Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-06-26, 07:31   Link #29101
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I am just surprised at the stupidity of hosting the Olympics and World Cup so close to one another. No one has that kind of money.
They can always get the central bank to print more for it.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-06-26, 09:44   Link #29102
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

US Supreme Court overturns gay marriage ban

The Supreme Court has ruled that under the Equal Protection clause that the Federal Defense of Marriage Act "Demeans the people who are under lawful same-sex marriages" and is therefore Unconstitutional.

The United States Supreme Court has also refused to rule on the California Proposition 8 case, holding that the people suing do not have standing and therefore let's the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals narrow California ruling stand. Therefore, same-sex marriages are now legal in the State of California.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions...2-144_8ok0.pdf

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL

Last edited by Netto Azure; 2013-06-26 at 09:59.
Old 2013-06-26, 09:53   Link #29103
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post

The Supreme Court has ruled that under the Equal Protection clause that the Federal Defense of Marriage Act "Demeans the people who are under lawful same-sex marriages" and is therefore Unconstitutional.

The United States Supreme Court has also refused to rule on the California Proposition 8 case, holding that the people suing do not have standing and therefore let's the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals narror California ruling stand. Thereby same-sex marriages are now legal in the State of California.

Synth, stop rinsing the champagne all over us.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-06-26, 09:59   Link #29104
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Oh man... this is indeed a crazy news day... The Texas abortion scandal, the voting rights act getting overturned and now the same court has struck down gay marriage!

The cherry on top will be the incoming immigration bill; if the tea party house republicans block it then this-will-for-sure-terminate-the-republican-party-once-and-for-all.
Old 2013-06-26, 10:05   Link #29105
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Whoops, I misquoted that, actually it's the broad district court ruling that covers the State of California that strikes down Proposition 8 that gives the California government the go ahead to resume same-sex marriages. The Supreme Court ruled that both it and the appeals court do not have jurisdiction to rule on it since the proponents of the law stopped being the State of California, to indirect private citizens who wished to continue the appeals process.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Old 2013-06-26, 10:19   Link #29106
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

In Texas, the Republicans first claimed the bill had passed but reversed themselves around 3 am admitting that the required procedure for the bill to be signed by the chair did not happen before midnight. Of course, they blamed this on the protestors. Abortion-rights supporters pointed to the mysterious change in the datestamp of when the vote took place suggesting the Republicans knew they could not truly demonstrate that the vote occurred before midnight. (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/27/us...tion-bill.html)

Observers seem to think Perry will call the legislature back into another special session in an effort to ram SB 5 through.

On the gay marriage decisions, I guessed the right outcomes (punt on Prop8; overturn DOMA) but not the margins; both cases were decided 5-4. Kennedy played his usual "median justice" role on DOMA and wrote the decision. On Prop8 both Scalia and Roberts joined Breyer, Kagan, and Ginsburg and refused to rule on the merits based on the plaintiffs' lack of "standing." Sotomayor joined the remaining three Republican appointees in the minority. While it's common to hear liberals claim Scalia and Thomas are "joined at the hip," this is just the latest case where they took opposite sides. I read a comment allegedly made by Scalia on the "hip-joining" arguments to the effect of "I'm an originalist, not a nutcase." Scalia and Ginsburg are reportedly good friends when they are not wearing their robes.
Old 2013-06-26, 12:03   Link #29107
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Racism is over cuz Obama is president lololol. Too much Boondocks people?

So I see the GOP has taken the "Bury head in sand, and die approach", though their real tactic, like all bandwagoning scum is to jump ship and join the Democrats to continue their crap.

Still, I am glad that such abominations such as prop 8 are eroding away, and perhaps this country can finally join our peers in the 21st century or something. It's been pretty embarassing.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2013-06-26, 12:14   Link #29108
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:

The United States Supreme Court has also refused to rule on the California Proposition 8 case, holding that the people suing do not have standing and therefore let's the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals narrow California ruling stand. Therefore, same-sex marriages are now legal in the State of California.

the real winner of this decision are wedding planners and divorce lawyers.
Old 2013-06-26, 12:19   Link #29109
Sumeragi
Banned

I'm finding the entire circus to be hilarious especially all the ignorance thrown into the mix.
Old 2013-06-26, 13:39   Link #29110
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:

Three cheers for this, folks! It's good to see that our country is still progressing.

Perfectly straight and relatively-young man speaking here. For the record.
Old 2013-06-26, 14:43   Link #29111
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Three cheers for this, folks! It's good to see that our country is still progressing.

Perfectly straight and relatively-young man speaking here. For the record.
There's going to be an enormous amount of pocket resistance (state-level) and there may be problems as the critical-thinking-challenged resort to violence when it is clear their logic-numbed assertions aren't going to win the day. Just saying to keep a big stick handy for the insane clowns.
Old 2013-06-26, 14:50   Link #29112
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

At least, a small victory.

Old 2013-06-26, 15:02   Link #29113
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I am just surprised at the stupidity of hosting the Olympics and World Cup so close to one another. No one has that kind of money.
And even less from a country that has not come out of the woods in terms of social issues yet even though their economy is emerging. The only other time such was done was the US with the 1994 World Cup and the 1996 Olympics... and I'm not sure this was a bright idea.

Right now, I'm turning my eyes towards the 2020 Olympics bid on the upcoming September 7. Among the remaining 3 cities, Tokyo is the most deserving when we look at the overall picture. No disrespect, but something would be extremely wrong if the IOC awards the games to either Istanbul or Madrid will all the sackload of crap (on economics or social politics) going on in both countries.
Old 2013-06-26, 15:08   Link #29114
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
Right now, I'm turning my eyes towards the 2020 Olympics bid on the upcoming September 7. Among the remaining 3 cities, Tokyo is the most deserving when we look at the overall picture. No disrespect, but something would be extremely wrong if the IOC awards the games to either Istanbul or Madrid will all the sackload of crap (on economics or social politics) going on in both countries.
Then you have no idea just how bad any Olympic Games in Tokyo will be.

I'm rooting for Istanbul.
Old 2013-06-26, 15:27   Link #29115
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Then you have no idea just how bad any Olympic Games in Tokyo will be.

I'm rooting for Istanbul.
Then explain why for the sake of the readers if you're the expert.

Istanbul just shot themselves in the foot with all the protests, violence and social bull going over there. Good luck expecting to award the games in a hot zone like that with their own domestic issues and the Syrian war at the gates. Furthermore, they have to build everything from scratch and that means it will cost more.

Madrid... that would be the equivalent of Athens in terms how it would cripple an economy that is already weak. The only difference is that Spain is already in the red while Greece was barely holding their heads out of the water.
Old 2013-06-26, 16:54   Link #29116
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Then explain why for the sake of the readers if you're the expert.
How do you expect the crashing Abenomics Japan to actually spend money for another Olympics short of risking inflation, never mind the upcoming tax hike?

Quote:
Istanbul just shot themselves in the foot with all the protests, violence and social bull going over there. Good luck expecting to award the games in a hot zone like that with their own domestic issues and the Syrian war at the gates. Furthermore, they have to build everything from scratch and that means it will cost more.
Reminds me of two games: Tokyo and Seoul.
Old 2013-06-26, 17:59   Link #29117
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
How do you expect the crashing Abenomics Japan to actually spend money for another Olympics short of risking inflation, never mind the upcoming tax hike?.
Hey! They already have the 2019 Rugby World Cup for good preparation. Sports installations are already in place all around Tokyo and the political/economic situation is more stable than bloody Turkey and Spain. If money has to be spent somewhere, it will NOT be much into building new infrastructures.

Furthermore, the last Olympics in England proved that the competition sites don't have to be only restricted to Tokyo; London also mobilized Manchester, Newcastle, Cardiff, Coventry and Glasgow for some venues. So mobilizing other venues would not be a problem.

Quote:
Reminds me of two games: Tokyo and Seoul.
They didn't have the shit political situation Turkey currently has nor a bunch of crazy Islamists a few hundreds of kilometers away at the very most. Personally, Istanbul can kiss ass when I look at how things degenerated under the current government.
Old 2013-06-26, 18:20   Link #29118
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

But it is also 7 years away. A lot can happen in 7 years.
Old 2013-06-26, 18:20   Link #29119
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Pretty sure situation in Korea was similar if not worse when looking at event like Gwangju Massacre. I think you are making too much blind assumption.
Old 2013-06-26, 18:31   Link #29120
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Pretty sure situation in Korea was similar if not worse when looking at event like Gwangju Massacre. I think you are making too much blind assumption.
I'm not sure that the IOC paid too much attention about political situations back in 1981 as they do now with internet, social media and other sources of information to say what comes. When they awarded the games to Beijing with all the background we know about China, we all saw the shitstorm of criticism following for 7 years after the awarding of those games. So you can guess the same might happen again if Istanbul gets the games when this thing will be over by September 7.

Meanwhile, I would prefer a place like Auckland to host Olympics soon. New Zealanders are doing very well in their corner and the last Rugby World Cup left a very good taste in my mouth.

Last edited by KiraYamatoFan; 2013-06-27 at 02:12.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international