AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-04-27, 15:30   Link #1321
immblueversion

For the sake of argument, could I get some sales figures for the DVD? I think some concrete evidence could help clear up any misconceptions. Because honestly, I don't think I've ever seen the sales themselves either.

I just know what you should be doing.
Old 2013-04-28, 07:52   Link #1322
jjblue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by battle22 View Post
I hope they meant that, because EP5-6 are nowhere near "Terrible" .

Whole Chiru is, according to my book, amazing.

Plus, how can studio decide not to animate a certain thing just because of their subjective opinion? So that's why the "Chiru is impossible to adapt" thing makes more sense.

Or they knew the fans wouldn't want another season because of the reputation the anime received after people read the VN. Personally, I want to see Chiru Anime for sole reason to watch Erika (Who made Umineko what it is today) animated.
Could it be the problem is the children's involvement?
Wasn't Japan discussing a law about scenes with violence involving children?
It can be they managed to make the first part of Umineko prior to it but were too late to make the second?

After all Ep 5 involves George, Jessica and Maria having their throats cut open, which is much more gruesome than stabbed Jessica or strangled Maria in Ep 1 and there's also the matter of the baby tossed off the cliff, while Ep 6 has George 'killing' his mother, Jessica killing Kyrie and Maria being splattered against the wall, as well as a lot of sexual imaginery between Erika and Battler.

The manga might have managed to get off with it but anime are usually kept tamer because they've more views and animators might have thought it would be difficult to deal with all this in a tame way...
Old 2013-04-28, 11:08   Link #1323
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by immblueversion View Post
For the sake of argument, could I get some sales figures for the DVD? I think some concrete evidence could help clear up any misconceptions. Because honestly, I don't think I've ever seen the sales themselves either.
You can find partial figures in this post.

I'd be pretty surprised if any outsider could reveal reliable information on how well the production committee expected the show to do. Most likely, the franchise failed to gain the momentum that content producers wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblue1
Could it be the problem is the children's involvement?
Wasn't Japan discussing a law about scenes with violence involving children?
It can be they managed to make the first part of Umineko prior to it but were too late to make the second?
I'm not aware of any such proposal.

The Tokyo Metropolitan Government passed a bill that restricted sexually explicit depictions of children, but it's irrelevant to Umineko.
Old 2013-04-28, 11:52   Link #1324
jjblue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
I'm not aware of any such proposal.

The Tokyo Metropolitan Government passed a bill that restricted sexually explicit depictions of children, but it's irrelevant to Umineko.
Oh, okay. Here it was said sexual depiction and involvement in violent scenes, that's why I thought Umineko could be involved.
Old 2013-04-28, 14:13   Link #1325
battle22

Well... I don't know about that. But there is this Game Corpse Party on PSP. It is getting an OVA and it's supposed to be released this summer. The content in it is very brutal, kids dying everywhere. They released a prologue to the OVA and they already had the killing moments. (It involves elementary students as well). But the story is awesome I swear lol (and the game)
Old 2013-04-29, 09:16   Link #1326
maximilianjenus
[E]

sorry, but that (the guy white kinghting the umineko anime)sounds like bull[expletive]- as you cna see the sales figures are well below 1k, only disc managed to sell that and the rest sold around 500 copies, only anime like kill me baby might be able to make a profit on those numbers.

also, though I might have to research the dates, ep 5 and 6 were already out when the anime finished, unless the guy is a production commite insider and he refers to the umineko anime planning phase i would not trut him at all.

there is also the umineko vn only sold 10k discs falacy, iirc umineko sold pretty well for a doujin vn, though I don't have any numeric data available, maybe someone can get us real number ? though I think that the way his other claims are so wrong, it would be redundant to prove that one wrong.
Old 2013-05-07, 09:00   Link #1327
immblueversion

I asked the user where they got their sources. Here's what they replied with:

Quote:
Hi again, sorry for my late reply.

First of the all, how would the people outside Japan know the sales of Umineko DVD&Blueray? If DVD do not sell, BD will never come out. Umineko DVD has been still selling because of the new video game series, and I called to the Frontier works and they answered the average sales of DVD is around 2000 copies, and there are also DVD sets that comes with multiple DVDs. Additionally and the most important of the all, the original Umineko VN didn't sell at all.

Can you tell me the name of the forum that you went across?

Additionally, did you point out the purpose of Umineko anime(as a promotion of Umineko itself, and it's DVD sales made a nice profit out of it neverthless it was very unpopular when the anime was made)

I also talked to the people who are making Umineko DVD, and Ryukishi was very appreciating the outcome and the profit done by anime.

In Japan, you can easily meet Ryukishi07, if you go to comic market.

Old 2013-05-07, 09:19   Link #1328
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

I think it is VERY unlikely that companies just give their sell figures away like that.

Last edited by GreyZone; 2013-05-07 at 11:08.
Old 2013-05-07, 11:04   Link #1329
battle22

So the Anime was nothing more than to get attention to the VNS?

... I can see some truth in this, since I did get into Umineko from the Anime, but the whole purpose was that?

Deen went into such a big risk? And as I mentioned once, if it was so successful, why didn't they do Chiru?

The answer he provided was his own subjective point of view and nothing that can be established as a fact. Furthermore, it's impossible to prove this.

