Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-10-05, 19:03   Link #661
Baru

Send a message via AIM to Baru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
Also, Funi IS doing a redub of Initial D, which kind also defeats the purpose of the older DVD's. In turn also opens up a chance of a redub for Higurashi. Shmion, Keiichi, and Takano I could bear with. Rena's got better as the series progressed.
Not necessarily, I believe the original dub of Initial D edited music or something and made other changes people didn't like... which is why I believe it's getting redubbed in the first place.

On the other hand Higurashi's dub is very faithful to the original and has no reason to be redubbed... which is why it hasn't been and probably never will be
Old 2009-10-07, 09:13   Link #662
AudriSampson
Ange Ushiromiya's Fangirl

Send a message via Yahoo to AudriSampson
If anyone is a member of the Funimation boards there is a fairly strong Higurashi community and most of them are part of a thread thats a signature drive to get Kai released..
Old 2009-10-07, 21:29   Link #663
Goat-Kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudriSampson View Post
If anyone is a member of the Funimation boards there is a fairly strong Higurashi community and most of them are part of a thread thats a signature drive to get Kai released..
Yay Audri! The fanbase here is actually larger than what most people think.

Also:
ChoppermanForTheWin FTW!

I really hope that Funimation at least starts releasing the half-season sets by July of next year, or maybe i'm asking too much. Heck, they haven't even licensed it yet.

Do I hear a New Years a Go-Go 2010 with Higurashi Kai for the last night?

Last edited by Goat-Kun; 2009-10-07 at 21:35. Reason: o3o
Old 2009-10-08, 11:31   Link #664
AudriSampson

Well right now Im just trying to get Funi to realize that their board members love Higurashi. I know its big here since I lurk on pratically every Higurashi and Umineko thread here daily

By the way I LOVE THE GOAT AVATAR!!!
Old 2009-10-16, 14:06   Link #665
AudriSampson

Sorry for the Double post.. Last night in a Live Blog event the Funimation Internet Rep mentioned that the When They Cry boxset has been doing fantastic in sales and is showing strong signs to lead into other things....
Old 2009-10-17, 17:05   Link #666
Solachinx
is a myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudriSampson View Post
Sorry for the Double post.. Last night in a Live Blog event the Funimation Internet Rep mentioned that the When They Cry boxset has been doing fantastic in sales and is showing strong signs to lead into other things....
Hmm, define fantastic.
Old 2009-10-18, 08:52   Link #667
AceHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solachinx View Post
Hmm, define fantastic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrGE1iriLYk
here is the video where it is mentioned (skip to 27:49)
Old 2009-10-18, 14:52   Link #668
becky-chan
i smell tasty nom noms..

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceHigh View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrGE1iriLYk
here is the video where it is mentioned (skip to 27:49)
fabulous
Kai is my favorite season,so I will be really really happy if it will be released and available for purchase in North America!!
Old 2009-10-19, 00:15   Link #669
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baru View Post
I believe the original dub of Initial D edited music or something and made other changes people didn't like... which is why I believe it's getting redubbed in the first place.

On the other hand Higurashi's dub is very faithful to the original and has no reason to be redubbed... which is why it hasn't been and probably never will be

In that Funimation Q&A video, it turns out that Initial D is getting a full redub from scratch. With this in mind, it wouldn't be out of the question for Funimation to redub Higurashi if the company feels the Geneon version to be unsatisfactory.

The speaker comments: "The last 4 or 5 shows we were at, we either sold out of When They Cry box sets or ran down...to the last 1 or 2 [copies]...Hopefully we'll get the second season, I know I'd love to see it."

This shows from a sales standpoint (Funimation's favorite kind) that it is the company's best interest to utilize the series to its fullest potential. That would be included but not limited to a redub of season 1 as well as the dub and release of season 2.

@AudriSampson: The internet rep answered that question for one AudriSonozaki. I see what you did there.
Old 2009-10-19, 02:46   Link #670
Pixelation
Dreamcatcher

I'd love it if they'd pick up Kai and redub the first season. The dub, while not totally unwatchable, was definately lacking. The fact that I still watch the fansub version after having bought the DVDs when I usually prefer to watch dubbed says something...

Hopefully the sales figures and/or some nudging from fans within the company will lead to a redub if/when they pick up Kai. I'd be more than happy to buy the set again solely for a second chance on the dub. ^^
Old 2009-10-19, 19:57   Link #671
Lemons
Jazzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante of the Inferno View Post
In that Funimation Q&A video, it turns out that Initial D is getting a full redub from scratch. With this in mind, it wouldn't be out of the question for Funimation to redub Higurashi if the company feels the Geneon version to be unsatisfactory.
That's not how it necessarily works.

