AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2012-08-11, 17:55   Link #201
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I've always thought hiding SSIDs was one of those silly efforts at "security" that add nothing at all. If you want to make your network secure, use WPA encryption and either strong passwords or certificates. Hiding the SSID might keep little Johnny next door from discovering you have a network, but it does nothing to improve the security of corporate networks.

That said, the fact that Win8 cannot connect to networks with hidden SSIDs is even sillier than hiding the IDs in the first place!
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-12, 01:19   Link #202
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
like Vexx said, just wait for the sp1.
Actually, many companies specifically wait until SP2. That just seems to be Microsoft's historical "it finally works okay" point for conservative usage.
Old 2012-08-12, 10:34   Link #203
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Actually, many companies specifically wait until SP2. That just seems to be Microsoft's historical "it finally works okay" point for conservative usage.
So conservative usage is still on vista/xp?
Old 2012-08-13, 01:41   Link #204
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
So conservative usage is still on vista/xp?
Vista SP2 was released in 2008, XP SP2 was released in 2004.... many companies have not approved Win7 for their internal use yet. I'm not certain where the humor is... many companies have internal mission-critical applications and validation of an OS upgrade is a slow, careful process.
Old 2012-08-13, 01:53   Link #205
monster

Quote:
Vista SP2 was released in 2008
Minor correction: Vista SP2 was released in 2009. 2008 saw the release of Vista SP1 alongside Server 2008, as well as XP SP3.

At the rate Microsoft is going with their OS cycle, I'm guessing XP is the last version to have more than two major service packs. Vista stopped at SP2 and 7 may not even get SP2 if there's no news by 2013.

I wonder how they're planning to update/refresh Windows going forward, starting with Windows 8, seeing as how WinRT is still an immature development platform. Waiting 2-3 years for Windows 9 would not be good. They need something more than what a service pack usually offers for a Windows installation.

Last edited by monster; 2012-08-13 at 02:03.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-13, 14:45   Link #206
monster

Well, according to a third-party article regarding Windows RT:
Quote:
And while I can’t reveal the Windows RT device lineup I’ve viewed, I can tell you that these devices will indeed be priced comparably with the iPad. As a reminder, Apple prices the iPad at $499 to $829, depending on configuration. And not surprisingly, the Windows RT device price range will look shockingly similar to that.
That seems sensible, but we'll see how true this end up being.
Old 2012-08-13, 15:58   Link #207
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I know of several companies that are thinking of just jumping forward into a Win7 verification/validation process since it is proving relatively stable from the get-go. But their IT people are saying it will be years before they consider Win8.
Old 2012-08-14, 08:12   Link #208
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
I know of several companies that are thinking of just jumping forward into a Win7 verification/validation process since it is proving relatively stable from the get-go. But their IT people are saying it will be years before they consider Win8.
We are going to have a bonus this year! Aaannnnndddd it's gone.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 15:23   Link #209
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

after using my copy of the RTM, I noticed a speed bump. Windows 8 scales even better than the Release Preview. the system is really snappy and...faster than when I was using the RP. Also, the start screen looks very trippy in the RTM.

About the Start Screen:

When I first used the Developer Preview, I absolutely hated the Start Screen: It was awkward, and pretty much a hassle to use, but fast forward months later and I really appreciate the new Start Menu(yes the Start Screen is basically an improved Start Menu). it's really fast, and it's powerful, especially the search capabilities.

also, I seem to also appreciate the fact that there is no tug-of-war between the 3d desktop (dwm) and the old UI. you can feel that windows 8 feels snappier because they've done away with the GDI-made graphics
Old 2012-08-14, 23:39   Link #210
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeriolewinters View Post
About the Start Screen:

When I first used the Developer Preview, I absolutely hated the Start Screen: It was awkward, and pretty much a hassle to use, but fast forward months later and I really appreciate the new Start Menu(yes the Start Screen is basically an improved Start Menu). it's really fast, and it's powerful, especially the search capabilities.
Seems still useless and ugly for me
Old 2012-08-15, 00:17   Link #211
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
Seems still useless and ugly for me
I kinda want to travel back to 94' when people felt the same way about the Start Menu replacing their sacred Program Manager
Old 2012-08-15, 03:53   Link #212
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
I kinda want to travel back to 94' when people felt the same way about the Start Menu replacing their sacred Program Manager
I'm not sure I even remember that. People do complain about new stuff though. Thing is, it's not just a Start Scree, that's the main problem. They didn't just replace the start menu, they are apparently trying to lockdown windows through the metro store.

