AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2018-04-12, 04:37   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 901 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

We're back in business! Credit goes to AP's Redon for the spoiler info:

-Chapter title is "Even if you die, don't die". Ministory introduces us to the last member of the New Giant pirates.... the female giant Gels/Gerth, who is the crew's doctor. She was the giant girl shown playing with Linlin during her earlier flashback.

-Big Mom finishes eating the cake, and returns to her original robust figure. As for the Sunny;s status after last chapter's attack..... that ship wasn't actually the Sunny at all. Rather, it was the Sun Pirates' ship!!! As it turns out, Wadatsumi made a last-second switcheroo with the ships! Interestingly, we find out that the Sun Pirates' ship was originally built by Fisher Tiger himself....

-The Sunny is able to survive underwater by staying inside of Wadatsumi's mouth. However, the huge fish-man finds escape difficult, as he's assaulted by Oven! The Sun Pirates have resolved to sacrifice themselves for Jinbei and Luffy's sake, and the former finds that he can't just stand idly by while his old companions are risking everything, so he decides to stay and fight alongside them one last time! Luffy grants him his leave, and tells him that as his captain, he'll be waiting for him at Wano. Finally, he tells him not to die before they meet again.....!!!

-Linlin is once again riding on a wave she made from a homie. This time, she's after LUFFY'S SOUL!!! Meanwhile, Morgans (the bird journalist guy) and Stussy (the CP0 agent) are riding a balloon out of Big Mom's territory. Morgans already has his next big scoop planned: The next Pirate King will be someone from the "worst generation", with Luffy naturally being counted among that group.....!!!!

Last edited by marvelB; 2018-04-13 at 07:03.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-12, 05:54   Link #2
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyrdMonger View Post
It's off topic, but does anyone else think the last member of the New Giant Warrior Pirates is Gerth?
Its a safe bet; she's the only other giant in Big Mom's flashback of a similar age not mentioned yet. Everyone else was there or was mentioned. But what's her position? I think she's the ship's doctor as its the only crucial position not yet assigned.
Well, at least one of my predictions came true; even though everyone and their dog predicted Gerth as the final member of the New Giant Pirates.

---

This chapter stings. So Pudding's been left behind; Sanji didn't get his moment. Now Jinbe is staying behind with his crew and everyone else going to Wano? Jinbe already recognizes Luffy as captain but this was supposed to be his time to join after delaying it at Fishman Island. Now his reunion is going to be another plot element for the Wano Arc? What about the Vinsmokes? Dammit, Oda!

Big Mom is rushing to Cacao Island so we might just see one last confrontation with her and the Straw Hats.
Old 2018-04-12, 10:54   Link #3
mickbis

That Morgan has an eye for talent huh?
he seem to pretty confident that Luffy will survive
( tho it pretty much confirm that he already survive )

I hope those fishman and germa survive this, they will be a great future allies for Luffy
mickbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-12, 11:00   Link #4
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I hope there's going to be a twist about the cake. Right now, the only thing it accomplished is getting Big Mom her sanity and her full strength back! Pretty much the worse thing that could happen!
Old 2018-04-12, 12:38   Link #5
Rainbowman

These complications are becoming annoying to progress. As for Luffy’s hopes for Jinbe to survive in this case, they seem like a single invisible string made by Doflamingo. Luffy should heed this cautionary advice: “Things will never go the way you want them to”.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-12, 19:47   Link #6
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickbis View Post
That Morgan has an eye for talent huh?
he seem to pretty confident that Luffy will survive
( tho it pretty much confirm that he already survive )

I hope those fishman and germa survive this, they will be a great future allies for Luffy
Not to mention they can become one of the greatest military powers to oppose the World Government in the future considering that when Germa found out about what they have done to Vegapunk.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-13, 06:52   Link #7
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Now that I've read the chapter I can make some more comments:

Regarding the fake-out from the previous chapter: everyone knew that Sunny would be fine but not in what manner. I'm quite satisfied with how this was resolved even though it was unpredictable with the info we had. Either way, the Sun Pirate's ship is gone and it was an acceptable loss considering it was made by Fisher Tiger.

The Straw Hat flag in the sea snapped off from the Sunny when Wadatsumi did the switch; the Sunny has two flags. Maybe that signifies Jinbe splitting off from the crew and he will return with it later on in Wano? I hope its a bit sooner.

Things that I noted:
  • Luffy makes it very clear that he is Jinbe's captain now. The One Piece Wiki has now classified Jinbe as the Helmsman of the Straw Hat Pirates.
  • The Sunny has now successfully escaped Cacao Island.
  • But will still take a few more hours to get out of Big Mom's territory.
  • And Big Mom is coming for Luffy's soul.
  • The Germa's fate is still unknown.
  • I don't know why but Oda has drastically reduced Sanji's on-panel time since the previous chapter. In this one he was only present for one small crowded panel after Wadatsumi spit out the Sunny. Very odd.
  • Also, Pudding, but that's tied in with Sanji.

There's guaranteed to be one last confrontation with Big Mom before the Straw Hats escape and I'm praying that's where Sanji will have his moment.
Old 2018-04-13, 06:59   Link #8
marvelB

Wow, I'm liking Morgans more now. He actually confirmed himself to be on Luffy's side, even encouraging him to escape! Geez, our rubber boy even has the journalists rooting for him!

Anyway, our heroes still aren't quite out of the woods yet. Jinbei may have chose to stay behind as the rear guard, but Linlin herself is on her way to capture Luffy's soul! Actually, I wonder if this is where we'll see Zeus come into play again.... with all the torrents that Jinbei and co. are creating, it sure would be devastating for BM's forces if a powerful thunderstorm were to hit....

BTW, speaking of souls, I think one of the ministers shown fighting was Muscato.... who was one of BM's sons who had his life force taken from him earlier this arc. On that note, I wonder how Opera's doing? Didn't he have his life force stolen, as well? And I suppose we can expect Katakuri to face a similar fate due to his loss against Luffy.....?

Oh, and Gerth is another Nami clone, I see..... eh. :\
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-13, 09:56   Link #9
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

for some reason i want jinbei to die... so it'll keep the monster trio intact
Old 2018-04-13, 10:59   Link #10
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Big Mom's new ride seems to be pretty fast, she's probably going to catch up. I, too, am hoping this is where Sanji will get to shine. This will be his last chance. I think Pudding is more likely to be the key player for their escape though.

Jinbe was really cool in this chapter. Staying behind to help his former crew probably only increased Luffy's respect for him.
Old 2018-04-13, 11:08   Link #11
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
lol pretty sure the Straw Hats had to escape.

The only time Sanji can shine is on the Kaido arc, when the mission here is to overthrow Kaido (which means defeating him or killing him)
Old 2018-04-13, 11:09   Link #12
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa1708 View Post
for some reason i want jinbei to die... so it'll keep the monster trio intact
yeah I feel bad for wishing for this as well...

I just feel that Jinbei is way too old and senior to join

Carrot is better pick
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-13, 15:42   Link #13
Ultragunner

and the arc continues on

what was the point of the cale again? Big Mom is still gonna chase adter them anyway
Old 2018-04-13, 16:06   Link #14
Jmariofan7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
Well, at least one of my predictions came true; even though everyone and their dog predicted Gerth as the final member of the New Giant Pirates.

---

This chapter stings. So Pudding's been left behind; Sanji didn't get his moment. Now Jinbe is staying behind with his crew and everyone else going to Wano? Jinbe already recognizes Luffy as captain but this was supposed to be his time to join after delaying it at Fishman Island. Now his reunion is going to be another plot element for the Wano Arc? What about the Vinsmokes? Dammit, Oda!

Big Mom is rushing to Cacao Island so we might just see one last confrontation with her and the Straw Hats.
I’m just going to drop this quote from a commenter in Mangastream:

“I think it provided a great payoff. Luffy was able to hone his Observation Haki, making him stronger once again, the SH's were able to make a big blow against a Yonkai, and gained a new powerful ally, Jinbei, they got a copy of Big Mom's road Ponygraph, and this is all on top of what the whole point of this arc was about, rescuing Sanji.

The cake succeeded in being delicious enough to stop Big Mom's rampage. It had to be truly good in order to do this, otherwise the Big Mom pirates wouldn't have bothered waiting for Pudding and her traitor sister to make the cake. It truly needed to be an amazing cake to work.

Also, Big mom was no only satisfied, she was incapacitated for a set amount of time. When she was first being updated on the situation, she was so out of it she didn't hear the update at first. This has given the strawhats more time to escape, how much, we do not know since we aren't sure just how close she is, or how long she was out. We are assuming that the panel showing her traveling and the straw hats escaping are the same time, but it could be that she is later than she realizes and will miss them.

The hearts and minds of big mom and her pirates were never going to be changed. Big Mom isnt an enemy Luffy will recruit, she is one he will eventually have to defeat. Them not changing hearts is fine since this isnt the last time we will see them. This is setting up a bigger fight in the future when they clash again. Also, they did change one or two hearts, Dogtooth for one, and Pudding for another.

Jinbei is now an official member of the SH's, he absolutely joined. He may be staying behind as one last goodbye to his former crew, however he is supposed to meet them in Wano where half the crew is already. For all we know, Luffy and co will be detoured on the way to wano by someone or something, and Jinbei willl end up beating them to Wano once he is able to escape after covering their rear.

I would rather Pedro still be alive, but his sacrifice was great, and we saw him get "killed" on screen (he was blown up), many of us just hoped it wasn't true and that he turned invisible. Also, everyone confirming him "dead" off screen, doesn't mean he is, just that they also think he is.

My guess is that Pekom's was beaten and captured and will have to face consequences with Big Mom (the wheel). I think we may see him later on missing a few body parts.

Do you know what cucked means lol. Sanji at no point was being cucked, if he was, he would have to watch someone like Luffy or Zoro fucking Nami or Robin lol. Sanji kicked ass, helped save everyone from Big Mom's meltdown and helped save Luffy when he escaped from the mirror.

As for closure with Sanji's family, They still probably do not care for him, but now they at least respect him because they understand he isn't as weak as they thought he was nor is he the failure they thought he was. The only reason they stayed to help the straw hat crew was because they found a new respect for sanji, and wanted to pay back the debt they owed him.

To sum up, the SH's saved an important friend, succeeded in knocking a Yonkai down a peg, were able to gather intel that will help them find Raftel, and grew stronger in the process.As for closure, the arc isn't over yet. Nor will the repercussions of this arc end anytime soon. In reality this is a part I of this Arc, they will go on to Wano to defeat Kadaio with Law, and then will probably be forced to face Big Mom once again, starting up part II of the Big Mom arc, and that is where you will most likely get your closure.”
Jmariofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-13, 20:00   Link #15
SilverGlavenus

After all of this build up ever since the Great War at Marine ford, Jinbei better not die. He is chill af, playful and wise at the same time and is a welcome edition to the crazy SH. Unless Oda has a death wish.
SilverGlavenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-14, 00:37   Link #16
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

There's a lot in that to unpack and assess so I'm gonna do it piece by piece:

TL;DR…
response
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Addressing the elephant in the room, the main argument at the moment for Sanji is that he has made this super-duper, awesome-tasting, out-of-this-world wedding cake (hereafter referred to as SuperCake) to satisfy Big Mom's impossible desire and succeeded in satiating her. Good on him.

...But no one ever said he was a bad cook. Nor was it ever his dream to be the best cook in the world. Sanji's dream is to find the All Blue. So how does him baking the SuperCake show growth in character or give closure to his character arc? He didn't need to prove to anyone he could cook. It would be closure if there was a massive payoff that everyone could see; specifically Judge who still hasn't acknowledged Sanji in any way. But that massive pay-off wasn't in Chapter 900; it was the opposite. Chapter 900 ended with the apparent deaths of the Straw Hats; it just doesn't work!

More importantly, One Piece isn't a cooking manga. Sanji's cooking feat just doesn't have any impact in this manga. If it were Shokugeki no Souma or Toriko, then this feat would matter. On top of that, we didn't really see Sanji actually make the cake. Sure we cut to him a few times working on it and heard a few basic points on what was in it and how it was made but we didn't actually spend time with Sanji and see him work through the steps of it; because One Piece isn't a cooking manga. The end result being that Sanji's feat has no weight behind it. Contrast that with Luffy vs Katakuri where we saw all the blows Luffy took and the exciting slugfest in Chapter 895.

Ultimately my point is that Sanji baking the SuperCake and Big Mom being satisfied doesn't even make an inch of progress in giving meaningful closure to his character arc and emotions for this entire WCI arc aka Year of Sanji. There needs to be something else; some more definite and obvious. There's only one last chance for this to happen. If they escape before Big Mom catches up, this arc and Sanji's character will have been ruined.

Last edited by OH&S; 2018-04-14 at 02:06.
OH&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-14, 12:56   Link #17
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Yami~ View Post

Carrot is better pick
Yes cause clearly the 90+ year old walking talking skeleton is the perfect example of the springtime of youth-v-;;. Why can't we have both? I mean it would be pretty foolish after Jinbe's whole speech on wanting to follow Luffy because doing so would bring true freedom to fishmen only for him to kick the bucket. Yami, Khoa, just be more honest and say you don't like the character, don't use keeping the monster trio pure or bring age as your reasoning for him not to join. Just flat out admit that you don't like him, no one will judge you here....majorly.
Old 2018-04-14, 13:04   Link #18
Gintokifan22
Gintoki fan

UGH All that teasing of Jibei of him joining only for him to get left behind again LOL I swear this is becoming a running gag or something, watch will be given a reason why he can't join in Wano arc too.

And than we have our fun loving cook who in my opinion achieved nothing this arc besides giving a reason for this arc which many people in the fandom are not thankful for LOL.

Too bad he's not in a cooking anime, than we'd appreciate his achievement in this arc.

Pairings I support : Ed x winry. Ash x Serena. Endou x Natsumi. Ginta x Dorothy fan. Luffy x Hancock. Akito x Yurika fan. Gintoki x Tysuki. Boruto X Sumire.
Gintokifan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-14, 20:03   Link #19
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Oh, and Gerth is another Nami clone, I see..... eh. :\
At first glance, I thought it was Nami on the cover page for some reason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Yami~ View Post

Carrot is better pick
I don't feel bad about it. He's stoic, boring and predictable. Frankly, I don't see why people like his character so much. Carrot would be much more fun if she joined the SHs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
and the arc continues on

what was the point of the cale again? Big Mom is still gonna chase adter them anyway
It's a little too soon to judge what will happen, but I do also think that BM going from chasing to eating the cake and then back to chasing just makes it all seem like filler.
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-14, 20:26   Link #20
BPD Renegade

There was so much emphasis on that cake, it seems weird that the only thing that happened to Big Mom was a short-lived food coma. There has to be some sort of delayed reaction when/if she catches up with the Strawhats.

Meanwhile, Franky's going to freak out when he sees the state Sunny is in. I keep internally cringing every time it takes significant damage in this arc.
BPD Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote