AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Old 2012-03-17, 03:04   Link #2141
trenton_dawn
Silt

Yeah, learning to distinguish between useful and non-useful criticism is hard, but a fundamental key to continued improvement as an artist. Sometimes you might even be able to salvage something useful from criticism intended to bring you down, but it may or may not be worth it. If it isn't then there's no reason to keep thinking about it. Anyone who was really serious about a critique would explain specifically what needed improvement and why (and preferably how to accomplish such improvement).

Anyway, I've been drowning in work recently so I haven't been able to get to tabbing at all...no eta on the other tabs yet. Pays well but eats up most of my time
trenton_dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-17, 20:49   Link #2142
BigSmokeDawg
I play guitar and stuff

Send a message via MSN to BigSmokeDawg
I recorded this VERY late at night lol. Hope you enjoy it:

Old 2012-03-17, 22:23   Link #2143
wtfisthisgame

Great cover BigSmokeDawg!

I'll need waaay more practice to get to your level っ( ≧▽≦)/
wtfisthisgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-18, 05:10   Link #2144
LightMusicBand
To the salt mines

well, i'm just glad i got to upload this video before my birthday (w/c is tomorrow btw XDD). wanna boost some of my morale.

thanks guys for your opinions on my situation. i know what is and what is not a constructive criticism. and what my "friend" said was the exact opposite of that. Hard to ignore someone when he's blatantly mocking you in your face with the songs you play. almost drove me to a point when i was about to delete all my j-music songs from my phone. but hell no to that. i mean, he's not very good at what he does either. saying i should not bother learning hammer-ons, sweep-pickings, etc. because i will not even use these in my line of music.
Spoiler for his youtube channel, if you must know:
. i did not choose this particular song to cover because of him. i chose this because i want to cover something for the month of LOVE. my goal is to surpass him, but i will do it MY WAY...

oh yeah, about the tabs. the solo part of the official tab of Singing seems weird.
the X Hammer On thing? i guess you do hammer-ons while palm-muting i think. but hey, don't ask me.

Last edited by LightMusicBand; 2012-03-19 at 21:32.
LightMusicBand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-18, 05:32   Link #2145
BigSmokeDawg
I play guitar and stuff

Oh, he's a "shredder"? They're a dime a dozen, and he's nothing special. His playing is impressive, yes, but it's nothing special.

I don't see why people don't just accept that people like other things to them. I love J-Pop stuff, yet I also listen to a lot of metal and rock so I get the best of both worlds. Work on my lead playing with the metal, work on strumming and stuff with the J-Pop.

Still, your friend is a flat out dick, just sayin'

Thanks for the kind words about my cover to, it means a lot
Old 2012-03-18, 12:08   Link #2146
deng17
Sylpheed

Send a message via Yahoo to deng17
I agree he is good but not enough to be surpassed on. You should aim higher.

This is my favorite guitarist. He's a GOD.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b2mRZW60cQ @ 2:48 - 3:37 for epic solo

For the commoners who just do covers, here's my favorite:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MPcVlh6uEs

Don't Say Lazy is one of his easiest song. He covers Demetori songs (Touhou covers).

Anyway back to your friend, I see that he's using my GO GO Maniac preset XD. I'm not really a fan of his songs. I'm more into Japanese music (not only anime). I find that Japanese music sounds cleaner and more EMOTIONAL. I'm not really that impressed if it's fast what I like is how the song will portray its emotion. So yeah songs with strong vibrato, bends, etc. those are the ones I like. Shredding is like uhhh...it's only fast but it doesn't really portray strong emotions.

For the western songs, I like the old ones. I really like the rock ones but I'm not much of a fan for the metal ones. For japanese songs, I'm more inclined to metal but I still love the rock ones. See the difference? XD

FYI, japanese music uses far more complicated techniques. I'll give you some anime-ish ones (just for the sake of argument) and let's see if those techniques are not required.

