AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2021-08-01, 21:26   Link #41
Wandering Soul
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: America
I really thought Dominique's brother was being set up as a future antagonist. That idea was gutted by the end. Their guardian on the other hand, is a real piece of work
__________________
Wandering Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-06, 16:09   Link #42
Twi
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Not a bad series after looking at the five episodes that were available so far.

But... I'll just come out and say it. The blood-sucking scenes skirt the line between sexual and violent. I mean, look at Vanitas with Jeanne. The way her eyes focus on his neck and the shaking camera as she tries to resist her urge until she finally gives in. Then there’s the aftermath where she’s on top of him, half-horrified and blushing before she goes back and sinks her fangs into him a second time. Then there's him covering his mouth while clutching her dress as though it's his first time before laughing after he goes through the rest of it.
__________________
https://wandsandvials.wordpress.com/2017/12/27/an-alchemist-sets-out-1-01/

Last edited by Twi; 2021-08-06 at 16:21.
Twi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-06, 18:30   Link #43
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
Not a bad series after looking at the five episodes that were available so far.

But... I'll just come out and say it. The blood-sucking scenes skirt the line between sexual and violent. I mean, look at Vanitas with Jeanne. The way her eyes focus on his neck and the shaking camera as she tries to resist her urge until she finally gives in. Then there’s the aftermath where she’s on top of him, half-horrified and blushing before she goes back and sinks her fangs into him a second time. Then there's him covering his mouth while clutching her dress as though it's his first time before laughing after he goes through the rest of it.
Welcome to vampire stories? Vampires are almost always depicted as extremely sensual beings, with blood sucking ending up having sexual connotations.
__________________
Rize and Kaneki
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-06, 20:20   Link #44
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kobe, Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Welcome to vampire stories? Vampires are almost always depicted as extremely sensual beings, with blood sucking ending up having sexual connotations.
Yeah, that's as traditional as it gets with vampire fiction - they're basically all about sensuality and have been since they first appeared in legend.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-06, 22:17   Link #45
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Age: 31
It'd be harder to find a story including vampires that doesn't have some level of sexual undertones to it.
__________________




Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-07, 01:24   Link #46
Marcus H.
Lord of the Lap Pillow
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: the Philippines
Shiki, maybe? Also Fate with its Dead Apostles.

Also damn. Noé looked handsome in that clock tower scene with Vanitas.
__________________
Continuing from Winter 2021: Maiko-san Chi no Makanai-san (6/12).
Summer 2021: The Case Study of Vanitas (6/12), Realist Hero (11/13), The Detective is Already Dead (1/12), Isekai Drugstore (8/12), Kobayashi's Maidragon S (10/12) and White Sand Aquatope (6/24).


Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 32. Completed: 423. Plan to watch: 41.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-07, 02:06   Link #47
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Also Fate with its Dead Apostles.
Minor correction, Tsukihime is the Type Moon work with the Dead Apostles and it can get pretty sexual, being an eroge.
__________________




Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-07, 09:28   Link #48
Twi
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
It's just been a long time since I've read or watched a vampire-centric story. I don't know why but I was not expecting it going in.
__________________
https://wandsandvials.wordpress.com/2017/12/27/an-alchemist-sets-out-1-01/
Twi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-13, 16:33   Link #49
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NJ, USA
I hope Noe doesn't kill Vanitas simply because he likes Jeanne as well.
__________________
ars89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-13, 16:53   Link #50
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
I hope Noe doesn't kill Vanitas simply because he likes Jeanne as well.
Vanitas would have more to worry about if he doesn't provide Noe with a regular supply of Tarte Tatin from what we saw today.
__________________




Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-13, 17:45   Link #51
leongsh
Daijoubu!
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malaysia
Based on this episode (Episode 7), it looks like the following:

- Vanitas has really fallen in love with Jeanne. Even his 2 conditions to Jeanne in not revealing that she is a likely curse-bearer is very much to have Jeanne acknowledge and commit to him - calling him by his name and that she only partakes of his blood;
- Jeanne, in turn, has found herself inadvertently falling in love with Vanitas as well but strongly denies it, due to Vanitas being who he is, a smart but psychopathic schemer, and also a human;
- Noe, in not knowing what love is and no experience with it, feels jealous of Jeanne and admits to signs of love for Vanitas without knowing what those signs mean;
- Domi definitely understands what Noe just said and is devastated that her love of Noe is not reciprocated. While she tries to make it a bit more upfront, Noe only responds like a perfunctory lover.

A love quadrangle/rectangle...

Now, that's out in the open in the show, we turn to the more interesting Lord Ruthven. Definitely interested to know more about him (and the skeletons in his closet).
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-13, 18:30   Link #52
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 34
I totally thought Noe was falling in love with Vanitas but apparently the manga makes it clear it's actually Jeanne he likes and what he feels toward Vanitas is jealousy. Can anyone confirm? Because that would mean they're twisting the story for the sake of fujo pandering.

Vanitas is basically Touko from Bloom into you. So full of self-hatred that he can only love someone he's sure will never love him (well, try again).
__________________
Rize and Kaneki
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-13, 19:21   Link #53
BPD Renegade
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: at port, docked
The last few episodes have been pretty solid. Looks like Bones rushed the first few episodes so it could focus on the later ones instead. I'm cautiously optimistic about what's to come.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I totally thought Noe was falling in love with Vanitas but apparently the manga makes it clear it's actually Jeanne he likes and what he feels toward Vanitas is jealousy. Can anyone confirm? Because that would mean they're twisting the story for the sake of fujo pandering.
The manga wasn't clear at all. Noe liking Jeanne was really easy to miss (speaking as someone who didn't realize it until rereading the chapter again much later). I actually thought the anime was slightly more explicit in showing Noe was interested in Jeanne. This chapter was adapted pretty faithfully. It's Memoire 12 if anyone wants to compare.
BPD Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-13, 20:08   Link #54
Wandering Soul
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: America
I thought this would go down the Fuji route, so Noe falling for Jeanne comes off as quite the surprise
__________________
Wandering Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-13, 20:45   Link #55
leongsh
Daijoubu!
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malaysia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD Renegade View Post
The manga wasn't clear at all. Noe liking Jeanne was really easy to miss (speaking as someone who didn't realize it until rereading the chapter again much later). I actually thought the anime was slightly more explicit in showing Noe was interested in Jeanne. This chapter was adapted pretty faithfully. It's Memoire 12 if anyone wants to compare.
Is that so? Hmmm... Okay. Since you're a manga reader of the series. I take that as confirmation that Noe is after Jeanne instead of Vanitas. I went back to review the anime dialogue that Noe had on the roof with Domi. The reason why I went that route was Noe saying that he also wanted to have a taste of Vanitas' blood. Then, there is a disconnect between what he said there and what he said immediate before that about being jealous with respect to Jeanne getting to Vanitas first.
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-14, 00:38   Link #56
BPD Renegade
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: at port, docked
Quote:
Originally Posted by leongsh View Post
Is that so? Hmmm... Okay. Since you're a manga reader of the series. I take that as confirmation that Noe is after Jeanne instead of Vanitas. I went back to review the anime dialogue that Noe had on the roof with Domi. The reason why I went that route was Noe saying that he also wanted to have a taste of Vanitas' blood. Then, there is a disconnect between what he said there and what he said immediate before that about being jealous with respect to Jeanne getting to Vanitas first.
I wouldn't quite take what I said as confirmation...
Spoiler for Not actually a spoiler, but just in case:
BPD Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-14, 12:45   Link #57
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I totally thought Noe was falling in love with Vanitas but apparently the manga makes it clear it's actually Jeanne he likes and what he feels toward Vanitas is jealousy. Can anyone confirm? Because that would mean they're twisting the story for the sake of fujo pandering.
They really don't need to twist anything to pander to fujos with this manga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD Renegade View Post
The manga wasn't clear at all. Noe liking Jeanne was really easy to miss (speaking as someone who didn't realize it until rereading the chapter again much later). I actually thought the anime was slightly more explicit in showing Noe was interested in Jeanne. This chapter was adapted pretty faithfully. It's Memoire 12 if anyone wants to compare.
I personally never got the impression that Noe was into Jeanne at all.
__________________




Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-14, 18:37   Link #58
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 34
To clarify, what I read is that they removed previous scenes that hinted at Noe liking Jeanne.

Going by the anime, there is no ambiguity whatsoever to me. The one Noe likes is Vanitas. The thought of him liking Jeanne didn't even cross my mind. And I wear yuri goggles, not yaoi ones, so it's not like I'm seeing stuff that isn't there.
__________________
Rize and Kaneki
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-14, 23:33   Link #59
leongsh
Daijoubu!
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malaysia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
To clarify, what I read is that they removed previous scenes that hinted at Noe liking Jeanne.

Going by the anime, there is no ambiguity whatsoever to me. The one Noe likes is Vanitas. The thought of him liking Jeanne didn't even cross my mind. And I wear yuri goggles, not yaoi ones, so it's not like I'm seeing stuff that isn't there.
Oh really? That means my initial assessment is correct, i.e. that Noe liking Vanitas but not knowing that he is because he does not understand what being in love is like. I don't have yaoi or yuri goggles. It just seems obvious the implications of the symbolism that they have been using in place of love and sex.

I suppose until shown otherwise, I can still go with my initial assessment.
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-18, 11:40   Link #60
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: in a boring place you will not want to go to
Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
After episode 07, I can safely say "I'm madly in love with this show and it's the Anime of the Year for me." Every single moment is so enjoyable. I want to follow this gorgeous, sexy, snarky deviant and his dumb puppy vampire boyfriend to the ends of the earth.

Praise Bones for this gem of an adaptation and praise the mangaka for this gem of a story. We better get a second season.

TAKE MY GIFS, VANITAS x NOE SHIPPERS!!!

Spoiler:


^
Clearly in love.

Vanitas's scenes with Jeanne are also pretty hot; ngl. I think his chemistry with Noe is just off the charts though.
__________________
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.