Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-03-23, 00:01   Link #1
Nerroth
NePoi!

Romance of the Three Kingdoms

Hi.

Alongside two more modified takes on the Three Kingdoms era out this upcoming season, there will be the Japanese release of a more straight adaptation - titled, unsurprisingly, Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

So far, only a small selection from the Japanese-language cast has been shown on the ANN page:

Quote:
Eiichiro Funakoshi as Liu Bei
Masanori Ishii as Zhuge Liang
Naho Toda as Xiao Qiao
Shingo Tsurumi as Cao Cao

Takeshi Kaga as Narration
Apparently it's already had its broadcast run in the PRC (on the mainland, at least - dunno about Hong Kong or Macau) and I'm not sure if it's been shown on Taiwan either.

Still, it'll start on TV Tokyo on the 4th of April.

So, will anyone give it a try, or stick with Ikkitousen or SD Gundam instead?
Old 2010-03-23, 03:50   Link #2
Kunagisa

I'll definitely watch a couple episodes, but most of the recent drama remakes of the epic tales are pretty bad, so can't say I have high hopes for this one.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 05:04   Link #3
NinjaYali
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerroth View Post
Hi.

Alongside two more modified takes on the Three Kingdoms era out this upcoming season, there will be the Japanese release of a more straight adaptation - titled, unsurprisingly, Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

So far, only a small selection from the Japanese-language cast has been shown on the ANN page:

Apparently it's already had its broadcast run in the PRC (on the mainland, at least - dunno about Hong Kong or Macau) and I'm not sure if it's been shown on Taiwan either.

Still, it'll start on TV Tokyo on the 4th of April.

So, will anyone give it a try, or stick with Ikkitousen or SD Gundam instead?
Grazie Japan!

Well, time for a return to unaltered, accurate Romance of the Three Kingdoms with no fanservice.

As for Gundam, may have a look but the last time I watched a certain SD Gundam, it was entertaining but craptastic.
NinjaYali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 08:39   Link #4
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I've watched some of the Chinese version, and I think it's very good. It's made for kids, so there is no blood even in the wildest fights, but the story seems accurate and pretty complete and clearly told, and I like the animation. It's a very straight retelling. Kind of old-fashioned and classic.

And although there is no skin, they leave intact things like the beautiful heroine who gave herself to a man she loathed for the sake of her father and the country.

I just wonder how they are going to dub it, since the Chinese is pretty condensed, and I'm not sure they give enough time to say the same things in Japanese.

52 episodes.

Check the link in my sig for complete previews of all the spring shows, with staff, cast, pics, trailers, etc. I've got a link there to a streamed version of one of the Chinese episodes of this show.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 10:07   Link #5
NinjaYali
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I've watched some of the Chinese version, and I think it's very good. It's made for kids, so there is no blood even in the wildest fights, but the story seems accurate and pretty complete and clearly told, and I like the animation. It's a very straight retelling. Kind of old-fashioned and classic.

And although there is no skin, they leave intact things like the beautiful heroine who gave herself to a man she loathed for the sake of her father and the country.

I just wonder how they are going to dub it, since the Chinese is pretty condensed, and I'm not sure they give enough time to say the same things in Japanese.

52 episodes.

Check the link in my sig for complete previews of all the spring shows, with staff, cast, pics, trailers, etc. I've got a link there to a streamed version of one of the Chinese episodes of this show.
Oh so it's a Japanese dub of a Chinese show.

Bout time, they had some success over at China with the animation industry.
NinjaYali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 16:23   Link #6
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaYali View Post
Oh so it's a Japanese dub of a Chinese show. Bout time, they had some success over at China with the animation industry.
It's a co-production made in China, I think. The screen credits for the Chinese version name a Chinese company and a Japanese company, and there are a few Japanese names, especially a producer and one of three series directors. But the vast majority of the names credited are Chinese.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2010-03-27, 08:44   Link #7
AlaAlba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerroth View Post
Hi.

Ikkitousen and Koihime Musou?
lol these two mainly are fan services only. I wont watch both

BUT, I still hoping for Ryuuroden to get an anime. I wonder why it still havent got one

and maybe I ll give a try on this one too
AlaAlba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-27, 12:38   Link #8
Nerroth
NePoi!

I hadn't heard of Koihime Musou - I was referring to the new SD Gundam show.

So, that makes it at least three alternate takes, then...
Old 2010-03-27, 12:42   Link #9
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

now why didn't they make a anime of Ravage of Time. There is enough material out of a couple of seasons and it is one of the better ro3k adaptions i have seen.
Old 2010-03-30, 08:39   Link #10
Nerroth
NePoi!

There's a Japanese-language website up now.
Old 2010-03-30, 09:07   Link #11
Goblinator

I welcome this, but dammit, someone sub souten kouro already! This was a great 3 kingdoms show last year.
Goblinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-30, 12:01   Link #12
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Anyone know if the Chinese run got subbed?

Might as well get authentic and watch it in Chinese.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-31, 13:09   Link #13
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquigleone View Post
Anyone know if the Chinese run got subbed? Might as well get authentic and watch it in Chinese.
I haven't found an English-subbed version (only Chinese-subbed, lol). And the version I've seen is not particularly high-quality video. But I agree about the Chinese version. The voices seem good to me, and the language of the script is nice: concise and old-fashioned.
Old 2010-03-31, 22:46   Link #14
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I haven't found an English-subbed version (only Chinese-subbed, lol). And the version I've seen is not particularly high-quality video. But I agree about the Chinese version. The voices seem good to me, and the language of the script is nice: concise and old-fashioned.
I was always under the impression that there were always a lot of Chinese -> English subbers out there (for instance some Anime fansubs use Chinese Fansubs as a base for their translation). So I would have though this would have been subbed already if it's been existence for several years.

Or maybe it just wasn't that good .
Old 2010-04-01, 02:22   Link #15
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquigleone View Post
I was always under the impression that there were always a lot of Chinese -> English subbers out there (for instance some Anime fansubs use Chinese Fansubs as a base for their translation). So I would have though this would have been subbed already if it's been existence for several years.

Or maybe it just wasn't that good .
It's only been out since last August. And it is very long (52 eps), so perhaps no-one wanted to commit to it. Or maybe I just haven't found the subs.

It is for kids, so has no blood, but I thought the several eps I saw were pretty good. Better than lots of shows, anyway.

I think there are people who use Chinese subs of Japanese shows to help make English subs. Maybe they just didn't think there was an audience, or are only interested in Japanese shows themselves. Not sure.
Old 2010-04-01, 19:54   Link #16
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

It's entirely possible that their efforts to aim it at kids may have reduced much of it's appeal. While RotTK is hardly a gore fest it could also hardly be described as kid oriented either. I've not read it (though I plan too), but I've always gathered that it was fairly complex with themes kids probably couldn't understand.

Then again Kemono no Souja Erin was also aimed at kids, so I could be completely wrong. Then again Kemono no Souja Erin wasn't as focused on battles and old dudes plotting like Romance of the Three Kingdoms.
Old 2010-04-01, 21:34   Link #17
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

I had been puzzled what happened to this project, I saw it listed last year, never heard anything more, and then it popped up again. I'd be interested in hearing it in the original Chinese since it is a Chinese story, and with all the subbers who use Chinese anyway, I'm a little surprised that no one took it up.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-01, 23:44   Link #18
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

The show starts in Japan on Sunday. But for anyone who wants to get a glimpse of the Chinese version, at least ten episodes are on a (fairly slow?) Chinese streaming site here.

I've read a few Chinese comments now, and saw quite a few people who loved it, some who said it wasn't as good as the Japanese version from a number of years ago, and some who didn't like the fact that it is a co-production with Japan. I fall closer to the "loved it" camp, through a half-dozen episodes. A bit old-fashioned, but close to the original classic, and pretty strong, for me. It may be for kids, but I don't consider it "kid-stuff." Some complexity and subtlety involved.
Old 2010-04-02, 16:11   Link #19
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Well now that it's airing in Japan it's pretty likely that someone will sub the first episode of the Japanese episode, and if it's as good as you say, hopefully one of the subbers who knows Chinese will go ahead and sub the rest.

Are good quality Chinese raws available?
Old 2010-04-02, 19:04   Link #20
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

@Kaoru Chujo

The opening is absolutely amazing. Although I have zero interest in this.

I don't think the anime is aimed strictly at the kids, it's only family friendly. The opening had something along the lines of 'High budget High definition animation series'. Which makes it sound like a drama series that runs during prime time. Just from the first 3 minutes of the show, it reminded me of those chinese kung ku/war drama series that I was forced to watch because it was the only thing on TV when I was young.

Doesn't look half bad honestly. Just not my cup of tea.