Necrofantasia (Touhou) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V10pWwOXUA8
Cagayake Girls (K-ON!) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pIjPXg3X1Y
only my railgun (To Aru Majutsu no Index) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jZX0t8B_Y8
World is Mine (Hatsune Miku) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9udrL7kLrs
Destiny Solo (Galneryus) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cfb1JhM7Qco
God Knows (Haruhi) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17px3pIZTA0
Emotions (Galneryus) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFwiGdw2ayc
No, Thank You (K-ON!) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCaFzvfZVsU
And for you LMB, LOVE (K-ON!) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3Xjl-EAkG0

Western music is great and awesome but it's not the only music in the world. It comes down to your preference on what sounds better.

Help yourself with these links. Ask him if you don't need advanced guitar techniques on those songs. These links used more than what he is playing. Japan is exceptionally good in music.

Or...you can just ignore him XD
deng17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-18, 12:48   Link #2147
BigSmokeDawg
I play guitar and stuff

To be honest, that guy's in no position to bash other people's taste in music. He covers BFMV for god's sake.

Just keep practising, you can only get better.

Just watch my Don't Say Lazy cover, and then look back to the old version I did about 4 months ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg1xcWUrQro

To think I was proud of that at one point...

Last edited by BigSmokeDawg; 2012-03-18 at 13:07.
BigSmokeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-18, 13:40   Link #2148
ChorpSaway

I guess I'll join in on this as well.

That's just dumb. Sure there's a difference in music tastes (and boy am I familiar with conflicting music choices), but that does not invalidate the ability needed to play the songs. I mean, the end of LOVE takes some "lead potential" to pull off, and you nailed it. Look at far you've come in two years; it's pretty staggering.

"...saying i should not bother learning hammer-ons, sweep-pickings, etc. because i will not even use these in my line of music"
Okay that's dumb for an entirely different and ignorant reason so I'll just leave that there.

Also, without totally bashing his music tastes (except lol BFMV and Metallica derp), you definitely get points above him for not playing along with an mp3 off a laptop, plugging in your guitar so that it doesn't sound horrible, and not having serious background noise and feedback.

So yeah. Take what he says with a grain of salt. You're doing fine, dude.
ChorpSaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-18, 13:55   Link #2149
BigSmokeDawg
I play guitar and stuff

At the end of the day, it's all about what gives you motivation to play. If you enjoy playing what you're playing, then nobody has the right to say you're wrong.

I started playing a year and a half ago - just after watching K-on. I got a load of flak from my friends for that as well. I ignored them and did my own thing, and look where I am now.

Last edited by BigSmokeDawg; 2012-03-18 at 17:00.
Old 2012-03-18, 22:06   Link #2150
LightMusicBand
To the salt mines

ok, so again thanks you guys for your opinions on this matter. (kinda kept me thinking late last night, as my conscience is bothering me about ratting my friend out). well, that goes to show how passionate you guys are with the things you do and the songs you play. though i feel kinda sorry for my friend there. but hey, just defending what i believe in. (can't really hate the guy, i have a huge debt of gratitude to that guy, and he closed down his FORMER youtube channel, because of so many negative comments, hehehe). and i can't really get away, as long as FB exists.

that's just how it goes i guess. (he doesn't even consider Galneryus as a metal band deng17, it's more of hard rock for him. and yes, that's your GO GO MANIAC PRESET there.). singers drastically distorting their voices until it sounds scary and the words are not understandable=metal to him. at least i know i got some support. that got me pumped up to keep on going to play what i should play. tnx. (pls don't tell him that i said all those things XDD). people have different tastes in music, that's what makes us all individuals. i love the emotions, the rhythm, the feeling when you hear it play on your headphones that makes you wanna play along, that's why i love doing what i do. well, back to reality. (oh yeah, we both started out learning guitars almost at the same time BigSmokeDawg, but i guess you practice way more because you're that much better than me).
p.s.: i had to stop playing those vids on the links before my face begin to melt.

ok so on other topics, i LOL-ed there at the end of the Hikari official tabs (last bar of vocals). that sounded so awkward hahaha.
PARTY AT MY HOUSE!!!

Last edited by LightMusicBand; 2012-03-18 at 22:19.
Old 2012-03-18, 22:57   Link #2151
deng17
Sylpheed

Galneryus is not metal? Is he serious? It's power METAL, neoclassic METAL. That's the metal that sounds very soothing to the ears and the lyrics are so meaningful. Yngwie Malmsteen, a guitar god is playing along this genre. This genre originated from the west.

Is he the one with the "Metal" word on his youtube account (the previous one)?

Well, he's trying to shred but it doesn't sound clean. Seriously, he's going to be bashed. On the other hand, even if I'm not good, I make sure that what I release on Youtube is something I can really play that will sound somewhat close to the original. I barely get negative comments.

Anyway if you're feeling down, look at your old vids then look at your new vids. See how much you've improved. I remember your first vids, yeah I agree it was horrible (out of tune and stuff) somewhat as horrible as my first recordings but we both fixed our problems and became better.

I also experienced getting bashed on and most are cruel criticisms but I used that to my advantage until I get it right. It's a matter of getting back up.
Old 2012-03-19, 02:52   Link #2152
BigSmokeDawg
I play guitar and stuff

Yup, you can shred at 200bpm if you want to, but if you've got a load of string noise and other notes ringing out then it will sound absolutely terrible, and you'll just get laughed at.

But yeah LMB, you have made a hell of a lot of progress. That Love cover was genuinely impressive to watch because you were playing it cleanly and in time. You ever considered upgrading your gear?
Old 2012-03-19, 03:22   Link #2153
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Just tell then electric instruments are a hundred years old and the electric guitar was invented in 1931, and Gibson goes back as far as 1935.

You only do trick stuff for shows, not for music. If you are playing in Germany in the late 1950s and early 1960s, you got to put on a show, the audiance demands a show. If you are playing locally, you need some good tunes. If you don't have the tunes, you need style to get remembered. If that doesn't work, than you need a show to be remembered. At tha point it isn't about the music...it is about the crazy stuff you do on stage.

Hell, without the words, half the HTT songs sound like they are 1960s or 1970s rock.
Old 2012-03-19, 09:14   Link #2154
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Just tell then electric instruments are a hundred years old and the electric guitar was invented in 1931, and Gibson goes back as far as 1935.

You only do trick stuff for shows, not for music. If you are playing in Germany in the late 1950s and early 1960s, you got to put on a show, the audiance demands a show. If you are playing locally, you need some good tunes. If you don't have the tunes, you need style to get remembered. If that doesn't work, than you need a show to be remembered. At tha point it isn't about the music...it is about the crazy stuff you do on stage.

Hell, without the words, half the HTT songs sound like they are 1960s or 1970s rock.
Agreed.

Also there is a difference between soloing, and speed show. Some people make the common mistake all the time.
Afternoon Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 11:50   Link #2155
deng17
Sylpheed

If it sounds like 60's or 70's, then I love that. Honestly, I like older songs. It's very soothing.

@BigSmoke
Can you tell me what's your recording setup?

I've been planning to buy Zoom G2.1nu since ages but this awesome dude gave me a green light on how awesome Zoom is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAfXWkqj-Fk

I have the worst amp and worst guitar. My current setup is "guitar directly connected to my onboard soundcard" so it's not really that good.

I have to make the most out of my money to the point I can only buy one from amp, guitar, effects processor (and analog-digital converter vice-versa). The guy in youtube says that his students own crappy guitar and he strongly recommends to use Zoom and voila it incredibly sounds good.
Old 2012-03-19, 12:31   Link #2156
BigSmokeDawg
I play guitar and stuff

My recording setup is my amp (a Peavey Vypyr 30). I just run a 3.5mm cable from the Headphone socket on the amp to my mic socket on the front of my PC and record it like any other microphone in Sony Vegas.

Also anyone able to hook me up with some songs that are like Pasadena Fwy or Hold on to your love from the K-on! OSTs? I proper dig those songs and I'd really like to listen to so more stuff like that.

Scandal are awesome by the way :V

Last edited by BigSmokeDawg; 2012-03-19 at 12:43.
Old 2012-03-19, 13:07   Link #2157
trenton_dawn
Silt

@deng17: Zoom pedals are amazing. I bought a G1XN for like 70 bucks and was blown away by how much you get for such a low price.

@BigSmokeDawg: Dead soldiers and Falling reinforced concrete from the season 1 OST. London E or Stylish mistake from the Movie OST. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Speaking of OST tracks, for those of you who've got the Movie OST, anyone catch the Beatles tribute in Artifical Candy?
trenton_dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 20:38   Link #2158
deng17
Sylpheed

@BigSmoke
That was my first recording setup but my guitar and my amp are very horrible. So that's how a good amp and guitar will sound if directly connected XD

Told you, I've been listening "Pride" over and over again XD. Oh I tried learning the song, for 1 day I got almost 90% of the lead part. Good progress, I must say. It's difficulty is very similar to K-ON! songs so this will really suit our tastes.

@trenton
Thanks. I'll definitely buy zoom g2.1nu someday after I buy my own computer. Problem is it's very cheap like $169 but the shipping fee is $54. In any case, it's cheaper to buy it outside rather than here in Philippines. I haven't really tried eBay but that price came from a top-rated seller with many positive comments. I guess that's legit enough.

Last edited by deng17; 2012-03-19 at 20:49.
Old 2012-03-19, 20:48   Link #2159
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenton_dawn View Post
@deng17: Zoom pedals are amazing. I bought a G1XN for like 70 bucks and was blown away by how much you get for such a low price.

@BigSmokeDawg: Dead soldiers and Falling reinforced concrete from the season 1 OST. London E or Stylish mistake from the Movie OST. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Speaking of OST tracks, for those of you who've got the Movie OST, anyone catch the Beatles tribute in Artifical Candy?
Whoa really? I'm away from my house right now, and I forgot my Ipod so I'll take a listen too it when I get home. Which part of the song, and what kind of tribute is it (i.e Solo, Song)? When I went though the OST I remember there was a couple songs that seemed really familiar. This is exciting!

Last edited by Afternoon Tea; 2012-03-19 at 22:16.
Afternoon Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 22:12   Link #2160
LightMusicBand
To the salt mines

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSmokeDawg View Post
But yeah LMB, you have made a hell of a lot of progress. That Love cover was genuinely impressive to watch because you were playing it cleanly and in time. You ever considered upgrading your gear?
Quote:
Originally Posted by deng17 View Post
I've been planning to buy Zoom G2.1nu since ages but this awesome dude gave me a green light on how awesome Zoom is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAfXWkqj-Fk

I have the worst amp and worst guitar. My current setup is "guitar directly connected to my onboard soundcard" so it's not really that good.

I have to make the most out of my money to the point I can only buy one from amp, guitar, effects processor (and analog-digital converter vice-versa). The guy in youtube says that his students own crappy guitar and he strongly recommends to use Zoom and voila it incredibly sounds good.
I'll join in the crappy amp club. and my guitar is starting to show signs of wear and tear, physically and electronically. it's not as clean as it used to be. one of my regrets with my present gear is it's lack of gain. i have the similar recording setup with deng17. and one of the problem with it is it's very low gain. i mean, one of my regrets in my LOVE cover was that i couldn't do the pinch harmonic at the start (which i can do even on my lousy amp and a distortion pedal). really wanted to do that part. o well.

an upgrade would be nice, but i don't know what i will prioritize. a cool amp/effects pedal or a new guitar. i got a sweet deal with this one. Dean Custom 350 Floyd from a shop that i know. less than 350 USD (already have half that money. all that i need now is an advance on my allowance and to have a rich friend with thick eyebrows who can magically slash the price of that guitar). almost made me hesitant to buy an effects pedal (more likely zoom G2.1nu as well, got my eye for that for quite a while) or an amp as well (probably a Marshal, or a Peavey amp). though i don't know the price of the pedal/amp, and i only have an idea on where i could buy it. so if you were in my shoes, what would you buy?

oh yeah, can i ask you guys a favor. WHAT HAPPENS IN THIS FORUM STAYS IN THIS FORUM. could i trust you guys on that?

Last edited by LightMusicBand; 2012-03-22 at 01:27.