2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-02-26, 16:02   Link #441
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Which almost happened in this episode (Madoka was going to wish to help Sayaka). As I said, Homura's efforts would have simply delayed the inevitable and wouldn't have helped her mission of preventing Madoka from contracting.
Well, you will hear no disagreement from me. I think Sayaka was doomed to the darkness the moment she contracted with Kyubey.

Quote:
Aha! I was wondering when someone would suggest this. I've been thinking about this for a few episodes now...and earlier in this thread Mentar even brought up a supporting point.

Why would Homura go to an *alternate* past time, when she could just go back to her own past time if her only goal was to prevent Madoka from contracting? My theory is that the answer lies in the OP of the show, the older Madoka and the younger one. We see the older one merging into the younger one, why? What would happen if, say, Madoka from this time was able to get a hold of the powers of the Madoka from the alternate time?
Wait. You are suggesting that the current timeline Homura and Madoka are in is not the timeline that results in the future? Quantum mechanics aside (lol), I assumed that all the events that have occurred are the true events, not some alternate branch-off.

I do not think we should put any stock into the opening, something tells me Shaft was just being weird for laughs.

Quote:
No contract, incredible power (assuming Kyubey isn't lying, which so far he really hasn't), and potentially even immunity from becoming a Witch because the gem/power isn't *technically* hers. The only issue would be what price would be paid to do this, since the show has set a precedent for actions having consequences. I have a feeling that is tied to why Madoka can't remember Homura.

Sleep doesn't sound so bad right about now.
You certainly win the strange theory award. I want Madoka to find an alternate way to solve the world's problems, but I do not think Incubator will be the least bit pleased with Madoka. It fits for Madoka to become a magical girl via good instead of evil.

I would be disappointed if Madoka does make the contract with Kyubey, after holding out for a good 8 episodes.
Deconstructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-26, 16:02   Link #442
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Kyubey lied this episode. When Madoka asked him if he could turn Sayaka back to normal, he outright told her this was beyond his power. This is the first time he admits there's something he can't do. Now go back to episode 2, and then he tells the girls he can grant any wish. So, one of this two statements is a lie, that is a fact.
No, he didn't lie. He doesn't have any power of his own; the power of a wish comes from the girl herself. That's why the girl's unique magic power (self-regen) is ultimately tied to the girl. That's why he can't perform any miraculous feats by himself. But he did say that a wish can turn Sayaka back to normal.

So he hasn't lied at all. *He* can't do anything with *his* power, but he can grant a wish that makes it possible using *someone else's* power, ie, Madoka's.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-26, 16:02   Link #443
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Going lite on the review here, since I'll want to get into these points more in other threads. But suffice it to say, this plot seems to really be able to advance only due to conveniences and character stupidity.

Homura just happened to be right there to fill Kyube full of holes, so incredibly, just when Madoka was once more going to actually make a hard decision to do the right thing. That's rather convenient; Homura can't watch Madoka 24/7, and is obviously off doing other stuff, so it's just nice she's right there, eh? You know, if Homura could take out Kyube that easily, why did she have an issue in episode 1? She should have been able to take him out just as easily. Of course, that way was needed in order to attract Madoka and Sayaka into it. Sloppy writing or subtle plot?
There's a big difference between attacking a running target aware of being targeted and attacking a sitting target preoccupied with another person.

Second, killing Kyubey's body does not kill Kyubey himself. This was explicitly shown. All it did was slow him down and shut him up just long enough for Madoka to run off somewhere.

With Kyubey having an unknown number of spare bodies, Homura could have been hunting Kyubey the entire time until the end of ep1. Since she can't permanently kill Kyubey, she could have been trying to distract Kyubey from the moment she arrived in that time to when she failed and Kyubey met Madoka.

Quote:
Madoka finally gets around to asking whether a wish can return Sayaka to normal (so why hasn't she asked about bringing Mami back from the dead? Or will that remain a plot hole?) and we find out that if wishes can bring people back through time and return MG's to normal, then there isn't much they can't do.
Wait, what? Kyubey says that it's beyond his power to turn Sayaka back to normal, but Madoka might have the power to if she became a Puella Magi.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-26, 16:05   Link #444
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Kyubey lied this episode. When Madoka asked him if he could turn Sayaka back to normal, he outright told her this was beyond his power. This is the first time he admits there's something he can't do. Now go back to episode 2, and then he tells the girls he can grant any wish. So, one of this two statements is a lie, that is a fact.
That's not necessarily a lie.

You're making the assumption that he grants wishes of his own power. Perhaps that isn't the case. Perhaps he takes magical power from a girl who contracts with him, and uses her power to grant her wish, but he's only able to take that power if she agrees to contract with him.
Old 2011-02-26, 16:06   Link #445
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Going lite on the review here, since I'll want to get into these points more in other threads. But suffice it to say, this plot seems to really be able to advance only due to conveniences and character stupidity.

Homura just happened to be right there to fill Kyube full of holes, so incredibly, just when Madoka was once more going to actually make a hard decision to do the right thing. That's rather convenient; Homura can't watch Madoka 24/7, and is obviously off doing other stuff, so it's just nice she's right there, eh? You know, if Homura could take out Kyube that easily, why did she have an issue in episode 1? She should have been able to take him out just as easily. Of course, that way was needed in order to attract Madoka and Sayaka into it. Sloppy writing or subtle plot?
Said by Kyubey himself, Homura did kill him once. So while Madoka was running to where Kyubey called out to her, it apparently gave him enough time to get another body for himself to devour his old self and then to start running away from Homura while she tries to snipe him down again. Just like Shadow5YA said, Homura was probably trying to distract Kyubey long enough to not get into contact with Madoka, but that plan failed.
Old 2011-02-26, 16:09   Link #446
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
There's a big difference between attacking a running target aware of being targeted and attacking a sitting target preoccupied with another person.
She can stop time for a few seconds and shoot someone with a gun. That's not something that Kyube should be able to even dodge.

Quote:
Second, killing Kyubey's body does not kill Kyubey himself. This was explicitly shown. All it did was slow him down and shut him up just long enough for Madoka to run off somewhere.
If this is the case, why attack him at all? Homura should have known in episode one that attacking Kyube was pointless. It's not exactly speaking volumes of her intelligence in the matter.

Quote:
Wait, what? Kyubey says that it's beyond his power to turn Sayaka back to normal, but Madoka might have the power to if she became a Puella Magi.
Madoka: "So if I contract with you, I'll be able to return Sayaka's body to how it was?"
Kyube: "That would be no difficulty at all. Is that wish worth your soul to you?"

Nutbladder subs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Said by Kyubey himself, Homura did kill him once. So while Madoka was running to where Kyubey called out to her, it apparently gave him enough time to get another body for himself to devour his old self and then to start running away from Homura while she tries to snipe him down again. Just like Shadow5YA said, Homura was probably trying to distract Kyubey long enough to not get into contact with Madoka, but that plan failed.
It was an incredibly stupid plan, given what we know now. What good does killing him do, if he can keep popping up in new bodies? Given her powers, it would be no trouble for me as Homura to stop time, put a gun to Kyube's head, and shoot the moment time ends. Then wait around for the next Kyube to show up and repeat.

Regardless, considering my powers, he shouldn't be able to get away from me.

But regardless of how we spin it, this is still yet another convenient and/or stupid angle, in a long list of 'em.
Old 2011-02-26, 16:14   Link #447
Dr. Casey

I think you're being a little preemptive with claiming the series to be riddled with plot holes and driven mostly by character stupidity. There's still a third of the series remaining, there's plenty of time for all the questions you think should be answered to be answered. I wouldn't say that the dramatic tension is ruined, either; for all we know, Kyubey can reject any wishes that he doesn't want to grant (There might have been some puella magis in the past that have wished for all witches to go away, and Kyubey just lied and said 'That's beyond my power' or something), and judging by the opening song with the mahou shoujo version of Madoka crying, things very well might turn out badly for her despite whatever potential omnipotence she might have. The promise of omnipotence might be Urobochi trying to give the audience false hope for a happy ending, only to end up dashing that somehow (If not a tragic ending, then at least a bittersweet one).

I don't know, I'd just reserve judgment for now, since I think there's enough reason to. They've been answering questions more these past few episodes, so some of yours might soon follow; I think it's too early to write off Madoka as a plothole-ridden mess when there's still a considerable amount of story remaining.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-26, 16:19   Link #448
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Madoka: "So if I contract with you, I'll be able to return Sayaka's body to how it was?"
Kyube: "That would be no difficulty at all. Is that wish worth your soul to you?"

Nutbladder subs.
I wouldn't take to heart anything from a group that translates "tsundere" to "bipolar."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
I think you're being a little preemptive with claiming the series to be riddled with plot holes and driven mostly by character stupidity. There's still a third of the series remaining, there's plenty of time for all the questions you think should be answered to be answered. I wouldn't say that the dramatic tension is ruined, either; for all we know, Kyubey can reject any wishes that he doesn't want to grant (There might have been some puella magis in the past that have wished for all witches to go away, and Kyubey just lied and said 'That's beyond my power' or something), and judging by the opening song with the mahou shoujo version of Madoka crying, things very well might turn out badly for her despite whatever potential omnipotence she might have. The promise of omnipotence might be Urobochi trying to give the audience false hope for a happy ending, only to end up dashing that somehow (If not a tragic ending, then at least a bittersweet one).

I don't know, I'd just reserve judgment for now, since I think there's enough reason to. They've been answering questions more these past few episodes, so some of yours might soon follow; I think it's too early to write off Madoka as a plothole-ridden mess when there's still a considerable amount of story remaining.
Definitely have to wait until the very last second. Think about who is making this series and how things have been developing.
Old 2011-02-26, 16:20   Link #449
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post

You have a fair point, and I'm still a bit hopeful that the series comes up with a good explanation for the holes and questions, but I have to admit my faith is dwindling.

However, one thing to note is that Kyube granted Homura's wish to go back in time, after a point in which his goal must have been coming to fruition. So he most likely granted a wish that could undo his goal, considering it would have been obvious by then that Homura doesn't want Madoka to sacrifice herself and become a magical girl.
Old 2011-02-26, 16:21   Link #450
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

For all we know, they can pull a stunt like this. Kyubey lied to Madoka saying that she could even become a goddess and fix everything. Just so she can become another magical girl who can potentially become a witch when she becomes corrupted with all the things happening around her.
Old 2011-02-26, 16:24   Link #451
N1k1tung

Quote:
Homura seemed exhausted physically and morally in that scene, and that what's expected of her after chasing Sayaka and desperately trying to find Madoka in time using her magical ability to the fullest (too bad we didnt get a look at her gem at the moment, I bet it was filled with grief). Kyubey statism was already mentioned.

Quote:
And it continues to be predictable. If the majority of the audience can see where you're going from episode 2/3 onwards, then it's way too predictable. And if the audience can see it with the same information the characters can, and yet the characters don't see it... what does that say about them?
I wish you could post a link to someone guessing Kyubey was incubating grief seeds after he has put one into himself in ep 6.
Also, having a huge percent of anticipated facts for this particular show means the corresponding fanbase size and logically correct plot structure.
N1k1tung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-26, 16:25   Link #452
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
For all we know, they can pull a stunt like this. Kyubey lied to Madoka saying that she could even become a goddess and fix everything. Just so she can become another magical girl who can potentially become a witch when she becomes corrupted with all the things happening around her.
We'd have to assume Kyube wants witches. Considering he could tell the girls all about soul gems and drive them nuts and thus possibly turning them into it... he doesn't. He talks to them and instructs them safely how to fight. He warns them.

If he really wanted witches from magical girls, he could withhold so much more. Mami was in no danger of becoming a witch, and despite Kyoko's situation, she was in no danger. Hell, after her parents died, Kyube could have dropped the bomb on her and drove her to self-destructiveness... but he didn't.

To be fair, I can see how one would come to the understanding that is what he wants. At this point, I don't know what Kyube wants, though; the show has been rather light on convincing explanations. The only explanation I can come up with at the moment, is that he is simply a cog in the machine, operating as he was designed.

See the speculation thread for my VR theory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1k1tung View Post
I wish you could post a link to someone guessing Kyubey was incubating grief seeds after he has put one into himself in ep 6.
Also, having a huge percent of anticipated facts for this particular show means the corresponding fanbase size and logically correct plot structure.
People were calling Kyube creepy and the big bad quite aways back(not gonna go digging, but anyone who was here close to the start knows it). I joined the discussion after episode 3, so that's when I read the theories. And while I'm not sure exactly where it began, people were calling that MG's could become witches for a long time. If you already believed Kyube to be evil and accepted that theory, then it's not hard to come to the general point that he wants to create witches.
Old 2011-02-26, 16:36   Link #453
Shadow5YA

Quote:
She can stop time for a few seconds and shoot someone with a gun. That's not something that Kyube should be able to even dodge.
Can she stop time, or just teleport? The animation did not show any time stopping, just instantaneous weapon summoning and teleporting.

It's also difficult to have 100% accuracy trying to shoot a small moving target.

Quote:
If this is the case, why attack him at all? Homura should have known in episode one that attacking Kyube was pointless. It's not exactly speaking volumes of her intelligence in the matter.
It's not exactly pointless if her goal isn't to exterminate him. If it was, then she wouldn't have attacked again in ep8. What she can accomplish is keep Kyubey's attention and him on the run indefinitely so that he'll be too distracted to get to Madoka. She obviously failed.

In ep8, Homura shot Kyubey to shut him up and prevent up from completing the contract with Madoka. That didn't kill Kyubey, but it still provided enough time for Madoka to run off.

Quote:

Nutbladder subs.
Here is the entire conversation, verbatim from yesy and gg's subs.

Spoiler for yesy ep8 subs:

Spoiler for gg subs ep8:

Both subs establish that returning Sayaka to normal is beyond Kyubey's power but within Madoka's potential.

Last edited by Shadow5YA; 2011-02-26 at 16:53.
Old 2011-02-26, 16:38   Link #454
Seihai
スマイリウム

Quote:
Homura seemed exhausted physically and morally in that scene, and that what's expected of her after chasing Sayaka and desperately trying to find Madoka in time using her magical ability to the fullest (too bad we didnt get a look at her gem at the moment, I bet it was filled with grief). Kyubey statism was already mentioned.
I believe she didn't go after Sayaka. That would have been simply counterproductive especially regarding Kyouko who would have straight out turned into an enemy if she successfully found and killed her, and it was not part of Homura's actual purpose either. See an earlier post, Homura's part:

Quote:
About Homura: her ability wasn't supposed to get exposed. Her face when Incubator mentioned it was clearly a surprised (or baffled) one. Maybe the fact that he knows that he was killed twice also added to the surprise? It was never indicated that he got killed before. And why did he only find out about Homura's ability the second time he got killed by her?

Btw. I'm pretty sure now that she only snapped at Sayaka because she kept being naive and stupid. The subs made it clear that she continued to try help Sayaka, until she said that Madoka had nothing to do with anything. Having said that after Homura clearly brought Madoka up for a reason, I can see why Homura finally snapped.

Quote:
You're pretty quick. Yes, you got it. I don't want to save you. I just don't want Madoka to have to see you destroy yourself. [...] And if you're just going to make Madoka suffer further...
While it might hold some truth to it, those lines sounded rather sarcastic to me and could have been a lie. Hint: Sayaka called her a big, fat liar just before that. lol Also, Homura's expression reverted back from a despiced look (when she said the lines) to her normal one when Kyouko was holding her. Plus she didn't go after Sayaka again after she escaped Kyouko's grip.
[...] Her only purpose to go see Sayaka was to give the GS to her so she could clean the SG.
Also add the fact that Homura said to Madoka that Sayaka is no more or however the subs put it, so Homura didn't have a reason anymore to follow her anyway.
Old 2011-02-26, 16:39   Link #455
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
I wouldn't take to heart anything from a group that translates "tsundere" to "bipolar."
I've been watching Nutbladder since the first ep and then watching yesy later and I haven't seen anything like tsundere to bipolar. It was GG that did that for another series.

Quote:

However, one thing to note is that Kyube granted Homura's wish to go back in time, after a point in which his goal must have been coming to fruition. So he most likely granted a wish that could undo his goal, considering it would have been obvious by then that Homura doesn't want Madoka to sacrifice herself and become a magical girl.
We don't actually know what Homura's wish was yet. Maybe she went back in time on her own using a lot of magical power.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-26, 16:42   Link #456
N1k1tung

Quote:
People were calling Kyube creepy and the big bad quite aways back(not gonna go digging, but anyone who was here close to the start knows it). I joined the discussion after episode 3, so that's when I read the theories. And while I'm not sure exactly where it began, people were calling that MG's could become witches for a long time. If you already believed Kyube to be evil and accepted that theory, then it's not hard to come to the general point that he wants to create witches.
And that are the facts we knew and made us understand the happening the moment it was revealed, but not a single second before, even though indeed, almost everything possible was anticipated, but I'm fairly sure this probable conclusion (kyuubey is incubating witches, and not just increasing his food amounts) was, atleast, not very frequent. Every1 was simply saying he corrupts MGs to make witches, but what he exactly does with the witches? Creating a God to make a second Advent? Serving as the bridge for satan to ease his reign on Earth? Working for a neutral force regulating/attempting to conquer the Universe?

