AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Guilty Crown

Notices

Old 2011-10-17, 15:41   Link #781
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Patriotism and guilt? Those don't seem shallow to me. It's true, as Reckoner says, that we don't get a very full experience of his motivations, but those are the ones we are given.
Probably part of the reason why Shu's depression didn't bother me as much as it did many other viewers is that it's frequently conveyed through one or both of two things in this episode:

1. Shu worrying about his place in the world.

2. Shu worrying about his country.

I like it when teenaged anime characters think about things beyond just their own personal desires, and gratifying themselves.

I like it when they have "big picture" concerns in mind, and so this is something I like about Shu.

When emo characters bother me is when they are self-absorbed to the point that the only problems they see are their own very personal ones ("How do I get this girl to like me? Why is my teacher being such an ass to me? Man, my fellow club members cause me so much grief"), and they go on and on and on about it. I'm also much more forgiving over internal 'emo' monologues than I am over lengthy verbal angsting. People don't fully control where their minds go, but people can control what they say. So I can't fault someone's mind for going to dark and depressed places, but dragging those around you down with whiny talk is a choice that can be helped.

Quote:
Someone said he wanted a hero who was gar. I don't, necessarily, so maybe that's the difference: preferences and expectations, as opposed to the actual quality of the piece.
I honestly tend to prefer a careful and thoughtful protagonist over a "bull in the china shop" badass/anti-hero. That being said, Sho isn't quite there on the "careful" part of course.

But, in the ways I've already mentioned, I do like his thoughtfulness.

Now, in fairness, Shu has an incredibly tough act to follow for those who were hoping for this anime to be Code Geass Version 2.0 (and I know for a fact that some where, including myself to a certain degree) - That act being Lelouch Lamperouge.

Shu isn't likely to be the intellectual, tactical, strategic, anti-hero that Lelouch was. And I can understand why that would disappoint some people.

But at some point, I think Shu should be evaluated on his own merits (or lack thereof).

I honestly don't see how he's currently any worse than the majority of anime male leads out there, at least when you compare him to where they were after just one episode (Kamisama no Memochou's Narumi started off a bit emo himself, imo).

It would be nice if the guy could at least be given a few episodes to develop his character, and show what he can do.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2011-10-17 at 15:52.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-17, 16:37   Link #782
chaos_animagic

Am I the only one who thinks this is an extreme parody of "after the nuke" and Japan is now dependent on another country (the military is gone, and supported by other countries)
chaos_animagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-17, 17:46   Link #783
Edged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelia aurita View Post
It's definitely "Funell" in Funimation's subs. I don't trust my memory 100%, but I'm pretty sure it was spelled "Endlave" too.

It was endlave. Even the guests pronounced it like that.
Edged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-17, 17:53   Link #784
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
(Kamisama no Memochou's Narumi started off a bit emo himself, imo).
That's quite an understatement

I guess I'm getting over it,no use in complaining,he's the protag whether I like it or not.

I'll just hope he develops nicely.
Old 2011-10-17, 20:58   Link #785
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
I mean, character development would be a lot more interesting when we see him develop. When you cram all that into the first episode, it just feels kind of pointless and there's no payoff.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I wonder if I should be mentioning this cause it may break some hearts, but Red Juice doesn't do the anime designs, he did the original designs which you can seee in some of the promo art and what not. The designs used in the show are by Hiromi Kato. Just want that out there for the record.
Nah, I don't think it'll be a big issue as it's not really a surprise as it seems to happen all the time when an illustrator makes the designs. Drawing artist creates the original designs and then the animation character designers or the chief animation director seems to adapt those for animation since they'd be too crazy detailed and shaded for animation I guess.

Good points Xander.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2011-10-17 at 21:15.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-18, 00:26   Link #786
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Probably part of the reason why Shu's depression didn't bother me as much as it did many other viewers is that it's frequently conveyed through one or both of two things in this episode:

1. Shu worrying about his place in the world.

2. Shu worrying about his country.

I like it when teenaged anime characters think about things beyond just their own personal desires, and gratifying themselves.

I like it when they have "big picture" concerns in mind, and so this is something I like about Shu.

When emo characters bother me is when they are self-absorbed to the point that the only problems they see are their own very personal ones ("How do I get this girl to like me? Why is my teacher being such an ass to me? Man, my fellow club members cause me so much grief"), and they go on and on and on about it. I'm also much more forgiving over internal 'emo' monologues than I am over lengthy verbal angsting. People don't fully control where their minds go, but people can control what they say. So I can't fault someone's mind for going to dark and depressed places, but dragging those around you down with whiny talk is a choice that can be helped.

I honestly tend to prefer a careful and thoughtful protagonist over a "bull in the china shop" badass/anti-hero. That being said, Sho isn't quite there on the "careful" part of course.

But, in the ways I've already mentioned, I do like his thoughtfulness.

Now, in fairness, Shu has an incredibly tough act to follow for those who were hoping for this anime to be Code Geass Version 2.0 (and I know for a fact that some where, including myself to a certain degree) - That act being Lelouch Lamperouge.

Shu isn't likely to be the intellectual, tactical, strategic, anti-hero that Lelouch was. And I can understand why that would disappoint some people.

But at some point, I think Shu should be evaluated on his own merits (or lack thereof).

I honestly don't see how he's currently any worse than the majority of anime male leads out there, at least when you compare him to where they were after just one episode (Kamisama no Memochou's Narumi started off a bit emo himself, imo).

It would be nice if the guy could at least be given a few episodes to develop his character, and show what he can do.
For me, it's not shu's emo personality that bothers me, but why he went into emo relapse. I mean, it's fine to go emo over inability to save close friend or family, but to went emo from not saving a terrorist that he barely knew? And even worse, when he basically has no chance by being a normal teen with guns pointed at him by official officers? I can't help but laugh when he went emo from it
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-18, 04:13   Link #787
PzIVf3

This series is a revised version of Busou Renkin.
PzIVf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-18, 05:15   Link #788
SoFarGone
H.A.M.

I love the music and art. The story is okay for now.
Old 2011-10-18, 09:45   Link #789
Jarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelia aurita View Post
I saw it yesterday too. Some pics first:

Spoiler for Synopsis of episode 2 and Q&A:
Well there goes that Daryl theory. Also the idea of just yanking weapons out of your enemies is hilarious.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-18, 12:08   Link #790
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PzIVf3 View Post
This series is a revised version of Busou Renkin.
GC has a lot of homages to various other series, but I don't really see any similarities to Busou Renkin though.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-18, 14:45   Link #791
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

The Director's statements that he wants this to be his GitS is about as /facepalm as Yamakan saying he's the savior of anime. The Director would be better served keeping his mouth shut and letting his work speak for him.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-18, 15:04   Link #792
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I'm sure those words will haunt him for the rest of his life. Sadly probably plague us with nonsense comparisons to GitS inevitably as well.
Old 2011-10-18, 15:43   Link #793
Shinn Kamiyra
Enthralled by music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Indeed, having thought more on it, that's my main sentiment about the episode as well. I love the post apocalyptic (kinda) setting, the gloomy and oppressive mood, the shadow politics behind the scenes, secret army divisions, rebel resistance, the works. The world setup is ripe for a great show, but it's the characters operating within said setup that didn't quite allow the first ep to truly shine.

Inori aside, whom I found aptly intriguing for the most part, the other two characters worth noting from ep1 were Gai and Shu. Gai is alright as the badass resistance leader (though they overdid his entrance, and him allowing Shun to simply run off with the genome was a bit ...questionable), but it's Shun that has the most negative aspect on the setup and the overall seriousness of the mood of the story. Which is pretty ironic, since he is supposed to be one of the central figures for the show to revolve around.

No, I am not talking about his personality, but rather the events that stem from his involvement. Namely, the last two or so minutes of the episode - I found them quite out of touch with the mood and identity of the rest of the ep. What had been a rather realistic, if a bit over the top, depiction of oppressive regime and the military's crushing down the opposition suddenly came to a screeching halt when a teenage schoolboy came yelling down the street, pulled a magical three meter sword from hammerspace within the main female's chest and proceeded to dice up a modern military vehicle.

This sequence of events seriously propelled the show in the eyebrow-raising territory for me, and was the main reason that prevented me taking the show seriously as a whole. Everything had been more or less perfect up to the very end, where the gritty realism took a backseat to the revelation that this uuber-secret weapon that the military have been developing is ... an oversized sword. Bleh. I felt somewhat betrayed by that being the big secret of the genome.

And that is my main gripe with the episode - everything would have been perfect, from fantastic visuals to occasionally gripping music to gritty, "realistic" setup, if not for Shu showing up and developing the ability to pull swords from female chests amidst all of it. Swords that are, apparently, superior to modern military equipment. It felt like a pesky drop of oil amidst an otherwise clear glass of water. It won't ruin the drink, but will make you wince at the fact it's not as good as it could have been.
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss this whole sword business just yet. It's the Void Genome itself, something which we know less than nothing about, that made it all possible and thus could be seen as the real weapon.

I prefer to see the sword as merely the physical incarnation of the Void's power, something which was stressed to be quite dangerous early on. Bearing this in mind, it's not surprising at all that it was able to take out a single mecha with relative ease.

More importantly though, I'm anxious to see if Shu is capable of drawing anything else besides that sword. Of course there's no proof one way or the other just yet, but it certainly would be a letdown if Inori happened to be the only one that Shu's new found power worked on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall
Ironic, really, but the impression I got from ep 1 was that the show would actually gain from the absence of Shu, and the concepts he brings along with himself. Ah well, it was still a good start, better than most other things this season, but sadly the final few minutes felt like they took away from the great world building effort the episode did before them, rather than added to it.
Really? I find Shu's presence to be rather indispensable. To me, he comes off as a humanized incarnation of the current state Japan is in, only able to survive now by depending on the help of others, just as our protagonist was only able to make it through by depending on Inori's power.

I'm quite looking forward to seeing how this still weak boy will grow up and what consequences his actions will have on Japan in the future.
Shinn Kamiyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-18, 15:44   Link #794
com_gwp

Just watched the first episode. Impressions:

Normal! But actually NOT! Protag + Mechs + Orwellian Dystopia + checklist of cast stereotypes

So my question is this: How did this walking mess of cliches WORK SO WELL

And Dat production values. Dat BGM composition and arrangement.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-18, 21:58   Link #795
Random32
Also a Lolicon

I don't really understand the hate on heroes that aren't GAR type ridiculous heroes. Shinji type>GAR type imho. They feel more like actual people.

There isn't enough SciFi in anime as of late, just a lot of SciFantasy and sadly this seems to follow the trend.

The end sucked though. Shu went all rambo and pulled a sword out of a girls chest. Conflicts with the mood set in the first 20 minutes greatly.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-18, 22:58   Link #796
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

My impressions:

- I deserve to be kicked for this but, F'YEAH, GEEEAAAASSSSSSS---

- Extremely awesome opening scene.

- Sexy visuals, sexier music.

- Tachikoma bots lulz.

- Someone had a Japan-la-Resistance complex. Repeat after me: Code G---

- Boy is awkward, quiet, and bishounen. He was acceptable for most of the episode (more below).

- Girl got a super sexy design, but her personality (admittedly we haven't seen much of it yet) should have been more realistic, to juxtapose with her Visual Kei model design. I'm talking specifically about the scene where she did the enigmatic magical girlfriend "if it's you [hero], you can do it" routine. There were many other ways to make that scene work better. For instance, don't let her do that.

- We all were 15 once, and any male who pretends he wouldn't try to save the princess when he was fifteen and in love at first sight is either a bloody liar or bloody boring. That said, they *could* have handled that much better, or even cut that out and made it simple human sympathy instead. At least I thought the reason he went to "atone" for his earlier "weakness" was clear enough.

- I thought he was cool when he ran trying to protect the vial. It was at just the right level of heroism, not suicidal Hero with a big H, but an action that was appropriate to his capability and still showed his determination. They could, at that point, and indeed later when the princess was in a pinch, gave the hero some more chances to show his wits and natural intelligence. I mean, the whole bloody district was a warzone! Just successfully escaping in intelligent ways would have been sufficiently epic.

See, when a lithe, pretty boy with little physical and magical power pull off something awesome with a bit of brains and a bit of bravado, it's sexy, it's epic, it's a moment of sublime appreciation (you Golgo GAR nutjobs can screw off). He doesn't need to save the world, smash big robots, hear the lamentations of their-- wait, wrong series; anyway, he just needs to do what he can, and we'll all fall in love (the "he's just a little cool" moment). Unfortunately--

- ...that didn't happen. The Geass scene -- pardon, the bigass sword scene -- was a big mood whiplash. Awkward, high school student bishounen got sword, bishie went RPG hero on robot's ass. Too fast, too early. Too much JRPG fantasy.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-18, 23:03   Link #797
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
My impressions:
*snip*
See, when a lithe, pretty boy with little physical and magical power pull off something awesome with a bit of brains and a bit of bravado, it's sexy, it's epic, it's a moment of sublime appreciation (you Golgo GAR nutjobs can screw off). He doesn't need to save the world, smash big robots, hear the lamentations of their-- wait, wrong series; anyway, he just needs to do what he can, and we'll all fall in love (the "he's just a little cool" moment). Unfortunately--

- ...that didn't happen. The Geass scene -- pardon, the bigass sword scene -- was a big mood whiplash. Awkward, high school student bishounen got sword, bishie went RPG hero on robot's ass. Too fast, too early.
Almighty... Hat off to you sir, this post is golden.
Old 2011-10-18, 23:13   Link #798
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
- We all were 15 once, and any male who pretends he wouldn't try to save the princess when he was fifteen and in love at first sight is either a bloody liar or bloody boring.
He's actually 17.

Otherwise, beautiful post.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-18, 23:16   Link #799
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
The Director's statements that he wants this to be his GitS is about as /facepalm as Yamakan saying he's the savior of anime. The Director would be better served keeping his mouth shut and letting his work speak for him.

Personally I am more concerned with him saying he wants it to be like Eden of the East; since that anime was a huge disappointment to me.
Old 2011-10-19, 06:19   Link #800
Thousand Mistress
Glory to the Wind!

Send a message via Yahoo to Thousand Mistress
Guilty Crown.

What can I expect more from Production I.G..
The animation is epic as always, plus, the music is stunning.

Inori is cute and is an amazing singer, but somehow I like Tsugumi better for no particular reason.

Tags
action, noitamina, production_ig