Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-07-08, 13:01   Link #81
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
What you're saying as "need for improvement" is what is defined as "neglect". Granted no one put the kid on a scale to see if she lost weight. But you have the food, one episode of being home unsupervised and her general appearance. (I keep bring up appearance because her peers have nice ponytails and she's got that "wild thing" going on with the hair now whereas when mom was alive she had ponytails.)
The definition of neglect has some subjectivity to it that you're not allowing for. As it says: "to the degree that the child’s health, safety, and well-being are threatened with harm." Your line of what is being "threatened with harm" is just way more extreme than I feel most people would apply; even the very best parents probably would not live up to that strict of an interpretation. I can understand your concern about her being left alone on one occasion to some degree, but bringing up her hair is too extreme. No one's going to come knocking on your door for that; she is not in harm's way. (And in this anime, I'm pretty sure they used that style to look more cute anyway, not to imply it was a sign of neglect.) Even the food -- it may not be home-cooking or the most healthy food possible, but even what they showed covered the major food groups and had enough quantity. She's not going hungry, and not visibly unhealthy.

Of course there is risk in everything, but I don't think anyone would consider it reasonable to ever have kids if their parenting skills were going to be judged as severely as you're implying they should be.
Old 2016-07-08, 14:54   Link #82
zeross87

wow this is so sweet i can't believe i waited this long to watch it.

tsugumi voice reminded me of naru's from barakamon but it was instead hina's :O
zeross87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-09, 05:25   Link #83
Beobachter

Quote:
Yes, I'm being serious. The title even shows that the other girls are well-groomed. Even that girl had her hair styled when her mother was alive.
Oh, okay. Kind of see your point there, even if I don't agree (I gotta assume that those "other girls" still have both parents, for one). Thanks for clarifying and sharing your perspective.

I write some stuff about manga, anime, and assorted Japanese media here.
Beobachter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-09, 13:39   Link #84
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

I really can't believe people interpreted this as "man is a bad father". I mean, the guy's just lost his wife that he surely loved and relied on. He took a huge hit, possibly worse than the child who seems to be blissfully unaware of the weight of reality. He's still doing his best and caring for her while keeping up his job but is of course a bit out of funk. Quite understandable I'd say. Story will probably be about him coping with the loss through love for his daughter and forming bonds with other people.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-09, 15:33   Link #85
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
I really can't believe people interpreted this as "man is a bad father". I mean, the guy's just lost his wife that he surely loved and relied on. He took a huge hit, possibly worse than the child who seems to be blissfully unaware of the weight of reality. He's still doing his best and caring for her while keeping up his job but is of course a bit out of funk. Quite understandable I'd say. Story will probably be about him coping with the loss through love for his daughter and forming bonds with other people.
What do you even mean by "bad father"? Nobody's accusing him of purposely neglecting her. But a child needs what she needs, no matter how understandable his "funk". He's not an evil man. But he is, arguably, one overwhelmed by his responsibilities as a teacher and a single parent, not to mention his grief as a widower.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-09, 17:13   Link #86
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
What do you even mean by "bad father"? Nobody's accusing him of purposely neglecting her. But a child needs what she needs, no matter how understandable his "funk". He's not an evil man. But he is, arguably, one overwhelmed by his responsibilities as a teacher and a single parent, not to mention his grief as a widower.
Well, yeah, that seems to be the driving conflict of the show. No one is saying he's perfect, of course his grief is affecting both him and by proxy his daughter. But it's a pretty natural process that some might stay in the place where he is now after a major loss, as well as slowly come out of it afterwards. What I don't understand is the extremely judgemental approach towards his character - some people made it sound as if the child was being almost abused by a lack of proper home cooking and perhaps being left alone for a while in front of a TV. It seems to me the show's making it abundantly clear that the child IS happy with her father, but clearly longs for things that she misses from when her mother was there too. Finding a new equilibrium will obviously be the main theme of the story.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-09, 19:27   Link #87
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
Well, yeah, that seems to be the driving conflict of the show. No one is saying he's perfect, of course his grief is affecting both him and by proxy his daughter. But it's a pretty natural process that some might stay in the place where he is now after a major loss, as well as slowly come out of it afterwards. What I don't understand is the extremely judgemental approach towards his character - some people made it sound as if the child was being almost abused by a lack of proper home cooking and perhaps being left alone for a while in front of a TV. It seems to me the show's making it abundantly clear that the child IS happy with her father, but clearly longs for things that she misses from when her mother was there too. Finding a new equilibrium will obviously be the main theme of the story.
It's all in how we interpret the... little signs. A child having a low appetite once or twice is meaningless. Being left alone once is... not good, but ok, shit happens, and she didn't get hurt. But I don't believe they're isolated incidents. They - along with all the other signs - are what the anime used to show us that things were bad, or getting there.
Old 2016-07-09, 19:37   Link #88
Blueknight78

well i was trying to avoid it but, it's feel which peoples are loosing the real focus of this serie, the focus of this serie to be fair wil be making "food" like shokugeki no soma, will be the father learning to make good foods for his daughter not if he is a bad or good father.
Old 2016-07-09, 20:16   Link #89
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

The series is about cute little girl doing cute things and man coping with the loss of his wife. The father is doing fine, all things considered, and so is the little girl. The series is a warmhearted slice of life about recovering after a loss, not a cold drama about bad parenthood.

Everyone is being way too dramatic and paranoid about the little girl's life.

The implied "next step" is just absurd too. If you think the father is in the wrong then what you're saying is basically we should be sending the father to jail and sticking the little girl in a orphanage separating her completely from (as far as we know at the moment) the only family she has left. On the scale of shitty childhood I don't think I can even think of a worse possibility other then the father outright dieing.

Technically he's already more or less going to try improving so don't see why this is even an issue worth discussing. Even if he fails to learn cooking he can just eat with the girl at the restaurants or take food with him from similar places. It's a complete non-issue. Other then fatigue everything else in his life looks fine too.

As for the alone thing, when I was little I was alone for 1-2 days all the time. As far as I'm aware that's also very common where I live. It's nothing special. If you're not some crazy kid with a death wish you don't need to be watched 24/7 and it's simple enough to make a phone call to check periodically. And when I was little we didn't have the fancy smart phones we have now. He don't seem to live in some stupidly dangerous area, so I don't see the problem.

Probably will stick with the show, but don't think I'll be opening this thread ever again.
Old 2016-07-09, 20:37   Link #90
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post

As for the alone thing, when I was little I was alone for 1-2 days all the time. As far as I'm aware that's also very common where I live. It's nothing special. If you're not some crazy kid with a death wish you don't need to be watched 24/7 and it's simple enough to make a phone call to check periodically. And when I was little we didn't have the fancy smart phones we have now. He don't seem to live in some stupidly dangerous area, so I don't see the problem.

Probably will stick with the show, but don't think I'll be opening this thread ever again.
And this is why I mention "cultural". That would mean big problems from the authorities where I'm at. It's not going to mean crap where you're from.

Where I'm at it's like Anh_Minh was saying...it's those little things. Little things can add up to a big mess. "Little things" like not feeding your kid is a sign of neglect where I'm from. Let's face it. It only took a bowl of rice to satisfy her. Imagine what a case worker would be saying. "Dad can't even cook a bowl of rice to feed his daughter."

----

And even if you have one parent, the responsibilities didn't end because the other one is missing. The remaining (custodial) parent is responsible. No excuses.

-----

The show is probably meant to show the joys of <home>cooking. But you can't ignore the societal background elements (Traditional working dad now having to also be the "mother". Can you really leave a 6year old home alone? What constitutes "neglect" in your society and in the anime?). Not everyone is going to look at it from my perspective.
Old 2016-07-09, 22:36   Link #91
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
The series is about cute little girl doing cute things and man coping with the loss of his wife. The father is doing fine, all things considered, and so is the little girl. The series is a warmhearted slice of life about recovering after a loss, not a cold drama about bad parenthood.

Everyone is being way too dramatic and paranoid about the little girl's life.

The implied "next step" is just absurd too. If you think the father is in the wrong then what you're saying is basically we should be sending the father to jail and sticking the little girl in a orphanage separating her completely from (as far as we know at the moment) the only family she has left.
That would be a very last resort. Ideally, a social worker would point out what he's doing wrong, offer assistance where it's needed (maybe a place in preschool?), he'd rectify things and that would be it.
Old 2016-07-09, 23:20   Link #92
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
That would be a very last resort. Ideally, a social worker would point out what he's doing wrong, offer assistance where it's needed (maybe a place in preschool?), he'd rectify things and that would be it.
Yep, prob after he satisfies the social worker.

https://consumer.healthday.com/encyc...ct-648566.html
Old 2016-07-10, 00:58   Link #93
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Let's face it. It only took a bowl of rice to satisfy her. Imagine what a case worker would be saying. "Dad can't even cook a bowl of rice to feed his daughter."
That really wasn't the point. Being able to home-cook a bowl of rice as shown is not a requirement to being a successful parent, but obviously the child was longing for home-cooking because it reminded her of her mother. It wasn't really about feeding the body, but "feeding the soul," as it were. That's why this was never a question of neglect, or about her being unhappy or unhealthy, it's just about forming even-deeper bonds between parent and child. The author is advocating that home-cooked meals are a way to do that.
Old 2016-07-10, 01:44   Link #94
p-kun

So, we have a girl whose father puts effort to spend time with but can not cook for/eat often with her. On the other hand, we have another girl whose mother puts effort to cook delicious food for her but can not spend time to be with her. It's a nice contrast.
p-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-10, 02:04   Link #95
Brother Coa
Banned

Such sweet anime, I love it.

Tsubaki reminds me of Yuzuyu from 'I love you baby' anime.

Very emotional and very engaging, real life drama and I love it.
Brother Coa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-11, 13:24   Link #96
kuromitsu

Ep 2:

It took about halfway into the episode that I got up and got myself something to eat...

I'm a bit relieved that they're at least addressing the whole "she's your student, for pete's sake" thing, although in the end it didn't really go anywhere because they cooked and agreed on a next time without Kouhei ever talking to her mother. And I mean, yes, I understand the whole "back in my days students were closer to their teachers" thing but presumably those students didn't have an obvious crush on their teachers. I mean, really. I'm enjoying the show (although I'm shallow so the premise got me with "Nakamura Yuuichi plays a father") but the romantic aspect is souring it... especially with now Tsumugi seemingly playing matchmaker, too.

(By the way it's not that have a beef (har har) with teacher/student fantasies, but the more realistic a setting is, the more such elements bother me. How is Kouhei even a teacher.)

Anyway, negatives aside, I'm really enjoying the family and the cooking parts of the show. The family parts are heartwarming, and I can relate to the cooking parts so much! Difficulties in slicing vegetables correctly and to the correct size, oh yes, been there, done that, sliced my own fingers... (But I've already given up on trying to make a "cat paw" while slicing, it never worked.)

Also, Nakamura's voice is sooo soft and warm, I could listen to it forever~ But did Tsumugi have such an exaggerated baby lisp in episode 1, too? It was a lot more pronounced this time, and I'm not happy about it. Whoever is instructing Endou to do this should stop.

Kotori is afraid of knives and sharp things. But she always has bandages on her fingers which in anime world are the result of cutting oneself when trying to cook. So what's with that?
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-11, 14:30   Link #97
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Tsumugi trying to wink is like the most adorable thing I've ever seen in an anime lol
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-11, 15:34   Link #98
Brother Coa
Banned

God Emprah... this show is just HGGGNNNN..... :3

Spoiler for Big cute image:

And yeah, I agree with kuromitsu. I really hope they will not force relationship between student and teacher because it is sooooo unnecessary.
The rest is fine as it is, I am interested to see further developments. Seems they are aiming so far in teacher and student compensating for stuff they cannot do alone with Mugi in a mix to release the stress.

I love it so far.
Brother Coa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-11, 15:35   Link #99
James Rye

Watching this show is so heartwarming. I had such a stupid grin on my face when Daddy-san was so happy that Tsumugi said his food was yummy. And her "wink" with the apron was soooooooooo adorable! <3 <3 <3
Next is the Hamburger! Keep growing as a Chef, Daddy! Make your daugther say "yummy" a lot of times!
Old 2016-07-11, 15:55   Link #100
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Another good episode.

At least got some more insights as to what Kotori was hoping to get through all this. In the end her knife trauma would certainly limit the amount of cooking she can do herself. Leaving her to basically heat things, just eat rice all the time, or order in . It gives her the chance to taste good and tasty meals and doesn't put the pressure on her to overcome her fear immediately.

Pretty solid progression. The teacher not jumping into that situation, but trying to move it forward in a way that made sense. I have to wonder how much money Kotori's mother is making through her television job that she can basically afford to let her restaurant go under. I can't imagine that place lasting long with such inconsistent opening times because the chef can be called out at any time.

In the end they have parental consent and it is cooking at a place of business. For the sake of letting that kid have some good and tasty meals it seems a worthwhile venture. Sure, the father could keep working on cooking at home by himself....but the level of quality in the finished product will just be different.

Tags
cooking, slice of life