Quote:
I believe she didn't go after Sayaka. That would have been simply counterproductive especially regarding Kyouko who would have straight out turned into an enemy if she successfully found and killed her, and it was not part of Homura's actual purpose either
I meant this as a possibility (e.g. Homura was in an awkard situation after getting rid of Kyoko, she might have doubt her initial plan but as her charasteristic behaviour was already cracked and made public, she might as well proceed to finish the job till she senses Kyuubey approaching Madoka or smth), personally I see this as an unlikely happening and actually considered clarifing the matter, but thought it was unnecessary extra for the previous post.

Last edited by N1k1tung; 2011-02-26 at 16:49. Reason: answering Vanish question
N1k1tung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-26, 16:44   Link #457
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
Can she stop time, or just teleport? The animation did not show any time stopping, just instantaneous weapon summoning and teleporting.

It's also difficult to have 100% accuracy trying to shoot a small moving target.
Small moving target isn't a problem. I stop time, walk up to you, put a gun to your head, then pull the trigger the instant time resumes. There is no way to dodge that.

Quote:
It's not exactly pointless if her goal isn't to exterminate him. If it was, then she wouldn't have attacked again in ep8. What she can accomplish is keep Kyubey's attention and him on the run indefinitely so that he'll be too distracted to get to Madoka. She obviously failed.

In ep8, Homura shot Kyubeyto shut him up and prevent up from completing the contract with Madoka. That didn't kill Kyubey, but it still provided enough time for Madoka to run off.
Yeah, but it is ultimately pointless. Kyube will return. Homura can't keep it up indefinitely, as it requires magic. Her soul gem would go dark, and the moment Homura has to go find a witch to recharge, Kyube can approach Madoka unhindered.

As I said, it was a bad plan. Homura should know better.

Quote:
Spoiler for yesy ep8 subs:

I'll edit later with gg's edition.
Kyube still states it in terms of a wish. At best, you can probably say it might be vague, but it is clearly not ruled out. Remember, the girl's unique powers are derived from their wish, so they are linked. Kyube never uses his own power to grant wishes, so the wishes are coming from the girl's themselves. He even tells Sayaka something similar: "Your wish will definitely be granted."

At the time, we took it as Kyube granting the wish. But it could also be read as the girl's power granting her own wish.
Old 2011-02-26, 16:45   Link #458
Seihai
スマイリウム

Quote:

Kyubei said it, too, it is time manipulation. That the animation didn't show it in an obvious manner imo adds to making the audience consider other possibilities such as teleporting or high-speed. Which is good and it adds to the mystery. Remember when Kyouko caught her, she said "So when I hold you like this, you can't use that strange move anymore, eh?" Same with when she got tied up by Mami. So... nope, it's not teleporting. All signs point to time.

Homura ain't a pro ego-shooter but she does have physical talent, and with time stopped, she can just spam shoot in Kyubei's direction.
Old 2011-02-26, 16:45   Link #459
SagaraSouske

Quote:
And that are the facts we knew and made us understand the happening the moment it was revealed, but not a single second before, even though indeed, almost everything possible was anticipated, but I'm fairly sure this probable conclusion (kyuubey is incubating witches, and not just increasing his food amounts) was, atleast, not very frequent. Every1 was simply saying he corrupts MGs to make witches, but what he exactly does with the witches? Creating a God to make a second Advent? Serving as the bridge for satan to ease his reign on Earth? Working for a neutral force regulating/attempting to conquer the Universe?
Farm grief seeds. The only net gain from the whole system is grief seeds, which he eats. What will those seeds do or is incubation meant for those seeds, we will find out soon.
Old 2011-02-26, 17:00   Link #460
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanish View Post
Kyubei said it, too, it is time manipulation. That the animation didn't show it in an obvious manner imo adds to making the audience consider other possibilities such as teleporting or high-speed. Which is good and it adds to the mystery. Remember when Kyouko caught her, she said "So when I hold you like this, you can't use that strange move anymore, eh?" Same with when she got tied up by Mami. So... nope, it's not teleporting. All signs point to time.

Homura ain't a pro ego-shooter but she does have physical talent, and with time stopped, she can just spam shoot in Kyubei's direction.
Teleporting is relative to time-space.

If she can stop time, she apparently can't hold it for very long, since she teleported multiple times while chasing that truck in ep5, and time had already started again when she was pulling the pin off the grenade in ep8. I don't think its enough to stop, aim, then fire for maximum accuracy.

Besides, even Homura could kill Kyubey easily, she wouldn't want to because there's no telling where his new body will appear, and then Homura will lose track of him. It would be better to pressure him and disable his body.

Tags
madoka, mahou shoujo, puella magi, shaft, urobuchi gen, witches