AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2011-11-17, 20:14   Link #1
DXMichael
Psycho Falling Deep

Animes With A Confident/Not To Be Messed With Main Character

Hey everyone.

Over the course of the time I have spent watching animes, I constantly see the main characters usually get bossed around, treated like crap, taunted etc by other side characters and accept how their life is. Then halfway through or near the end of the anime they eventually stand up for themselves and say what they think etc.

I guess what i'm trying to say is that I like main characters that are confident and stand up for themselves straight away instead of taking the beatings they usually get from side characters.

I was hoping that I could get a recommendations on animes that have main characters like that at the start of the anime. Any responses will be appreciated.

However, if you can't think of anything similar to that, I wouldn't mind if someone suggested an anime that pretty much has what I explained in the first few sentences where eventually the main character stands up for himself/herself halfway through or near the end of the anime, as I love seeing those sort of things
Old 2011-11-17, 21:43   Link #2
Beryl Black
Potential Spammer
*Artist

I'd personally recommend;

Code Geass: Lelouch Of The Rebellion
Consist of as you may of guessed it, a character named Lelouch, a prince rejected of his noble title due his concern over his fathers actions on his attack on Japan, and the event it lead to; Making his sister wheel-chair bound. The story line centers around Lelouch in his high school years, plotting to take down his father and restore what was once Japan. His personality is a rather cunning one, involving mischievous schemes leading up to the grand finale~ - The show centers around terrorism, a race issue, and the power of kings; other wise known as Geass.

Black Cat: Is about a young but confident assassin named Train Heartnet who leaves a group known as Chronos in order to pursue a better life; inspired by his friend Saya. He eventually finds himself joined up with a man named Sven Vollfied, a former FBI agent. A young girl named Eve, an artificial human who'm was created to be the first line of super solider. Another girl known as Rinslet Walker, a world class thief. The group travels around taking on assassin jobs, all while in pursuit to stop Creed, the man responsible for Saya's death.

Clannad: Is about a delinquent named Okazaki Tomoya, a teenager from a broken home and a bad past. Tomoya was originally going through life thinking little purpose of it, until he encounters a girl on the side of the road muttering to herself, after a brief encounter the girl who reveals her name to be Nagisa, claims the two are friends. Tomoya's life then alters as he finds himself helping girls he befriends along the way, along with helping Nagisa achieve her goal; To open a drama club. Tomoya is a rather easy going person, who gets serious when the situation calls for it, as well maintaining a good sense of humor which you'll see in the series. - Truly a tear jerker.

Last edited by Beryl Black; 2011-11-17 at 22:09. Reason: Thought of more.
Beryl Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-17, 22:53   Link #3
Desu
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Here are a few that I think would fit your description:

The Prince of Tennis: The series is primarily set in Tokyo, and centers around Ryoma Echizen, a tennis prodigy who attends Seishun Academy, a private school famous for its strong tennis club and talented players. Ryoma quickly defeats numerous upperclassmen shortly after entrance to secure himself a spot as one of the team's regulars.

Katanagatari: The story of Yasuri Shichika, a swordsman that fights without a sword, and Togame, an ambitious strategist that seeks to collect twelve legendary swords for the shogunate. The son of an exiled war hero, Yasuri Shichika is the seventh head of the Kyotoryuu school of fighting and lives on isolated Fushou Island with his sister. At a request from the female general Togame, Shichika and Togame set out on a journey across Edo-era Japan to collect the twelve Deviant Blades.

Ichiban Ushiro no Dai Maō: This story of "love, magic, and battles" revolves around Akuto Sai, a boy who aims to become part of his country's highest order of magicians and contribute to society as one of its clergy. On the day he is admitted into the Constan Magical Academy, his aptitude test predicts the following: "Future Occupation: Demon King." Thus begins his severe school life in which he is resented by his studious female class head, desired by a girl with mysterious powers, and guarded by a beautiful female android.
Old 2011-11-17, 23:10   Link #4
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Seconding Ichiban aka Demon King Daimao.

The World God Only Knows Keima, a galge game addict winds up helping drive out evil spirits from girls using his video game knowledge. His interactions with his ditzy partner, a "new devil" called Elsie are priceless. That and her love for fire engines. Keima is quite manipulative, and doesn't really much care for what most 3D girls think about it. 2D on the other hand...

Full Metal Panic The hero, Sousuke Sagarra, does get beat up quite a bit but it is almost always because he's a mercenary used to dealing with terrorists and the miltitary, and he does things that are really odd at school. He is quite confident in his abilities though and his catchphrase is "Not a problem."
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-17, 23:26   Link #5
mecharobot

To mention a few:

Fist of the North Star - You can't get more confident than that.

Kaze no Yojimbo - A vagabond plays around with two mob families.

Berserk - No hesitation, much like in Fist.

Hellsing - Again, an OP lead.

Darker than Black - Once again. The lead is a man of skill to begin with.

Akagi - A self aware genius.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes - Huge ambition and a main who isn't afraid to reach for it.
mecharobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-18, 00:37   Link #6
Elegance

Seconding Ichiban and The World Got Only Knows

Beezlebub
Tears Of Tiara
Chromed Shelled Regios
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Mobile Suit Gundam 00
Heroic Age
One Piece
Samurai X Trust And Betrayal
Elegance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-18, 08:24   Link #7
DXMichael
Psycho Falling Deep

Wow, so many suggestions. Thanks everyone, i'll be sure to get to these right away
Old 2011-11-18, 08:45   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Pretty much all males, I believe. How about some ladies?

Balsa - Seirei no Moribito
Revy - Black Lagoon
Clare and Teresa - Claymore
"Isako" - Dennou Coil
Shurrei - Saiunkoku Monogatari
Rin - Mnemosyne

And one more guy:

Chiaki - Nodame Cantabile

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2011-11-18 at 11:27. Reason: Added Mnemosyne, Nodame, and a couple of ANN links
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-18, 10:37   Link #9
kitten320

Does it matter if it is a girl or boy?

Boys:
From what I remeber character from 07-Ghost didn't like to be bossed around.

Main hero from Angel Beats had his own believes that he followed.

Rin from Ao no Exorcist barely gives a damn about anything.

Baccano has bunch of main character and everyone are unique in their own way.

Berserk works both with both girls/guys. Every character is strong and doesn't plan to take shit.

Busou Renkin also has 2 strong mains.

Code Geass has Lelouch who likes to manipulate.

Girls:
Bamboo Blade has a lot of female characters who will stand up for themselves.

Chrno Cursade has a strong female character.

Not a single character will take shit in their adreess in Claymore.

I'll leave it at that for now.
Old 2011-11-18, 13:03   Link #10
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Look to the avatar - Cross Game. Kitamura Kou is quietly GAR and takes no BS from anybody without being an A-hole about it. If you're ant-sports series, don't worry - the baseball - while good - is secondary to the character development.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-18, 18:23   Link #11
Eragon
Still Alive

Here are my recommendations, although most have already been mentioned.

GunXSword
Berserk
Darker than Black
Samurai Deeper Kyo
Black Cat
Hellsing
Kaze no Stigma
Samurai Champloo
Old 2011-11-18, 18:43   Link #12
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Seikon no Qwasar - Main dude is 13 and he has a hot older girl falling for him and doesn't let anyone walk over him.

Darker Than Black - Secret agent main character with an agenda and he's feared among the government and the police alike.

Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari - Main dude is a eccentric but unique individual who's talented in alot of things, and he has plenty of girl falling for him too boot. To put it simply...he rocks.
Old 2011-11-18, 21:51   Link #13
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Cardfight Vanguard - Toshiki Kai, Aichi... not until at least Episode 42.
Old 2013-01-03, 14:14   Link #14
gahban

Hagure Yuusha no Estetica
Shura No Toki
Shadow Skill
Gundam Wing
Spiral
Deadman Wonderland- He was weak at first but grew fast!
Demon King Daimao
Outlaw Star
Yu Yu Hakusho
Strait Jacket
Gun X Sword
Fairy Tale
Getbackers
Tokyo Underground
Blassreiter
Basalisk
Tiger & Bunny
Desert Punk
Bastard
Tenchi Muyo War on Geminar
Sword Art Online
gahban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-03, 21:20   Link #15
kevinocarro

The group travels around taking on assassin jobs, all while in pursuit to stop Creed, the man responsible for Saya's death.
Old 2013-01-03, 22:10   Link #16
Traece
:cool:

Hah. This list is getting really long. I think part of the issue is that those weaker characters tend to be younger. If you watch an anime where the main character is of a much younger age it's very likely that he'll end up being whiny and weak. The more highschool age characters tend to be a bit stronger, but sometimes they aren't. 2012 anime had that trend pop up again with a couple shows.

What you want to look for are anime descriptions that mention a character being "thrown into," or "must learn." Those kinds of implications that the MC is entering unknown territory. If that implication is paired with a young MC, you have a high chance of him being a pretty pathetic guy. Especially if he has self-esteem issues.

The main reason why I give this advice is because when I look at my list thinking I'll have to pick out those "strong MC" animes, I realized that I was having to figure out which ones had weak MCs.

So let's say that you maybe like younger characters who do end up in unfamiliar territory and end up being stronger for it. Here I have some more specific recommendations like Gad Guard, Air Gear, Seikai no Monshou/Senki (adults, however), Mobile Suit Gundam (which is the original), Last Exile, Kamisama no Memochou, Gunslinger Girl (although it's kind of reversed here. The newbie is an adult being thrown into a world of children), and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Also obligatory Natsume Yuujinchou plug because it's a favorite of mine.