AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series

Notices

Old 2019-03-28, 11:14   Link #21
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Is there any reason given or elaborated on? I'm aware that there's a bit in German law that bans the depiction of Nazi symbols but I'm also aware that film and fiction are supposed to be exempt from that.
I’m thinking the guy who raised it probably did his research and is worried about censorship.

There is precedence after all.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-28, 19:07   Link #22
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

A serious question from someone who's never read the series - is this a nationalist military wish-fulfilment type series, or is that just how it looks from the outside?
Old 2019-03-28, 19:38   Link #23
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

I’ve managed to read it (original 11 volumes) in English from Singapore for a long time. This is merely based on my studies of the Cold War in high school/university.

Keep in mind that this was written during the last years of the Cold War and most of the bad guys portrayed are major superpowers (America, Britain and Russia), though mercenaries and private corporations are in the game for finding OOPArts.

The enemy poked at in the series is the American military and it can seen as a critique on it being the world police especially when the Vietnam War was recent when the manga started in the 1980s. It can be interpreted also as the military industrial complex being targeted since one of the enemies (which is due to translation fuckups done by VIZ to hide the manga’s anti-West storylines, is translated to be a black ops NATO R&D group before it decided to join in the OOPArt scavenging and turn them into military weapons) is a mercenary group backed by major defense companies.

There’s a review on the Honolulu Star that criticizes the mangakas for using major superpowers as a bad guy. Like I said before, think of this as when it was written in the Cold War.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island

Last edited by Yu Ominae; 2019-03-28 at 21:20.
Old 2019-03-28, 22:23   Link #24
zztop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
I┬’ve managed to read it (original 11 volumes) in English from Singapore for a long time. This is merely based on my studies of the Cold War in high school/university.

Keep in mind that this was written during the last years of the Cold War and most of the bad guys portrayed are major superpowers (America, Britain and Russia), though mercenaries and private corporations are in the game for finding OOPArts.

The enemy poked at in the series is the American military and it can seen as a critique on it being the world police especially when the Vietnam War was recent when the manga started in the 1980s. It can be interpreted also as the military industrial complex being targeted since one of the enemies (which is due to translation fuckups done by VIZ to hide the manga┬’s anti-West storylines, is translated to be a black ops NATO R&D group before it decided to join in the OOPArt scavenging and turn them into military weapons) is a mercenary group backed by major defense companies.

There┬’s a review on the Honolulu Star that criticizes the mangakas for using major superpowers as a bad guy. Like I said before, think of this as when it was written in the Cold War.
Assuming the production crew choose to update setting to modern day, can they still get away with using the anti-West storylines of the manga?

I understand the desire for source material faithfulness among manga fans is very strong (and a Japanese-viewers-first mentality) , but how relevant/risk-free is the manga's anti-West given today's geopolitical/nationalist sensitivities of today's nations?

Could the villain roles be reassigned /changed in any way that doesn't impact on the story too much?
For example, instead of evil Western nations, could it work with say, evil shadow governments/global cabals? Like Spectre of James Bond, or The Cabal of The Blacklist? Government VIPs working for their own personal ends over that of their nations?
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-28, 23:16   Link #25
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

WARNING: Going to manga spoilers. Read at your own risk.

Spoiler for Hiding most manga stuff:

Man, if I can get a Masters some day, I'll have to think about this thing as a topic.

Last edited by Yu Ominae; 2019-03-29 at 01:13.
Old 2020-02-02, 21:47   Link #26
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Regarding the lack of info regarding this.

https://twitter.com/ElementsNetwork/...69518433837056

Minagawa-sensei thinks that it's due to Netflix doing NDAs.

----

He had another tweet regarding talks of a live-action version. Not sure o how true it is. He said it on Twitter.

Old 2020-10-05, 21:10   Link #27
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Stop the press. We got updates:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...emiere/.164907

Old 2020-10-06, 01:06   Link #28
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
Fuck YESSSSS!!!!

I got the entire manga collection. I don't know if it'll be adopted to set in the Cold War or up to date with the War on Terror.
NGL I thought you wrote this series and that was your self-insert lol
Old 2020-10-06, 02:27   Link #29
iko_uwais

Really hope they don't screw this up, I still don't trust Netflix

Last edited by iko_uwais; 2020-10-06 at 06:15.
iko_uwais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-06, 05:08   Link #30
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
NGL I thought you wrote this series and that was your self-insert lol
If it counts, I do write Sprrigan fanfics, but set them in modern times instead of the Cold War.

Old 2020-10-27, 00:23   Link #31
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Debut trailer:

Old 2020-10-27, 00:40   Link #32
iko_uwais

Ugh, CG. Was hoping for traditional
iko_uwais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-27, 07:53   Link #33
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by iko_uwais View Post
Ugh, CG. Was hoping for traditional
It's Netflix. It would be more surprising if it wasn't CGI. It's pretty much the norm for their productions, with a few exceptions here and there (Great Pretender recently).
Old 2020-10-27, 11:52   Link #34
Frontier

David Productions + CG reminds me of the old JoJo Openings .
Old 2020-10-27, 16:39   Link #35
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
It's Netflix. It would be more surprising if it wasn't CGI. It's pretty much the norm for their productions, with a few exceptions here and there (Great Pretender recently).
I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. BNA, the B series, JS2020... They've done more traditional/hybrid than CGI series I would guess.
Old 2020-10-29, 18:10   Link #36
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. BNA, the B series, JS2020... They've done more traditional/hybrid than CGI series I would guess.
That's right, I guess my view is biased because if you look at the CGI anime made those past two years or so, the vast majority were produced by Netflix. It's not so much Netlix -> CGI but CGI -> Netflix, if that makes sense.