AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2011-01-01, 19:49   Link #81
Axilios
Golden penguin

Send a message via MSN to Axilios
Quote:
I want to know what was being talked about in that first screenshot. Who are they saying is a "personification of the message bottles"?
I would say that they are talking about the goats invading the island, but it is only a guess.
Axilios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-01, 19:49   Link #82
Mcjon01

So, I was just browsing through the script some. Answering the quiz questions correctly definitely just leads to extra scenes between the quiz games. Total coins doesn't seem to affect anything other than the contents of the present that Kinzo gave to Ange. Or a different present, I dunno, it's definitely a present though. In case anyone was still holding out for more endings, they aren't in there.

Spoiler for Trick End:
Mcjon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-01, 21:15   Link #83
Digdri
Uu~ Let's solve a riddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
I'm finally done with Episode 8.
[...]
Well I thank for this comment because it really gave me hope that I will also kind of like (and at least except) this "end" the story will provide and enjoy the ride while doing so. Thats really some relief in all this RUINED FOREVER and other nerdrage talk starting up now like never before.

But actually this one answer also again made me want to write down some of the thought and more abstract theories that has circled in head like forever.... So here it goes:

Spoiler for here comes another of my more 'bigger picture' style analysises... also long ^^:
Digdri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-01, 22:48   Link #84
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssol View Post
I think they are us.
Yeah how dare us, wanting to know things in the episode where he was going to tell us things.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-01, 23:09   Link #85
luckyssol

He had to get it out of his system. Though, I can see why some people might get upset by that scene.
Personally, I don’t care. I’ve been called much worse than a ruthless goat before.
Old 2011-01-01, 23:14   Link #86
Li Jianliang
This is my ____ face

Send a message via AIM to Li Jianliang Send a message via MSN to Li Jianliang Send a message via Yahoo to Li Jianliang
I've only seen 13 of the total number of puzzles so far. Translations are as follows for those interested in attempting to solve them. Most of them are fairly easy, though a few involve wordplay or knowledge of Japanese language. Hints are available through consulting Auntie Eva, it appears.

The questions are in no particular order. More will be added later.

Spoiler for Black & White:

Spoiler for Foodstuff Alphabet:

Spoiler for Race for Ingots:

Spoiler for The Eldest Girl:

Spoiler for A Certain Traveler:

Spoiler for King's Reward:

Spoiler for Floor 14:

Spoiler for The Witch's Kitchen:

Spoiler for Cook a Dessert:

Spoiler for Down the River:

Spoiler for Numbers & Cars:

Spoiler for Christmas Again:

Spoiler for Burnout:

Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru episode 6: Dawn of the golden witch
Translations & summaries & screenshots
Part I | Part II In progress

Last edited by Li Jianliang; 2011-01-02 at 01:26.
Li Jianliang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-01, 23:38   Link #87
luckyssol

Are those questions in the same order that they are presented in the game? I mean, do they match the order Marina2 posted?

Last edited by luckyssol; 2011-01-01 at 23:49.
luckyssol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-01, 23:41   Link #88
Li Jianliang
This is my ____ face

Send a message via AIM to Li Jianliang Send a message via MSN to Li Jianliang Send a message via Yahoo to Li Jianliang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssol View Post
Are those questions in the same order that they are presented in the game? I mean, do they match the order Marina2 posted?
No. They are in random order. I'm not a big fan of looking at the answers before reading the riddle...

Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru episode 6: Dawn of the golden witch
Translations & summaries & screenshots
Part I | Part II In progress
Li Jianliang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-02, 00:42   Link #89
Mcjon01

Man, that King's Reward riddle is a really douchey question to ask a six year old girl. There's pretty much no way Ange would be able to get that one in-story, unless the Japanese school system moves ridiculously fast. I guess she's lucky that she's got an omniscient invisible force guiding her choices, eh?
Mcjon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-02, 00:48   Link #90
Titanguy654

I assume that there is an answer to all of this mess, or, at least, Ryukishi has one in his own mind. There has been enough evidence of that. What I wonder about is whether or not he truly intends to carry his own answer to the grave with him.

Sealing the cat-box indeed.

Edit: Otherwise, I'm banking on a:

"Alright, now that you've all had suffeciant time to think about all 8 episodes for yourselves, here's the answer. Kthxbye." Type deal to happen. That seems naive at this point, though.
Titanguy654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-02, 01:23   Link #91
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Quote:
Man, that King's Reward riddle is a really douchey question to ask a six year old girl. There's pretty much no way Ange would be able to get that one in-story, unless the Japanese school system moves ridiculously fast. I guess she's lucky that she's got an omniscient invisible force guiding her choices, eh?
They know that, though. Eva apologizes to Ange about how she raised her after 1986 and shit.
Old 2011-01-02, 01:30   Link #92
Sir Andy Richter
Wuh?

Would it be mean to suggest we got the "ending" we did because Ryukishi wrote himself out of a corner and had no way to fix it?

I'm fine with it but ehhhh you do not end a murder mystery like that but, oh wait, this isn't a murder mystery, I forgot.
Sir Andy Richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-02, 02:06   Link #93
ferthepoet

I think people are misunderstanding those of us who are unhappy with the spoilers, the problem is not not having a definite answer on what happened on Rokkenjima, the problem is not having any answer to the main points built by the previous chapter....

for example episode 7 gaves a coherent answer as to the source of the gold then later in the chapter we get a hint that that might not have been the full truth..... I don't know if the gold was touched upon on chapter 8 but if it had been left like that and its up to us to believe Kinzo story or think something else happened that's fine, however. if we had never got any explanation about the Gold and he said something like Oh, you are free to believe whatever you want about the source of the gold that would have just been bad writing.

From the sound of it this is what happens with most of the remaining mysteries, the problem is not that we didn't get an unquestionable solution the problem is that we didn't get any solution at all nor any reasons to keep on believing a coherent narrative with a who, how and why dunnit for each of the first four episodes can be formed

The other problem is Umineko made it seem like the the whole point was finding the solution... Pan's Laberynth had an open end where no final answer on whether the magic world is real is provided but that's o.k because the work was never about that....In Umineko you are encouraged over and over to think about this... even if Author theory applies and on the metanarrative level Umineko was not a mystery novel we are told up to episode 7 that the intention of each of the authors was to write mystery novels and that they wanted the readers to solve them so its o.k not to get an answer about rokkenjima prime but we should at least get answers regarding the solutions the authors of those fictions within fiction novels had in mind.
ferthepoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-02, 02:14   Link #94
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Quote:
Would it be mean to suggest we got the "ending" we did because Ryukishi wrote himself out of a corner and had no way to fix it?
Yes, since the ending was implied through the whole series. You can't say it's an asspull, since it dies up everything in a thematic sense.

Quote:
I think people are misunderstanding those of us who are unhappy with the spoilers, the problem is not not having a definite answer on what happened on Rokkenjima, the problem is not having any answer to the main points built by the previous chapter....

for example episode 7 gaves a coherent answer as to the source of the gold then later in the chapter we get a hint that that might not have been the full truth..... I don't know if the gold was touched upon on chapter 8 but if it had been left like that and its up to us to believe Kinzo story or think something else happened that's fine, however. if we had never got any explanation about the Gold and he said something like Oh, you are free to believe whatever you want about the source of the gold that would have just been bad writing.

From the sound of it this is what happens with most of the remaining mysteries, the problem is not that we didn't get an unquestionable solution the problem is that we didn't get any solution at all nor any reasons to keep on believing a coherent narrative with a who, how and why dunnit for each of the first four episodes can be formed
You were supposed to find out all that on your own, though. Before EP8 was even published, Ryukishi said the mystery was concluded.

Quote:
The other problem is Umineko made it seem like the the whole point was finding the solution... Pan's Laberynth had an open end where no final answer on whether the magic world is real is provided but that's o.k because the work was never about that....In Umineko you are encouraged over and over to think about this... even if Author theory applies and on the metanarrative level Umineko was not a mystery novel we are told up to episode 7 that the intention of each of the authors was to write mystery novels and that they wanted the readers to solve them so its o.k not to get an answer about rokkenjima prime but we should at least get answers regarding the solutions the authors of those fictions within fiction novels had in mind.
Ryukishi has been saying since before EP4 was released that we weren't going to be getting the answers. It's your own fault for building up expectations he was forthrightly claiming he had no intentions of meeting.

The answers are there, find them yourself. That's what it means to have "personal satisfaction."
Old 2011-01-02, 02:36   Link #95
yuugi99

What the above poster said. I am unhappy not because of what happened in rokkenjima prime. I would care less about it. I am unhappy because no confirmed answer was given to the mystery provided in the first four episodes.

Although I could form my own answer that Shannon/Kannon/Shkannon (whichever you believe he/she is) is the culprit which fakes the first twillight dead, but my answer will never be the correct answer (or anyone's answer for that matter). It may be correct or it may be wrong but we will never 100% know for sure. This is the one and only thing on why I am dissappointed. I don't care if the first 4 games are fictions within fictions but at the very least provide the answer to them.

No matter how absurd the answer is, the worst is no answer at all. I hope umineko rei would clear this up but i won't get my hope high
yuugi99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-02, 02:43   Link #96
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

....And, again, Ryukishi has been saying literally for years that he wasn't be giving all the answers like he did for Higurashi. This can't at all be blamed on how he wrote EP8, we were told not to even EXPECT it.
Old 2011-01-02, 02:53   Link #97
ferthepoet

I think most people was aware we were not getting complete answers but the problem is from the sound of it we are not getting answers to any of the major points ..... maybe we are overreacting and I'll wait until I read episode 8 for giving my opinion.... but for example I don't see how a solution which doesn't give any hint how the outcome could have been avoided if Battler came one year earlier or later could be satisfying... Yes I know we can invoke butterfly effect and just leave it at the slightlest of changes can result in the largest of differences but that does not make for a compelling story
ferthepoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-02, 02:54   Link #98
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
"Everyone hates Ange" is becoming more and more supported by evidence...

Old 2011-01-02, 02:57   Link #99
ArcticHelm

I'm not really sure what an answer is anymore. >.> Even "real" scenes could be some sort of fantasy. D: Well, outside of the fact that it is a story.
ArcticHelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-02, 03:00   Link #100
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticHelm View Post
I'm not really sure what an answer is anymore. >.> Even "real" scenes could be some sort of fantasy. D: Well, outside of the fact that it is a story.
Of course when we start getting into "Everything is part of a story, but some of it is more of a story than other parts," we start sounding a trifle odd, don't we?

So what distinction, if any, are we supposed to be making there?