AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2015-08-15, 15:24   Link #1
Aenenenen

Question I Want to Try Translating Chinese and Japanese Novels! Advice? Recommendations?

Hello! I've been reading translated Chinese and Japanese novels for a while and felt that I should give back to the community. Thing is... I'm not sure where to start. I have found and summarized some Chinese and Japanese novels below but I'm unsure if a person/group is already translating them. I was wondering if you guys can guide me through the steps of translating, do I create my own site and post there, do I join a group, etc. Also! If you guys don't like the novels I found or have a better untranslated novel, can you recommend it to me?

Random Chinese Novels:

恶魔本纪 (e mo ben ji) Records of a Demon
A land of nothingness, waves are rising once more, the darkest age is once again about to arrive. Millions and millions of years later, the era of a new demon, who will be the one to start it? Gods and Devils, emptiness and chaos, darkness and light, seven passionate emperors, seven bitter emperors, six greedy demons, thirty-three illusory days. Parallel world, remnants of death, a terrifying space of emotion! A man determined to become the demon king, carrying the three treasures that have been passed down, with one foot he stepped into this cruel demonic world. A nightmarish new age of demons is about to begin!

极品女仙 (ji pin nu shen) Superior Female Immortal
A modern aged girl arrived at an unfamiliar world; she possessed the body of a person who was abandoned by their family. Inheriting the Dan Fu Sect, she stepped onto the path to becoming an immortal. This book is very frank, very two-faced, very….., YOU KNOW!

九重紫 (jiu zhong zi) Nine Shades of Purple
She has already realized that she does not have long to live. In these passing days she frequently dreams of returning to the times when she was a child, sitting under the wisteria frame swinging her two chubby legs as her bright and round nursemaid who resembled a mantou, fed her….. But she has really returned to the time of her childhood, how will life differ this time?

Random Japanese Novels:

くま クマ 熊 ベアー (kuma kuma kuma beaa) Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear
A 15-year-old girl named Yuna started playing the world’s first VRMMO. Earning over hundreds of millions worth of stocks. She does not go to school and instead just hides away at home, playing the game. Today, she is looking forward to the large-scale update that is being released along with the promotional item that is coming with it, the extremely rare cheat-like untradeable complete kuma-san equipment set. But, it is an embarrassing piece of equipment to wear even if you're by yourself in the game. Furthermore, as soon as she finished answering the promotional questionnaire, she appeared in the game wearing the kuma-san equipment in the middle of an unknown forest. Where is this? A message from god? Parallel world? As long as you're wearing the kuma-san equipment you're a cheat but as soon as you take it off you're a normal girl. This is the start of Yuna's carefree adventure. (When the protagonist levels up, the kuma equipment gets stronger. When the protagonist learns magic, the kuma equipment learns magic. Please be careful since this story contains a large amount of bears.)

死神を食べた少女 (shinigami wo tabeta shoujo) The Girl Who Ate a Death God
What will happen if you eat a death god. I also don't know. What I do know is one thing. I am hungry. Therefore we need to grab these guys by the neck and deliver it to the person in charge. We'll then definitely be able to eat delicious things. Now that we're ready, let's get started.

ドラゴンさんは友達が欲しい (doragon san ha tomodachi ga hoshii) Dragon-san Wants Some Friends
I, a lonely female college student, in order to overcome my loneliness, headed towards the welcome party for new students. On the way there I stepped on a banana peel and died but for some reason I was reincarnated as a dragon, the loneliest and strongest race. ....... Even though I wanted friends, now there's no meaning!!! This is the story of a dragon who even though she endlessly complains rouses herself for the sake of making friends.

最果てのパラディン (saihate no paradin) The Last Paladin A town ruined because of deaths. A child and three undead exist there. The three undead who used to be heroes raised the young boy, Will. Giving him skills, giving him knowledge, pouring all their love into him, the young man was raised that way. He was told about the mystery embraced by the undead, about this hidden town of death. After learning all this, this youth started to walk on the path of the paladin.

男なら一国一城の主を目指さなきゃね (otoko nara ikkoku ichijou no aruji wo mezasanakya ne) If You’re a Man then You Should Aim to Become Emperor, Right?
After a train accident, the protagonist (a 45 year old salaryman) was reincarnated into another world as an infant. For some reason he has obtained a unique skill. Verifying his powers, making the best out of this advantage, regarding this second life, the protagonist is prepared.

異世界料理道 (isekai ryouridou) Parallel World Path of Cooking
Tsurumi Asuta is a seventeen-year-old second year high schooler. He works as an apprentice cook at the cheap restaurant under his father’s management, [Tsurumi-ya]. One day, [Tsurumi-ya] caught on fire and in order to save his father’s precious Santoku knife, Asuta plunged into the sea of flames. And that is where his life ended. Before he realized it, he appeared in the midst of an unfamiliar and dense forest. As he was being attacked by a boar-like beast, a girl named Ai-Fa from the [Nation of the Forest’s Edge] rescued him, that is when he learned the place was a parallel world.

公爵令嬢の嗜み (koushaku reijou no tashinami) The Noble Young Lady’s Manners
I was reincarnated as a noble young lady but by the time my memories returned I was already heading towards the bad ending. I broke off my engagement and am currently on the route where I am confined in a church. Where is my bright and colorful future now?

Well, the titles are all tentative and the summaries might not be the most accurate but what do you guys think? Should I translate one or two of these novels? Or should I do something else? Thanks!
(By the way I'm not sure if I'm even asking this in the right forums :P)
Aenenenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-15, 18:58   Link #2
AnimeFangirl

What will happen if you eat a death god. I also don't know. What I do know is one thing. I am hungry. Therefore we need to grab these guys by the neck and deliver it to the person in charge. We'll then definitely be able to eat delicious things. Now that we're ready, let's get started.

This doesn't make any sense at all, so do this one.
The others sound too generic. How many "protagonist finds himself in another world" series does the world really need?
Old 2015-08-16, 01:08   Link #3
Aenenenen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFangirl View Post

This doesn't make any sense at all, so do this one.
The others sound too generic. How many "protagonist finds himself in another world" series does the world really need?
Hi! Thanks for your opinion! I started translating The Girl Who Ate a Death God Here's the link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing I'm only about 1/9th of the way done with it. The first chapter is pretty long (~18 pages) so I'll probably be done with the rest of the chapter tomorrow.

Even though a majority of the web novels nowadays deal with reincarnation, other worlds, etc, they're still kind of fun to read. I just wish there was more of the other types of novels.

Once again thanks a lot for replying!
Aenenenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-16, 04:08   Link #4
AnimeFangirl

Keep it up! If it weren't, you know, illegal, I'd try my hand at translating a few of them too.
Old 2015-08-22, 18:08   Link #5
TYxTxYT
コピーの雀士

For CN novels, I suggest you drop the 仙 sage novels and start with fantasies with western characteristics. This way you wouldn't have to dig through piles, inventing complicated words, and confusing your audiences with these words.

For most of your audience, the concept of a mage casting fire ball and bigger fire ball is much more clearer than a taoist sage controlling a flying sword etc.
TYxTxYT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, chinese, japanese, recommendations, translating