Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-03-09, 21:19   Link #1201
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by krko View Post
Notice that the narration of Madame's life was done entirely in third person (hence the narrator was definitely not her) but the narrator suddenly become introspective ("Now that I'm this old...") implies that one of the other characters in that scene was the narrator. (probably Kanata since she takes over the narration after a certain point).So its probably safe to say that Kanata will survive this anime.
Or it could be simply Madame Jacott reviwing her life story in third person.

If this really ends at 12 then I have to say that it feels a bit too rushed. Hopefully there'll be a second season or something.
Old 2010-03-09, 22:16   Link #1202
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Excellent episode. I especially liked the way everything has been implied, just gradually more and more overtly until now it is obvious -- but still not directly stated.

And the plot -- or the plot that has until now lain above the level of these characters -- seems about to get interesting.

I still feel something lacking in this show. The emotions not deep enough? I'm not sure what it is. But the show is excellent in many ways.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-10, 00:17   Link #1203
OrionCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Well I feel an odd contrast between Kanata and Rio.

Kanata's parents would've rather have her married off and inherit the household but she joined the military. Seize and her home town being remote places she won't have to worry of a phone call from her folks to get married.

Rio on the other hand is more complex. She joined the military to get away from her father. In a twist of fate with her sister dead she is the only chance at peace. But at the expense of her own happiness. Being married off to be added to the enemy leader's wives as a sacrifice is a fate I don't want anybody to have.

Bet if any of Rio's admirers heard about it they'd rather have war than send their Fire Maiden as a sacrifice to the proverbial monster.

In the end with the entire country in danger Rio resigned to her fate to save it.

I have to say the archduke Akira has some gall to ask Rio of this. After years of neglect he wants her to sacrifice whatever small happiness she has. The people didn't like the Princess Illiya to married to the emperor what makes him think they would like his sole remaining child to such a person.
1) She's 3rd in line, which means there are at least 2 senior to her.

2) It's not shown directly but Helvetia is in pretty bad shape from the war just ended. In ep 8 the Archduke was absolutely clear on the phone about how he felt: the country could be destroyed if she doesn't marry the Emperor.
OrionCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-10, 00:56   Link #1204
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionCA View Post
1) She's 3rd in line, which means there are at least 2 senior to her.
Which isn't the point I was making. I did not say she would inherit the Helvetian throne. Just that Helvetian public opinion is against such deals.

If Kureha is to be believed the war started because the Emperor wanted Helvetia part of his hegemony by marriage and he was willing to pull a war to do it.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-10, 03:28   Link #1205
al103
Grumpy Russian bear

Send a message via ICQ to al103
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
If Kureha is to be believed the war started because the Emperor wanted Helvetia part of his hegemony by marriage and he was willing to pull a war to do it.
War continued for much longer than 2 years. Marriage was to happen 2 years ago. It was failed attempt to conclude peace, not cause of war.

PS. Also Nanoha/job, Honor/job and Rein/Agito.
PPS. Proud Athrun/Cagalli/Meyrin shipper.
al103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-10, 05:41   Link #1206
klare

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Well not too bad. Rio is on her way though obviously things won't settle down so simply after this. They've been fixing this tank for the whole series it's going to go out and fight something .
but i can imagine in the end, Kanata will be on top of the tank playing her new trumpet and the war will be ended, the tank or the squad will have no chance to be seen fighting

only 2 more eps to go, i hope the end will not be like Rideback...
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-10, 05:46   Link #1207
NinjaYali
Banned

Quote:
Well not too bad. Rio is on her way though obviously things won't settle down so simply after this. They've been fixing this tank for the whole series it's going to go out and fight something .
A princess (well almost princess) goes to promote peace...where have we heard this before?

I bet they have a Black Sun on the other side. Damn UEF.
NinjaYali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-10, 06:07   Link #1208
NinjaYali
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
but i can imagine in the end, Kanata will be on top of the tank playing her new trumpet and the war will be ended, the tank or the squad will have no chance to be seen fighting

only 2 more eps to go, i hope the end will not be like Rideback...
Well, it's going to end a little like this. Band of Sisters. (Apologies for applying wrong terminology in regards to armoured divisions)

Spoiler for We few, we happy few, we band of sisters. For she today who moe moe kyuns with me shall be my dakimakura:

I'll add more later.
Old 2010-03-10, 23:38   Link #1209
bloodraze

While the ED was really out of place for EP7, but this time instead of giving me a mood whiplash it somehow made me even sadder. Why? Because Rio was in it and the part where she high fives Kanata was really ;.;
bloodraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-11, 01:14   Link #1210
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaYali View Post
A princess (well almost princess) goes to promote peace...where have we heard this before?
I would say that Rio should have seen this cliche coming, but with the loss of knowledge all the old cliche's are fresh again .
Old 2010-03-11, 03:07   Link #1211
NinjaYali
Banned

Quote:
I would say that Rio should have seen this cliche coming, but with the loss of knowledge all the old cliche's are fresh again .
I just forgot there's also aliens. So they may throw in a bit of this as well.

The Aeon, UEF and Cybran sure have a thing for self-sacrificing women who with a few kind words ends the war. I wonder if Supreme Commander 2 is going to be like this.

Quote:
While the ED was really out of place for EP7, but this time instead of giving me a mood whiplash it somehow made me even sadder. Why? Because Rio was in it and the part where she high fives Kanata was really ;.;
Let's lighten up the mood. Band of Sisters, Part 2!

Spoiler for Summary Parody, no way meant to play down events of WW2:
Old 2010-03-11, 03:26   Link #1212
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I don't see anything cliched about this at all. Tragic, maybe, but not cliched. She's not a peacemaker, she's a sacrificial pawn, as women often are in feudal patriarchal societies, sent to marry some old geezer or his son, in order to forge bonds of family between two groups, so that they won't fight each other. As far as we know at this moment, she is sacrificing her life as an independent person for the sake of her people's safety.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-11, 03:45   Link #1213
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I don't see anything cliched about this at all. Tragic, maybe, but not cliched. She's not a peacemaker, she's a sacrificial pawn, as women often are in feudal patriarchal societies, sent to marry some old geezer or his son, in order to forge bonds of family between two groups, so that they won't fight each other. As far as we know at this moment, she is sacrificing her life as an independent person for the sake of her people's safety.
Well as said in contrast to Rio Kanata could fulfill her dreams while tragically Rio could not do so further serve as as she wants.

Kherubim made an excellent point that Kanata may be a daughter of rich land owners given her description of her home and their probable preference of her inheriting the household as a wife.

Did Rio even explain to Kanata she was to be married off to the enemy and probably as a hostage? Probably not. Rio is bound by her loyalty to the people. The people look at her for assurance while unaware of her true identity. Their hope for peace rides on her shoulders.

Rio fulfilled her role as teacher to Kanata as Illiya taught her. Now she is at an uncertain fate with a man she hardly knows. Will she experience happiness again? Nobody knows. One thing is for certain her memory of being part of the Fortress Maidens will always be with her.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-11, 05:10   Link #1214
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
New info on the new "Roman" girl Aisha
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-11, 05:51   Link #1215
bloodraze

Aisha huh?

Well that is quite an awkward moment, with the Noel and Kanata blowing rice soup with the enemy tied rather poorly. I mean she has her hands tied with only a piece of cloth or she could even strangle Noel with her legs while Kanata while just panic or white out. So many chances of escape.

BUT that's just me thinking. Still looking forward towards the epic oppai grab tho. hehe
bloodraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-11, 06:21   Link #1216
NinjaYali
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Well I haven't seen the episode yet although I have read the spoilers so I don't know. But originally I was guessing this was comparable to what we see in Supreme Commander, Pocahontas and Emperor and the Warriors.

A girl says a few kind words and everyone stops fighting.
Old 2010-03-11, 12:44   Link #1217
PastPrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodraze View Post
Aisha huh?

Well that is quite an awkward moment, with the Noel and Kanata blowing rice soup with the enemy tied rather poorly. I mean she has her hands tied with only a piece of cloth or she could even strangle Noel with her legs while Kanata while just panic or white out. So many chances of escape.

BUT that's just me thinking. Still looking forward towards the epic oppai grab tho. hehe
I think that we are more likely to see an epic battle soon. With the web site's preview ending with a closeup of Nomansland on the map it probably means that the troop movements on the eastern border were a diversion and the main Roman army is making a flanking movement thru Nomansland to attack what they think is the unguarded rear. I think that in episode 12 we will get to see what the girls can do in their spider tank. If they take out the Roman armor and hold on till reinforcements arrive, the Roman Army will probably surrender since they probably only carried enough food to get there, planning to take the civilians food when they invaded. Maybe instead of Rio having to marry the emperor her father will end up requesting one of the emperors daughters for a bride. I guess we will find out for sure the next episode.
PastPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-11, 12:50   Link #1218
brain
house music addict

I have to give ep10 a 0/10 for finally making me admit that this show has no plot. I don't mind slice of life, but this show tried really hard to pretend to be a drama. I feel betrayed.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-11, 14:29   Link #1219
Sparvid
*hic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastPrime View Post
I think that we are more likely to see an epic battle soon. With the web site's preview ending with a closeup of Nomansland on the map it probably means that the troop movements on the eastern border were a diversion and the main Roman army is making a flanking movement thru Nomansland to attack what they think is the unguarded rear. I think that in episode 12 we will get to see what the girls can do in their spider tank. If they take out the Roman armor and hold on till reinforcements arrive, the Roman Army will probably surrender since they probably only carried enough food to get there, planning to take the civilians food when they invaded. Maybe instead of Rio having to marry the emperor her father will end up requesting one of the emperors daughters for a bride. I guess we will find out for sure the next episode.
Also, if it'll be tied back to the legend in the first episode, then will they be fighting any winged demons as well..?
Old 2010-03-11, 15:05   Link #1220
brain
house music addict

The only thing that can redeem this show is the OP finally gaining some meaning by having them in some kind of action.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
brain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, drama, music, seinen, slice of life