Last edited by npal; 2012-08-15 at 04:25.
npal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-15, 04:22   Link #213
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal View Post
they are apparently trying to lockdown windows through the metro store.
That may be true for Windows RT, but not for Windows 8. In Windows 8, the Windows Store provides links to acquire submitted Desktop apps. Also, in both Windows 8 and Windows RT, commercial non-Desktop apps are licensed for up to 5 Windows 8 and/or RT devices at any one time. So, at least with Windows 8, it actually provides more choice regarding apps than previous versions of Windows.
Old 2012-08-15, 06:04   Link #214
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
They didn't just replace the start menu, they are apparently trying to lockdown windows through the metro store.
Nope, nope and nope. the Start Screen is just a new version of the Start Menu, and it's much much more powerful.

I'm currently using the
Spoiler:

and there's no such limitation for Windows 8, you can still pretty much install stuff the old way, and then some.

It's lighter than W7 because it does away with the GDI 2d interfaces that were in W7, it's prefetching capabilities are great compared to its predecessor. And for AMD FX Series users: It has substantial gains, since W8 plays better with Multicore architectures.
Old 2012-08-15, 06:52   Link #215
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:

and there's no such limitation for Windows
Yet. If MS can put Metro into every desktop and make the average user prefer it over desktop, you'll get a nice apple-style lockdown afterwards.
Old 2012-08-15, 08:03   Link #216
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
These kind of comments may have merit in the consumer market.... but changes like this have actual impact for business users --- training, desktop layout, etc. A business says, "The damn thing was working..." Hint: Microsoft gets a vast chunk of money from Fortune 500 corporations and more.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...ome-the-bacon/
http://www.informationweek.com/softw...tren/232900660
Old 2012-08-15, 08:19   Link #217
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
Yet. If MS can put Metro into every desktop and make the average user prefer it over desktop, you'll get a nice apple-style lockdown afterwards.
Except that is not why they're doing that to windows 8. Windows 8 was developed as an attempt to bridge devices into a single platform. If they were going for a lockdown, then they should've not given OEM's a chance to get RT and locked it for the Surface, and Surface Alone.

And the reason for the Surface? Well, it's to show the OEM's that they could do even better.

And this is already moot, since... Windows 8 still has the desktop environment.

Quote:
but changes like this have actual impact for business users --- training, desktop layout, etc. A business says, "The damn thing was working..." Hint: Microsoft gets a vast chunk of money from Fortune 500 corporations and more.
So basically, what your saying is that the businesses will have a hard time using the new interface, when in practice, the people don't even really use the start menu that much.

Again, I point back to the times when people didn't like the same start button in favor of the Program Manager: It's not that bad of a change since the Start Screen is just an improved Start Menu. Whereas back then, the differences between the Program Manager and the Start Menu were really big. In the Start Menu vs Start Screen comparison, It's the same menu presented in 3D-Acceleration, and hell the Start Screen can bring up the program you want faster than the Start Menu can, I've tried it using a 4 yr. old computer vs an i3 with 8GB RAM.

It's the same Start Menu, but with faster search times and more search options.

Last edited by aeriolewinters; 2012-08-15 at 08:31.
aeriolewinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-15, 08:51   Link #218
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Except that is not why they're doing that to windows 8. Windows 8 was developed as an attempt to bridge devices into a single platform. If they were going for a lockdown, then they should've not given OEM's a chance to get RT and locked it for the Surface, and Surface Alone.

And the reason for the Surface? Well, it's to show the OEM's that they could do even better.

And this is already moot, since... Windows 8 still has the desktop environment.
I didn't say they'll lock the PC down in Windows 8. But should this thing actually succeed, you'll get it by Windows 10.
Old 2012-08-15, 09:07   Link #219
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
I didn't say they'll lock the PC down in Windows 8. But should this thing actually succeed, you'll get it by Windows 10.
Remember when Windows had "Games for Windows Live" and people said that MS was locking down windows as a gaming machine?
Old 2012-08-15, 09:27   Link #220
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Remember when Windows had "Games for Windows Live" and people said that MS was locking down windows as a gaming machine?
GFWL is a failure for many reason. hence why is not take off.

we will see weather is this is failure or not. if it is, MS probably will separate both UI for tablet and desktop. if it success. they probably still keep it but with some streamlining

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote