3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.25%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 408. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-04-22, 13:52   Link #521
atua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
Furthermore, if QB says mankind would have likely stayed in caves without their help then exactly where did the first witch come from? If there were no previous magical girls, then that there aren't any present to turn into a grief seed and then a witch. If that's the case then what's the need for a magical girl to begin with at that point?
You're forgetting the wish-fulfilment part of the deal.
atua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 13:53   Link #522
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riga92 View Post
Gen said in one of his interviews he didn't think too hard about the mechanics of Homura's time traveling powers. This is also probably the same for the Witch system. He probably didn't think about how witches first originated, but it doesn't matter anyway because the origin of witches is not important to the story anyhow.

What I'm saying is we probably shouldn't think too hard about it
That's a bit disappointing really. I would've expected him of all people to put more thought into it.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 13:53   Link #523
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Yea, the system is almost the same as before, except the girls no longer having to worry about become witches. It's a better system overall for the Puella Magi, but for the world it doesn't change anything. The new system allows demons to continually exist as long as humanity exist. It's even implied at the ending that the demons brought an apocalypse to the world, with Homura possibly being the only magical girl left.

So yes, the new system is technically better than the old Witch system, but the Puella Magi are still fated to forever fight demons. While Madoka's wish gave the girls hope, there will still always be sorrow, hatred, and despair in the world.

Totally a bittersweet ending.
Well I suppose an ending where no one needs fight anymore is most desirable but there has to be balance in everything no?

And with that heaven Madoka made. No one will cease to exist forever. Everyone will still end up together even beyond death. So humanity will always survive in the end whether on this plane or the next. Because I sure as hell don't think Madoka would just abandon everyone else besides fallen Puella Magi. She did say she will save EVERYONE after all to the best of her ability.

So even that apocalypse. May have been inevitable but I'll still take that over a future where oblivion and despair are the only choices. And this is also why it's a better deal for the general populace as well.

And finally

Urobuchi Gen CAN write a healing anime after all........WOW

Last edited by Cosmic Eagle; 2011-04-22 at 14:11.
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 13:59   Link #524
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
You know what the funny part is:

If you really think about the logic the show brings about you have to ponder why a group of alien beings capable of granting WISHES need to farm energy from the likes of adolescent girls found on a random planet they happened upon.

Furthermore, if QB says mankind would have likely stayed in caves without their help then exactly where did the first witch come from? If there were no previous magical girls, then that there aren't any present to turn into a grief seed and then a witch. If that's the case then what's the need for a magical girl to begin with at that point?

@_@
What are you talking about? They just turned cavegirls into mahou shoujo. And if they fell into despair (say, a girl wishes for her childhood friend to get better after a hunting accident, and he does, but decides to marry some other cavegirl because she's got bigger boobs)...
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 14:04   Link #525
00Coyote

Quote:
You know what the funny part is:

If you really think about the logic the show brings about you have to ponder why a group of alien beings capable of granting WISHES need to farm energy from the likes of adolescent girls found on a random planet they happened upon.
My take on this is, while QB-ians might be sufficiently advanced aliens, they are using a force they don't/can't completely understand. I recall QB saying several times magic girls keep doing things that they find illogical. The scope and power of Homura's wish, and Madoka's wish especially, took him by surprise.

QB is incredibly smart and perceptive, but not omniscient. He probably can't predict exactly what form a wish will take, or what the consequences will be. They don't have emotions, and can't comprehend emotions, yet are farming a power that is driven entirely by emotion. They have a good idea of how to work the system, but not its full extent.

QB-ians discover a emotion-to-energy technology.
QB-ians don't have emotions, so can't use said technology, or fully grasp the extent of its power.
QB-ians find Earth, with lots and lots of emotionally charged teenage girls.
QB-ians begin to farm. suffering ensues.
QB-ians end up granting a wish that rewrites the laws of the universe. still suffering.
00Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 14:06   Link #526
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Quote:
Gen said in one of his interviews he didn't think too hard about the mechanics of Homura's time traveling powers. This is also probably the same for the Witch system. He probably didn't think about how witches first originated, but it doesn't matter anyway because the origin of witches is not important to the story anyhow.

What I'm saying is we probably shouldn't think too hard about it
Oh I know, it was just something someone else brought up on another forum that I found funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atua View Post
You're forgetting the wish-fulfilment part of the deal.
You're forgetting the contractual part of the agreement.

Witches don't exist because magical girls don't exist. What exactly is QB going to form a contract for? Making arrowheads? Brushing his fur?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
What are you talking about? They just turned cavegirls into mahou shoujo. And if they fell into despair (say, a girl wishes for her childhood friend to get better after a hunting accident, and he does, but decides to marry some other cavegirl because she's got bigger boobs)...
Maybe they could wish for the ability to shave?

TRULYASTEPTOTHEFUTUREFORSOCIETY

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Master Chibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 14:07   Link #527
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
@Kaijo: rofl what.

Comparing Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha is about as nonsensical as comparing Neon Genesis Evangelion with Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

Apples and oranges, for serious. They couldn't possibly be more opposite!

Madoka isn't perfect--hell, no story is perfect, else we'd only read it and never read any others. It's not even what I'd call a "perfect 10" in that it's a wonderful story. It's a really good story. It was really entertaining. And it was really unique compared to the loads of bullshit loserguy+harem and siscon-fetish shows that make up 99% of all anime being released right now.

It's definitely good. Sure, there are plot holes. Sure, you have to wonder how the Incubators' created the entire MG/W system to begin with. But your gripe about Mami is not valid. After Mami's death, Madoka was horrified and didn't want to make a wish or become contracted. She was grief-stricken. She wasn't going to think like you do--Madoka isn't a reader, she's a character and she doesn't have the same knowledge you do.

You can't expect the protagonist of a story to have meta-knowledge of the plot!
Old 2011-04-22, 14:09   Link #528
Riga92
The Spear of Destiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Well I suppose an ending where no one needs fight anymore is most desirable but there has to be balance in everything no?

And with that heaven Madoka made. No one will cease to exist forever. Evryone will still end up together even beyond death. So humanity will always survive in the end whether on this plane or the next.

So even that apocalypse. May have been inevitable but I'll still take that over a future where oblivion and despair are the only choices. And this is also why it's a better deal for the general populace as well.
I don't disagree with the fact that Madoka's wish overall was for the better. I was just stating how Madoka's wish doesn't affect the fact that there are still monsters in the world and that the Puella Magi are still fated to be protectors of humanity for the rest of time. In fact, a truly happy ending where no one has to fight anymore is probably impossible, because it has been stated that curses will always exist in the world. As long as there are curses, there are monsters, and as long as there are monsters, there are magical girls.
Old 2011-04-22, 14:12   Link #529
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
I don't disagree with the fact that Madoka's wish overall was for the better. I was just stating how Madoka's wish doesn't affect the fact that there are still monsters in the world and that the Puella Magi are still fated to be protectors of humanity for the rest of time. In fact, a truly happy ending where no one has to fight anymore is probably impossible, because it has been stated that curses will always exist in the world. As long as there are curses, there are monsters, and as long as there are monsters, there are magical girls.
Can't have everything your way now no....

And within that constraint, this arrangement is probaly for the best of everyone that can be done.

Also....without the struggle of the good fight.....there probably would be less meaning, know what I mean?
Old 2011-04-22, 14:14   Link #530
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
You know, you should have shown them ep4 before answering if she was going to wish her back to life. The results might have been more interesting.
What makes you think I didn't? True, there were some who really didn't watch it, but their words were mirrored by those I did get to watch. Nearly everyone who I got to watch it, asked me almost the same question: "Why doesn't she just wish Mami back?"

It's a valid question, and no amount of handwaving will make it go away, sorry.

Quote:
I said it before and I'll say it again, ep4 neatly overrode "could she?" with "she won't." You refuse to accept that, your choice. But I'll bring it up every time you bring this up.
Your own personal hypothesis and worldview has it this way, but regardless of what you may think, it wasn't brought up in the show itself. And you refuse to accept that. Whether or not she actually tries to wish Mami back is almost irrelevant; it should have been something on her mind.

Quote:
As for wishing away all the witches, previously I already mentioned how Kyubei selects his contractees and how they're unlikely to make such a wish.
Sorry, you have no evidence to support such a hypothesis. In fact, since Kyube specifically approached Madoka, someone who didn't know what to wish for at all, pretty much negates this. Someone who doesn't know what to wish for, is pretty much a wild card. Indeed, given Madoka's nature, from a logical perspective, her making a wish to benefit other people would have had to be have been considered as a possibility.

Quote:
Do I have to repeat myself again? As for Madoka specifically, everyone's been asking her to wish for something that would benefit herself. That almost certainly steered her away from such a grandiose wish at the start. But should she have tried to make such a wish prior to Mami's death, Kyubei could have steered her away with a rather simple argument.
And this whole bit is negated because Sayaka did talk to them about making a wish to benefit someone other than herself. What were the responses? "Be careful about how you phrase it." They didn't attempt to talk her out of it, really, just let her know how dangerous it could be.

Quote:
After ep 9, she knows simply "wishing away all witches" isn't going to work.
And yet, that's pretty much what she does.

Look, you have some interesting conjecture, and some theories that work for you. That's great! Whatever floats your boat and allows you to rationalize things that aren't stated.

But recognize that they aren't stated, and that quite a few people have issues with the fact that very few things are stated. Reread Klash's posts again.

Yes, you could say I thought of ways it couldn't work... because I tried thinking of ways it didn't. Let me give you an example of how speculating and assuming something that isn't stated, gets you into trouble.

Remember Homura and her killings of Kyube? Remember how we initially thought she should have known trying to kill him in this timeline wouldn't work, because she did it before? We made up the explanation that, "Well, maybe episode 1 was the first time she tried to kill him, thus she wouldn't know he could respawn." This is an example of all your theories, and how you reasoned things out, despite it not being shown.

And then we are shown that she killed Kyube before and that another took his place, which put us right back into the problem of why Homura would try to kill Kyube because she knows it wouldn't work... because she tried in a previous timeline!

So, make up all the theories that you like, that allow you to connect the dots. I'm pretty sure that's what Gen is counting on, for his fans to rationalize every potential issue away so he doesn't have to attempt to explain things himself. You're welcome to rationalize, but understand not everyone is going to agree to do the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
@Kaijo: rofl what.

Comparing Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha is about as nonsensical as comparing Neon Genesis Evangelion with Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

Apples and oranges, for serious. They couldn't possibly be more opposite!
Sorry, Syn, normally I appreciate your responses, but perhaps you weren't entirely clear on what I was doing; I was comparing them on the basis of stories that rely on conveniences or stupidity to advance. That's pretty much how you can compare any two stories, no matter how different. Do they have a plot? Does it advance via convenience and stupidity?

Or do you feel that nothing can ever be compared with anything else, and thus "analogy" isn't actually a word? Would you like to attend a literature class and tell the professor than no stories can ever be compared?

Quote:
She wasn't going to think like you do--Madoka isn't a reader, she's a character and she doesn't have the same knowledge you do.

You can't expect the protagonist of a story to have meta-knowledge of the plot!
We don't need hyperbole, Syn. Of course I don't expect her to have meta-knowlege of the plot... I do expect her to add 1+1. No matter how grief stricken, your math skills don't suddenly just leave you, do they? Do you stop breathing? Do you forever shut down your brain and never have a more complex thought then eat, sleep, and poop?

Tell me, what do you think of a character that is 14 years old, has been through school... and can't add 1+1?
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 14:16   Link #531
Akashin

Quote:

Witches don't exist because magical girls don't exist. What exactly is QB going to form a contract for? Making arrowheads? Brushing his fur?
Like others have said, the Incubators went into this with next to no knowledge of what they were unleashing or what the net result would be. As such we cannot expect them to have had prior knowledge of Witches and, given that, it is probable that the first MG was a test of sorts. Then when that MG turned into a Witch and released a ton of energy they perked up and said, "Hey, so that's how we'll get our energy?" And it expanded from there.

That's my assumption anyway.
Akashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 14:16   Link #532
Master Chibi

Quote:
Madoka knew that she wasn't being rid of the monsters, but the suffering that came with becoming a magical girl. This is why the cause for the witches and the negativity surrounding it disappear.

Old 2011-04-22, 14:17   Link #533
N1k1tung

While the finale was great indeed, i was humbly awaiting the chance to decrease all anime rankings (and other enterntainment media like books, films etc) by 1 or even 2 points =\ Can't figure out yet if I'm dissapointed or not.
N1k1tung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 14:19   Link #534
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Oh I know, it was just something someone else brought up on another forum that I found funny.

Maybe they could wish for the ability to shave?

TRULYASTEPTOTHEFUTUREFORSOCIETY
What are you trying to say? That cave people didn't have desires?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 14:20   Link #535
Riga92
The Spear of Destiny

Quote:
Can't have everything your way now no....

And within that constraint, this arrangement is probaly for the best of everyone that can be done.

Also....without the struggle of the good fight.....there probably would be less meaning, know what I mean?
Exactly, this is the best ending the series can achieve. Of course a side of me wanted to see a truly happy ending but deep down I knew that was impossible. Madoka gave the world hope, and to me, that is good enough.
Old 2011-04-22, 14:22   Link #536
Master Chibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
What are you trying to say? That cave people didn't have desires?
Yes?

(I'm not really debating a serious discussion here, it was just something I found funny really)~

Old 2011-04-22, 14:27   Link #537
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Exactly, this is the best ending the series can achieve. Of course a side of me wanted to see a truly happy ending but deep down I knew that was impossible. Madoka gave the world hope, and to me, that is good enough.
I think "MADOKA SAVES" and " Om Mani Madoka Hum"

can now be treated as official blessings
Old 2011-04-22, 14:27   Link #538
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
It's interesting to consider, even though Gen didn't. Men generally rose to the top because we were generally stronger and tougher, which started in caveman days. What we wanted, we just took, including mates.

Giving magic to women probably at least attempted to restore the balance, since they could wish for something, and then have power to achieve other things.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 14:35   Link #539
SagaraSouske

I am gonna try to make some clarification on the ending based on how I interpret it.

MG System - this one is out of Madoka's control. The QB race created the system and her power can only allow her to make changes to the rules but not remove the system or their creator. Therefore, the grief created by this system will still exist, albeit no longer in the form of witches. What Madoka did was use what she could do within the confine of the system (Wishing) to change the rules so that it became better for both the MGs and the world.

Madoka's Growing Power - I have always thought that Homura have gone through countless timelines even though only 5 was shown. There are not enough time nor the need to show millions of repetitions, 5 is enough to give of an idea of 'endless' repeats. Also, in the first timeline, assuming that is the very first one, Madoka and Homura didn't not kill WN, they were defeated. Madoka will need both enough information to make a wish that will take advantage of the system's loop hole to change the rules, and the power to do so. There may have been many timelines where she had enough power to make this wish but lacking the knowledge to generate such a wish. Simply wishing for all witches to never exist will not solve the issue as something else can just replace witches and has the exact same effect. Thus Madoka have to be very specific about the wish to have it be able to change the rules of the system to eliminate the MG/Witch cycle.

Walpris Night - I believe WN is an amalgamation of all the witches just as what it was originally meant in German. Thus we see all the shapes that resembles different MGs separating from WN and protecting it. It's simply a fated day where all the witches from all over the world assemble together and fused into one giant witch and thus became extremely powerful, and can manifest without alternate dimension. All Homura's attacks do is killing parts of WN and she doesn't have the power or destructiveness to kill all of WN.

MG's Power - As QB said, MG's power are born out of their eventual fate - the fate that fall upon them when their wish backfires. The more misfortune they carry, the more power they accumulate. This energy gets released when MG turn into a Witch when their hope is crushed and turn into despair. Essentially, QB feed on energy released by creation of despair. After Madoka changed the rules, the MGs will no longer create despair through the wish system but despair exists as long as mankind and emotions exist and thus the grief and curses will continue to exist but taking a different form. In a sense, Madoka has changed the source of MG's power with her rule rewrite. They are no longer powered by their misfortune but by Madoka the Goddess instead. QB still gets to take despair and grief collected from defeating the new monsters that arises to full fill the requirement of the system but the power source of MGs have shifted and Madoka's continual eternal elimination of witches before they are born is the infinite fuel of such power. Thus, QB's system morph excess grief and despair from mankind into monsters and MGs powered my Madoka hunts them down to consolidate them into energy that feeds into QB's system. It's no longer a vicious cycle like before.

The Wish - I think Madoka was only able to make her wish after knowing how much Homura has sacrificed for her. Seeing all of Homura's past attempts, combined with what QB revealed about all of the past partnerships their race had with human girls through the time as well as the information about her power accumulated through all the time loops, give her both the resolve and knowledge to make the wish that she did. If someone else was able to be in an eternal struggle to protect her, it no longer become impossible for her to achieve - in her mind. Because the wish is still confined by the system and cannot be outside of it, she made the best possible wish out of what she has for what she wanted to do - to release MGs from the vicious witch cycle but maintain human civilization at it's currently development. She cannot remove grief and despair as that's inherent in human society but she can remove MGs from creation of such despair and be what they were originally contracted to be - to bring hope by fighting such despair. MGs under the newer system are fighting for what they believe in and have hope that will never be turned against them. The new system is much better then the old one in that the participants are now willing rather then forced/tricked and their actions have meanings and brings hope rather then increase despair.
Old 2011-04-22, 14:38   Link #540
Riga92
The Spear of Destiny

Quote:
I think "MADOKA SAVES" and " Om Mani Madoka Hum"

can now be treated as official blessings
You should check out the The Church of Madoka facebook page, people making new blessings and prayers left and right. They almost have 1,500 followers too

Tags
episode discussion, final episode thread, madoka magica