AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2006-10-25, 18:48   Link #101
raideralan

Is it true that the collector's edition comes with the offical soundtrack? The one with the tin can.
raideralan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-25, 19:17   Link #102
Dark`
The Terror of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by raideralan View Post
Is it true that the collector's edition comes with the offical soundtrack? The one with the tin can.
Not based on what ebgames.com says...

The Final Fantasy XII Collector's Edition will be packaged in a metal case and includes a Collector's DVD with the following contents:
  • Developer's Interviews
  • History of Final Fantasy featurettes
  • Final Fantasy XII U.S. Trailers
  • Final Fantasy XII Japan Trailers
  • Final Fantasy Art Gallery
Dark` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-25, 22:19   Link #103
ImperialPanda

From the description imo that's one of the worst collector's editions ever. ;P Just getting the regular one.

The tin case is the only thing that's pretty cool but I don't think it's worth $10.
ImperialPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-06, 11:58   Link #104
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Hmm, is everyone simply to busy playing to post in this thread (I more than a few
people interested in RPGs are playing it now)? I only got it a few days now, and have
clocked 16+ hours on it already, which is pretty good for my standards (I don't play
games regulary and I rarely "marathon").

I could have gotten FFXII a bit sooner as I was in Japan earlier this year (and indeed
more than one of my friends there got himself a Japanese PS2 to play it), but I figured
my knowledge of Japanese wasn't quite good enough, so I waited for the English release.
That seems to have been a good call, as you have to be pretty good in English (for a
non-native) to understand certain dialoge (FFXII makes liberal use of old English it seems).

Anyway, my main reason to make this post is to revive a topic mentioned in the first few
pages of this thread: the parallels FFXII has to Star Wars. Because I've had a very
Star Wars like feeling during various scenes.

I'll continue this post in a spoiler tag for anyone who hasn't played FFXII yet.
FYI: I have played up until the part you obtain the Dawn Shard...

Spoiler for up to ~16 hours into the game:

I'm only about 16 hours into the game (Vaan = lvl 18, most others are lvl 16), so I still got
a lot to go. But so far it's the best game (and best FF) I've played in quite a while...

For those people who look at my location and think "how did you get it, it's not out in Europe yet": I got a US PS2, so I have the US version (imported)...
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-06, 14:53   Link #105
_X12A_Testament

Ha anyone else experienced when a boss gets low in HP and suddenly can attack 3 times for every 1 of my party? WTF!!?

And no its not haste. I am so annoyed that at the end of the battle it gets super cheap and I end up using all my items just to stay alive. super ghey.
_X12A_Testament is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-06, 17:11   Link #106
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by _X12A_Testament View Post
Ha anyone else experienced when a boss gets low in HP and suddenly can attack 3 times for every 1 of my party? WTF!!?

And no its not haste. I am so annoyed that at the end of the battle it gets super cheap and I end up using all my items just to stay alive. super ghey.
I had that with the most recent boss: the one aboard the airship after obtaining the Dawn Shard.
I had to try three times: the first two times when the boss got near 5-10% HP, he'd do exactly
as you described and quickly killed all my characters.

What made it more annoying was that several lengthy story scenes preceded that boss, and even
though you can skip these scenes, even the skipping took some time. I finally got him a third time when
I realized I had just obtained my first esper (summon) which terminated him pretty quickly...
Old 2006-11-06, 17:37   Link #107
Ending

Sounds like they took, yet again, the cheap road and allowed the AI to cheat like no tomorrow. In the name of fair-play, of course.

Anyway, can you enable the original speech and english subs? I would hate to hear some louzy translations if the originals were available... Come to think of it, I would hate having to listen crappy voice-acting no matter what.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-06, 18:20   Link #108
_X12A_Testament

Its really annoying, and definately reminds me why I like ATB because this kind of BS can't happen.... actually I think this might be the new ABS system (absolute bull S---). I am all for challenging battles, but I need a viable reason why the enemy all of a sudden gets Haste3 when he is under 10% life.... If my characters did too, I wouldn't be complaining. And what makes it worse is that
Spoiler:
. Well, I think I will try again and hope that I can somehow beat him. I think the short window in between reflects might be a good time to cast Slow, hopefully then he won't do 500-600 dmg a "turn". seriously, wtf square-enix.
_X12A_Testament is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-06, 20:25   Link #109
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordplay View Post
Anyway, can you enable the original speech and english subs? I would hate to hear some louzy translations if the originals were available... Come to think of it, I would hate having to listen crappy voice-acting no matter what.
You can't select the original Japanese voices (though you can enable subs).
However, I think the English dub and translation is excellent. Way better than FFX.

Sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r0L6gkb1u0

@_X12A_Testament:
If you have trouble with him and you have enough license points, enable the esper on one
of your characters and summon him once the battle begins. I had NO trouble beating him
that way...
Old 2006-11-06, 22:43   Link #110
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by _X12A_Testament View Post
Its really annoying, and definately reminds me why I like ATB because this kind of BS can't happen.... actually I think this might be the new ABS system (absolute bull S---). I am all for challenging battles, but I need a viable reason why the enemy all of a sudden gets Haste3 when he is under 10% life.... If my characters did too, I wouldn't be complaining. And what makes it worse is that
Spoiler:
. Well, I think I will try again and hope that I can somehow beat him. I think the short window in between reflects might be a good time to cast Slow, hopefully then he won't do 500-600 dmg a "turn". seriously, wtf square-enix.
He probably has an auto-caste for <10% life.

I mean, I don't understand how you can bitch about that.. if you've played previous Final Fantasies, the characters who you control who you end up fighting later on are MUCH stronger in the actual battles.

I trashed all the bosses so far, because I've been doing the mobhunt sidequests. I don't even have a complex gambit system set up.. just heal as priority and attack as the next.
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-06, 22:45   Link #111
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordplay View Post
I'm trying to get someone to hack the discs and put the Japanese voices with English text.. ; ) It's been done for a few games only.

The voice acting is pretty good.

But I really miss Japanese Ashe. So feisty.
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-11, 05:56   Link #112
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

Just started playing this, and it's a lot different then the most recent final fantasy games I have played (VII - X-2). At first, I was confused. They spat out location name after location name, and spoke of many characters at one time. The plot wasn't really catching my attention, and I was about to put it down. Luckily I layed a little further (JUST got it... so), until you control Vaan and do the Rogue Tomato quest. That part was fun, and levelling up isn't such a hassle anymore. I'll stick to it, but I'm questioning what the plot will become? Is it all a series of old history empire revenge plots?
ChibiDusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-29, 19:41   Link #113
gameoffreak8

I'm about 15 hours so far. I beat Judge Ghis with three quickings and I'm currently in Lhusu Mines for grinding each character's level.
gameoffreak8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-29, 20:02   Link #114
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiDusk View Post
I'll stick to it, but I'm questioning what the plot will become? Is it all a series of old history empire revenge plots?
I'm about 30 hours into it (just got done with a long set of cutscenes, actually), and I'm no longer worried about the plot. I was for a while, but now my biggest complaint is the English voices' speech patterns all being the same. This wasn't the case in the Japanese version
Revenge does play a part in some things, but it's far from the main focus.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-30, 00:59   Link #115
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I have stopped playing it for awhile. It is pretty good, but now I'm hooked on Zelda:TP. I plan to finish FF XII during winter break.
Old 2007-01-18, 22:31   Link #116
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Well I just got aboard the Leviathan and...WTF...so far, Balthier is really fun since he's mr. smooth smartass, Fran has a funny voice and has sarcastic comments (cute...AND SHE'S A BUNNY!), and Basch...WTF? His entire story reminds me of a few lyrics from Eminem's "why the world keeps turning"
Spoiler:

And WTF is with Ashe...so far all the FF girls have been polite, or at the least kind, and this one is just a skanky bitch .

I WANT YUNA BACK

Last edited by Demongod86; 2007-01-19 at 01:14.
Demongod86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-18, 22:47   Link #117
Miyu-chan
Sesshomaru is so cute!

I just love the game, I might even try to cosplay Penelo at the next convention in my area... I'm stuck, though...
Miyu-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-19, 01:31   Link #118
Demongod86

The difference was that A) Tifa didn't dress like a whore. She dressed like a girl in summer. Tanktop+shorts is not uncommon. B) Tifa kicked ass more than anyone else besides Cloud and Sephiroth.

Ashe is supposed to be the mage-girl as far as I can tell from her license startout. And while she is more clothed than Tifa, she's far more skanky. A skirt shorter than Tifa's or Yuna's shorts, these silly-looking thigh-highs, and a top open in all the wrong places wearing suspenders right across her breasts? And to top that off, having her speak like a 17th century English noblewoman while sounding like an American high-school girl combined with that outfit? So far, she's getting no love from me.

Put it this way, Yuna always evoked the kind of emotions you would have when you see a kitten or a fluffy white bunny. Tifa is a kickass throwdown anime-babe, and in AC, she takes hott to a whole new level, but Ashe...seriously...

Not to mention that FF12's battle system is the most frustrating thing I've ever seen in an RPG...I remember in Seiken Densetsu 3 there was a similar real-time battle system, but in THAT one, you had multitarget techs that literally wiped the entire screen, multitarget heal spells you can cast more than 5 times before your mana pool ran dry, and none of this license BS that not only do you have to spend your license points on them, but they do absolutely NOTHING unless you get the corresponding capability!

The way I always viewed an RPG is this: above all, a good storyline and characters that you want to see get through it all, or at least they're so fucking cool that you can't stop playing. The game also should be beatable by simply following the directions that characters say instead of trying to find some ridiculous sidequest.

FF12 breaks just about ALL of these rules. The battle system ties you up with either getting the hell out of there or killing everything in sight so you won't get ambushed from behind or whatever that you aren't following the story. Not to mention some of the most bizarre encounters ever.

Like that Wild Saurian whose name was in blue (easy target) in the estersands, and then CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP game over.

The game plays more like fricking Zelda Ocarina of Time than it does a final fantasy. Go fetch this key in one side of the blackbird (errr, that's the leviathan...it just looks identical to the blackbird in chrono trigger from the inside), to put it in a hole in the other side...also complete with "dungeon maps" and music that you can't remember for crap.

I just got out of the Leviathan and the game is putting a seriously bad taste in my mouth. I think the bad gamefaqs reviews were right when they said that this game was all show, no depth. I mean come on, do a quest, get thrown into a dungeon, do another quest, get thrown in ANOTHER type of dungeon-crap maze.

Final Fantasy gone Zelda? Zelda is the definition of take generic hero and hack n' slash everything in sight. This is exactly what this game reminds me of. I put Zelda down because it was pointless. If not for Balthier being a funny guy, I'd just give this back to my friend. I've died like 7 times already (I'm like level 11 all around after Leviathan), and to stupid situations as well. Not to mention how horribly luck-based this game is. Oops, my quickenings put Judge Ghis at 1/3rd HP. Now I get spell-raped. Reload. 8-hit quickening combo, cataclysm, instakilled.

Seriously, what the hell? An attention-whoring battle system does NOT a bad story cover up.

Please tell me that this game comes out to be as enjoyable as X and 7, because so far, there is nobody near as cool as Sephiroth, and Yuna is more loveable than the entire cast of XII combined (and then we have Rikku, Tidus, Lenne, and Shuyin).

Hell X-2 was better than this. Sure, it played absolutely shitty, but at least there was motive for playing it. Here, there's a huge focus on gameplay but everything else went to shit for it! I mean with an RPG, I have fun being told a story with amazing graphics while you the player explores the world through the story (rather than with visual novels, oh, select this option...read, etc...), rather than having some poorly-done hack and slash.

I sure hope that XIII doesn't muck up like this.
Old 2007-01-19, 20:15   Link #119
Demongod86

I'd hardly call Yuna "chest heavy" or anything to that degree. She's about the same as Lacus Clyne. It depends how she dresses...either it's clear she has something, or they're hardly noticeable. Aeris didn't appeal to the innocent in me because she was a complete idiot.

"Please, let me go with you." "No, it's dangerous." "I'm used to danger! I'm coming along with you anyway!" "Oh fine..." *later* "OMG I'M THE ONLY ONE THAT CAN STOP SEPHIROTH, BAI!" Sephiroth: "Bitch please." *MASAMUNE'D!*

Penelo is so far stupid as well. Useless, spandex-sporting POS...also, after what they did with Tifa in 7, notice that she was the only one with a major attire makeover in AC? Cloud wore similar clothes (his blue shirt changed to black, that's it), Cid just didn't wear his flight jacket anymore, and Tifa got a completely new wardrobe (aka her 7 outfit is a mistake). And Rikku for the sex-appealed? -_-...maybe if her hair didn't look like a super saiyan's...

Ashe is just too skanky for my tastes. Penelo is pointless, and Ashe has too much YAP (young american pricness) in her for my tastes.

I have nothing wrong with the action system except that there are no techniques for such a system. At least link has Din's fire and his SHRAAAAAAAAAH spin to slam in a panic attack. Here? Toss your potions to your tank and hope the enemy dies before you do.

I also didn't like losing the game to 3x chomp from a pwnasaurus rex in the estersands.
Old 2007-01-19, 20:58   Link #120
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Lacus has some pretty big tits yo.

I honestly don't know how you're getting owned so hard by FFXII.
The game's been ridiculously easy for me so far, and I've done *zero* grinding and I'm already at the final dungeon.

Sounds like you need to set up proper gambits. If you actually used Libra you wouldn't be getting killed by any high level monsters.

Just set a Self - Libra gambit on one of your support characters. Yay, instant HP/Level readouts.
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote