AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2005-12-28, 04:48   Link #121
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by LytHka
The sound could be desynchronized because of ffdshow audio filters. I know for a fact that the AC3, LPCM (for DVD), Vorbis filters in ffdshow have a hard time ensuring stable, "skipless" audio playback on slower PCs, in my case it was the harddrive's fault. So I use the "core" audio codecs (CoreVorbis, AC3filter) on that particular drive so that the audio doesn't skip with "special encodes." Surprisingly, ffdshow's AAC audio filter seems to work out fine for me.

When I said sound is desynchronized... well I dunno now where to see the fps but let's say u feel the system heavy like u were playing encode of 1024*something in P3 550 with 128 ram and with a TNT2. Other words... u dont play well. Yeah I had this system before... I had to buy my actual system coz I couldn't watch anime.
Old 2005-12-28, 05:35   Link #122
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

@Tiberium Wolf: That SSO clip is both licensed and a DVDrip - in this place, that's worse than any hentai ~_~

In any case... guess what K-Lite uses for H.264 decoding? ffdshow. MKV splitting? Haali's splitter. Softsubs? VSFilter (they even install two versions - they seem to think that redundancy is good). Now... lo and behold. CCCP USES THE EXACT SAME THINGS (at least for H.264 playback)! Either you're doing something wrong, using different players (you might be using MPC's internal filters, who knows - however, its MKV splitter fails and its subtitle renderer is slower than VSFilter) or it's the placebo effect.

In any case, that SSO OP is a real CPU killer - if that works, you can probably watch most H.264 files without lag.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-28, 18:18   Link #123
Eeknay
Gendo died for your sins.
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryFire
It seems like DB has decided that all future releases will be 75 mb h.264 files. Personally I'd prefer 87mb since it would allow higher quality audio/video and 52 episodes per dvd.

I downloaded the episode and it was watchable. Video quality was as expected as I had played around with an older bleach raw near those bitrates not too long ago. Blocking isn't too bad though a fair amount of detail seems to have been lost; I don't have the raw to look at (maybe it was filtered out?).

It looks as good as (better then?) some 175mb xvid releases I've seen, at least in some parts. Though that my just be my sleepyness getting to me. However, the 64kbps audio doesn't sound all that great.
I decided to check out this out myself. Just from watching the OP and a few choice scenes, it's worse than the xvid but only very slightly. However the audio is *terrible*. That needs to be bumped up.

EDIT: I went back and watched more... and it's actually not that great at all visually. The ED is completely destroyed and throughout the whole episode there's a lot of blocking on faces.

Last edited by Eeknay; 2005-12-28 at 19:27.
Eeknay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-28, 20:02   Link #124
DryFire
Panda Herder

I only watched a few minutes of it. I recall parts of the op had basically lost a lot of detail (i.e. the scene where captain unoha (sp?) walks past a wooden pillar and it is just a solid color). I don't have it to look at again but I wouldn't be surprised. And yes 64kbps audio is horrid.

I'm with quarkboy as far as audio bitrates are concernced, though i prefer vorbis in some instances.
DryFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-29, 11:49   Link #125
subcool
Arienai Co-Founder

Send a message via ICQ to subcool Send a message via AIM to subcool
Lunar released Bleach in H.264 too... just too bad its in MKV and not MP4 (personal preference ) and they made it 170 MB... im quite sure that 140 MB with the right settings woud be more that sufficient =)
Saves 30 MB per download

@ wingdarkness:
You are blind if you think a H.264 does not top XviD and/or DivX, im sure nobody would contest me on this :P (if both version are some the same source and with correct settings)

And as NSW said, watch our (Arienai's) Pretty Cure and compare. Do _NOT_ use DB's Bleach ffs, reasons for this can be found in Quarkboy's post (the whole speed over quality thing)
subcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-29, 13:36   Link #126
ArchMageZeratuL
Aegisub dev
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by subcool
Lunar released Bleach in H.264 too... just too bad its in MKV and not MP4 (personal preference )
Too bad? Oh, yea, sure, why go for the superior container when you can stick to mp4...

Quote:
and they made it 170 MB... im quite sure that 140 MB with the right settings woud be more that sufficient =)
Saves 30 MB per download
On the other hand, I wish Ginban Kaleidoscope was 170 MB... (personal preference )
ArchMageZeratuL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-29, 13:39   Link #127
Eeknay
Gendo died for your sins.
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchMageZeratuL
On the other hand, I wish Ginban Kaleidoscope was 170 MB... (personal preference )
Curious Eeknay is Curious. Why 170MB? You prefer the "same filesize, higher quality" approach? (I know this makes sense given your affiliation with KAA but hey you never know)
Eeknay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-29, 13:42   Link #128
ArchMageZeratuL
Aegisub dev
*IT Support

Yes. Even though I'm currently on my father's place (with its awesome 128/128 connection), I would preffer the extra quality, and I can clearly see in that anime that it could look a lot better, given the raws.
Old 2005-12-29, 16:56   Link #129
Skyw4lker

Quote:
Lunar released Bleach in H.264 too... just too bad its in MKV and not MP4 (personal preference ) and they made it 170 MB... im quite sure that 140 MB with the right settings woud be more that sufficient =)
Saves 30 MB per download
The first few episodes they encoded with H.264 were ~140 MB. I wonder why they decided to increase the file size...
In my opinion the smaller file size was a plus compared to the normal XviD version (~175 MB).
Skyw4lker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-29, 20:36   Link #130
TheFluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyw4lker
The first few episodes they encoded with H.264 were ~140 MB. I wonder why they decided to increase the file size...
In my opinion the smaller file size was a plus compared to the normal XviD version (~175 MB).
Because of an internal discussion where it was decided to go for "same size, higher quality". However, with the quality of the raws, that's not so very much better... still, it's a sound policy IMHO.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2005-12-30, 00:11   Link #131
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

What differences lie among audio/video encoded mp3 , mp4?
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-30, 00:58   Link #132
movax
Hosar Sub-God

Send a message via ICQ to movax Send a message via AIM to movax Send a message via MSN to movax Send a message via Yahoo to movax
MP3 is shorthand for MPEG--1 Layer 3, the audio standard most commonly known as MP3. There is no "MPEG-3".
MP4 is the container format of the MPEG-4 specification, but is also misused to represent ASP or AVC video of the MPEG-4 spec.
movax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-30, 16:56   Link #133
enzo80

can anyone post step by step how to run Videos with H264, for noobs
enzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-30, 17:50   Link #134
LytHka
Banned

@enzo80: Anime Playback Components - I hope this helps. If you have a slow PC, for example around or even under 1 GHz, you will need to give VideoLan Player or MPlayer a chance since they take less CPU power than your average ffdshow + DShow player(MPC, ZoomPlayer).
LytHka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-31, 05:20   Link #135
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSS
IMO Nero lc-aac codec quite good, just dont use thier he-aac mode for encoding.
If ppl really need to encode 5.1 channel + VBR + low bitrate, better choose Ogg vorbis(though there still some problem with Ogg vorbis encoder/decoder ect ect are waiting to solve)...

(Im sorry all about this off-topic, the off-topic stater is me , if can, Mod please move/split the off-topic to new thread...)
Done. If anyone wants to find these posts, they're now in the The AAC discussion thread

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-31, 05:24   Link #136
TheFluff

On a different topic, I just re-did the CPU time test on my laptop (a pretty old and tired Asus with a 1.4 GHz Celeron and 512 MB RAM) and had some... interesting... results.
Using the same SSO OP and the same ffdshow build, the laptop (which by all rights should be about half as fast as my Athlon X2 desktop) uses about 5-8 seconds less CPU time than the desktop does. VLC just refuses to play anything at all. My conclusion: NEVER TRUST TASK MANAGER. I will completely disregard all CPU usage reports for any player whatsoever until someone finds a reliable tool to do the measurements with.

EDIT: I FAIL IT. I thought I had Cool'n'Quiet off on the X2, but apparently I didn't, which means that the X2 was running at half the clock speed. Please disregard this post.

Last edited by TheFluff; 2005-12-31 at 05:53.
Old 2005-12-31, 10:54   Link #137
subcool
Arienai Co-Founder

Send a message via ICQ to subcool Send a message via AIM to subcool
Quote:
Too bad? Oh, yea, sure, why go for the superior container when you can stick to mp4...

Simply because MP4 has hardware support and some other nice features... and oh yea did i mention its supported by H.264 hardware players?
btw, saying MKV is superior to MP4 is bs :P
Its a matter of preference (just like the choice of DivX 5/6 or XviD) and i prefer MP4 :P

Putting more bits into Ginban is useless, it won't improve the video quality at all... just add useless bits to the image.
The raws aren't exactly superb :P

I'd only use 170 MB on a H.264 encode if the difference between 140 and 170 is clearly seen. But even Pretty Cure DVD's are fine at 140 MB too, using 170 MB would not improve quality on those either
subcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-31, 12:20   Link #138
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Simply because MP4 has hardware support and some other nice features... and oh yea did i mention its supported by H.264 hardware players?
So he says. Okay, let's hear it. Which hardware players on the market support your encodes?

Quote:
We had that before. MKV has actual tool support which MP4 is lacking. Where MP4 could _theoretically_ support many things, it simply doesn't most of them. Even basic encoding concepts like true variable framerate encodes are out of current MP4's scope. MKV delivers what MP4 only promises to do one day - if ever.

Quote:
Putting more bits into Ginban is useless, it won't improve the video quality at all... just add useless bits to the image.
Blanket comments like these are almost always wrong. Almost certainly the video quality will be improved. Why can't you just say that the quality gain is too small in your opinion to justify it?

Quote:
I'd only use 170 MB on a H.264 encode if the difference between 140 and 170 is clearly seen. But even Pretty Cure DVD's are fine at 140 MB too, using 170 MB would not improve quality on those either
The old "improve quality on same filesize or same quality on smaller filesize" question. Fair enough if you settle on the first option.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-31, 12:22   Link #139
ArchMageZeratuL
Aegisub dev
*IT Support

Quote:
Its a matter of preference (just like the choice of DivX 5/6 or XviD) and i prefer MP4 :P
Let's ignore the fact that MP4 currently has no means of working with VFR videos, shall we? Which is important in several animes, fansub or otherwise... assuming the encoder knows what he's doing, that is.

Quote:
Of course, more bitrate is useless if you don't know how to change your filter chain to take advantage of it.

[Edit] Ugh, AGAIN... Mentar posted right before me
Old 2005-12-31, 12:33   Link #140
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Let's ignore the fact that MP4 currently has no means of working with VFR videos, shall we? Which is important in several animes, fansub or otherwise... assuming the encoder knows what he's doing, that is.
Actually, it's more that thre's no GOOD way of doing vfr with mp4... it's not impossible.

In any case, sub cool is a poor advocate for anything.

We do Ginban at 140 because I feel the quality is about the same (a bit better, maybe) than the equivalent 175 MB xvid. The raws are basic 640x480 resolution, relatively decent, but nothing special (and frankly, neither is the animation). Would quality improve at 175 MB? Well, not with sub cool encoding, that's for sure . You're quite right, it simply wouldn't improve enough to warrant the extra filesize.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote