AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-08-07, 22:56   Link #1
Jujubee

Does there exist an anime better than Gurren Lagann?

I know the thread name sounds ambiguous. Basically, Gurren Lagann is the best anime I've ever seen, hands down, it blew my mind. Ever since I watched it more than a year ago, I've been on somewhat of a quest to find an even better anime. But honestly, I don't think its possible, it would be hard for anything to top GL in my book, that would be like finding an RPG better than Xenogears. Still there's got to be something close to it. What I enjoyed most about GL was its amazing sense of scale. Everything kept getting bigger, better and more epic until it exploded in a nearly unfathomable level of awesome. That's what I really want to experience again. A show where the characters start out small time and before you know it, they're saving the world in a way that keeps you on the edge of your seat. Yeah that sounds like a garden variety plot for anything coming out of Japan but you guys know what I mean. Gurren Lagann did it best. If anyone disagrees show me what you think is better.

My Top 5 Favorite Anime/Genre

1. Gurren Lagann [Everything, encompasses every genre.]
2. Elfen Lied [Drama, Horror, Holy S***!]
3. Lucky Star [Comedy, Parody, Slice of Life]
4. Death Note [Suspense, Mystery, Psychological]
5. Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne [Eroge, Sci-Fi]
--
Honorable Mentions: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi, Azumanga Daioh, Claymore, Shuffle, Rumbling Hearts, Gantz, Soul Eater

Before anyone mentions it, I've already seen Code Geass, and am currently watching Eureka 7. Those are the most common responses I get to this subject.

Last edited by Jujubee; 2010-08-07 at 23:11.
Old 2010-08-07, 23:10   Link #2
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jujubee View Post
I know the thread name sounds ambiguous. Basically, Gurren Lagann is the best anime I've ever seen, hands down. Ever since I watched it more than a year ago, I've been on somewhat of a quest to find an even better anime. But honestly, I don't think its possible, it would be hard for anything to top GL in my book, that would be like finding an RPG better than Xenogears. Still there's got to be something close to it. What I enjoyed most about GL was its amazing sense of scale. Everything kept getting bigger, better and more epic until it exploded in a nearly unfathomable level of awesome. That's what I really want to experience again. A show where the characters start out small time and before you know it, they're saving the universe. Yeah that sounds like a garden variety plot for anything coming out of Japan but you guys know what I mean. Gurren Lagann did it best. If anyone disagrees show me what you think is better.

My Top 5 Favorite Anime/Genre

1. Gurren Lagann [Everything, encompasses every genre.]
2. Elfen Lied [Drama, Horror]
3. Lucky Star [Humor, Slice of Life]
4. Death Note [Suspense, Mystery]
5. Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne [Eroge, Sci-Fi]

Before anyone mentions it, I've already seen Code Geass, and am currently watching Eureka 7. Those are the most common responses I get to this subject.
Hahaha, no doubt Gurren Lagann is good, and it may remain your favorite anime. But it looks like you haven't even scratched the surface. Well, I suggest you look into Monster, Higurashi if you haven't seen it, Kara no Kyoukai - ( Now this encompasses more than Gurren Lagann - it has a mystery element to it too). Hmm.. Noein? Another fantastic show that many haven't seen. Then there's stuff like Moribito and Last Exile too plus many more. What I'm trying to say is saying Gurren Lagann is the best is comparing two completely different things, sure, in its genre its right up there, but if you look into the top shows of other genres ( or at least presumably top shows) you might be surprised at what you find.

I could go on and on, but not to worry, theres plenty o'good anime to be had yet.
Old 2010-08-07, 23:24   Link #3
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I think TTGL is pretty hard to match at doing what it does, but I would definitely give Needless a try. There are some obvious similarities (the Needless manga is actually older than TTGL) and on balance, though TTGL is the better show, Needless is loads of fun and has a lot of what made TTGL so great.
Old 2010-08-08, 00:06   Link #4
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - so very very much so.

Some others that you might try:

Starblazers the original epic anime. Hurry Starblazers! The Earth has only 1 year left!

Neon Genesis Evangelion the anti-Gurren Lagann. (Or actually since NGE came first, Gurren Lagann is the anti-Evangelion).

If they ever get around to animating the rest of the story:

Full Metal Panic

Haruhi Suzumiya
(which looks to be going that direction)

Chrome Shelled Regios - if the ever fix the mashup anime only ending... sigh, really disappointing that ending.

Crest of the Stars a more cerebral adventure, but if they do get around to animating the remaining light novels it should continue to move up. (The protagonists are trainees in the first season, and then move up the ranks though the next few seasons).

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-08-08, 00:07   Link #5
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
Seirei no Moribito but we might have way too different tastes since i thought TTGL was good but wouldnt rank it top10
Old 2010-08-08, 01:08   Link #6
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

You see, while you consider gurren-lagann to be the best anime ever, you use a different criteria to judge that then someone like me.

To me Neon Genesis Evangelion is the best anime of all time (Which ironically is the complete opposite of Gurren-Lagann both in message and tone).

But if you're looking for another anime to do exactly what Gurren did, and do it better, I'm going to have to say tough luck.
Old 2010-08-08, 01:33   Link #7
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

You might also enjoy Oh! Edo Rocket, since it's the same author as TTGL. It shares some of the same odd humor (and features an interesting cameo or two).
Old 2010-08-08, 03:15   Link #8
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

It might not be better to you but I think you'll enjoy Summer Wars. I think it has what you're looking for. I would also have to second Kara no Kyoukai. It gets really epic, especially in the 5th film.

Last edited by Haak; 2010-08-08 at 03:29.
Old 2010-08-08, 03:26   Link #9
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
1. GaoGaiGar
2. Higurashi
3. Azumanga Daioh
4. Monster
5. Garden of Sinners
Old 2010-08-08, 04:13   Link #10
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jujubee View Post
If anyone disagrees show me what you think is better.
Just to name a few.

Giant Robo
GaoGaiGar
Shin Mazinger Z
Mobile Fighter G Gundam
Old 2010-08-08, 06:38   Link #11
kitten320

Sadly can't suggest anything since I considered Gurren Lagann to be a crap... well I did give it 6 since it did have some nice moments but over all I couldn't wait until it would be over... Series simply looked ridiculous in my eyes and most of the time dumb...

So yeh our tastes are completely different at this point.

But if you are curious about my faves then those would be the following (in the order I had watched them):
1. Mai HiME (it has both comedy, drama and action but it is completely different from Gurren Lagann)
2. Ghost Hunt (kinda recommend it since you liked Death Note)
3. Ga-Rei Zero (since you liked Elfen Lied, this series are more gore than usual shows and has drama. Some people also compare it to Teresa's arc from Claymore)
4. Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom (deep series for me, it had explored humans psychology and had some nice action moments. A lot of conspiracy and betrayal. The show is about people who were forced to become assassins. Series are dark so humor appears really rare. You could actually say there is none of it)

But I don't think that you will like them that much....
Old 2010-08-08, 10:42   Link #12
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Given your emphasis on gradually evolving power scale (which I like myself), I'd actually recommend Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha (and its two sequels, Nanoha A's and StrikerS), as different as it is from Gurren Lagann.

Nanoha gradually gets more and more powerful, and more effective with her powers, imo.
Old 2010-08-08, 18:22   Link #13
adventcola

I don't know if this is "better" than Gurren Lagann, and it really isn't anything like it in terms of scale or building up to something huge, but for some reason Black Lagoon popped into my head as a suggestion for you.
Old 2010-08-10, 00:41   Link #14
Boduar

Hellsing OVA will top TTGL imo but it is not currently finished. It may not be quite as GAR but it has other things that IMO more than make up for it.
Old 2010-08-10, 12:54   Link #15
Gaia
ROW! ROW! FIGHT DA POWAH!
*Graphic Designer

Better than Gurren Lagann is hard, but I can name some (imo) equal anime, which have already been suggested.

- Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
- Monster
- Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (VN still way better)
- Rurouni Kenshin Tsuiokuhen & Seisouhen

These are masterpieces.
Old 2010-08-14, 14:09   Link #16
Ayrennar

As far as all Encompassing anime's go. Full metal panic and Code Geass are definate contenders in my book. Code geass being my absoulte favorite. Full metal panic though was my favorite up until recently.

I highly recommend Code Geass.

lol @ elfen lied and lucky star being on the same list. xD
Closed Thread