AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2021-07-06, 18:21   Link #381
kari-no-sugata II
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
I can't help but wonder if Seirie knows about Frieren's "magic attack that can't be detected" that her clone used against Fern. It's clear that Fern's magic sensing ability is extremely high but even she couldn't detect Frieren's attack at all.

Putting it another way, I think that Frieren's mana control/suppression is more of a first step towards that "magic attack that can't be detected" and also something of a double layered deception. Against normal demons, they would significantly underestimate her and she could get the drop on them. But according to Seirie that didn't work at all against the Demon King. From that logic, if we assume that mana control/suppression was the be all and end all of the techniques Flamme taught Frieren to use against demons then those techniques failed against the Demon King even though Frieren was supposed to be able to defeat the Demon King.

Putting it another way, I could imagine the Demon King realising that Frieren was suppressing her mana and having spotted that he then probably took her more seriously than other demons but still not seriously enough - he probably assumed that mana suppression/control was Frieren's only trump card.
kari-no-sugata II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-07, 05:45   Link #382
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: St. Celestina
I think the reason Frieren wants to go back to the North is to wrap everything up, just like how she did in releasing the seal and defeating the demon.

But, I got no surprise when Fern rejects the offer to become an apprentice. Flamme's master first is curious about what Frieren was saying about Fern, but turns out, she witness herself how Fern can tell it.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-07, 13:49   Link #383
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata II View Post
I can't help but wonder if Seirie knows about Frieren's "magic attack that can't be detected" that her clone used against Fern. It's clear that Fern's magic sensing ability is extremely high but even she couldn't detect Frieren's attack at all.
Except that magic doesn't look like a trump card, because it has too many openings. It leaves Frieren unprotected. Rather than a trump card, it looks like a magic that Frieren developed in an act of desperation (maybe in the very moment when the demon lord was about to kill her or some of her friends). I don't think it's a good weapon for serious combat though.


Anyway, it seems my expectations were right. Fern will become the strongest mage of the new era. She's way more talented than we thought, and has trained a lot on top of it. She's the very fist human to catch Serie's interest.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-07, 14:22   Link #384
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Since Serie also has the "instability" of controlling her mana, I wonder if she's the exact opposite of Freiren where she's trying to make herself appear stronger than she actually is.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-07, 14:48   Link #385
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Since Serie also has the "instability" of controlling her mana, I wonder if she's the exact opposite of Freiren where she's trying to make herself appear stronger than she actually is.
Hiding your mana is one thing, but how do you show more mama than what you actually have? It sounds impossible to me.

I think she's doing the same thing Frieren's doing, suppressing her mana. Only in her case she has way more mana than Frieren (because she's older) so even though it's suppressed, it's still a whole lot.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-07, 15:16   Link #386
kari-no-sugata II
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Except that magic doesn't look like a trump card, because it has too many openings. It leaves Frieren unprotected. Rather than a trump card, it looks like a magic that Frieren developed in an act of desperation (maybe in the very moment when the demon lord was about to kill her or some of her friends). I don't think it's a good weapon for serious combat though.
When you're up against the Demon King, having a trump card with a weakness is better than no trump card. And the only weakness it seems to have is it's bad against multiple opponents. This doesn't seem like a huge problem against a single powerful opponent - probably the biggest risk is that it wouldn't work and leave the caster open to a counter-attack.


Quote:
Anyway, it seems my expectations were right. Fern will become the strongest mage of the new era. She's way more talented than we thought, and has trained a lot on top of it. She's the very fist human to catch Serie's interest.
This always looked like a good bet to me...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Since Serie also has the "instability" of controlling her mana, I wonder if she's the exact opposite of Freiren where she's trying to make herself appear stronger than she actually is.
Elsewhere I've seen a lot of commentators saying this obviously means that Seirie has been disguising/hiding her mana. But given how disdainful Seirie was about doing such a thing, I suspect it means something else. For example, maybe she's actually dying and this instability is a side-effect of that. Which in turn might explain why she's become more active recently (looking for someone to take over her mantle or something).
kari-no-sugata II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-07, 15:47   Link #387
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata II View Post
Elsewhere I've seen a lot of commentators saying this obviously means that Seirie has been disguising/hiding her mana. But given how disdainful Seirie was about doing such a thing, I suspect it means something else. For example, maybe she's actually dying and this instability is a side-effect of that. Which in turn might explain why she's become more active recently (looking for someone to take over her mantle or something).
That's an interesting idea. We don't know how old she is, or even how long the average elf life-span is, so it would be interesting if the manga were to delve into that a bit.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-07, 16:12   Link #388
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata II View Post
Elsewhere I've seen a lot of commentators saying this obviously means that Seirie has been disguising/hiding her mana. But given how disdainful Seirie was about doing such a thing, I suspect it means something else. For example, maybe she's actually dying and this instability is a side-effect of that. Which in turn might explain why she's become more active recently (looking for someone to take over her mantle or something).
I'm not sure I'd take everything Serie says at face value. But mostly I took it to mean there were more important things to learn first. Maybe she only started to practice that after she turned 2000 or something.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-07, 17:53   Link #389
kari-no-sugata II
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
That's an interesting idea. We don't know how old she is, or even how long the average elf life-span is, so it would be interesting if the manga were to delve into that a bit.
Yep.

At the least, given that Serie has a somewhat antagonistic attitude against Frieren and Flamme, it would seem a bit too easy a moral victory if she is practicing suppressing her mana on the side while publicly trashing it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I'm not sure I'd take everything Serie says at face value. But mostly I took it to mean there were more important things to learn first. Maybe she only started to practice that after she turned 2000 or something.
Overall Serie comes across as a "straight shooter" in terms of personality. She's more the brutally blunt type. So if she says that practicing suppressing your mana is not as good a use of your time as focusing on other aspects of magic then I think she most likely believes it.

