AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Sword Art Online - Episode 22 Rating
10 out of 10 : Near Perfect... 71 47.97%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 39 26.35%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 18 12.16%
7 out of 10 : Good... 9 6.08%
6 out of 10 : Average... 2 1.35%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 1 0.68%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 3 2.03%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 2 1.35%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 1 0.68%
1 out of 10 : Torturous... 2 1.35%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-12-01, 00:39   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Sword Art Online - Episode 22 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Sword Art Online, Episode 22.

Grand Quest - グランド・クエスト ~ Grand Quest

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Kairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 01:43   Link #2
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
*Drinks anti-cardiac medications and prepares a box of tissue...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 04:22   Link #3
Insane
Banned

Kirito . . . the day where you have to reveal your secret for Leefa should just come already, i,ve got enough of this obliviousness contest.
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 09:28   Link #4
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Thread will be flooding of posts by tomorrow.. must sleep early.. Night!!!

Kirito you.. you...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 10:30   Link #5
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

It's END CARD TIME!

Images
End Card
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Also, this entire episode can be summed up with two words.

Spoiler for The words are two:

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 10:47   Link #6
Rakshasa

Now that kinda blew up.
Old 2012-12-01, 11:17   Link #7
Miraluka
Banned

And this is why I really hate adding more girls that falls for the MC when there is a couple already , even if the new girls are better than the main main girl coughZeronoTsukamacough.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 11:38   Link #8
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Well, one of the things about having all these girls fall for Kirito is that despite the women who willingly throw themselves at his feet, Kirito's LOYALTY lies only with Asuna.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 11:45   Link #9
ellessarr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
And this is why I really hate adding more girls that falls for the MC when there is a couple already , even if the new girls are better than the main main girl coughZeronoTsukamacough.
i agree this is the only thing i hate on this anime, why making girls falling for him to in the end they get heartbreak, this is only 1 fo the many reasons i hate "harem" animes,(mc totally idiot who keep making girls falling for him but total oblivius to this, or mc who never can choose because is a half womanizer "can't say no to a girl even if already in love for other", MC who let girls do anything they want even if him dont want because he "dont have the balls to say no", Mc with chikening girls sick) i stoped to watch this anime in the end of the first arc, and what i get from the LN only get even worst on romance ground, on the futures arcs, why the author make Asuna the main girl and only real love interest for kirito if him gona keep throwing more and more girls just to give him a "false harem" with many womans in love with him but in the end he aways only love asuna, and how kirito is so a "dense guy" to no see the chikens keep falling for him.

for the romance part i give 0 to this whole second i'm just waiting to watch the last 2 episodes where really the things gona happen for me on this arc
ellessarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 11:50   Link #10
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Well, one of the things about having all these girls fall for Kirito is that despite the women who willingly throw themselves at his feet, Kirito's LOYALTY lies only with Asuna.
Pointless when the formula is gonna be used with more and more new female characters, we know that Kirito is loyal then why making these poor girls to fall for him? =___=;

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellessarr View Post
i agree this is the only thing i hate on this anime, why making girls falling for him to in the end they get heartbreak, this is only 1 fo the many reasons i hate "harem" animes,(mc totally idiot who keep making girls falling for him but total oblivius to this, or mc who never can choose because is a half womanizer "can't say no to a girl even if already in love for other", MC who let girls do anything they want even if him dont want because he "dont have the balls to say no", Mc with chikening girls sick) i stoped to watch this anime in the end of the first arc, and what i get from the LN only get even worst on romance ground, on the futures arcs, why the author make Asuna the main girl and only real love interest for kirito if him gona keep throwing more and more girls just to give him a "false harem" with many womans in love with him but in the end he aways only love asuna, and how kirito is so a "dense guy" to no see the chikens keep falling for him.

for the romance part i give 0 to this whole second i'm just waiting to watch the last 2 episodes where really the things gona happen for me on this arc
Errrr... NO.

I do watch harem anime, and depending on how is the mc portrayed I can overlook his obliviousness when there is no obvious choose for a girl, thus the spectator can root for one of the girls.

But here in SAO, its damn obvious who is: Asuna. Same for Zero no Tsukaima: Louise. Yet the keep throwing more girls for the MC. Heck, even 2chan and many other sites feels sorry for Suguha...

That is what I hate. This is why I consider ALO a failure regarding character relations... and plot too (mind previous dumb villains).
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 12:00   Link #11
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

There we go... *sigh*, well it was a sinking ship right from the get go, and surely nothing is surprising, although it still leave me a very bad aftertaste that the author had to use such ploy to bring drama that shouldn't be brought to be begin with.

Really, Suguha as a character isn't really a problem (I actually prefer her over Asuna), and the fact she doesn't get Kazuto's romantic attention isn't an issue either.
Simply, having her dragged in the love equation, using the generic "non blood related sister" device, and wrecking the character twice in a row doesn't bode too well: not only it basically reduces the said character into an one sided romantic foil that had no chance to begin with, but it also tries to stuff drama that not only has little substance in term of narrative, but hurts the momentum big time.

