AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2006-07-27, 22:44   Link #1
Shirobane
Haruhiism Worshipper

Talking Heavy Gear/Heavy Gear II

Anyone remember this pair of relatively "old" games? Strangely enough it was an episode of Keroro Gunso (38) coupled with a "last millenium" game craving that reminded me of these gems of mech sims.

On another note, both games are discontinued, but does anyone know where to grab a copy of it (in particular HG II)?
Shirobane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-28, 17:19   Link #2
alpha3six
913-D

I still play Heavy Gear 2 once in a while. I personally think it's the best sim for capturing the feel of anime mecha combat since there's an emphasis on maneuverability and marksmanship versus the brute force hit points (yeah, armor points) based approach of Battletech and Mechwarrior.

You can still find HG2 on ebay. Virtually no one plays it online anymore since the official servers are long dead and you can't use TCP/IP. There are new host files that allow you to play on some private servers that are still operational but they're pretty much empty.
alpha3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-29, 12:15   Link #3
Shirobane
Haruhiism Worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha3six
I still play Heavy Gear 2 once in a while. I personally think it's the best sim for capturing the feel of anime mecha combat since there's an emphasis on maneuverability and marksmanship versus the brute force hit points (yeah, armor points) based approach of Battletech and Mechwarrior.

You can still find HG2 on ebay. Virtually no one plays it online anymore since the official servers are long dead and you can't use TCP/IP. There are new host files that allow you to play on some private servers that are still operational but they're pretty much empty.
hmm I'll have a look on ebay. I know of a few friends who still play and they setup games over the internet through Hamachi.

Too bad the fanbase is so small, maybe if HG2 were promoted alongside shows like say...Full Metal Panic...it might get a good response from this forum
Old 2006-07-29, 20:08   Link #4
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
i really liked HG2 it was great, my copy of HG2 disappeared along time ago, now a days i play the Armoured core series, but it's not the same on a console...

I might buy another one if i can find it.

Mind you though, i don't think it'll work on my computer as im running 64-bit Windows Pro, or even on windows XP. so I dunno if i can justify setting up my pc to run win98 just to play this game.

Old 2006-07-30, 00:34   Link #5
Shirobane
Haruhiism Worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO
i really liked HG2 it was great, my copy of HG2 disappeared along time ago, now a days i play the Armoured core series, but it's not the same on a console...

I might buy another one if i can find it.

Mind you though, i don't think it'll work on my computer as im running 64-bit Windows Pro, or even on windows XP. so I dunno if i can justify setting up my pc to run win98 just to play this game.

Well there's two ways about that. XP comes with a compatibility mode so you don't have to setup a seperate 98 based machine to play. Secondly, I hear of a patch that allows it to run on XP.

So...have your cake and eat it too?
Old 2006-07-30, 03:27   Link #6
alpha3six
913-D

It works for me on XP Service Pack 2, though I think this kind of stuff depends on your specific setup.
Old 2006-07-30, 10:35   Link #7
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Well i don't have any decent gaming pc that runs Windows XP pro 32bit in my house.

I got five pc's and only one of them is capable of playing any games and it has windows XP 64bit. the others are just simply communication portals for the rest of the family.

As for the patchm it's for the linux version, couldn't find one for windows.
Old 2006-07-30, 13:15   Link #8
alpha3six
913-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO
I got five pc's and only one of them is capable of playing any games and it has windows XP 64bit. the others are just simply communication portals for the rest of the family.
I remember HG2 running perfectly fine on a 16MB Nvidia TNT back in the day.

I one tried the demo on an old AMD K6-2 with an 8mb Matrox G100... now that was "interesting."
Old 2007-12-01, 16:10   Link #9
Zellfaze

There is a patch that allows the game to work in windows XP, I used to have it, sadly I lost it when I got my new computer. Then when Kronstadt (aka Revel) disappeared, SKK the site I got it from went down. I am currently looking for the patch again, and if I find it I will post a link.
Zellfaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-03, 01:16   Link #10
Jays

I remember when I was playing this on my old ATI RAGE PRO.

Good times. I got it because it look liked Mech Warrior, and heck that was the bomb back then. The giant mech fighting era of PC gaming. I kinda miss it now.
Jays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-03, 01:29   Link #11
dodgethis_sg
Storm of Her Wrath

HACs and VHACs, your best friends.
dodgethis_sg is offline   Reply With Quote