I might be misreading her of course and that's fine - I like to speculate and find the process to be enjoyable.
kari-no-sugata II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-07, 20:07   Link #390
Tenzen12
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Hiding your mana is one thing, but how do you show more mama than what you actually have? It sounds impossible to me.

I think she's doing the same thing Frieren's doing, suppressing her mana. Only in her case she has way more mana than Frieren (because she's older) so even though it's suppressed, it's still a whole lot.
I don't think that's what happening but it would be super easy if cost inefficient. Magic aura is passive so if you want make it stronger just pour in some magic actively, problem solved.
__________________
"I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it" (Charles R. Swindoll)
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-07, 21:31   Link #391
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
I don't think that's what happening but it would be super easy if cost inefficient. Magic aura is passive so if you want make it stronger just pour in some magic actively, problem solved.
Mana doesn't seem to be "magic aura" though. It seems to be the source of magic. Fuel for magic, if you will. So I don't think you can use magic to make your mana bigger. I don't think it works like that. I could be wrong though. We'll see.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-08, 00:56   Link #392
Tenzen12
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Mana indeed doesn't seem to be magic aura, but magic aura absolutely seems to be made of excessive mana. And no as far as I can say nowhere is even implied it to,"source of magi" unless you can provide quote on that I call bull.


Going by common sense more magic you have, more it leaks. That's magical aura.
__________________
"I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it" (Charles R. Swindoll)
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-08, 01:15   Link #393
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
I just think Serie is too prideful and the opposite of Flamme and Freiren's style for her to be hiding her magic the same way they would.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-08, 06:23   Link #394
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Going by common sense more magic you have, more it leaks. That's magical aura.
There's no such thing as "magic aura" in this series. No character has ever mentioned anything like that. Mana is mana. It's not aura or leakage or anything like that. It's just mana.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-08, 06:52   Link #395
Tenzen12
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Definition of aura is "energy field around person." So yes it's literally "aura" and it's made of mana thus this aura is "magical". Only way it's not " magical aura" is if it is not made of mana or if mana isn't energy.


Also obviously it's leakage. It's not like mana is something that just fly around as cloud of various sizes until it decide hangout with potential magician. Amount of mana is affected by talent and training, we know tha much. thus mana is internal not external.
__________________
"I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it" (Charles R. Swindoll)
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-08, 08:01   Link #396
DragonOsman
Dragon King
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia
Age: 31
Mana is magical energy. So of course it'd produce an aura. That's how these things work. I don't think the author needs to explicitly state it.

And I think Serie is suppressing her mana. She said that if it's not done skillfully enough it creates an instability in the mana that's easy to detect. Frieren is so good at it that there's almost no instability to see. Serie doesn't like it though, and probably because of that, when she suppresses her mana it does produce an instability. And Fern saw it.
__________________
DragonOsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-13, 18:48   Link #397
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
That was certainly interesting. I had assumed that Fern would be the only one to pass.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-13, 23:44   Link #398
Twi
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Serie is also immortal and has had ample time to study all forms of magic. Her suppressing her mana can be a hobby of all things. It's not like she needs to actively go to war since the current Demon King is dead and even in her last talk with Frieren before they reunited after 1000 years or so they discussed the upcoming age.

I do like that Denken passed. From start to finish, the old man was willing to take on even Frieren to go home so I can believe he'd for a second consider squaring up against her to do it.

Then there's the dude who had the literal balls to basically take the test remotely and then try to fool her when she figured it out. He earned my respect because of how much effort that must be taking and nobody else figured it out.
__________________
https://wandsandvials.wordpress.com/2017/12/27/an-alchemist-sets-out-1-01/
Twi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-13, 23:56   Link #399
Diluc
Darkhero of Monstadt
 
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: rich mansion with maids
Lmao The glasses boy is absolute madman
Diluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-14, 03:54   Link #400
James Rye
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
Serie is also immortal and has had ample time to study all forms of magic. Her suppressing her mana can be a hobby of all things. It's not like she needs to actively go to war since the current Demon King is dead and even in her last talk with Frieren before they reunited after 1000 years or so they discussed the upcoming age.

I do like that Denken passed. From start to finish, the old man was willing to take on even Frieren to go home so I can believe he'd for a second consider squaring up against her to do it.

Then there's the dude who had the literal balls to basically take the test remotely and then try to fool her when she figured it out. He earned my respect because of how much effort that must be taking and nobody else figured it out.
I think all Elves are immortal. Kraft and Serie are just much much older than "young little" Frieren with her thousand and something years. Really makes me wonder if Frieren would still be considered a child in elf terms. If so Himmel was a lolicon, lol.
I am most curious about what exactly Serie's criteria was, besides her instinct, for letting so many mages pass since they all gave different answers/were asked different question or were just let passed without even a talk. My first thought was you had to notice the tiny instability in her aura but nobody else but Fern noticed (though Frieren might have noticed as well but chose to speak of it to showcase how extraordinary Fern is). Then I thought it was the strength to at least think aka imagine fighting Serie and I could see Denken, Wirbel and Übel do so but Land hardly ever thought about fighting since he ain't even there breaking all them rules while drinking tea, that mad lad. And the pretty Onee-san is like "why aren't you adorbale, you little cutie" and gets a pass as well. XD

Very big year for the mage community considering only like 1-2 mages usually pass the first class mage exam and now they got half a dozen at once.
__________________
James Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
adventure, after victory, demons, elf, elf life, eternity, hero party

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.