I can also talk about how I met Deen's Chikai Kon in Japan, use some fancy words and correct grammar and say that they are planing to make a Chiru Anime.

Ask him if he knows anybody in the Alchemist, I'd love to find out if they abandoned the PSP Umineko port or not ... lol
Old 2013-05-07, 12:59   Link #1330
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by battle22 View Post
So the Anime was nothing more than to get attention to the VNS?

... I can see some truth in this, since I did get into Umineko from the Anime, but the whole purpose was that?

Deen went into such a big risk? And as I mentioned once, if it was so successful, why didn't they do Chiru?

The answer he provided was his own subjective point of view and nothing that can be established as a fact. Furthermore, it's impossible to prove this.

I can also talk about how I met Deen's Chikai Kon in Japan, use some fancy words and correct grammar and say that they are planing to make a Chiru Anime.

Ask him if he knows anybody in the Alchemist, I'd love to find out if they abandoned the PSP Umineko port or not ... lol
The user made another comment:

Quote:
Ryukishi07 has been very upset about weaboo fans of Umineko, since they keep spreading the fake rumors and hate on DEEN, who made the great anime adaptation of Umineko.

Old 2013-05-07, 13:37   Link #1331
battle22

Quote:
Ryukishi07 has been very upset about weaboo fans of Umineko, since they keep spreading the fake rumors and hate on DEEN, who made the great anime adaptation of Umineko.
Can you ask him to give you a detailed explanation on why DEEN didn't do Season 2?

Can you call DEEN's Umineko a great adaptation?

...First of all, they throw 18 characters at you and by the time of EP3, you still don't know their names.
Isn't this supposed to be a Mystery anime? (Well at first, it became Fantasy VS Mystery later) In Mystery, character introduction is important, since we're searching for the damn Culprit lol.

Second, they throw the closed rooms at you one after another. You'll get confused eventually. (Which by the way, made a lot of people drop the series.)

Then they make you think that Battler is a moron for denying the witch when she's obviously in front of him. Yes a lot of people actually said this and disliked his character.

EP1-3 were bad and there is no denying. EP4 managed to do decent stuff until the final fight.

While I still enjoy the anime, even with this...mistakes, I can't call it a good adaptation. Sure, it might have made Umineko more popular, but it was not good.
Old 2013-05-07, 14:40   Link #1332
Drifloon

Quote:
Ryukishi07 has been very upset about weaboo fans of Umineko
Yeah, okay, now he's just trolling. I'm pretty sure Ryukishi barely knows anything about the Western fanbase.
Old 2013-05-07, 17:53   Link #1333
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
He put in the comment about Ootsuki being a "Witch Hunter". And didn't he meet with some members of the Witch Hunt?
Old 2013-05-08, 01:35   Link #1334
Drifloon

Yes, and I think that's just about the full extent of his involvement with us. I seem to remember him acting surprised that the Higurashi anime had any following at all in the West, so the idea that he monitors our reactions closely enough to be 'very upset' about our reaction to the Umineko anime just seems ridiculous.
Old 2013-05-08, 09:07   Link #1335
maximilianjenus
[E]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifloon View Post
Yeah, okay, now he's just trolling. I'm pretty sure Ryukishi barely knows anything about the Western fanbase.
as if it was not obvious he was just trolling since the first post.
Old 2013-05-08, 09:52   Link #1336
immblueversion

This guy just keeps going. "Weeaboo" talk or not, could it really be trolling?

Quote:
As I explained before, anime was a part of media-mix expansion of Umineko. One of the major reason anime was made is for a promotion of Umineko overall, since it wasn't popular before anime was made, since Higurashi was too popular. Ryukishi07 is still looking for a chance to make Chiru anime, but one of the major reason we missed a chance of making 2nd anime season, is because VNEP5&EP6 was quite unpopular comparing with EP1~4, so they missed a chance of making Chiru anime immediately.

BTW, if you try to find the DVD sales of Umineko anime, you find some ranking site, but that shows only DVD sales on Amazon Japan. In Japan, there are more than 10,000 shops that sales Umineko DVD instead of Amazon, and in the anime shop in Akihabara, they usually sell several hundreds of DVD when it comes out. Additionally, in Japan there are a gigantic online store called Rakuten, that sells double amount of Amazon.

So, the sales of Umineko DVD is more than double of Amazon sales.

Old 2013-05-08, 09:55   Link #1337
Witch of Uncertainty

Does it really matter? :P
Old 2013-05-08, 10:21   Link #1338
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

This guy is pulling facts out of his own ass.

http://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp...il/q1378171153

元々うみねこはDVD・BDの売り上げが壊滅的だったので。

From the start the DVD and BD sales of Umineko were catastrophic.

This is definitely not a myth of the western fans only.

More proofs

http://sakuhindb.com/janime/7_Uminek...u_20Koro_20ni/

This site shows a lot of data about the anime and its receptions. The pie menu on the left side shows that the general reception of this anime is horrible, with the peak votes going to worst possible judgement.

Last edited by Jan-Poo; 2013-05-08 at 10:43.
Old 2013-12-04, 11:49   Link #1339
Birdway
Banned

Guys what is this about?
http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-e...0323.html#more
Old 2013-12-04, 16:38   Link #1340
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdway View Post
I think this has got something to do with this: