AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-11-01, 00:18   Link #161
tyciol
*Artist

So what did happen to the forum this used to have?
tyciol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 21:27   Link #162
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
So, necro thread is necro...

I cannot believe I posted in this topic last six years ago this month. I don't know why I was thinking about this series today, but I just skimmed through the first episode and remembered how much I absolutely loved this series. The relationship amongst the Casull siblings is so great to watch.

I've known for a long time that there are light novels and a manga of Scrapped Princess. I had skimmed through a manga volume before and wasn't particularly keen on the art. Does anyone know much about the light novels? I kinda want to get them. I was reading the Wikipedia entry for Scrapped Princess today and I gathered that the novels were slightly different, with, for example, the Casull parents playing a larger role.

Like my post six years ago said, I did rewatch the series a few times in the last few years and I always love it the same. I am amazed that this series wasn't more popular. Maybe I am unusual in this respect, but I think it had one of the best stories I've ever seen in an anime over my 15+ years of watching anime.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-23, 16:12   Link #163
Drkz
( ゚∀゚)アハハ八八ノヽノヽノヽノ \ / \/

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post

I cannot believe I posted in this topic last six years ago this month. I don't know why I was thinking about this series today, but I just skimmed through the first episode and remembered how much I absolutely loved this series. The relationship amongst the Casull siblings is so great to watch.

I've known for a long time that there are light novels and a manga of Scrapped Princess. I had skimmed through a manga volume before and wasn't particularly keen on the art. Does anyone know much about the light novels? I kinda want to get them. I was reading the Wikipedia entry for Scrapped Princess today and I gathered that the novels were slightly different, with, for example, the Casull parents playing a larger role.

Like my post six years ago said, I did rewatch the series a few times in the last few years and I always love it the same. I am amazed that this series wasn't more popular. Maybe I am unusual in this respect, but I think it had one of the best stories I've ever seen in an anime over my 15+ years of watching anime.
Your not wrong. Finding a good story is really rare these days. Its next to impossible. Most studios are focused on selling it quick and fast. Lots of merchandise and bonuses.. so the story tends to suffer. If you liked the story you should check out the novel or the author's new work.
Old 2013-05-21, 07:00   Link #164
Saber Cherry
Marionette

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post

I read the first light novel and it was not nearly as good as the anime. The anime's just spectacular.

I can't really point to one with a better story, but Seirei no Moribito also had a very strong story. With, in fact, some similarities (bodyguard theme). You should try it if you haven't.

Stories are hard to develop in 13-ep series which are all the rage these days; the most they can do is develop characters. Back when animation was cheaper, there were more long, story-driven productions like 12 Kingdoms.
Old 2013-05-21, 07:31   Link #165
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Yeah. This series is truly awesome. And more importantly, the story has “a heart”. Love the Casull siblings. One of the best fictional families out there.
Old 2013-05-21, 16:07   Link #166
VTHokiePride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber Cherry View Post
I read the first light novel and it was not nearly as good as the anime. The anime's just spectacular.

I can't really point to one with a better story, but Seirei no Moribito also had a very strong story. With, in fact, some similarities (bodyguard theme). You should try it if you haven't.

Stories are hard to develop in 13-ep series which are all the rage these days; the most they can do is develop characters. Back when animation was cheaper, there were more long, story-driven productions like 12 Kingdoms.
Agreed. 13 episodes isn't enough to develop a new storyline. This was one of the first animes I've watched and remains as one of the best I've seen.
Old 2013-05-21, 19:50   Link #167
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Yeah. This series is truly awesome. And more importantly, the story has “a heart”. Love the Casull siblings. One of the best fictional families out there.
I agree.

I've been taking my latest re-watch fairly slowly (one episode per day, if that). Watched the penultimate episode tonight. Obviously, I know what happens, but it is still such a shock.

Raquel is my favorite character overall. I wish she'd had a larger role, but I guess the amount of time she got was appropriate for her place in the grand scheme of things.

The other thing about the story is that it's surprisingly mature (or maybe "for an audience that can think a little more deeply than you'd first expect"). Pacifica constantly struggling with the idea of whether it's better for her to be alive or dead is one of the best-executed more mature themes I've ever seen in an anime. It breaks my heart every time to hear her say
Spoiler for nothing major, but for the benefit of those who haven't seen this series:

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, adventure, fantasy, shounen