AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-03-24, 07:45   Link #101
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by articuzwolf View Post
barely reach 10k (BD+DVD) for first volume and maybe around 6-7k for volume 3

probably won't even defeat star driver sales in the end

= = =

anyway back to topic, what happened to Noitamina "11 episode/series" policy?

after GC (22 Episodes), BRS (8 Episodes) and now 12
Like I pointed out before, Wandering Son was also 12 episodes. What noitaminA did was that they edited ep10 and 11 into a single episode for ep10, and then aired ep12 as ep11. Hopefully they don't do the same here.

For GC, 22 episodes is just 11 episode x2, since it ran for two seasons. And with BRS, noitaminA aired 3 weeks the Theamae Romae before it, so it still counts as an 11 week block for the season.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-24, 08:10   Link #102
Kakkou
Tch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by articuzwolf View Post
barely reach 10k (BD+DVD) for first volume and maybe around 6-7k for volume 3

probably won't even defeat star driver sales in the end

= = =

anyway back to topic, what happened to Noitamina "11 episode/series" policy?

after GC (22 Episodes), BRS (8 Episodes) and now 12
In the end it'll still sell better than Apollon will, along with it's mixed media projects (music, novel, manga, VN) + other merch.

noitaminA is not so much 11 eps per series as it is per cour so [rest omitted cause I noticed duckroll's post]. There are a few deviations though, like Honey & Clover, Library War and Antique Bakery, for whatever reason.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-24, 10:38   Link #103
HosannaExcelsis

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Like I pointed out before, Wandering Son was also 12 episodes. What noitaminA did was that they edited ep10 and 11 into a single episode for ep10, and then aired ep12 as ep11. Hopefully they don't do the same here.
House of Five Leaves was 12 episodes and aired as such. It's not an unprecedented situation.

I'll reserve judgement on the pacing of this adaptation until I see how Watanabe intends to handle it. Without being familiar with the manga, my best guess is that its slice-of-life nature will make it possible for him to cherry-pick stories from throughout its run without the overall product feeling too disjointed. At least there's a low chance of it having the non-ending that has plagued many an adaptation.
HosannaExcelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-24, 10:41   Link #104
leokiko

No one answered me. It actually says there? That it will cover all of the manga? Or it just says it will have 12 episodes?

If it's the former, I couldn't care less about this anymore. But if not, there is still an chance for split cours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
I think you misunderstood me. I was expressing my disappointment that noitamina decided to be "stingy" (in comparison to something like GC, which was BAD) towards Watanabe and Yoko Kanno.
I see, sorry about that. I agree with you, very annoying ;/
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-24, 17:26   Link #105
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
It seems this series is going to be 12 episodes long and will cover the entire 9 volume manga. The pacing is going to be.... interesting.
Are there any other subplots found in the original manga like romance or something? I'd imagine the staff are going to solely concentrate on the jazz aspect.
Old 2012-03-24, 17:54   Link #106
leokiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
Are there any other subplots found in the original manga like romance or something? I'd imagine the staff are going to solely concentrate on the jazz aspect.
Actually, there's more romance than jazz in the manga. If they ignore the romance subpart, they are ignoring the most important part.
Old 2012-03-24, 17:56   Link #107
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I don't think this is going to be a very faithful adaption. Watanabe is going to add his own spin, flavor, and probably make it conform more to his style.

The idea of Watanabe focusing on romance also seems unlikely.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-24, 17:57   Link #108
leokiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I don't think this is going to be a very faithful adaption. Watanabe is going to add his own spin, flavor, and probably make it conform more to his style.

The idea of Watanabe focusing on romance also seems unlikely.
That seems likely, since it will be only 12 episodes. But someone said it's going to adapt all volumes in 12 episodes?

Fake info?
Old 2012-03-24, 18:46   Link #109
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
You know there's this quote that was posted earlier

Quote:
Actually this is the first time I'm doing an adaptation. When I read the manga, I thought, 'This is something I should do.' I'm making it with the feeling of having jam sessions with Kodama-sensei and leveraging the distinct flavor of the manga."
Saying " having jam sessions with Kodama-sensei " makes it sound like he might indeed add is own spin to the story.
If you're following someone's lead (= doing a straightfoward adaptation) you're not jamming with that person.
Or I'm overthinking things
Old 2012-03-24, 19:48   Link #110
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Saying " having jam sessions with Kodama-sensei " makes it sound like he might indeed add is own spin to the story.
If you're following someone's lead (= doing a straightfoward adaptation) you're not jamming with that person.
Or I'm overthinking things
Lol yeah. Well Watanabe just seems like the sort of guy that would feel it beneath him to just simply adapt someone else's story. He's going to transform it.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-24, 21:06   Link #111
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leokiko View Post
No one answered me. It actually says there? That it will cover all of the manga? Or it just says it will have 12 episodes?
Yes it actually says that it adapts all 9 volumes of the manga in 12 episodes.
Old 2012-03-24, 21:08   Link #112
leokiko

Quote:
Yes it actually says that it adapts all 9 volumes of the manga in 12 episodes.
Now that's just freaking impossible. Specially since it's not an weekly manga.
Old 2012-03-24, 21:45   Link #113
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Well, Noitamina managed to fit the nine No.6 novels into eleven episodes, and look how well that ... okay, bad example. But I still have hope for this. I expect Watanabe to do a freeform adaptation that condenses the good parts into a story that'll fit in one cour.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-24, 21:52   Link #114
Kakkou
Tch.

Thankfully Apollon has one extra episode to it's advantage, which could have potentially saved No.6 from it's yellow tornadoes and magical rainbow wasp gods.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-24, 22:08   Link #115
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

wow only 12 eps, that's disappointing.
Old 2012-03-25, 01:00   Link #116
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Not impossible, just uncommon. The Golden Age arc for Berserk ran for 11 volumes. The total runtime for the 3 movies they are making based on it is 290 minutes. At 23 minutes per episode for the average anime, that's just a little more than 12 episodes, not even enough for 13 episodes.
Old 2012-03-25, 01:05   Link #117
leokiko

Quote:
Not impossible, just uncommon. The Golden Age arc for Berserk ran for 11 volumes. The total runtime for the 3 movies they are making based on it is 290 minutes. At 23 minutes per episode for the average anime, that's just a little more than 12 episodes, not even enough for 13 episodes.
Is that so? However, for an slice-and-life series, I was expecting an decent pace at least. Berserk can be fast-paced, because it is good this way.

Oh well, I am still not gonna miss this, but it's an very disappointing news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
I expect Watanabe to do a freeform adaptation that condenses the good parts into a story that'll fit in one cour.
I expect a lot of changes, but the story will still be shit if he tries to condense everything(even only the good parts).
Old 2012-03-25, 04:18   Link #118
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Will check this out for the animated jazz performances, and to see if Watanabe can appeal to the new anime kids.
       /
      / \|
    /
winhlp32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 04:39   Link #119
sa547
*Author

Sold on the trailer alone, plus the more realistic character designs (the last time there were some realistic character body proportions, it's Marimite) and the sounds... THE SOUNDS (Kanno's gonna deliver another great OST right there).

In this case, I think it's time for me to do a bit of research.

Last edited by sa547; 2012-04-13 at 11:28.
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 08:59   Link #120
gebleg

Send a message via Yahoo to gebleg
Quote:
Originally Posted by leokiko
I expect a lot of changes, but the story will still be shit if he tries to condense everything(even only the good parts).
Well,if Watanabe can pull it off, he'll probably able to make it like Wandering Son(Houro Musuko) perhaps. Although it's going to be short but hopefully it's still going to be beautiful&engaging just like Houro Musuko, but yeah I don't know since the source material of Apollon & Houro Musuko are very different, and whether he'll put the emphasis on the romance or not, let's just see how it goes in april anyway.
gebleg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
josei, shoujo, slice of life