AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-07-12, 16:52   Link #161
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg4619 View Post
Maybe not in terms of practice. However, there's no denying that same-sex crushes (definitely over represented in many stories) imply homosexual inclinations.
Of course, and I'm not denying that. I'm just saying there is a difference between being a woman who is attracted to women in general and being one who generally likes guys but might fall for one girl in particular. The latter is generally a cliche of yuri, but Fumi is different, and that's why she stands out so much.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2009-07-12 at 17:03.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-13, 06:26   Link #162
Thoguht

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Casual observation though... why is it that when the show is about lesbian romance... it just so happens that nearly all main women in the show are also lesbians?
Isn't that just another version of the Anthropic Principle?
Thoguht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-13, 06:40   Link #163
fleng

So Fumi had a batwing munching session with her cousin?

I like watching this show, it has nice scenery and splendid characters and animation... but of course I go huh every so often, because I a male and don't really understand what this show is really about.

I just like the calm serene peacefulness of it.. I don't mind the Lesbianism... I'm just curious. lol.

So what is this show about? besides that Lesbian Tall girl that always weeps..?
fleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-13, 06:46   Link #164
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleng View Post
So what is this show about?
A story that follows Fumi and Akira's life in high-school, which as you can see already will involve the relationships with the people around them. I thought that was pretty obvious after the first two episodes. Even after the first episode.

& just because you are male means you don't understand the story? That statement makes no sense at all.
Old 2009-07-13, 07:21   Link #165
fleng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
A story that follows Fumi and Akira's life in high-school, which as you can see already will involve the relationships with the people around them. I thought that was pretty obvious after the first two episodes. Even after the first episode.

& just because you are male means you don't understand the story? That statement makes no sense at all.
First off, I had no idea it was a Lesbian show.

Second, I thought it was a slice of life until episode 2 showing Fumi naked and getting touched by her cousin or something.

Third, I can't comprehend the female bonding that could and could not be lesbianism (just really good friend?) and why that Fumi keeps on crying and that to me is of course "Not to my understanding".

I'm sure a bunch of guys don't really understand what is going on in the female world since we think and act differently and go ahead ask guys what is Lesbianism about other than 2 girls getting it on naked for us to jerk on (lol) I bet most guys don't understand the mental and emotional things regarding Lesbianism other than the erotic nature of it.

Why I watch this show? Because of the art/animation since I am an artist as well.

I'm sorry if that don't make sense to you, perhaps now it will.

I will continue watching this show since it will educate as to what really is Lesbianism about.

P.S the only Yuri I have read was Maka-Maka.. again Damn good artist.
Old 2009-07-13, 07:27   Link #166
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
First off, I had no idea it was a Lesbian show.

Second, I thought it was a slice of life until episode 2 showing Fumi naked and getting touched by her cousin or something.
You never thought of using google to find the summary for the show?

Quote:
Third, I can't comprehend the female bonding that could and could not be lesbianism (just really good friend?) and why that Fumi keeps on crying and that to me is of course "Not to my understanding".

I'm sure a bunch of guys don't really understand what is going on in the female world since we think and act differently and go ahead ask guys what is Lesbianism about other than 2 girls getting it on naked for us to jerk on (lol) I bet most guys don't understand the mental and emotional things regarding Lesbianism other than the erotic nature of it.
I understand now that you've explained it, though at the end of the day they are just feelings, and even they are from a female, both sexes share them and experience them. So i don't see how it's that to understand why Fumi keeps crying.
Old 2009-07-13, 08:02   Link #167
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Interesting episode as the story is giving a little more information bit by bit. I must say i am fairly impressed by the writing but I was sure i would be in the first place. The interesting take on this Yuri is that Fumi has feelings for her cousin. We have seen plenty of animes where feelings between cousins was the norm however this time it involves a female. I was not sure in the first episode if something sexual actually happened but in episode 2 it was clear that they had a moment of intimacy it could have been several times since apparently they spent lots of time together. Obviously this is a love that could not bare fruit since Fumi's cousin married a man which is the norm. However, i wonder what Fumi's feelings are on this? i hope we get some clarification on her feelings. Eventually, I am sure Fumi will tell Akira the circumstances behind her crying over her cousin.

Akira's personality is that of a big sister she seems the more mature out of the two while looking younger and having a somewhat playful disposition, as opposed to Fumi's reserved and mature look but childlike crybaby personality she also seems evasive and indecisive. She also seems to be quite popular with her peers. I was not surprised to seem another instance of a crush between girls since around this age and at all girl schools in animes this is common, of course Fumi ends up witnessing an event between 2 other girls. I am very curious to see how the relationship between the two will blossom.

Over all the writing and story its self is quite appealing and not because its a Yuri. But i feel there are many life lessons that will be told through out the series. I am also very found of the bgm so far. Aoi Hana could possibly end being one of my favorite this season as lately i feel there has a been a shortage of decent writing in anime only to be favored by expensive animation which Aoi Hana actually have decent and sometimes gorgeous animation without sacrificing writing and character development aspect.
Old 2009-07-13, 08:06   Link #168
fleng

Quote:
You never thought of using google to find the summary for the show?

I understand now that you've explained it, though at the end of the day they are just feelings, and even they are from a female, both sexes share them and experience them. So i don't see how it's that to understand why Fumi keeps crying.
I just did Google after watching Episode 2. Episode 1 to me was somewhat a slice of life show.. until episode 2.

I understand the part why she cries... what i do not understand is why she keeps crying easily every scene. Probably she got tear ducts problem. It's just annoying sometimes.
Old 2009-07-13, 09:24   Link #169
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
I just did Google after watching Episode 2. Episode 1 to me was somewhat a slice of life show.. until episode 2.

I understand the part why she cries... what i do not understand is why she keeps crying easily every scene. Probably she got tear ducts problem. It's just annoying sometimes.
Did you consider that shes an emotional and a very sensitive person by nature? Some people cry more easily than others because their emotional response to events are stronger she she obviously harbors a lot of inner feelings that she does not talk about much so they manifest themselves in her crying. Even if we chose not to deal with our problems the body will find a way to relieve that stress. Some people its angry outburst for no reason for some its making a lot of jokes or talking a lot for others its crying.

Last edited by Sinestra; 2009-07-13 at 10:13.
Sinestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-13, 09:47   Link #170
fleng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Did you consider that shes an emotional and a very sensitive person by nature? Some people cry easily than others because there emotional response to events are stronger she she obviously harbors a lot of inner feelings that she does not talk about much so they manifest themselves in her crying. Even if we chose not to deal with our problems the body will find a way to relieve that stress. Some people its angry outburst for no reason for some its making a lot of jokes or talking a lot for others its crying.
Honestly I am insensitive and seldom gets the real jizz of the reason why so and so is so upset, but what you reasoned out really made me understand why she keeps on weeping and such. Thanks for helping me understand!
Old 2009-07-13, 22:06   Link #171
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Ep 2

This is fascinating. There's such an emphasis on feelings and bonds. Everything's so personal and intimate and presented with an appropriate subdued-ness and laid-back-ness. This is really setting itself up so well: there's a real tenderness to the way they've explored Fumi's emotionally vulnerable character and Akira is full of life. I'm really excited about where this is going. The set up is perfect for some really touching character and relationship development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
The second episode was terrific as well. So far I am loving everything except Horie Yui voicing Kyouko, her voice just doesn't fit Kyouko's personality, IMO. Judging by the manga, of course, because so far we haven't seen that much of her in the anime.
Personally, I think almost none of the seiyuu match their respective characters. The seiyuu work is about my only criticism of this show at this point, and it's not for lack of effort. I just don't think most of the roles have been appropriately cast.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-15, 00:37   Link #172
Falkor

I'm glad Kasai Kenichi is directing this show; he seems to know how to convey drama in a way that is both subtle and poignant, without falling in the trap of being too blunt or direct.

I was a bit surprised to discover that our heroine had such a soft voice, or even more surprised when I discovered that she had unrequited feelings for her cousin (and you cannot have yuri without an unrequited love :P). she does seem to be a very shy and insecure girl, and her voice just reinforces these two traits. I also found her internal monologues to be a very nice way to explore her character and feelings---using again that very subdue approach. and Fumi is just such an interesting and lovable character, someone you can't help but care for---and sympathize with. (props to the director for her great characterization)

oh and I really loved the opening. I think it did a great job capturing what I like about yuri: the feelings of tenderness that two females share. The dance was a nice way to present this, by avoiding any lead-and-follow roles; and allowing instead, the centrifugal force to be shared between the two while they danced to their hearts content (not sure if I'm making any sense :P). and the last part, oh the last part... the yuri-fan in me was so so happy and delighted, though not precisely because of the slightly erotic nature that was focus of the scene, but because of those feelings of tenderness that were again present. their hands were making a little contact, creating a very peaceful atmosphere; it was as though they wanted to emphasize the deep and tender bond that was connecting the two of them, especially with the subtle movement that came towards the end---really loved this part here...
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-15, 14:30   Link #173
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Spoiler for Episode 03:
Old 2009-07-15, 14:50   Link #174
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Ep3: I could just say I agree with everything Shiroth wrote. Hamada Kenji ftw (George in Paradise Kiss, Takumi in Honey & Clover, Kuze in ef melodies).

And the way they draw and portray Fumi in her room is just outstanding. So many beautiful moments, delicately but strongly portrayed. The contrast between her looks with glasses, and the way they draw her when she takes them off is just perfect: we see her unprotected, so to speak. I even enjoyed the little bit of 3DCG train against a wash background.

I never expected Fumi to have this little high voice, but the more I hear it, the more perfect it sounds: it reconciles her height and looks with her insecurity. Takabe Ai is giving us actual acting, in my opinion.

This and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 are the cream of this season's crop, so far, for me. (I like Canaan, Kanamemo, Bakemonogatari, and Princess Lover, too, in their different ways.)
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2009-07-15 at 15:39.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-15, 14:55   Link #175
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

@Kaoru Chujo - Do you happen to have any pictures of Takabe Ai?
Old 2009-07-15, 15:18   Link #176
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
@Kaoru Chujo - Do you happen to have any pictures of Takabe Ai?
Yes. There's one in my blog post about this show. That is one taken for this show. But if you search Google Images on her name in English (Ai Takabe) or Japanese (高部あい), you can find many shots of her from her swimsuit idol work.

There are also a couple of episodes around of Guren Onna, an entertaining late-night supernatural comedy dorama she starred in. There are links to her home page and blog on her Anime News Network page.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-16, 10:25   Link #177
vuori
The red fish is wisdom

Episode 3 was quite excellent. The show is still keeping to the manga near exactly. If anyone cares, episode 2 was chapters 2 and first half of 3, episode 3 was the rest of chapter 3 and chapter 4.

Spoiler for minor differences between anime and manga and episode 3 in general:

Regarding CR, I'd love to pay them for this show if they were willing to take my money.
vuori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-16, 11:54   Link #178
ThoHell

Dang, does Fumi just fall for people who first with her? Or is it people just fall for others so easily without really knowing them. This series makes it out like EVERY girl is up and open to being a lesbian. Dang straight up asking her out without even knowing..... or knowing for sure that is. The end made me a little bit sad for Ai-chan, since I'm kind of rocking the FumiXAi-chan boat.
ThoHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-16, 12:24   Link #179
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Yes. There's one in my blog post about this show. That is one taken for this show. But if you search Google Images on her name in English (Ai Takabe) or Japanese (高部あい), you can find many shots of her from her swimsuit idol work.

There are also a couple of episodes around of Guren Onna, an entertaining late-night supernatural comedy dorama she starred in. There are links to her home page and blog on her Anime News Network page.
She was also in the drama adaptation of Cat Street that was done last year (as the villain of the piece, actually), so you can find stuff about her if you look that show up, too. All six episodes are available in fansubs, if you know where to look.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-16, 16:16   Link #180
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
ep 2 ~ geez I am slowpoke
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, romance, school life, yuri