AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Tales of... > Tales of the Abyss (Archive)

Notices

Old 2008-06-14, 21:15   Link #21
domino
デレデレ

I hope it'll be a TV series instead of OVA, too. If any Tales game ends up as a TV series, it would be Abyss, I guess, since it seems to be the fan favorite of the Tales series (highest ranked Tales game in Famitsu readers polls, anyway).

But the only thing that matters, of course, is seeing Jade in action.
domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-14, 21:23   Link #22
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Bah! No love for Natalia Luzu Kimlasca Lanvaldear? I'm disappointed in you guys...

And it's not as if Sunrise can't do multiple series at the same time, as they are a relatively big studio. IIRC, Kekkaishi was still running when Gundam 00 came out, for example.

As for the game itself, IIRC hard mode always had you thinking on your feet, as if you aren't careful any random encounter can spell gameover for you since they do a crap ton of damage. Which is the way I like my RPGs

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-14, 21:32   Link #23
TrueKnight

Because Natalia was a generic character so she is easily forgotten. Jade however, will be remembered decades to come.
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-14, 21:42   Link #24
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

^
Blasphemy! No one was heartwrenched at her conflict of choosing between Luke and err... Luke?

Jade who again?

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-14, 21:54   Link #25
kujoe
from head to heel

Each character has their special moments, and it's arguably true that Jade overshadows them all. However in the end, it's all about their chemistry as a party.

As for Natalia, well, as a supporting character she's being overshadowed by Guy, whose role she could have easily shared with during certain scenes. Not to mention, her significance as a character is tied to a certain person who's pretty much absent most of the time.

Now I wouldn't say that TotA was made for Jade... Rather, Jade was made for Takehito Koyasu. To be fair, Kirk Thornton did a good job as Jade as well, but Koyasu was more playfully subtle with the character in my opinion.

I played both the JP and US versions of the game. With that said, I tend to prefer some performances of one over the other depending on who the character is. For example, Sync definitely sounds better in the JP version, while Guy actually sounds great in the US version.

For the anime, I'm sincerely hoping that they keep the original cast which has remained consistent so far throughout the game and the drama CDs.

And because this is TotA we're talking about, it just has to be said: melons. They better include that skit in the anime!
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-14, 22:34   Link #26
hanseo
CC's Shining Knight

YAY!!!!!! TOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Guy, LUke Tear and Jade THIS IS GOING TO BE EPIC
Old 2008-06-15, 00:00   Link #27
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
^
Blasphemy! No one was heartwrenched at her conflict of choosing between Luke and err... Luke?

Jade who again?
I also like Natalia!

Mind you, I dont hate Jade, but I dont think he is the awesome supreme some people claim him to be either.
Old 2008-06-15, 00:17   Link #28
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Sunrise makes sense seeing as it's Namco Bandai and with them at the helm there's a chance it might actually be good unlike the last 2. Though I have this unsettling feeling they're going to try and add mecha to it somehow.

Production I.G might also make sense since they did the animation for the in game cutscenes, but I thought those cutscenes kind of sucked to be perfectly honest. Especially the one during the Binah war with the people that looked like smeared water colour pantings swirling around in a mass of blurry colour. I'm sorry but Production I.G does not do it for me like it does for others.

Two things to make this good:

1) Make it longer then 4 episodes because that way the narrative doesn't jump around constantly, though it being a Sunrise series that might happen anyway, though not as much in a timeskip fashion so much as a hopping between locations fashion.

2) Maybe try and do like Tales of Eternia where it's actually a side story to the game events. Eternia rocked in that regard because that way it wasn't all stuff we'd seen before and we got to see a new story with all our favourite characters. Again this being a Sunrise series there's a good chance we'll get a fresh take on the Tales of The Abyss series (nods to Xenoglossia), but not a guarantee.

Either way it's a studio I actually have a lot of respect and trust for so I'm actually somewhat interested in this now whereas before I just expected to brush it off in the next few days.

Interesting story, I've been on a Tales of The Abyss binge recently and it's possibly I may have caused this with that fluke that always seems to happen where if I become deeply involved in a game it either get's a sequel, remake or anime adaptation in the near future. Same goes for when I listen to a song on my own that never gets radio play anymore and it will be played on the radio somewhere the next day.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2008-06-15 at 00:36.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-15, 00:40   Link #29
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
And because this is TotA we're talking about, it just has to be said: melons. They better include that skit in the anime!
If they leave "Melons" out there will be blood. That skit is one of Luke and Tear's best exchanges

Also they have to keep in Tear's fetish for cute things and Guy's phobia
Old 2008-06-15, 00:49   Link #30
Tornix
The Evil Twin

Send a message via ICQ to Tornix Send a message via AIM to Tornix Send a message via Yahoo to Tornix
This is quite a surprise. I thought it would be an OVA instead, but I'm not complaining.

I enjoyed playing the undub mostly for the voiced skits. They just didn't have the same effect without voices. And, yeah, Guy's phobia is a must.
Old 2008-06-15, 01:10   Link #31
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling01 View Post
If they leave "Melons" out there will be blood. That skit is one of Luke and Tear's best exchanges

Also they have to keep in Tear's fetish for cute things and Guy's phobia
Ah Guy's phobia, so much fun to watch . Are certainly a few things you hope they will include in this.

I liked Natalia as well so certainly looking forward to seeing her in this. With a game like this plenty of characters to like from the cast. Also looking forward to Asch in action. By the end had become one of my favourite characters. No clue how he has been viewed overall considering he wasn't mentioned yet .

Am certainly going to enjoy this. Whatever form it ends up being. I'm hoping for a good series length so we can get as many of the good moments in as possible.
Old 2008-06-15, 01:15   Link #32
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornix View Post
This is quite a surprise. I thought it would be an OVA instead, but I'm not complaining.

I enjoyed playing the undub mostly for the voiced skits. They just didn't have the same effect without voices. And, yeah, Guy's phobia is a must.
My undub version doesn't have voices for the skits.

Here's a cast list from the game by the way:

Quote:
Luke Fon Fabre/Asche The Bloody: Chihiro Suzuki
Tear Grants: Yukana
Jade Curtis: Takehito Koyasu
Anise Taitlin: Haruka "Halko" Momoi
Guy Cecil: Yasunori Matsumoto
Natalia Kimlasca-Lanvaldear: Michiko Neya
Fon Master Ion/Sync The Tempest: Ikue Ootani
Mieu: Miki Maruyama
Van Grants: Jouji (George) Nakata
Arietta The Wild: Satsuki Yukino
Legretta The Quick: Miki Itou
Dist The Rose: Kazuki Yao
Largo The Black Lion: Tesshou Genda
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-15, 02:10   Link #33
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
There's a patch floating around
Old 2008-06-15, 02:12   Link #34
Z3120

Quote:
There's a patch released that provides voices now.

And, as for what they must include in the Abyss series or OVA, I demand, for reasons unknown to me, some special costumes make it. I want to see Guy in his Jump Suit. Looks totally cool
Z3120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-15, 02:16   Link #35
TrueKnight

Holy crap can't believe I forgot about Guy's phobia. Yeah those stuff would be absolutely hillarious if added. And yes there will be blood for Sunrise if they take out the melon parts. That's one of many reasons why Tear > other Tale heroines.
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-15, 03:07   Link #36
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Let's not forget the first "Tales of" TV series that everyone "thought" would be an adaptation of the game; it was a side story :\ . Not that Tales of Eternia TV was bad. It did manage to showcase everyone's personality just right, had quite a few funny moments, and showed some decent battles, so I enjoyed it quite a bit. Personally, I'd prefer it this way in a sense(good: new situations, unknown story; bad: missing epic battles or funny scenes from the game).

But lets recall that
Spoiler for ToA story spoiler:
. That's plenty of time for them to embark on some sidequest against some new villian.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-15, 03:09   Link #37
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3120 View Post
And, as for what they must include in the Abyss series or OVA, I demand, for reasons unknown to me, some special costumes make it. I want to see Guy in his Jump Suit. Looks totally cool
They could show some of the special costumes in some official wallpapers at the very least.
Old 2008-06-15, 03:26   Link #38
james0246

Quote:
Sunrise makes sense seeing as it's Namco Bandai and with them at the helm there's a chance it might actually be good unlike the last 2. Though I have this unsettling feeling they're going to try and add mecha to it somehow.
That is what Dist the Reaper is for . He can facilitate all of Sunrises Mecha lust.

That being said, while I am a fan of all of the Tales series, and am quite glad to hear that another Tales series is being made into animated world, I would have preferred to see an animated version of the second half of Tales of Legendia. Still, I will take what I can get .
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-15, 03:40   Link #39
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Production I.G, for all their 'we animate openings and cutscenes for tons of games' never does any adaption so it was to be expected.

Either way, Sunrise should do a decent job, especially if the rumors of it being directed by Kodama Kenji (( Kekkaishi, City Hunter )) is true.

Unless it's a side-story, Tales of the Abyss should at least be 26 episodes, really. What I found most compelling about Abyss was the progressive story of Luke's growth as a boy. Pulling Phantasia or Symphonia's skipping-OVA method would really ruin it.

It helps that personally, I consider Abyss's cast of characters to be consistently well-rounded, with some exceptions... like Anise and some villains.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-15, 03:45   Link #40
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
I won't be surprised if this turns out to be at least 26 eps or so. It would be a shame to cut it short for whatever reason (usually the lack of funds) but I can see Sunrise doing a good job of it. Well with it's current example of CG...that has a healthy mix of action/drama and "romance".

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy