AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2021-11-21, 18:10   Link #41
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 35
The arc is almost over and I find it more puzzling than ever why the movie broke every single record in existence. Before I rationalized it as it being a tremendous improvement over the TV series but now that I've watched the content... it's not. It's more of the same. As in good but nothing special.

There are plenty of movies that were very successful and that I don't like much, but usually, I can understand why they were successful. Here it's a complete mystery to me. Probably top 1 anime/manga mystery.
__________________
Rize and Kaneki
Kanon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-24, 02:31   Link #42
Guido
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Monterrey, México
Age: 41
Demon Slayer: Infinite Train Arc. Episode 4, Insult

Brand-new content that featured in this episode was the boy with tuberculosis getting saved by the spirits as he was shaken off loose from the dreamscape when Tanjiro awoke.

In addition, the animators retooled the pacing on two particular scenes:
First, more introspect exposition was highlighted upon the intruder boy once getting in touch with the warmth of Tanjiro's soul core.
Spoiler:

For this TV episode, the same course happens almost in the same manner save that the boy not only exchanges few words with Tanjiro, but a former enemy that he was encourages the demon slayer to move forward.

Second, the pacing sped-up as Tanjiro attempted to assess the nightmare world that Enmu casted him into.
Spoiler:

This TV episode delves into the heat of the moment for each family member benting their wrath on Tanjiro in the nighmare world in order for Tanjiro triggering himself back into reality with seething hatred in order to lop-off Enmu's head.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-24, 09:11   Link #43
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The arc is almost over and I find it more puzzling than ever why the movie broke every single record in existence. Before I rationalized it as it being a tremendous improvement over the TV series but now that I've watched the content... it's not. It's more of the same. As in good but nothing special.

There are plenty of movies that were very successful and that I don't like much, but usually, I can understand why they were successful. Here it's a complete mystery to me. Probably top 1 anime/manga mystery.
I am of that very same opinion. It's really nothing spectacular either animation wise or story wise, I wouldn't even consider it the best arc of Kimetsu no Yaiba so far.

At this point I can only justify its success because of how well received the original series was rather than because of how the movie itself is. But even then I don't quite understand why this is such a successful series. I mean it is good and the production quality is very high, but it's essentially one of many many anime based on a shounen manga. Is it really that much better than the rest?
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-24, 16:59   Link #44
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kobe, Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
I am of that very same opinion. It's really nothing spectacular either animation wise or story wise, I wouldn't even consider it the best arc of Kimetsu no Yaiba so far.

At this point I can only justify its success because of how well received the original series was rather than because of how the movie itself is. But even then I don't quite understand why this is such a successful series. I mean it is good and the production quality is very high, but it's essentially one of many many anime based on a shounen manga. Is it really that much better than the rest?
One of the most fascinating and puzzling mysteries - maybe the most - since I've been a fan. Why in the world did this of all series because the biggest commercial blockbuster in the history of animanga?
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-24, 23:56   Link #45
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
One of the most fascinating and puzzling mysteries - maybe the most - since I've been a fan. Why in the world did this of all series because the biggest commercial blockbuster in the history of animanga?
It's also a big mystery for me but if I have to guess, maybe audiences at the time were really in the mood for a colorful well-animated traditional Japanese/taisho-era shonen? Maybe people were already bored with superhero shounen like MHA when KnY came out? And they couldn't follow One Piece, Boruto & Dragon Ball Super since they're too far behind to start. It helps that Tanjiro is a real nice guy and Nezuko is almost-always adorable. And Jujutsu Kaisen in the following year was not able to stole its thunder either.

As for me personally, the part that I enjoy the most is when Tanjiro & co were brought to the demon slayers' HQ where they just trained & fooled around there. Strangely enough, I enjoy the SoL/comedy of KnY more than the angsty stuff (even though the action sequences are very good). But I also like how Muzan subverted my expectation a little bit by killing a handfull of 12 Kizuki members himself. In other shounens, those elite members would've been milked like the Ryodan or Akatsuki.
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-25, 02:08   Link #46
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ventura County CA
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
One of the most fascinating and puzzling mysteries - maybe the most - since I've been a fan. Why in the world did this of all series because the biggest commercial blockbuster in the history of animanga?
As William Goldman once said of Hollywood, so it goes for show biz as a whole - Nobody Knows Anything. Nobody knows what makes a hit or what makes a flop, when the right time is to come along, what the right way to present and promote yourself is. Nobody knows any of it.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-26, 13:26   Link #47
WingedAccelerator
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The arc is almost over and I find it more puzzling than ever why the movie broke every single record in existence. Before I rationalized it as it being a tremendous improvement over the TV series but now that I've watched the content... it's not. It's more of the same. As in good but nothing special.

There are plenty of movies that were very successful and that I don't like much, but usually, I can understand why they were successful. Here it's a complete mystery to me. Probably top 1 anime/manga mystery.
Then I solve the mystery for you.

It's the sequel of the highly acclaimed TV anime, adapting the next, CANON story arc of the manga in movie format. Not just a throwaway movie for a popular franchise in the shounen demographic for the sake of making one. There are plenty of those trash already and they still keep coming.

The franchise by the time of the movie coming out, specifically the manga, was on the way to obliterate One Piece's previous records, be it the individually sold best volume in a year on Oricon's chart or the total sales in a certain year by a massive margin. It's safe to say Kimetsu found nation-wide appeal.

Add in the timing of lockdown periods released left and right, the Japanese audience was craving for this movie.

Deserved or not, I rather see this hold records than idol shit or overthinker shit selling well.
WingedAccelerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-26, 15:58   Link #48
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ventura County CA
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedAccelerator View Post
Deserved or not, I rather see this hold records than idol shit or overthinker shit selling well.
I've never heard of "overthinker shit" before. How do you define that, because at first glance it sounds like something right up my alley.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-26, 19:23   Link #49
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedAccelerator View Post
Then I solve the mystery for you.

It's the sequel of the highly acclaimed TV anime, adapting the next, CANON story arc of the manga in movie format. Not just a throwaway movie for a popular franchise in the shounen demographic for the sake of making one. There are plenty of those trash already and they still keep coming.

The franchise by the time of the movie coming out, specifically the manga, was on the way to obliterate One Piece's previous records, be it the individually sold best volume in a year on Oricon's chart or the total sales in a certain year by a massive margin. It's safe to say Kimetsu found nation-wide appeal.

Add in the timing of lockdown periods released left and right, the Japanese audience was craving for this movie.

Deserved or not, I rather see this hold records than idol shit or overthinker shit selling well.
That really doesn't explain it. Why did it find nation wide appeal? I'm only judging based on the anime, but so far this show has been relatively bland. Nothing sets it apart from the crowd, outside of outstanding animation. Something the manga obviously lacks.
__________________
Rize and Kaneki
Kanon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-27, 00:45   Link #50
Guido
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Monterrey, México
Age: 41
Demon Slayer: Infinite Train Arc. Episode 5, Moving Forward

I got exhausted as I watched the fifth episode because for two reasons:
  1. There was hardly any new content featured that was already presented in the film beforehand.
  2. The film's pacing IMHO makes for the better experiencing witnessing both Inosuke and Tanjiro performing those itano circus footwork in order to slash their way through Enmu's neck.

It doesn't help the TV adaptation for the Mugen Ressha-hen chapter that:
  1. The episodes are airing on Sunday's late at night.
  2. They can be watched anywhere through streaming platforms and services.
  3. The Infinity Train film aired on Japan's TV networks a month before the second season to Demon Slayer began.

When it comes to the climax heating up again IMHO the film does a better job at executing the pacing so as the speed of the plot doesn't get dragged down.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-27, 03:40   Link #51
WingedAccelerator
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
That really doesn't explain it. Why did it find nation wide appeal? I'm only judging based on the anime, but so far this show has been relatively bland. Nothing sets it apart from the crowd, outside of outstanding animation. Something the manga obviously lacks.
It explains plenty, no need to be so rejective about it.

Set in Japan, roughly 100 years ago, but demons exist. Add in folklore, Buddhist themes, youkai inspiration, samurai swords, flashy display of abilities, distinct character designs, beloved characters, and you have the making of something Japan would love tremendously.

And I disagree. It stood out fine from the horde of it's aimed demographic even early on. I caught up to it at Chapter 75, the anime got announced in Chapter 112. But of course, standing out doesn't mean it's revolutionary in every possible aspect. This is one of the core misunderstandings of this recurring general debate, where the massive popularity should automatically mean it's one if not the best thing ever, the pinaccle of writing etc. I rather say what it decided to show and tell, including the fights, it executed it in a way where I don't feel offended and enjoyed it by a large margin. Even a big name like Togashi gave it a recommendation by Volume 4.
WingedAccelerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-27, 04:47   Link #52
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
I think it's basically the same case with SAO and, most recently, Squid Game. None of them broke new grounds and they're not the best of their own genre, but they're flashy crowd-pleasers that wrapped their shows in very appealing packages. Regardless of how much good substance contained in the package, the people just ate it up and it caught fire.

