AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Suisei no Gargantia

Notices

Old 2013-04-19, 12:41   Link #841
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raviel View Post
Will that be the ED sequence we'll be using from now on instead of the still pictures we had for episode 2?
Can you clarify what you meant by “still pictures”? Because that ED posted by MrTerrorist is exactly what they use in Episode 2 IIRC.
Old 2013-04-19, 12:44   Link #842
Raviel

Maybe I got a different version of episode 2? The "still pictures" I'm talking about are the pictures showing some landscapes in the show, for one reason or another the ED I saw was completely different.
Raviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-19, 12:48   Link #843
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raviel View Post
Maybe I got a different version of episode 2? The "still pictures" I'm talking about are the pictures showing some landscapes in the show, for one reason or another the ED I saw was completely different.
Well, I certainly only watched the late-aired version, so maybe the ED that you saw is the early-streamed version? Can anybody else clarify this?
Old 2013-04-19, 13:43   Link #844
desrtsku
Nympholept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Well, I certainly only watched the late-aired version, so maybe the ED that you saw is the early-streamed version? Can anybody else clarify this?
Yep, the first version had a scenery slideshow as a ed, and the one that aired on TV has the windsurfing one.
Old 2013-04-19, 15:57   Link #845
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Woah, just watched the first two episodes and I love the backstory so far. No anime cheesiness/weird and silly plot elements. This is a straight up, well crafted sci-fi scenario we've been presented with. I really hope they can continue at this pace. They've set themselves up for a potentially amazing show if things keep going the way they have in the first two episodes.

I saw some interesting parallels to Battlestar Galactica in that humanity has lost contact with Earth and it has become a figure of mythology, but of course the protagonist ends up stranded on Earth rather than the story being a journey to find it. I also really like the idea of the people still inhabiting Earth being more primitive than those who left it. They'll hopefully give us a plausible explanation as to why there was a mass exodus from the planet and some people were still able to survive, but they've got plenty of time to let details like that slowly unfold.

Next episode has a lot of potential directions it could go in. I expect to see a qualified gratitude for Ledo's protective services, with ambivalence and discussion between the leaders about how dangerous their new visitor truly could be should he decide to turn on them. I'm also curious if Ledo will be dependent on his mech to converse with the natives the whole show, as that will be somewhat awkward, but not really that big of a deal either way, I suppose. As for further into the plot, I'm curious if Ledo will be left stranded on Earth for the majority of the story and if/when he'll establish contact with the Alliance once more. It could be an interesting idea for them to attempt to occupy and control Earth, but I'd assume Ledo would take a Dances with Wolves/ Avatar type role and 'go native,' which is kinda cheesy. I also don't know how they'd tie in the alien enemies shown earlier (who appear to be organic creatures capable of surviving in space - always one of my favorite sci-fi ideas).

I notice some of you are discussing time travel as a possibility. I will admit that crossed my mind during the first episode, but I hope that isn't the case. It's unnecessary for this to be a time travel scenario and I think the idea of more advanced humans 'lost in space,' so to speak, contrasting to more primitive ones still in their homeworld is a more interesting dynamic than a time traveler.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-19, 16:02   Link #846
lightbringer
M9000

He's got a sort of holo-display to read the translation of what's being said, and a choker to project Chamber's translated voice. This indicates to me that he is not going to bridge the language barrier for some time, maybe for the duration of the series.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-19, 16:30   Link #847
Helius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
I notice some of you are discussing time travel as a possibility. I will admit that crossed my mind during the first episode, but I hope that isn't the case. It's unnecessary for this to be a time travel scenario and I think the idea of more advanced humans 'lost in space,' so to speak, contrasting to more primitive ones still in their homeworld is a more interesting dynamic than a time traveler.
Honestly I don't get how people managed to arrive at the time travel theory. Is it because Ledo travelled through a wormhole, or because Earth tech is so primitive compared to Alliance tech?

All I can say is Ockham's razor. It's still too early tell one way or the other, so unless future episodes suggest otherwise, I just can't take this time travelling business seriously.
Helius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-19, 16:32   Link #848
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Well, I thought it for maybe a few minutes during the first episode when he couldn't make any contact and he noticed the language was 'ancient.' Once we got the backstory about the Earth, though, I quickly discarded the notion. I don't know why anyone would still consider it at this point, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
He's got a sort of holo-display to read the translation of what's being said, and a choker to project Chamber's translated voice. This indicates to me that he is not going to bridge the language barrier for some time, maybe for the duration of the series.
I didn't notice that. I thought he had to be basically standing next to Chamber for the translation to occur. Of course, that's pretty silly, but I wasn't sure.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-19, 17:47   Link #849
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Well, I thought it for maybe a few minutes during the first episode when he couldn't make any contact and he noticed the language was 'ancient.' Once we got the backstory about the Earth, though, I quickly discarded the notion. I don't know why anyone would still consider it at this point, either.
Well, my own theory has time travel as a component, but it's not necessary.

