget the gundams, just invent the guns that they use and they can take over the world.

Anyway, the objective is not really to make a gundam but to take a shot at the scientific challenges of such a endeavour.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-19, 21:46   Link #1043
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Happy loos make happy people
Quote:
Singapore (Nov 20, 2008): Singaporeans still need to improve their toilet etiquette, as many people continue to litter the floor and not flush after use.

That is the feedback from the cleaners, professionals and toilet assessors my paper spoke to yesterday at the launch of the Let's Observe Ourselves (Loo) campaign 2008-10 at the Singapore Zoo.

The Loo campaign is the latest initiative by Restroom Association (Singapore) to get people to participate in its revamped Happy Toilet Programme (HTP), launched in 2003.

Ms Tan Puay Hoon, president of RAS, observed that "some of us are very inconsiderate". Citing examples of toilets littered with dirty paper rolls, she said that Singaporeans clearly lack a "toilet culture".

Ms Priscilla Char, 60, a toilet assessor employed by RAS, felt that toilet users in general "are quite indifferent" about keeping toilets clean. "They think that is the cleaner's job," she said.

On a brighter note, Ms Tan felt that Singaporeans' restroom etiquette had probably improved by 10 per cent since HTP was launched. The RAS marked World Toilet Day yesterday, and wants to get 70 per cent of Singapore's 35,000 public toilets certified as "Happy Toilets" by the end of 2010.

The Singapore Zoo is committed to this goal. It will revamp its seven toilets to achieve the a five-star rating. Its Garden Pavilion toilet already has this top rating. It boasts eco-friendly facilities that help boost customer satisfaction.

- THE STRAITS TIMES, MY PAPER
This gives a whole new meaning to toilet humour.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-19, 23:48   Link #1044
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Happy loos make happy people

This gives a whole new meaning to toilet humour.
http://www.worldtoilet.org

This comes from the first country in the world to have a World Toilet Association and
World Toilet College

And the founder's Singaporean too. http://www.worldtoilet.org/aboutus3.asp
ZephyrLeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-20, 08:17   Link #1045
Shadow Kira01

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...1cVlYDu-PFUqyw

It is rare for an animation guru that doesn't make political anime to make a debut in the political world with a first strike at the Japanese Prime Minister Taro Aso. Perhaps, Miyazaki does have a point, considering the age of the prime minister and his interest in manga is rather odd. On the contrary, is there an age limit for manga readers?
Old 2008-11-20, 12:01   Link #1046
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post

It is rare for an animation guru that doesn't make political anime to make a debut in the political world with a first strike at the Japanese Prime Minister Taro Aso. Perhaps, Miyazaki does have a point, considering the age of the prime minister and his interest in manga is rather odd. On the contrary, is there an age limit for manga readers?
WTF. Own goal LOL.
Old 2008-11-20, 12:41   Link #1047
mac_pack

Location: On top of Mount Slecka in the valley of Raccon Don O.
Quote:

Oooo, look at mister hoity toity. Shut your face, Miyazaki. Just because you're a big shot with a political axe to grind doesn't mean your opinon is anything other than that.

I don't give a shit about Aso's politics or anything else, but if he wants to talk about his hobby, then leave the man be. Fauntleroy.
mac_pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-20, 12:47   Link #1048
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_pack View Post
Oooo, look at mister hoity toity. Shut your face, Miyazaki. Just because you're a big shot with a political axe to grind doesn't mean your opinon is anything other than that.

I don't give a shit about Aso's politics or anything else, but if he wants to talk about his hobby, then leave the man be. Fauntleroy.
Actually Aso is doing a good thing for world peace via manga. In 2007, as Minister for Foreign Affairs, he established the International Manga Award for non-Japanese manga artists].

What I have to pick on is
Quote:
In October 2008, the Japanese media reported that Aso went to restaurants and bars in luxury hotels almost nightly. When asked about it, Aso stated, "I won't change my style. Luckily I have my money and can afford it." Aso added that if he went anywhere else, he would have to be accompanied by security guards which would cause trouble.
Now this...
Old 2008-11-20, 13:53   Link #1049
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:

No, japanese read manga at all ages... its just WHAT KIND of manga that may be an issue. You're sort of expected to read certain categories depending on age. Do we know what kind of manga he reads? (josei, seinen, shounen, etc?)

Miyazaki spends a fair amount of time harumphing and pretending that he and his works are not part of the anime/manga culture. I'd pretty much mark his statements as more of that nonsense.
Old 2008-11-20, 14:00   Link #1050
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
No, japanese read manga at all ages... its just WHAT KIND of manga that may be an issue. You're sort of expected to read certain categories depending on age. Do we know what kind of manga he reads? (josei, seinen, shounen, etc?)

Miyazaki spends a fair amount of time harumphing and pretending that he and his works are not part of the anime/manga culture. I'd pretty much mark his statements as more of that nonsense.
Really? I had no idea.
Old 2008-11-20, 14:05   Link #1051
Theowne
耳をすませば

Well, when I look at the Akihabara/otaku "moe/eroge,etc..." culture which dominates the "anime scene"......I don't blame him.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-20, 14:36   Link #1052
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Really? I had no idea.
check the VA for his films, none of them are in the anime industry.

he refuse to hired va form the anime industry
Old 2008-11-20, 14:44   Link #1053
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Its rather like PBS trying to say its not part of the same framework that brought us such soaring pieces as "Knight Rider" "The Dukes of Hazard" or "Baywatch".
Its all television, ya know.

Miyazaki might be able to argue quality successfully.... but not the format/media.
Old 2008-11-20, 16:16   Link #1054
Solais
Youkai of Coincidence

As far as I know, Aso's favorite anime/manga is Rozen Maiden. As I heard, at least.
Solais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-20, 16:21   Link #1055
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
As far as I know, Aso's favorite anime/manga is Rozen Maiden. As I heard, at least.
which is why i have great hopes of a rm 3rd season.
Old 2008-11-20, 17:39   Link #1056
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

It seems as though Miyazaki thinks of himself as the only true animation auteur in Japan.

Last edited by GuidoHunter_Toki; 2008-11-20 at 17:58.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-20, 18:45   Link #1057
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
I dropped both seasons 1 and 2, watched the 2-episode ova which was okay, but a bit too long. Depending on the seiyuu cast, I might try to watch a possible 3rd season.
Old 2008-11-20, 21:03   Link #1058
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
The PM will personally make sure of that... or will he?
Old 2008-11-20, 21:10   Link #1059
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
I believe Miyazaki wanted to make a point that Aso's claims of being a manga fan are merely a facade in order to inject some liveliness (read: money) into Japan's manga industry. It doesn't seem too far-fetched considering Japan is going through some really harsh times, economy-wise.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-20, 21:24   Link #1060
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
I believe Miyazaki wanted to make a point that Aso's claims of being a manga fan are merely a facade in order to inject some liveliness (read: money) into Japan's manga industry. It doesn't seem too far-fetched considering Japan is going through some really harsh times, economy-wise.
Well, it's a good thing. Miyazaki can go ramble all he wants, Aso will ensure better international relationships. And we'll look back in history and thank him for the peace he created.

Tags
humor