KnY TV show caught fire and that's what drove the movie all the way to the top of the box office.
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-27, 07:36   Link #53
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kobe, Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
I think it's basically the same case with SAO and, most recently, Squid Game. None of them broke new grounds and they're not the best of their own genre, but they're flashy crowd-pleasers that wrapped their shows in very appealing packages. Regardless of how much good substance contained in the package, the people just ate it up and it caught fire.

KnY TV show caught fire and that's what drove the movie all the way to the top of the box office.
Except KnY is many, many times the volume of hit SAO was. The element of this that raises it to true Sphinx-like stature is that Kimetsu isn't just a monster hit - it's the biggest in the history of anime and manga.

Coincidentally, someone just did an exploration of this very topic...
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-27, 08:16   Link #54
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedAccelerator View Post
It explains plenty, no need to be so rejective about it.

Set in Japan, roughly 100 years ago, but demons exist. Add in folklore, Buddhist themes, youkai inspiration, samurai swords, flashy display of abilities, distinct character designs, beloved characters, and you have the making of something Japan would love tremendously.

And I disagree. It stood out fine from the horde of it's aimed demographic even early on. I caught up to it at Chapter 75, the anime got announced in Chapter 112. But of course, standing out doesn't mean it's revolutionary in every possible aspect. This is one of the core misunderstandings of this recurring general debate, where the massive popularity should automatically mean it's one if not the best thing ever, the pinaccle of writing etc. I rather say what it decided to show and tell, including the fights, it executed it in a way where I don't feel offended and enjoyed it by a large margin. Even a big name like Togashi gave it a recommendation by Volume 4.
Basically what Enzo said. Yes, what you said would explain why it would be very popular, but the biggest hit ever? That's what most of us can't really wrap our heads around. But whatever, it's not that important. I was just disappointed in the Mugen Train storyline because I expected much better given how it performed. I'll just keep my expectations in check from now on and I'll have a much better time with the next arc. I mean, I do find this show enjoyable, despite what it may sound like.
__________________
Rize and Kaneki
Kanon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-27, 08:33   Link #55
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Except KnY is many, many times the volume of hit SAO was. The element of this that raises it to true Sphinx-like stature is that Kimetsu isn't just a monster hit - it's the biggest in the history of anime and manga.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I was just disappointed in the Mugen Train storyline because I expected much better given how it performed.
I mean, James Cameron's Avatar happened in our timeline. That thing has been sitting on worldwide all-time box office throne for more than a decade. It sure as hell didn't have much in terms of narrative & characters. That movie's box office was driven by visuals, gimmick & word-of-mouth hype. So, the Mugen Train phenomenon might just be the Japanese equivalent of Avatar.
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-27, 09:55   Link #56
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
That really doesn't explain it. Why did it find nation wide appeal? I'm only judging based on the anime, but so far this show has been relatively bland. Nothing sets it apart from the crowd, outside of outstanding animation. Something the manga obviously lacks.
And as far as I could see it is below average art. Not that it really matters for the sake of making a successful manga, see One-Punch Man.
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-27, 10:19   Link #57
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kobe, Japan
I still think many are missing the main point here. We’re not talking about “a successful manga” - we’re talking about the most successful franchise in manga and anime history (over a 2-3 year period at least). That’s why all these explanations seem so inadequate.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-27, 10:28   Link #58
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I still think many are missing the main point here. We’re not talking about “a successful manga” - we’re talking about the most successful franchise in manga and anime history (over a 2-3 year period at least). That’s why all these explanations seem so inadequate.
Wasn't the manga sales boosted by the anime?

And what's inadequate about my comparison between Mugen Train & Avatar? Both movies were the top commercial Titans of their time despite plenty of flaws.
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-27, 18:05   Link #59
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
That really doesn't explain it. Why did it find nation wide appeal? I'm only judging based on the anime, but so far this show has been relatively bland. Nothing sets it apart from the crowd, outside of outstanding animation. Something the manga obviously lacks.
Having read the manga, I couldn't tell you either. There's no denying it's very good at being a shonen battle manga, but that's about it. I think BBOvenGuy's (non-)explanation is just about the most convincing.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-27, 18:56   Link #60
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I still think many are missing the main point here. We’re not talking about “a successful manga” - we’re talking about the most successful franchise in manga and anime history (over a 2-3 year period at least). That’s why all these explanations seem so inadequate.
Yeah, I'm not missing that. I wasn't trying to explain why KnY is breaking any records on sales. I was just pointing out that the art in the manga isn't even that great and then I made a general statement that good art isn't necessary for a manga to be successful (or the most successful manga apparently).

But I guess the only explanation is that there's no explanation, sometimes something just happens to have more success than it should just by virtue of a series of completely arbitrary factors.
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.