AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2011-02-03, 20:55   Link #41
Kikaifan
Blazing General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Tiida Lanster, too. I partially agree with you, that even if RF6 retreats, it's not a horrible thing. The question is how the upper brass might see it, and whether someone else might use it as leverage somehow. After all, Regius tried outright to find any black mark he could to disband RF6.

It also depends on if Tsuzuki wants to address any politics in this. I liked that aspect in StrikerS, and I do feel like there is another part to this story that involves the Bureau in connection with those scientists, so we'll see.

I could envision a scenario where the ultimate mastermind(s) contacts the Hucks and says, "Now you see that you can be hurt. Get back in line, or I'll send even more of these forces out after you." And if they do, such a person might try to delay or disband RF6, possibly using a retreat as a wedge.
Would be pretty interesting if they used the same events to manipulate both sides. It's certainly not unrealistic, there have been plenty of battles in history where both sides came away weakened or bolstered.
Old 2011-02-03, 21:27   Link #42
Justin_Brett

Not really. The only one that's actually done it's job properly is Nanoha's weapon, and it was specially designed to suit her. Other mages would probably only have the Strike Cannons, and they SUCK. Even if it's just a prototype, only two real methods of attack is pretty counter-intuitive to most mages.

It kinda bothers me that they seem to think all forms of magic are useless, now. Like, remember that Starlight Fall spell Nanoha used only once? How about a bunch of guys who can do that in more specialized ways? I doubt they could shrug off a volvo-sized boulder.
Justin_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-03, 21:34   Link #43
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Brett View Post
It kinda bothers me that they seem to think all forms of magic are useless, now. Like, remember that Starlight Fall spell Nanoha used only once? How about a bunch of guys who can do that in more specialized ways? I doubt they could shrug off a volvo-sized boulder.
Partial point: Hayate is forming a big iceberg, but Karen either destroyed it, or her attack on Hayate somehow ended the spell.

Stardust Fall: No rocks around since they are over the ocean.

Last point: Cypha said she can destroy that which was formed from magic, which was why Signum's fire spell fizzled, and why presume Levanteinn was blown apart. So if you put it together with magic, it can be taken apart with delinking.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-03, 21:37   Link #44
Justin_Brett

Well, then get mages who can use magic to control mass, or material objects. I was using that as an example, but really, it's MAGIC. You can potentially do anything with it, it's not hard.

And she blew those Strike Cannons up pretty easily too. They seem to be LESS durable than a Device.
Old 2011-02-03, 21:47   Link #45
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
To be fair, plenty of devices have sustained damage or been cut in half, especially in S1 and A's. Anything can be broken if it is hit the right way, or with enough force. And were the Strike Cannons of Erio and Vita actually broken? I couldn't tell from those limited pictures; just that Vita and Erio were out of action (and Vita did break Karen's sword).

As far as other mages, well, these are our heroes. Short of introducing new ones, we work with what we got. Out of all of them, it did make sense for Hayate to have a new spell like an iceberg. I don't see much how Nanoha and Fate's magic would do something like that.

But I did suggest the cyborgs should have been brought in. Hell, converting magic to physical energy is something Otto does naturally.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-03, 21:52   Link #46
Justin_Brett

I know. It just bugs me that there are loads of potential solutions to this problem that still involve magic, but they're not going to be used just so the Hucks can be a ridiculous threat and the heroes they now are popular can still be used. Sort of breaks the suspension of disbelief.

Hell, the second Isis tried to use one, she got her neck broken for her trouble.
Old 2011-02-03, 21:52   Link #47
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
Well they are just hardware, perhaps manufactured.

Well, yeah. She'll be back.

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
itanshi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-04, 00:51   Link #48
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
I know. It just bugs me that there are loads of potential solutions to this problem that still involve magic, but they're not going to be used just so the Hucks can be a ridiculous threat and the heroes they now are popular can still be used. Sort of breaks the suspension of disbelief.
Point taken.

In fact the Stardust Fall-like spells are pretty good options because Nanoha only lifted the rocks and used magic to propel them with enough force to become powerfull proyectiles, the de-linkin will only cancel the pink aura pushing the rocks but they still will be under the attack of fast propelled heavy pieces of stone. I don't know how Otto's powers work but if it where true that she can use her powers without mana-linking that woulbe make her "Ray Storm" spell into a very suitable option to attend the case, after all it's a multi-target, high powered continuous beam attack. even if it can stop cold the huckebein still can limit their movements greatly. We still need to watch the chapter to know how exactly Karen saves the Huckebein from Hayate's Titanic-killer attack, tough.

Quote:
Hell, the second Isis tried to use one, she got her neck broken for her trouble.
Isis is the first character who creatively uses magic in a way that let her avoid the hucks delinking in order to effectively attack them(using spells that mix the chemicals creating ractions with diverse effects that suits various situations, pretty smart from her part). also is very unlikely that she will get out of action, this probably only will serve to reveal more of her true nature.

For the moment we need to wait still another two or three chapter for this battle to finally end, it's the first real encounter with the Huckebein and we're about to see if the TSAB and Hayate learn from their mistakes and make a more elaborate strategy to deal with these guys. Meanwhile be prepared for the Huckebein's Victory Party aboard the Huckship, Karen invites the second round xD!.

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-04, 01:44   Link #49
Justin_Brett

Two or three MONTHS? Oh god, I hope you're overestimating that. It's glacial enough as it is.

And I just sort of assumed Karen blew up the ice. You can see shards of it still there in one of the pictures.
Old 2011-02-04, 01:49   Link #50
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Two or three MONTHS? Oh god, I hope you're overestimating that. It's glacial enough as it is.
No, that's an underestimation of it.

It's going to be at least six to eight months, where 2 to 4 of the parts are split into two parts just to annoy all of us.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-04, 01:51   Link #51
Justin_Brett

And one of them only shows what Steed has been doing this entire time.
Old 2011-02-04, 01:54   Link #52
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
And one of them only shows what Steed has been doing this entire time.
and that one issue is 30 poorly paced pages of showing EVERY DETAIL of what Steed is doing.

Like, in one panel it lifts its right thing up, the next panel, it's up higher.

But on the next page! *Gasp* They're both up!

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-04, 02:03   Link #53
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Steed's likely been wandering around the forest this whole time since the last we saw of him is when he was searching for an escape route when Cypha appeared.
Old 2011-02-04, 02:16   Link #54
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
Wow, he could have a comic all to himself!

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
itanshi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-04, 02:51   Link #55
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Magical Device Adventurer Steed xD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
and that one issue is 30 poorly paced pages of showing EVERY DETAIL of what Steed is doing.

Like, in one panel it lifts its right thing up, the next panel, it's up higher.

But on the next page! *Gasp* They're both up!
Yeah, what's up with these people, i know they want to make emphasis on details but FORCE is taking that to ridiculous levels, making chapters with tons of pages but little content that only slow things down and annoy the readers xDU(in contrast with the fast paced, action-packed MOVIE 1st manga). Like i posted before on another site, Tohma is the worst offender, the guy take among three pages just to perform a basic move, i know he's the main character and they try to make him spectacular but please, there are people who are able to perform the same task on a single page(or a two-page wide panel if you want).

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-04, 05:33   Link #56
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Koveras Alvane Send a message via MSN to Koveras Alvane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Which one is this?

Spoiler for Go tell the Midchildan, stranger passing by:

Or maybe they can revive Simonedes/make a simulation of him so he can make a better one, I'm no poet
Good try, but nearly not enough delicious Engrish.

Quote:
I might be giving Tsuzuki too much credit to think he's tying StrikerS and Force together with the same Bureau conspiracy that's still going, despite the loss of Regius and the Brains. But it might be interesting to learn there are still side projects going, with more middle manager types still aiming for an advantage to move up.
There is no Bureau conspiracy. It's the Belkans a.k.a. the Grey Men, I keep telling you.

Quote:
Partial point: Hayate is forming a big iceberg, but Karen either destroyed it, or her attack on Hayate somehow ended the spell.
My Japanese contacts say that it was Cypha who destroyed the iceberg by simply slashing away at it. It seems that even though the ice was formed with magic, it was, in itself, held together by basic laws of physics. Hayate tried to meld the pieces back together and that's when she got stabbed by Karen.
Old 2011-02-04, 05:45   Link #57
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiyoshi View Post
=making chapters with tons of pages but little content that only slow things down and annoy the readers xDU(in contrast with the fast paced, action-packed MOVIE 1st manga).=
This somehow reminded me of Tekken Chinmi/Kungfu Boy: Long but drawn out fights and only a bit of dialogue, especially later volumes.
Old 2011-02-04, 10:16   Link #58
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Personally, I think we should not spend too much thought on the whole breaking iceberg thing. This looks like the same level of contradiction that Kamijou Touma's Imagine Breaker and Asuna's Magic Cancel suffer from, and those debates (particularly the Imagine Breaker one) are still going on despite starting years ago.

Last edited by Keroko; 2011-02-04 at 12:54.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-04, 10:41   Link #59
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
This somehow reminded me of Tekken Chinmi/Kungfu Boy: Long but drawn out fights and only a bit of dialogue, especially later volumes.
That's the whole draw of Tekken Chinmi though.

Dynamic fight scenes, and nothing else. Despite being very drawn-out, the flow behind Chinmi is evident, and the author makes the effort to piece every part of the action while making each page tightly structured.

The opposite of Force, where it's quite evident the artist isn't very good at framing and bringing the flow of fight scenes into the small frames and storyboards in the manga. It feels like the artist knows how to storyboard for anime or simple 'plot' manga, but not so much for action manga. ( Shina Dark had this draggy feeling too with that bull-fight. )

And frankly, there's not much plot to begin with in Chinmi to begin with. The story arc's pretty self-contained. :3

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-04, 13:07   Link #60
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Here's how the iceberg thing went:

Spoiler:

Tags
manga, nanoha force