The key is that the marine lighting creatures are actually proto-hideauze. Time travel is one way to allow for this (but not the only one).

Since the concept is from Urubochi Gen, I expect some sort of trade-off, and the dilemma: destroy intergalactic threat, but also destroy Earth, sounds like a possibility (with the twist at the end being that our protagonist's unmitigated violence made them hostile to humans to begin with...).

I don't actually believe that to be the case, and I don't particularly want this to happen. I'm just messing around. Time travel isn't at the core of the problem; earth might just be a "breeding ground" of some sort. The core is the dilemma: the critters are important to the humans who live on earth, and dangerous to those who live in space. What to do? (Clearly, if there's no relation between those beasties and the hideauze, that's all moot anyway.)
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-19, 18:11   Link #850
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I can confirm that he does have those instruments so he doesn't need to be close to chamber to communicate with the rest.
However I believe that he will soon learn the language. It would be too much of a bother for the animators to always show him using the autotranslators.
If it was something convenient like the "babel fish" it would be a different thing, but as it is now it would just get in the way of the narrative flow.

Regarding the time travel, that was my first thought too given the gap in technology but the idea rubbed me the wrong way. If that wormhole they can create can bend time and send people to a distant past then why did they never make use of it to solve the alien problem from its roots?

It makes more sense this way. It is simply something that can bend space and Ledo simply got to a different coordinate than what was intended.

The time travel theory became unnecessary at the time Amy mentioned that they also know that in the past earth became a frozen planet making it entirely possible and plausible that Ledo and the people of the Gargantia are on the same time.
Besides I think that through astronomical observation Chamber should be able to find discrepancies with his data if a time travel occurred.

The reason Ledo cannot contact his allies and the fact that the Hideauze apparently never landed on earth could be explained with different hypothesis, but given the fact that the origin of men from earth is considered a myth I suspect that the alliance is pretty far from that part of the galaxy or they might even be in another galaxy entirely.

Frankly expecting an almost immediate answer after sending a message several parsecs away in space is something absolutely unthinkable with our current technology and something that defies the known law of physics too. You'd need something like the sub-space communications of Star Trek and we don't even know if a sub-space exists in the first place. Then again instant space travel is basically on the same level too.

Perhaps there is something that disturbs the kind of communication system that they use. Which would also explain how come they never noticed that earth changed.

There could be other more complex explanations too, but it's a bit too early to make wild theories.

Quote:
earth might just be a "breeding ground" of some sort. The core is the dilemma: the critters are important to the humans who live on earth, and dangerous to those who live in space. What to do? (Clearly, if there's no relation between those beasties and the hideauze, that's all moot anyway.)
This theory has some merit to it given the fact that the Hideauze resemble sea creatures. The problem is that this would lead to a way overused twist. "The evil critters are actually just defending themselves and the humans in the end just need to learn how to coexist with them". I've seen that way too many times.

Last edited by Jan-Poo; 2013-04-19 at 18:24.
Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-19, 19:46   Link #851
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
This theory has some merit to it given the fact that the Hideauze resemble sea creatures. The problem is that this would lead to a way overused twist. "The evil critters are actually just defending themselves and the humans in the end just need to learn how to coexist with them". I've seen that way too many times.
While I and others postulated the Sea Galaxy are a branch of Hideauze much like Earthers and Spacers are separated for a long time or are larval Hideauze I also made another theory how this war started.

It was said by both parties Earth entered an ice age. As far as Ledo known something went wrong with the sun. Now what does he not know?

The Hideauze are seen to absorb absurd amounts of energy as seen with the WMD. They are known to place their nest close to a star.

My theory is that the Hideauze tapped the energy of Sol, our sun, causing an ice age on Earth. Causing an exodus.

Galactic Alliance either while in space discovered or through historical records found out that the Hideauze was the cause of humanity's exile.

This war is one big revenge thing for what happened to Earth.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-19, 19:48   Link #852
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-19, 20:02   Link #853
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

That ED is even better than before with a proper animated sequence.
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-19, 23:49   Link #854
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Really enjoyable series so far.

As long as they do not plan to blow our mind, or blow someone's head, in episode 3
Old 2013-04-20, 02:58   Link #855
theflyingturkey
Swordy Turkey

Just caught up on this show.

I have to say, this show is easily the most engaging show of the season.

Both of the episodes so far have been very eventful, and the relaxed pacing lends itself well to the show. I love the subtleties of characterization of this show, with the crew of Gargantia arguing over what to do with their new guest. The dialogues of this show really gives the characters substance, while some of the characters clearly are more straightforward, the cautioned lines of the others make me wonder what might be going through their heads.

The characterization of Ledo himself is brilliant. He's not the simple stoic soldier that we see everywhere. Here we have a dutiful soldier will to serve, and is completely capable of displaying his emotions. He simply does not let them cloud his judgement. Even with his monologue in the first half, the later half of the episode 1 reveals that we've still got more to learn about him. It'll be interesting to see how life in Gargantia will affect him.

I also loved that this show has some wit to it. Mother's reproductive organ and excrement

Currently, plot-wise we'll be watching Ledo's complicated position and relationship with the crew of Gargantia. Which is awesome. I love a plot that's run by the characters. (Pirate invasion excluded, though someone had to show how large the gap was in terms of technological superiority.)

The show was surprisingly easy to watch (mostly because I tend not to watch slow paced shows when things are slow in my life), and kept me gripped through the whole thing.

If Gen keeps this up it'll be brilliant. Let's hope he won't use the gimmick of betraying our expectations by telling us something over the internet and writing something else. I do not call that good writing.

All in all its absolutely brilliant right now.
theflyingturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 04:00   Link #856
Shalcker
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to Shalcker
There is rather simple twist that can make lightbugs-Hideous impossible to kill on Earth... how about "Judging by sun activity, Earth should be still frozen; the bugs are the ones heating it up making it habitable".

Would fit the whole "coexistence" thing nicely too.
Shalcker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 07:51   Link #857
hellraiser85

as someone already mentioned, I have a feeling that the plot is going to turn much darker in the following episodes. I'm expecting something like "Now and Then, Here and There" in terms of contents. Looking at the characters page with the voice actors, the last 2 girls seem to be prisoners/slaves and one of them looks exactly like ledo's former companion
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeroz View Post
just so it would appear darker

Spoiler for NSFW shower scene:

I think she's one of those got that devoured in the first 10mins.
hellraiser85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 08:24   Link #858
Helius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
While I and others postulated the Sea Galaxy are a branch of Hideauze much like Earthers and Spacers are separated for a long time or are larval Hideauze I also made another theory how this war started.

It was said by both parties Earth entered an ice age. As far as Ledo known something went wrong with the sun. Now what does he not know?

The Hideauze are seen to absorb absurd amounts of energy as seen with the WMD. They are known to place their nest close to a star.

My theory is that the Hideauze tapped the energy of Sol, our sun, causing an ice age on Earth. Causing an exodus.

Galactic Alliance either while in space discovered or through historical records found out that the Hideauze was the cause of humanity's exile.

This war is one big revenge thing for what happened to Earth.
That's an interesting theory. Although we don't know how much time had passed since humanity left Earth and how long the Alliance have been fighting the Hideauze.

We also don't know why there's so little info on Earth in the Alliance records. Logically speaking, I would say a long time had passed and the history got muddled up or the Alliance may not even be the original group which left Earth and records or entire history could've been lost as a result. But it's also possible references to Earth were deleted intentionally, maybe to cover up an experiment-went-wrong which caused the ice age?

As for the lightbugs, it does make sense that there's some correlation to the Hideauze. At this stage I wouldn't think they're the same, but maybe the lightbugs hold some key to defeating the Hideauze and later on in the show we might have both the Alliance and the aliens scurrying towards Earth for a final showdown.

A possible caveat may be that using the lightbugs could make Earth uninhabitable again, so Ledo would need to make a choice between the survival of Earth/Gargantia and helping the Alliance to defeat the Hideauze.

Still, none of these hinges on the need for time travel. It's so "out there" to make any sense whatsoever (yeah, more so than your typical Urobuchi fair).
Helius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 12:20   Link #859
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraiser85 View Post
as someone already mentioned, I have a feeling that the plot is going to turn much darker in the following episodes. I'm expecting something like "Now and Then, Here and There" in terms of contents. Looking at the characters page with the voice actors, the last 2 girls seem to be prisoners/slaves and one of them looks exactly like ledo's former companion
Huh? Explain a bit more, since the only other character we know from Galactic's Alliance besides Ledo is Kugel.

BTW, it's airing today right?
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 13:04   Link #860
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Huh? Explain a bit more, since the only other character we know from Galactic's Alliance besides Ledo is Kugel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeroz View Post
just so it would appear darker

Spoiler for NSFW shower scene:

I think she's one of those got that devoured in the first 10mins.
Images
characters
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

He thinks its the same girl but I agree with the above it was the comrade Ledo tried to save but couldn't.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, harem, mecha, post-apocalyptic, sci-fi, urobuchi