AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-11-23, 13:14   Link #1041
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Semi-rant ahead:

Three episodes out of 13 used to develop chars that aren't even important to the story. The only thing they have accomplished is telling Cecily that someone gave them the demon swords, but it's obvious from the very first episode that there is some sinister force out there doing something evil, so it doesn't come to much surprise that they were being used(though it DOES answer the question as to how stragglers from an Empire came to possess powerful weapons, not to mention
Spoiler for speculation:
). Basically, the story hasn't gone anywhere. Luke and Lisa are still doing the same thing as the first episode, but at least Cecily is improving with Aria some, which i think'll be crucial when they depart to fight, search for whatever, and/or get revenge(haven't read the novels, but they HAVE to in order for the story to advance as there is no way ALL the story events are going to come to them).

Cecily doesn't even feel like an important part of the story; she doesn't have any motivations outside "protect the citizens of the city" motif, and that just justifies the basic monster-of-the-week formula from the first 3 episodes. At least Luke has some motivations that might bring some good story to this series, as i'm sure once he finds what he's looking for, he'll set out to wherever to get his revenge, and chances are it has something to do with the evil that's plaguing the land. Who he's after, what exactly does he want to accomplish; these are all reasons why people are interested in him. If we leave it to Cecily alone, she will do nothing but remain in the city fighting random bad guys/monsters, and no one wants to see that. If they aren't going to focus on Luke, hopefully Aria will give Cecily new motivation to find answers to Aria's existence, and at least make some decent story before this is all over.

Well, the action in this episode was choreographed VERY nicely and fluid, esp the Doris/Cecily one. It was somehow refreshing to see the girls writhe in pain after such minor stab injuries, which kinda shows they are actually younger girls that are not oblivious to pain(many times such injuries are brushed off very easily). i hope they can keep that up in those human vs human moments in the future. And was I the only one confused at the part were Margot found the egg? I couldn't tell the diff btw Margot and Cecily .

Last edited by frubam; 2009-11-23 at 13:32.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-23, 16:08   Link #1042
HandofFate

lol I laughed at the translation of:

Cecily: "I am ******* stupid!"

XD
Old 2009-11-23, 17:23   Link #1043
Cyrus17
Impostor Cutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Do you want us to apologize for wanting to see a certain character or something?
That was a joke btw (and it's worked ). On a serious note, try to find even a single message of mine where I complain about one or another character. On the other hand, there're like 10 people here who constantly write about the show not being exactly the same as they imagined. Not my favorite attitude...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procris View Post
Then again, judging from your posts so far, its clear what you want from this anime and why you'd ignore anyone who wants to know more about a character that we don't know much about.
Tbh, I didn't like how authors handled the plot in eps. 1-3 at all. The plot itself seemed quite mediocre to me. That's why I was kinda glad when they threw those four fanservice/moeblob episodes of very good quality. Also, despite moeblob, we've got some decent storytelling in the episodes past introduction, in ep.4 especially, and in 5 and 8 too, so now we have very interesting situation at hand. I'd described it like this, very loosely of course:
  • There is a force in the world, let's call it "demons", which threatens the very existence of humankind; and though there's no war right now, it's obvious that the state of balance is temporary.
  • Human knight Cecily Cambell became the wielder of demon sword Aria, a very powerfull artefact which can tip balance of power within human faction, and maybe even between humans and demons.
  • Cecily became obsessed with "protect everyone, nobody should die" idea, and thus became "a force in itself", an independent force.
  • Cecily is somewhat "passive" force, but we have an active principle just here at hand - it's Luke. And don't forget that he and Lisa can also augment the power of Cecily and Aria even further.
Imo a very nice premise, from which very interesting development of events can follow. I'm anxious to see what will happen when events will start to cascade and what decisions Cecily will take (it's she, not Luke who will decide the outcome, IMO).

Also, what's with those 12 episodes? It's clearly not enough! Give more!
Black Seppuku Bunny:
- Want us to help you?
Harakiri Tiger:
- We'd be happy to take a piece.
Natsuru:
- Can you even digest it with your guts hanging out like that?
Cyrus17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-23, 17:35   Link #1044
scr
my sides are in orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
I seriously can't believe they spelled "believe" wrong. Dear god, it takes two seconds to look up in a dictionary....
As much as that is an example of Gratuitous English, it's meant to be that way. You can't guard/save/avenge anyone when you're dead. (Maybe all Cambells are pro-life people.)

"Fear Death... but fight it!" *imagines Hannibal as a DoW1 commissar*
If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.
scr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-23, 17:46   Link #1045
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Im starting to lose my interest in the story which is a shame because it fun. Its just the direction seems to be all over the place and no progress seems to have been made even at this point in the series. Im not going to drop it but im not going to rush to download the episode anymore. Even though Cecliy made excellent progress in episode 8 with her combat abilities i just was not that into it and thats usual my sign to either move on or be a little more patient.
Old 2009-11-23, 18:00   Link #1046
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Well , its not that the anime isn't good , it's promising but they spend too much time about charlotte imo .
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-23, 18:23   Link #1047
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
Well , its not that the anime isn't good , it's promising but they spend too much time about charlotte imo .
Exactly. Its called "The Sacred Blacksmith" and the blacksmith barely has any air time.
Old 2009-11-23, 19:08   Link #1048
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Hence our time with him is sacred!

It really makes sense when you think about it.

Episode was OK, but I needs to watch it again since i was quite distracted. Couple funny moments in there despite it feeling a bit downer 90% of the time.
Old 2009-11-23, 19:09   Link #1049
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
The problem is promising only gets you so far after a while you have to start showing the audience a reason to stick with the show. If its not properly executed then you will lose viewers. There is only so many times i can laugh about Cecily's breast jokes. Its time to start moving into the core of the story. However when Charlotte left she mentioned the Siegfried had set the whole thing up im hoping this will jump start the series again for me.
Old 2009-11-23, 19:19   Link #1050
RGB

Cecily's newfound competence was hilariously over-the-top. I wonder how long it will take her to pay for all the collateral damage. A few weeks of hard labor would do young Miss Cambell some good and maybe keep her from moralizing all the damn time.

As for Charlotte, I'm glad to see her go. She was an annoying character with a sob story that failed to evoke much sympathy from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwei View Post
It's because Luke is the only decent male character in this show.
Hannibal would like a word with you.
Of course, anyone who tells Cecily to shut up while men talk about realpolitik is okay in my book.
RGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-23, 22:45   Link #1051
velvet nightmare

i dont get why they didn't just stay in the city, they managed to say their farewells after the empire left???

obv none of them caught on to the fact that the empire didnt give a shit whether they were dead or a live and just wanted the swords
velvet nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-23, 22:50   Link #1052
TrueKnight

I actually thought the episode was good..... and rather enjoyed it. Nice seeing Cecily being badass and using swift tactics owning the trio one at the time. I also like the choices they give on either surrendering or defecting, you cant make everyone happy but just have to choose.

Too bad no screentime on Luke. Some of us watch this show for sake of badass male lead, uber knights aka Hannibal and progression on the story. The moe and girl parts were supposed to be only bonus or added-value of the show. Just give me Luke, Hannibal, the cocky kinght more screentime kicking serious and major ass in later eps then I'm cool.
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-23, 23:33   Link #1053
Bathausai
Battous-Justu

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueKnight View Post
I actually thought the episode was good..... and rather enjoyed it. Nice seeing Cecily being badass and using swift tactics owning the trio one at the time. I also like the choices they give on either surrendering or defecting, you cant make everyone happy but just have to choose.

Too bad no screentime on Luke. Some of us watch this show for sake of badass male lead, uber knights aka Hannibal and progression on the story. The moe and girl parts were supposed to be only bonus or added-value of the show. Just give me Luke, Hannibal, the cocky kinght more screentime kicking serious and major ass in later eps then I'm cool.
Hahaha actually this episode i didnt mind Luke not having much of screen time since i was getting tired of him saving Cecily every episode so its a nice change of i guess scene. It just shows that Cecily isnt has weak and powerless as she seemed to be in the earlier episodes
Bathausai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-24, 00:36   Link #1054
Scampi

Spoiler for Episode 9 Preview:
Scampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-24, 02:30   Link #1055
Guppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet nightmare View Post
i dont get why they didn't just stay in the city, they managed to say their farewells after the empire left???

obv none of them caught on to the fact that the empire didnt give a shit whether they were dead or a live and just wanted the swords
They probably could have stayed on if they kept their heads down, but they'd still be in a precarious position if the Empire ever decided to clean up loose ends. An "independent trade town" just doesn't have the military might to say "yeah, they're living here, so what? Get lost, you can't have them."

Signing up with an opposing power is a bigger leap, but in the long run it offers more protection if Charlotte and her gang can establish themselves there.
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-24, 02:41   Link #1056
chaos_animagic

Also... didn't anyone notice that the 4 girls didn't have any money? (They only gave them some food to go...)
How are they going to survive? Caveman style hunting in the wild while sheltering in caves?

___ ___ ___ ___ ___

BTW... the show is getting a bit boring... cause at the beginning, I had thought the show's going to be about "the Blacksmith"...

Which is Luke... but 90% of the time it's focused on Cecily and other one-time characters...

(Wanted to see Luke bust out crazy Katana weapons and go pwn some bad guys)

___ ___ ___ ___ ___

And I also think of the empire were very wrong and greedy... someone should overthrown them or something...
And yea... they didn't give a shit about dead or alive... they just wanted the swords... (You know.. if it was me, I would just wield the 5 demon sword and go on a killing spree, LOL - could probably take out an entire army with just 2 of those Demon Swords... Duel Wield the Earth and Wind sword, WUAHAHAHA)

___ ___ ___ ___ ___

About the ep 9 preview, I donno... they don't look similar at all (especially a certain facial feature)
chaos_animagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-24, 02:49   Link #1057
Nosauz

decent, hope that twist about them demon swords will actually be interesting.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-24, 03:17   Link #1058
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Oh lord. I can just imagine it now. Demon swords all turning into humans just like in the newest storyarc of Bleach.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-24, 03:45   Link #1059
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Okay I take back what I said before. This isn't a generic fantasy. This is far too bad to be a generic fantasy.

[edit]

Lol, looks like I touched a nerve.

Last edited by Haak; 2009-11-24 at 04:59.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-24, 05:17   Link #1060
scr
my sides are in orbit

The thing that made me headdesk about this episode is, that Housman should have interrogated Charlotte and her angels. It seemed that Charlotte didn't tell Cecily or anyone else from the municipal about the origin of their Demon Swords. If only she told them, Housman and Hannibal could have worked out a solution that doesn't involve trumping on Charlotte's pride. Heck, they can even gain favor from the Empire for "aiding in bringing back the stolen Demon Swords". Personally i don't think that is a morally correct decision, seeing how the Empire has bad reputation. But, hey, politicking.

And yes, i want Luke to have more airtime. xD
If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.
scr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, fantasy, shounen