Initial D had it's music edited, aswell with major complaints about the dub, and cuts. Higurashi didn't have edits, or cuts. The dub itself is a solid B effort by most of the VA's (Aside from Satoko's)

It's more than likely they'll get the second season because since the first has good sales it prompts Funi to check out, and see how well it's worth to license.

Chris Patton or Jerry Jewell could easily make a good Keiichi.
Old 2009-10-21, 15:37   Link #672
becky-chan
i smell tasty nom noms..

I don't want Higurashi to get redubbed,the dub is fine the way it is,I actually kinda like it even though it has its faults,but you cant expect it to be perfect. I'd rather Higurashi Kai than a redub anyday.
Old 2009-10-21, 22:03   Link #673
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Everyone wants Kai released, regardless. You can't blame us for aspiring to higher standards.
Old 2009-10-23, 22:10   Link #674
Ryuugu-chan
.....?

Redub? Why would it need a redub, the dub is good as it is. I could understand them redubbing the early episodes, the VAs sound different in later episodes, but we can leave it as Vocal Evolution.

Kai..So, it may come out within the next year? I doubt they would cliff hang a series, by releasing only part of the series, subbed or dubbed.
Old 2009-10-23, 22:17   Link #675
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuugu-chan View Post
Kai..So, it may come out within the next year? I doubt they would cliff hang a series, by releasing only part of the series, subbed or dubbed.
They'll probably release the 2nd season in volumes like they did with the first one, and then release the complete box-set approximately a year later.

So yeah if they do get the rights I hope it'll be soon.~
Old 2009-10-24, 13:14   Link #676
Ryuugu-chan
.....?

I meant, it would be unlikely for them to just show the first season, and not the second season be it dubbed or subbed.

But, it's been confirmed they're dubbing Kai, right?
Old 2009-10-24, 13:43   Link #677
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuugu-chan View Post
But, it's been confirmed they're dubbing Kai, right?
Not entirely no, but they did say the first season is selling very well so they're very well considering it and it's very likely they will.
Old 2009-10-24, 14:26   Link #678
Baru

Send a message via AIM to Baru
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
They'll probably release the 2nd season in volumes like they did with the first one, and then release the complete box-set approximately a year later.
So yeah if they do get the rights I hope it'll be soon.~
If FUNimation were to license Kai, I don't see it being released like this considering FUNimation is pretty much abandoning the "6 DVD singles" release pattern and has taken on 12-13 episode cour sets as their primary method of release

So if FUNimation were to release Kai, I'd expect two sets, one with episodes 1-13, and another with 14-24

This is of course if they license the series, which I hope they will someday...
Old 2009-10-24, 20:26   Link #679
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

So I got my box-set today and I'm in the midst of watching it right now.~

Gotta say the VA's don't always sound like they fit their role, but I gotta commend them on REALLY getting into it. The emotion is very noticeable.~
Old 2009-12-06, 06:06   Link #680
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

So, I was thinking of making a AMV for Higurashi, but it seems as though there might be a very high-quality source for Higurashi that I have seen every great while in other AMV's. Now, I have a DVD version of the Funimation release for Atonement chapter (the volume 6 disc), and I THOUGHT that it was the highest-quality version accessible. Today, I went onto the Funimation website to see what the quality of the streaming Higurashi looked like (they're up to ep 22). After looking at a frame-by-frame comparison, the streaming version was actually a higher quality.

The strange part about this is it seems to only affect certain areas. I didn't even notice this until Keiichi and Rena's walk home in ep 22. If you look at the grass in the streaming version, it shows individual blades of grass and cattails, but it looks like pure watercolor background in the dvd version:

Spoiler for Comparison Shot 1 (Streaming):

Spoiler for Comparison Shot 1 (Volume 6):

The strangest part seems to be that nothing on the characters themselves seems to have changed. Could this be Funimation reworking the all of the background art to be more tangible? If so, then why only enhance the background? Furthermore, what version would have these changes? I don't own the box set, but maybe only that version has the updates. If anyone can confirm that, I would appreciate it.

Last edited by Dante of the Inferno; 2009-12-06 at 06:10. Reason: The scene was in ep 22, not 21.
Closed Thread