AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2016-10-04, 07:52   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 842 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Early spoiler is here! Credit goes to AP's YonkouProductions for the summary:

-Chapter title is "The power of a full stomach". No splash info yet.

-We discover that Luffy can quickly consume Cracker's biscuit soldiers after Nami dampens them with rain, making them softer. Unfortunately, at this point, Luffy is getting full, giving the puppets another opportunity to attack! However, they too get doused by Nami's rain. The navigator says she doesn't care if Cracker is a Yonkou's officer.... because Luffy is the one who will become the Pirate King! Which also means.... that his appetite has no limits, either! Everyone present is surprised by her words, Luffy included. Nonetheless, hearing her speech gives our hero his second wind, and he goes on an eating rampage!

-Meanwhile, in the mirror world, Chopper and Carrot are being chased by Brulee. We then return focus to Sanji, who's still being nursed by Reiju. She asks him where he gained his chivalrous nature from, which makes the young cook reminisce about the strict training he received from Zeff. Soon, the Vinsmoke family departs for Whole Cake Castle, where the engagement ceremony will take place....

-Back at the woods, Luffy, who's now full, goes back into Gear 4 mode! However, this time, he seems to be using a variant of it called "Tankman." Cracker assaults him with his sword, but discovers that the blade doesn't pierce his opponent at all.... rather, Luffy's stomach absorbs it! In fact, Cracker's entire upper body gets sucked into Luffy's stomach folds! The supernova then tells him that he'll blast him to the ends of the New World, and unleashes his Cannonball attack! True to Luffy's words, the force of his stomach ends up blasting away Cracker, who ends up crashing into his own biscuit soldiers as he's sent flying at a considerable distance....!!!!
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-05, 09:50   Link #2
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

Oh so Sanji have that code for not kicking any woman because of Zeff's code.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-05, 09:54   Link #3
P_Dezz

fun end to the fight, but two more commanders to go.
P_Dezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-05, 10:07   Link #4
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Nice. I like that Nami was needed to defeat Cracker. It explains how Luffy was able to eat them in the first place, at least kind of, and the end to the fight also kind of explains why Luffy ate the crackers rather than just knocking them out.

However, this chapter once again emphasises the gift exchange, lending further weight to the idea that the Vinsmokes will end up opening the bomb package.
Old 2016-10-05, 12:02   Link #5
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Good job by the Luffy and Nami combo. Finally they were able to force their way past this guy. Though there isn't unlimited time so they will have to move it. This was a grueling battle but..they managed it.

No shock that Sanji picked up his code from Zeff. He really was the guy's father in all the ways that matter.

And yeah...that gift exchange could be pretty amusing .
Old 2016-10-05, 12:58   Link #6
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

are we sure the fight is over between luffy and cracker?
Old 2016-10-05, 16:08   Link #7
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa1708 View Post
Anything is possible, but it seems pretty conclusive. The knocked out expression, knocked out teeth, being sent flying a long distance, etc. Even if he's not unconscious (which I think he is) Cracker isn't going to get back to where Luffy is any time soon. That guy's greatest advantage was his ability to avoid taking direct damage and he just took a ton of it right there.

I don't think the story gains anything by dragging this fight out any further. He's not the big threat for Luffy in this arc.
Old 2016-10-05, 16:24   Link #8
Rainbowman

I'm amazed at how this battle ended. 😃 I got to ask, how soggy can a cracker/biscuit/cookie get to activate someone's disgust factor? Because I might have a limit to how soggy dry food should be for me to digest. 😖 (Ew)
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-05, 16:34   Link #9
Wandering Soul

That was a pretty nice display of teamwork between Luffy and Nami. It explains why Luffy continued to eat the biscuits even though Cracker could just make more to attack them, instead of just destroying them. I also like how they established that Nami was critical to being able to take out Cracker.
Old 2016-10-05, 17:40   Link #10
marvelB

As others have already said, it's pretty darn cool to see some teamwork between Luffy and Nami this chapter. I also already figured that Sanji's chivalry came from Zeff. Anyway, I wonder how long it's gonna take for Luffy to drop all that extra weight?

Quote:
Considering that Luffy already spent eleven freaking hours fighting the guy to begin with.... I think it's safe to say that Cracker is over and done with at this point, lol. Besides, we still don't know if Luffy has to face any more of Big Mom's top forces (be they the other two commanders or even Mama herself). And there's also still the Vinsmokes to worry about, though I personally feel that's more of Sanji's own thing to deal with.....
Old 2016-10-05, 17:42   Link #11
imza

What I’m curious about is how Luffy did not pass out after using the Gear 4 the first time. If the fight really went on for hours, has Luffy already removed the downside of Gear 4?
imza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-05, 18:02   Link #12
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by imza View Post
What I’m curious about is how Luffy did not pass out after using the Gear 4 the first time. If the fight really went on for hours, has Luffy already removed the downside of Gear 4?

I doubt he fixed his weakness so quickly.... I think it's more likely that he recovered energy from eating Cracker's biscuit army (there's no shortage of those guys, after all). Plus, it's not like he stayed in Gear 4 the whole time, either. And remember, Cracker even pointed out how the whole fight played out during all that time (Luffy would fight a bit, run away, then eat). So I guess you can say it boils down to Luffy making efficient use of a hit-and-run strategy, heh.
Old 2016-10-05, 21:51   Link #13
Ramero

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
As others have already said, it's pretty darn cool to see some teamwork between Luffy and Nami this chapter. I also already figured that Sanji's chivalry came from Zeff. Anyway, I wonder how long it's gonna take for Luffy to drop all that extra weight?
The main question is, will Sanji break his chivalry when dealing with Big Mom?
Old 2016-10-05, 22:00   Link #14
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramero View Post
The main question is, will Sanji break his chivalry when dealing with Big Mom?
Probably not. If there is a direct conflict with her that's Luffy's fight and he doesn't care either way. Honestly he's probably one of the few male's in the crew that doesn't care about the gender of the person he's hitting .

Sanji will have plenty to do fighting his siblings and father anyways.
Old 2016-10-05, 22:44   Link #15
P_Dezz

wonder why Cracker didn't hakify his sword in his final attack, seeing luffy covered in haki. Guess he was too tired.
P_Dezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-06, 00:04   Link #16
The Small One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramero View Post
Oh so Sanji have that code for not kicking any woman because of Zeff's code.
What I thought was more interessting (though I don't know if it was maybe just a translation-thing) was, that Zeff explicitly spoke of "never kicking women" and not, that it's forbidden to fight them at all, how Sanji actey until now.
Maybe the next upgrade for Sanji will be, that he'll be able to fight women by using his hands.

Quote:
If Luffy is going to reach Sanji in time, the fight has to end now.

What I wonder: We've seen what Luffy and Nami were up to for the last 11 hours, and we've seen Sanji's fate. Chopper and Carrot are trapped. But there is still another group on the island. What was Brook up to all this time?
(Well technically Jinbei is also a Straw Hat. We didn't see him since his talk with Big Mom)
The Small One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-06, 01:19   Link #17
Ramero

I just hope on this moment Sanji can be a demon that can outwir his family without any doubt. Maybe wall can be useless as well against Sanji if he has demonic power. I guess we will see Nami arrived and then goes to trouble or Reiji was being harrassed by Sanji's siblings that can turn him into a demon.

I realize that no kicking woman chivalry is also a power boost for Sanji, if he saw any woman get hurt he will enraged for sure.
Old 2016-10-06, 04:04   Link #18
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
It will only be over when Toriko crosses over and eats ALL the biscuits

Well, honestly, Oda is stalling Luffy's party a hell of a lot already, I don't think it will last any longer - but that doesn't mean Luffy has to win, there could be a game-changing event taking place and just break up the fight.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-06, 11:33   Link #19
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
I'm amazed at how this battle ended. 😃 I got to ask, how soggy can a cracker/biscuit/cookie get to activate someone's disgust factor? Because I might have a limit to how soggy dry food should be for me to digest. 😖 (Ew)
It's canon that the wet biscuits are delicious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGoten View Post
Nice. I like that Nami was needed to defeat Cracker. It explains how Luffy was able to eat them in the first place, at least kind of, and the end to the fight also kind of explains why Luffy ate the crackers rather than just knocking them out.
I wonder if this will lead to a trend this arc of Luffy needing his weaker crew members to help him defeat Yonko commander level fighters. I'm sure Chopper and Brook will both be useful like Nami was and it would be cool to see Luffy team up with either of them as well. He's running out of time though. BM's crew will probably delay the SHs so we can have a Graduate moment of Luffy breaking up the ceremony right before they say 'I do.'
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-06, 12:35   Link #20
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
I wonder if this will lead to a trend this arc of Luffy needing his weaker crew members to help him defeat Yonko commander level fighters. I'm sure Chopper and Brook will both be useful like Nami was and it would be cool to see Luffy team up with either of them as well. He's running out of time though. BM's crew will probably delay the SHs so we can have a Graduate moment of Luffy breaking up the ceremony right before they say 'I do.'
You know what, I'm usually not one for romance and all, but I'd kind of like Nami being the one to disrupt the ceremony last second. That'd be lovely. Then we could have a tender moment of her and Sanji looking each other in their eyes, before fat Luffy crashes the place and falls over Nami.