Notices

Old 2010-09-18, 22:25   Link #101
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry_Lover View Post
Well, honestly I don't see what the problem is.
Spoiler for HF:
Ultimately, the fics themselves will be totally different, so I don't see the issue with them having similar eventual outcomes.
Eh, I guess maybe I'm over thinking it, then. Thanks!
Old 2010-09-18, 22:29   Link #102
Cherry_Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
Eh, I guess maybe I'm over thinking it, then. Thanks!
Yeah, pretty much.

There's no reason why you have to do both of them, of course, but if you have ideas for both and want to continue both, the fact that they will have similar endings shouldn't stop you.
Cherry_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-18, 22:32   Link #103
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
Yeah, pretty much.

There's no reason why you have to do both of them, of course, but if you have ideas for both and want to continue both, the fact that they will have similar endings shouldn't stop you.
Well, yeah, in the end it comes down to me wanting to continue both. I like the ideas behind both concepts, honestly, and I feel that they both expand on different things. Though to be honest, I do admit I favor Into The Rain a bit more because Rin is far too much fun to write, plus some fun little ways I'm going to shake things up come the next chapter.
Old 2010-09-18, 22:35   Link #104
Cherry_Lover

Well, they're both very interesting concepts. The first one, in particular, is something that I kind of wondered about. The second is very sweet, and Rin developing a genuine relationship with Sakura earlier on will certainly shake things up, since the relative lack of such a relationship (and, indeed, Rin's repeated assertions that she doesn't care, despite the obvious evidence to the contrary) is a large part of what catalyses Sakura's actions later on in the route.
Old 2010-09-20, 14:25   Link #105
Nerroth
NePoi!

In case anyone here is interested, there's a Type-Moon fanfiction contest in the unlimitedbladeworks; a discussion thread for it is over on Beast's Lair.

If you enter, good luck!
Old 2010-09-20, 19:07   Link #106
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Moczo
Ugh, the only FSN fanfic I have in mind is horribly stalled around the first three chapters, so I think I'm gonna have to sit this one out.
Moczo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-20, 19:08   Link #107
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

I think I'll sit this one out too, sorry. Both of my current FSN fics are shaping up to be at least novel length, if not a few chapters short, and I don't have any ideas for a one-shot.
Old 2010-09-20, 19:29   Link #108
GDB

Hrmm, it's got quite a while for the deadline. I might have to crank something out during a down period and give it a shot. Need to replay FSN first though lol.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-21, 00:09   Link #109
Nerroth
NePoi!

Just bear in mind it doesn't have to be F/SN-oriented; the rest of the Nasuverse is on the table (subject to the rules listed here).
Old 2010-09-21, 07:08   Link #110
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Moczo
Yeah, but if I can't even make any progress in the one Type-Moon idea I actually have, asking me to come up with a whole new one is even worse ...
Moczo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-21, 10:32   Link #111
GDB

Never read/played/watched any other Nasuverse series, so it kind of has to be FSN for me. =P
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-21, 10:46   Link #112
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Someone should do an Unlimited Blade Work fic for the contest then.

Spoiler for Might as well play a tad.:

Disregard that. Not a very good fic writer.
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-21, 12:35   Link #113
Cherry_Lover

Quote:
I think I'll sit this one out too, sorry. Both of my current FSN fics are shaping up to be at least novel length, if not a few chapters short, and I don't have any ideas for a one-shot.
Actually, I'm pretty sure that "novel length" isn't a problem. However, in theory at least, the fact that you've posted it here would make it inelegible (of course, that would only happen if F1 were to happen to come across this site, or someone were to tell him...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post
Someone should do an Unlimited Blade Work fic for the contest then.
I'm sure that someone will. Or, more likely, many many people will, because that seems to be the most common setting for fanfics written by the more knowledgeable writers (as opposed to the anime fans, who tend to write bad and horrifically non-canon Saber x Shirou fics that are set in the anime continuity...).

I have an idea for a potential entry (which, surprisingly enough, will involve Sakura heavily...).
Old 2010-09-21, 18:49   Link #114
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
Actually, I'm pretty sure that "novel length" isn't a problem. However, in theory at least, the fact that you've posted it here would make it inelegible (of course, that would only happen if F1 were to happen to come across this site, or someone were to tell him...).
Eh, well, I wasn't writing it for a contest anyway, and chapter 3 is the make or break moment of the story, so I'm glad it wouldn't be considered.

Quote:
as opposed to the anime fans, who tend to write bad and horrifically non-canon Saber x Shirou fics that are set in the anime continuity...
Gonna respectfully disagree with you there, CL. There are certainly bad anime-based fanfics, but there are a few good ones if you look for them; my personal favorite on FF.net is Fate: Spiral Time, which functions as a sequel to the anime. The author's never played the game, which he admits, and he does some things that go against the established Nasuverse rules, but it's a hell of a fic. Not to mention, the Saber/Shirou romance is handled from a very different, interesting angle.
Old 2010-09-21, 20:25   Link #115
Cherry_Lover

Quote:
Gonna respectfully disagree with you there, CL. There are certainly bad anime-based fanfics, but there are a few good ones if you look for them;
I never said that there weren't. There are, however, a hell of a lot of bad ones. Of the anime-based ones, I can only think of a couple that I thought were reasonable, one of which is Fate/Spiral Time, and the other one I have actually been helping the author to get the canon right in (it's died somewhat now, though).

Quote:
my personal favorite on FF.net is Fate: Spiral Time, which functions as a sequel to the anime. The author's never played the game, which he admits, and he does some things that go against the established Nasuverse rules, but it's a hell of a fic. Not to mention, the Saber/Shirou romance is handled from a very different, interesting angle.
Well, canonically speaking, it is pretty bad, but nevertheless I would agree with you that it's a very good fic. Not least because, for all the canon inaccuracies in there, he manages to get the characters substantially right.
Old 2010-09-21, 20:41   Link #116
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
Well, canonically speaking, it is pretty bad, but nevertheless I would agree with you that it's a very good fic. Not least because, for all the canon inaccuracies in there, he manages to get the characters substantially right.
I was very impressed at how well he nailed down Sakura's character especially, given how she isn't really developed in the anime at all, and how he developed her relationship with Rin. His fic was probably one of the first I read that honestly endeared me to her before I started to play the game.

Another anime-based fanfic I liked was also Saber/Shirou... but I think it might be dead now. I can't recall the title off the top of my head, but I liked it a lot. It was very good.
Old 2010-09-21, 20:55   Link #117
Cherry_Lover

Quote:
I was very impressed at how well he nailed down Sakura's character especially, given how she isn't really developed in the anime at all, and how he developed her relationship with Rin. His fic was probably one of the first I read that honestly endeared me to her before I started to play the game.
Yeah, I would agree with you on that. He seems to have gotten her character largely right. I especially liked the "angel" comparison, comparing her, a pure, white angel of peace, with Rin, who is a fiery red angel of justice.

Quote:
Another anime-based fanfic I liked was also Saber/Shirou... but I think it might be dead now.
You know, that really doesn't narrow it down. About 85% of the fics on FF.net are anime-based, and about 90% of those are Shirou x Saber.

Quote:
I can't recall the title off the top of my head, but I liked it a lot. It was very good.
Anything more descriptive that you can say about it? Like anything you can remember about the plot?
Old 2010-09-21, 21:03   Link #118
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
Anything more descriptive that you can say about it? Like anything you can remember about the plot?
Hmmm.... off the top of my head, I remember it was a plot where Shirou was sent back to Saber's time when she was king and met up with her knights. He performed some version of Unlimited Blade Works to fight a dragon.
Old 2010-09-21, 21:07   Link #119
Cherry_Lover

Quote:
Hmmm.... off the top of my head, I remember it was a plot where Shirou was sent back to Saber's time when she was king and met up with her knights. He performed some version of Unlimited Blade Works to fight a dragon.
Hmm, I don't think I've read that one. In all honesty, that seems like the sort of story I would just skip straight over, though, because it doesn't seem likely that Sakura would get anything more than a mention, and the plot doesn't really interest me much. I do remember a Saber x Rin fic that worked on a similar premise, though, which I did actually like quite a bit.
Old 2010-09-22, 01:10   Link #120
Nerroth
NePoi!

For my own part, one of the two longer-running stories I try to write is in a post-UBW-Good* setting; while the other sort of takes aspects of the anime and adds in a few ideas from another franchise into the mix.

*Of course, that has no bearing on why I want the Good ending as a bonus feature on the UBW movie disc... ahem.

Tags
character, discussion, fanfiction