Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Science & Technology

Notices

Old 2015-08-14, 13:33   Link #261
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
Well, he did say he had tried downgrading,
I know, it just wasn't clear to me whether the downgrade was done or the Windows 10 problem was straightened out.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-14, 13:47   Link #262
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Either way, were the black screens caused by the video driver? I seem to have had several of these (for half a second or so, but they were annoying, since I never experienced them on Windows 7) while I still had W10, even after installing the latest official Nvidia GeForce drivers for W10 x64.
I've heard about this issue many times and I'm confused as to why I don't have it myself.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-14, 14:35   Link #263
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Why not? Or are you back to Windows 7?
Quote:
Well, he did say he had tried downgrading, but I dunno whether you can safely rollback to W10 if a BSOD is encountered midway through the downgrade process, or if the OS goes "damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead" and loads whatever it managed to copy-paste from the W7 backup directory before the manure hit the ventilation.

Either way, were the black screens caused by the video driver? I seem to have had several of these (for half a second or so, but they were annoying, since I never experienced them on Windows 7) while I still had W10, even after installing the latest official Nvidia GeForce drivers for W10 x64.
Quote:
I know, it just wasn't clear to me whether the downgrade was done or the Windows 10 problem was straightened out.
No, I succeeded in straightening out my issues on Windows 10, though I'm not sure how. Half a dozen failed restarts, and I finally got into Safe Mode With Networking at the desktop, only for no internet connection to be found. But after restarting that I finally got back onto the desktop the normal way.

Yes, my problems seemed to have stemmed from the graphics driver. Once I got back to the desktop, I opened up GeForce Experience and it automatically downloaded a Windows 10 driver, and my problems were straightened out.

My issue with Edge right now is that I have no way of moving my bookmarks over quick and easy. The Import From Another Browser feature only allows me to do so from Internet Explorer, and not from Firefox (or Chrome, but who gives a fuck about that piece of shit?). Attempting to transfer my bookmarks from Firefox to Internet Explorer (so I can then move them from IE to Edge) failed, with maybe only an eighth of those bookmarks making the transfer.

So until Edge gets the bookmark issue straightened out, I can't really make use of it. I am NOT moving my bookmarks over one-by-one, which is apparently the only viable way currently.
Old 2015-08-14, 15:44   Link #264
monster

What you could probably do is simply import them to Internet Explorer before importing them to Edge. It's an extra step, but it should allow you to import them all at the same time.
Old 2015-08-14, 16:51   Link #265
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
What you could probably do is simply import them to Internet Explorer before importing them to Edge. It's an extra step, but it should allow you to import them all at the same time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Attempting to transfer my bookmarks from Firefox to Internet Explorer (so I can then move them from IE to Edge) failed, with maybe only an eighth of those bookmarks making the transfer.
Already tried. Didn't work.
Old 2015-08-14, 17:11   Link #266
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Alright, time for some voodoo magic.

1. Go to C:\Users\Username\Favorites, then CTRL+A and CTRL+C to copy all of the Internet Explorer bookmarks

2. Jump to C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft .MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User \Default\Favorites and paste all of your copied IE bookmarks in it

3. Open the start menu then type regedit to open the registry editor, preferably admin mode

4. Find HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion \AppContainer\Storage\microsoft.microsoftedge_8wek yb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge\ and delete the FavOrder entry

5. Presto, everything has been copy-pasted from Internet Explorer, though all bookmarks are now sorted alphabetically in Edge. You should still be able to resort/order them in Edge's bookmark manager, though.

NOTE: for some reason, Animesuki keeps adding spaces in the second and third URLs. Remember to eliminate them if you're copy-pasting.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2015-08-14 at 17:29. Reason: Whoops, forgot to add one sub-folder in the URLs
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-14, 17:29   Link #267
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

That's not going to help me if IE doesn't have anything to import. My primary browser is Firefox, so I'll need instructions on getting my Firefox bookmarks transferred over to IE or Edge, whichever is more feasible.
Old 2015-08-14, 17:36   Link #268
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

In Firefox, CTRL+SHIFT+B to show all bookmarks. It'll open a window. Use your mouse to select all bookmark categories (toolbar, menu, unsorted).

In the window's toolbar, click on "Import and Backup" then "Export bookmarks to HTML". Find a place to store the HTML file (like C:\Bookmarks.html) then open up Internet Explorer.

In IE, press Alt+F then scroll down to "Import and Export". Select "Import from a file" then "Favorites" then apply the HTML file's URL (or use the file explorer to locate and select Bookmarks.html). Then click "Import".

Does that fail, too?
Old 2015-08-14, 17:46   Link #269
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

That was the initial failure, yes. It tells me there was an error in Favorites, and only maybe an eighth of the total bookmarks make it over. I know what the main method is for transferring bookmarks over between browsers--my main problem is that this method is not working.
Old 2015-08-14, 17:51   Link #270
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
That was the initial failure, yes. It tells me there was an error in Favorites, and only maybe an eighth of the total bookmarks make it over.
In that case, either you have so many bookmarks that IE can't handle the import (I'm not sure if there's an actual limit) or IE's installation was damaged somehow.

What happens if you try importing another 1/8 of your total bookmarks?
Old 2015-08-14, 17:57   Link #271
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

And does it always fail at the same area/bookmark? (By looking at the bookmarks that DID make it over, it should be possible to more or less figure out where the error is triggered)

Otherwise, do an incremental transfer:

- Before doing anything, go to Firefox and make a backup of ALL your bookmarks using the aforementioned HTML method.

Then...

- Go to Internet Explorer and determine where the transfer conked out (if it's arranged alphabetically, it should be easy).
- Return to Firefox and delete all folders and bookmarks that DID make it to IE.
- Back to IE, restart the import bookmarks from Firefox (direct import, not html import/export) process.
- If it fails again, redo the three previous steps until everything is transferred to IE.

- At the end, use the Bookmarks.html file to restore your Firefox bookmarks.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2015-08-17 at 16:01.
Old 2015-08-14, 22:00   Link #272
IceHism

When it comes to bookmark syncing. I just use xmarks. Try to install it on firefox and then transfer it over to IE perhaps?

Also, i tried to refresh my surface with windows 10 with a clean OEM-like state. I already deleted the windows.old and the refresh function killed my boot sector. lmao. I was returning the thing anyways so i don't really care but it seems like the reset function is a little buggy and i wouldn't suggest using it.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-15, 20:18   Link #273
AnimeFan188

Sick of Windows spying on you? Go Linux:

"You can try to turn Windows 10's data-sharing ways off, but, bad news:
Windows 10 will keep sharing some of your data with Microsoft anyway.

There is an alternative: Desktop Linux."

See:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/sick-of...-you-go-linux/

With the new "Windows 10" release, has Windows become so intrusive
that the average user is better off with Linux, or some other operating
system?
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-16, 11:44   Link #274
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

So is it safe to upgrade yet?
Old 2015-08-16, 13:23   Link #275
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

For now, it should okay. The online upgrade system is relatively smooth and most problems I read about are from people with laptops/OEM machines or old hardware.

Otherwise, I suggest you wait a month or two (you've still got eleven of them left to try and cross the Rubicon, anyway) for the third-party hardware/software vendors to compile their own Win10 drivers and fixes, which will endow you with a more hassle-free upgrade. Additionally, who knows whether MS will alter some of their policies (especially that forced update thingy, which is a double-edged blade, even though they themselves released a downloadable tool that allows users to review pending driver updates and either permit/disallow them) in the meantime.

However, if you're going to try your luck, I strongly suggest you use disk imaging software (preferably from a boot CD and not these desktop apps that use differential, background-generated backups rather than full partition/disk image files) on your Windows partition BEFORE making the upgrade. That way, you can always reformat your C:\ partition in case something goes wrong, and restore it to Windows 7/8/8.1. I feel like I'm repeating myself (see above posts), but, honestly, disk imaging is a lifesaver when you mess up your PC.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2015-08-16 at 14:18. Reason: Fixing a mistake
Old 2015-08-25, 00:06   Link #276
AnimeFan188

Hardcore Pirates Are Reportedly Banning Windows 10:

"There’s casual Pirate Bay piracy, and then there’s private torrent
trackers: members-only clubs that share the best movie and TV rips
among themselves. As you’d expect, they tend to be pretty hardcore
about privacy, enough so that some groups are banning members from
using Windows 10.

As TorrentFreak reports, groups like iTS and FSC have been freaking out
about the new Terms of Use for Windows 10 — specifically, the bits that
let Microsoft scan your harddrive for counterfeit software or hardware.
iTS instituted a ban starting last Thursday, explaining things with the
following message:"

See:

http://gizmodo.com/hardcore-pirates-...-10-1726044389
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-25, 01:07   Link #277
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
Sick of Windows spying on you? Go Linux:

"You can try to turn Windows 10's data-sharing ways off, but, bad news:
Windows 10 will keep sharing some of your data with Microsoft anyway.

There is an alternative: Desktop Linux."

See:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/sick-of...-you-go-linux/

With the new "Windows 10" release, has Windows become so intrusive
that the average user is better off with Linux, or some other operating
system?
Most programs don't work with Linux though...unless you maybe run a Windows emulator or something....

Just stick with 7 for now I think
Old 2015-08-25, 04:03   Link #278
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

For the part about Windows 10 checking for counterfeit software and reporting them, it should be taken with a grain of salt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section 7.b of Microsoft Services Agreement
Sometimes you’ll need software updates to keep using the Services. We may automatically check your version of the software and download software updates or configuration changes, including those that prevent you from accessing the Services, playing counterfeit games, or using unauthorized hardware peripheral devices. You may also be required to update the software to continue using the Services. Such updates are subject to these Terms unless other terms accompany the updates, in which case, those other terms apply. Microsoft isn’t obligated to make any updates available and we don’t guarantee that we will support the version of the system for which you licensed the software.
Source << -- that's the recently updated ToS that made a lot of people and other Internet pundits jittery.

If you scroll down to the last section "Covered Services", you'll see it doesn't even apply to Windows 10, but to a vast amount of MS services, like Office365 and more importantly, XBOX. That's why there is a mention of unauthorized hardware peripherals in the text - it's not about PC, it's about modded/hacked consoles and counterfeit games on XBOX. So before reaching for the tinfoil hats, just do a bit more research to see whether the concerns are warranted or mere overreaction.

I tried Linux some time ago (Mandriva, then Ubuntu) but it never really caught on with me. Simply, there's nothing exceptional (either about it or what it can do for my habits) that warrants a jump or even a dual boot. That, however, didn't prevent me from using it afterwards as a recovery environment (boot CDs to repair damaged partitions or recover lost data from a painfully dying HDD), but I only did so after exhausting most options.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2015-08-25 at 04:50.
Old 2015-08-25, 04:40   Link #279
Wolfe La Piroko
Choir of Angels

After trying out Windows 10 on two pcs (Desktop and Laptop), I come to the conclusion I dont like it. While it works decently on my desktop (Gaming Rig) because all I do on it is launch steam and chrome, it is absolutely horrible for anything work related (laptop). Laggy, slow, bad compatibility (our VPN client no longer works). Plus, its too flashy. I like my things looking oldschool.

As for Linux, I recommend Ubuntu Mate and XUbuntu to anyone who is new to linux. I love those two distros. Elementary OS is also nice but kinda buggy at the moment.

As for privacy, if you use a web browser, youve been sold anyway. So using windows 10 isnt gonna get you any more in corporate pockets than you already are.
Wolfe La Piroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-25, 06:03   Link #280
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
Hardcore Pirates Are Reportedly Banning Windows 10:

"There’s casual Pirate Bay piracy, and then there’s private torrent
trackers: members-only clubs that share the best movie and TV rips
among themselves. As you’d expect, they tend to be pretty hardcore
about privacy, enough so that some groups are banning members from
using Windows 10.

As TorrentFreak reports, groups like iTS and FSC have been freaking out
about the new Terms of Use for Windows 10 — specifically, the bits that
let Microsoft scan your harddrive for counterfeit software or hardware.
iTS instituted a ban starting last Thursday, explaining things with the
following message:"

See:

http://gizmodo.com/hardcore-pirates-...-10-1726044389
None of the places I go to have put this rule so yay for me.
Tho really, this is only for pirating apps from the store and Xbox live stuff. Windows isn't gonna give any shits about third party software.

I was thinking about using Linux for my laptop for programming but the battery life is absolutely terrible on it and there is like nothing compatible. My desktop will obviously use windows because its a gaming PC. I think I'll just get a macbook. I don't really care about privacy at this point though.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote