AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-08-13, 20:38   Link #1261
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post

Taichi is a 'selfless freak'. But why is he? Is really helping others is his really own purpose. Sorry, but not buying that either. There's no way someone can be selfless without being selfish either. We're all human and we all have selfish desires even if we don't express them. This arc will finally show what he's really hiding.
He already said he was being selfless for his own reasons in the last arc.

Quote:
Spoiler for Inaba thougts:
It's been what, several weeks since the last arc? Trust issues don't just disappear overnight, especially when there's someone actively trolling you. Inaba reminds me a bit of Kodaka from Haganai, in that she rather not spoil the friend dynamic between the group and would like things to stay the same.

http://sining83.blogspot.com
evil|plushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-13, 21:25   Link #1262
Berserkguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil|plushie View Post
Inaba reminds me a bit of Kodaka from Haganai, in that she rather not spoil the friend dynamic between the group and would like things to stay the same.
I really like that comparison - but I have to agree with Jmac on this one:
Spoiler for Comparison to another anime:

And as for the focusing on Heartseed vs. focusing on the characters bit:
As much as I would love to see more interaction between the characters, I feel the whole dynamic of having Heartseed playing the mediator is also really important. It's too early to say whether there should be more or less emphasis on the characters, but so far I'm not at all bothered by his screentime. I mean, what, he only shows up every other episode?

Just my thoughts, looking forward to the next episode! The most recent episode (#6) seemed to me like it was setting up the stage for the next one, so it should be interesting!
Old 2012-08-13, 21:50   Link #1263
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

She's not so much selfless but more that she doesn't want anything to change. This is a person who basically has a very cynical view of people. What's known to her at the moment is this 'Iori like Taichi' and 'Taichi likes Iori'. Why bother getting involved in that as a third party? Their feelings are already known to her and very clear to her. If she gets involved, she might mess up their whole group dynamic and cause everyone to fall out. She doesn't want that. Better she keep quiet than risk everything for something she thinks isn't going to work out.

Old 2012-08-14, 03:13   Link #1264
Blonto

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I think this appears to be the new rallying cry across the forum or something, with people bringing this up all over the place these days all of a sudden. Is it just because someone mentioned it that now people are hyper-aware of it? I'm not really convinced that anime has changed much in this regard over the last, say, ten years.
Oh, I think it changed very much. If you haven't noticed, anime has been pandering more and more to its otaku fanbase, as they're the ones who will be more likely to buy merchandise. Why do you think there are so many moe/fanservice/moe fanservice shows every season? That stuff isn't exactly mainstream. Guardian Enzo's comment are my thoughts exactly.

The only reason this show isn't focused on the group as a whole is because there seems to be a law in anime that the only characters that are allowed to have any sort of depth or dilemmas must be female. This is ok in fanservice shows (the focus in these shows isn't exactly on something guys anatomically posses), but this spread to anime which are in theory supposed to treat every character equally, such as this one. They didn't have to use the harem format of one guy helping traumatized girls, but they did. In a normal world Kokoro connect would focus on all its characters, but the anime world is so used to selling cute girls that they developed this obligation to focus only on them even at the cost of ruining a story's potential. The philosophy is that the anime is developing a waifu for you to chose and if the waifu isn't waifu, there's no reason for you to be interested in a character. It's a weird case of same-sex cooties.

I was beginning to wonder if I'm the only one who's bothered by this so I'm happy to see other folks are, too.
Blonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 03:26   Link #1265
Sumeragi
Banned

I'm going to say this again: Give it time with Kokoro Connect. I don't know much about other series (since I usually avoid fanservice shows in the first place), but Kokoro Connect is a gradual process. The fact that people are jumping to conclusions when the second arc just started is what I'm more worried about: It seems people's ability to patiently wait has eroded quite a bit.

Basically, just enjoy the ride for now. First arc was mainly about the instability of Iori's identity. This arc will probably be about Inaba-chan's internal problems and also add in aspects on Taichi's own problems and the relationship between Yui and Aoki.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 03:31   Link #1266
Jmac
Sharing my world thru art
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil|plushie View Post
She's not so much selfless but more that she doesn't want anything to change. This is a person who basically has a very cynical view of people. What's known to her at the moment is this 'Iori like Taichi' and 'Taichi likes Iori'. Why bother getting involved in that as a third party? Their feelings are already known to her and very clear to her. If she gets involved, she might mess up their whole group dynamic and cause everyone to fall out. She doesn't want that. Better she keep quiet than risk everything for something she thinks isn't going to work out.
Spoiler for more Inaba thoughts:

In all honesty we're talking about a group of teenagers too. I really don't have much faith in keeping their emotions in check, especially the girls.
Old 2012-08-14, 05:35   Link #1267
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
I'm going to say this again: Give it time with Kokoro Connect. I don't know much about other series (since I usually avoid fanservice shows in the first place), but Kokoro Connect is a gradual process. The fact that people are jumping to conclusions when the second arc just started is what I'm more worried about: It seems people's ability to patiently wait has eroded quite a bit.

Basically, just enjoy the ride for now. First arc was mainly about the instability of Iori's identity. This arc will probably be about Inaba-chan's internal problems and also add in aspects on Taichi's own problems and the relationship between Yui and Aoki.
Agreed. That’s exactly what I’m doing right now. I’m still enjoying the ride.

I also don’t understand why many people have to pass final judgement to this series’ plot & characters right here & right now. It’s not even over yet. It’s like judging the first half of a feature film. Things can still change from there. Don’t believe me? Watch the first half of Wolverine. It was good. Add the second half, then it became complete trash. The same thing also happen to Nadia: Secret of Blue Water & Gundam SEED Destiny. The first half is good, then the second half made those series went downhill. The opposite can also happen to KC. So, I’ll keep my final judgement for when this series is completely over.
Old 2012-08-14, 07:25   Link #1268
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Spoiler for more Inaba thoughts:

In all honesty we're talking about a group of teenagers too. I really don't have much faith in keeping their emotions in check, especially the girls.
You're thinking too rationally. This is a girl who's issue in the last arc was basically 'she didn't trust anyone'. She still doesn't fully trust anyone yet so she doesn't believe that things won't get ugly if she lets her true feelings be known now

Old 2012-08-14, 08:05   Link #1269
Lantern
<(゜∀。)

I feel like many people been focusing too much on Inaba’s not-trusting issue while ignoring the other half of her problem which is her self-loathing (she thinks of herself as a horrible and unworthy person) resulting a very negative self-esteem and thus the fear of hurting her friends, both of which combines and makes her completely unable to open herself to them. Just want to throw this out there.
Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 08:12   Link #1270
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
I feel like many people been focusing too much on Inaba’s not-trusting issue while ignoring the other half of her problem which is her self-loathing (she thinks of herself as a horrible and unworthy person) resulting a very negative self-esteem and thus the fear of hurting her friends, both of which combines and makes her completely unable to open herself to them. Just want to throw this out there.
Agree, that's her whole issue, not just the trust problem. That's why she is not even trying to get Taichi.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 08:28   Link #1271
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

She's like 15-16?? God knows how many people DIDN'T confess to someone they liked at that age. It's not uncommon

Old 2012-08-14, 08:59   Link #1272
Ridwan

I would've had dropped this show by 2nd episode if not for Inaban really. Even now, I'm still rather dissatisfied with the surrounding cast and environment she is in. Well, I'm not a fan of hero complex to begin with, but I may had liked Inaba-Taichi shipping better if they've gotten together from the start.
Old 2012-08-14, 09:16   Link #1273
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
While that's certainly a valid approach when it comes to appreciating shows, there's also nothing wrong with inferring and critiquing a show based on what we already have on our plate. By your logic, discussing the content of a show before it finishes airing should also be avoided.
Old 2012-08-14, 09:26   Link #1274
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

^He's making such a claim because he has additional knowledge that goes beyond what we've been shown so far, if you know what I mean. I don't think it's meant to be a general approach that applies in circumstances where this criterion is not met.
frivolity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 09:31   Link #1275
Blonto

It is not at all unreasonable to assume where the show is going based on it's current trajectory and how anime in general handles stories like this. If a show decides to do things differently, we'll simply sing a different tune.
Blonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 12:04   Link #1276
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I think a case can also be made that even if the male characters were to get actual personalities now, it would already be too late for the show to get a free pass given that it's more than half finished (not counting the 4 BD extra eps). If that happened now it would be better than it not happening, but it still wouldn't totally excuse what we've seen so far.

We discuss series based on what we've seen so far - that's how this works. Unless you want to lock a thread until a show has finished airing, there's no way around it.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 12:55   Link #1277
Sumeragi
Banned

I believe people have missed the point that it has been clearly defined Kokoro Connect contains four different arcs of quite different stories, each arc affecting the characters in a very different way. Furthermore, we have pretty much seen the first arc hit Iori hard, and the immediate second arc crushing Inaba-chan from the inside. Given the clearly defined boundaries and outline of the series, it is quite incomparable to the more hazy differentiations of other series.

Stemming from what has been clearly laid out to us from the beginning, it is hasty of a person to follow the logic of "how anime in general handles stories like this", especially when the current trajectory clearly shows we are dealing with the problems of each characters, including the male characters. What we have on our plate currently already overturns most of what "general anime" does, so additional knowledge (which I don't have, contrary to someone's claim) is not needed.

In essence, I am critizing the relative short-sightedness of people who are ignoring the clear prospectives of the story and thus going down the more popular line of thought. Basically, my posts is a critique of people's tendency to miss the big picture and jump to conclusions and criticism of series when there are noticable hints things will not be similar to other more general series.

Finally..... I wonder when people will stop saying "He".
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 12:59   Link #1278
Ridwan

Well, this story's trajectory and general premise is certainly not usual, not even bad. Just not really my cup of tea. At least past the point it became clear my favorite character is heading towards the direction I don't prefer her to.
Old 2012-08-14, 13:07   Link #1279
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Quote:

Stemming from what has been clearly laid out to us from the beginning, it is hasty of a person to follow the logic of "how anime in general handles stories like this", especially when the current trajectory clearly shows we are dealing with the problems of each characters, including the male characters. What we have on our plate currently already overturns most of what "general anime" does, so additional knowledge (which I don't have, contrary to someone's claim) is not needed.
I just watched the latest episode, and I've got to say, this definitely stands out from other slice of life anime for its serious plot and characters with deep psychological issues, admittedly interspersed with humor. Now the only thing that would add icing to the cake would be for Aoki to give harem tropes the middle finger and get Yui, and for Taichi to reveal that he is himself not psychologically perfect at some point...

As for my thoughts one the latest episode, while this has gotten interesting, I thought it would be only the body swapping. Like the body swapping, the acting on unconcious desires is certainly interesting. Sigmund Freud would have field day!

Quote:
Finally..... I wonder when people will stop saying "He".
Uhh... who are you referring to?
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 13:09   Link #1280
Lantern
<(゜∀。)

Peace of mind among the storm,
Our three favorite princesses:

Large version:
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Quote:
Uhh... who are you referring to?
Sumeragi is a "She" xDDDDD
Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body swapping, comedy, drama, romance, shounen, slice of life