Really, it isn't like Kawahara needed to pull the romance over there, and so forth, he could potentially just put more emphasis on Kazuto's quest of "freeing" Asuna. Heck, even Suguha could be used as a real sister who discovers her brother's devotion to maximum extent. But instead, we got a sledgehammer double one sided triangle that literally lead to an unsighlty "look, she had no chance, and now she is crushed!" scene. In fact, the author had to go with the "cruelest" way for her to discover, instead of... let's say Suguha barging in Kazuto's room and finding out the nervegear along with ALO. Truly, I still have little to no idea why it had to come for that kind of plot device.
And no, there was no need to add girls left and right to emphasis Kazuto's love for Asuna at all: having him pouring all his efforts to find clues for Asuna's whereabouts would be quite enough, pretty much a man on his mission (which hardly was shown once we got in ALO, until Yui found out Asuna's ID). Instead of having an extensive narrative on his desperate attempts to find her, they had to make him enjoy the game a bit, while pushing Leefa and other girls... That's flat out unecessary.

The fun fact is that as ALO Kirito, Kazuto figured out Leefa's feelings when she was about to confess, but for "some reason", he thinks Suguha is upset because he was wearing the nervgear once again.

Combining this with Sugou's parodic evilness, and surely ALO has little to no appealing aspect compared to SAO arc, save perhaps the sceneries and... "fanservice" for some. And speaking of fanservice, I can't help but notice emphasis on Leefa's "assets", albeit not as exaggerated as in Episode 20. Well, not like it wasn't the case over the course of this arc anyway.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2012-12-01 at 12:23.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 12:41   Link #12
Yusei Fudo
Banned

This is why I hate it when MC gets a girlfriend so early in the series and keep going and then more girls are thrown at him and only to be rejected and heartbroken...

Poor Suguha............ ;~;

WHY KIRITO WHY?!!

SCREW U ASUNA GO AWAY D:<
Yusei Fudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 12:50   Link #13
ellessarr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusei Fudo View Post
This is why I hate it when MC gets a girlfriend so early in the series and keep going and then more girls are thrown at him and only to be rejected and heartbroken...

Poor Suguha............ ;~;

WHY KIRITO WHY?!!

SCREW U ASUNA GO AWAY D:<
it's not Asuna's fault it's author fault to make kirito being a oblivion MC who is totally unable to see a girl fall for him and being too much "ladiesman", what the problem if when him go to another world and start to get alone with a girl and say to her first who he already have a girlfriend??? instead of keep it a secret(not because he being bad or pervert but because he think "no others girls gona fall for me and for this i dont need say who i already have a girlfriend"), this reason when romance come i prefer animes like chuniibyou, hyouka, kioukay senjou no horizon, fairy tail, because they dont need all girls fall in love to mc to show gorgogenous girls.

Last edited by ellessarr; 2012-12-01 at 13:05.
Old 2012-12-01, 13:10   Link #14
Rakshasa

Quote:
it's not Asuna's fault it's author fault to make kirito being a oblivion MC who is totally unable to see a girl fall for him and being too much "ladiesman", what the problem if when him go to another world and start to get alone with a girl and say to her first who he already have a girlfriend??? instead of keep it a secret(not because he being bad or pervert but because he think "no others girls gona fall for me and for this i dont need say who i already have a girlfriend"), this reason when romance come i prefer animes like chuniibyou, hyouka, kioukay senjou no horizon, fairy tail, because they dont need all girls fall in love to mc to show gorgogenous girls.
It's her own damn fault for not asking if there's a 'mama' involved also when Yui keeps saying 'papa'.
Old 2012-12-01, 13:46   Link #15
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakshasa View Post
It's her own damn fault for not asking if there's a 'mama' involved also when Yui keeps saying 'papa'.
I'll have to check again, but I'm pretty sure she even referred to "Mama" directly a few times, and at the end of Episode 20 she told Kirito not to "cheat". I guess Leefa just didn't really understand what Yui's comments were supposed to mean (or that they should be taken at face value). The true depth of connection that Kirito had to "Mama" probably wasn't clear until she realized who Kirito and "Mama" were. So I don't really "blame" her... but at the same time, the hints were there. As Klashikari alluded to, from her perspective, it probably didn't help that Kazuto/Kirito had so quickly "friendzoned" (sister-zoned?) her and they were getting along so well. It played perfectly well into the scenario she wanted to have play out, even though there too hints were dropped that he didn't see her that way.

In the end, this sort of heartbreak is always the result of some degree of mutual misunderstanding anyway. I can understand people who don't like the fact that it was written this way... but personally I don't mind it.
Old 2012-12-01, 13:47   Link #16
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat

We all knew what was coming, and we knew it wouldn't go down easy. Suguha found out the hard way that she wasn't going to win in either world.
pagan poor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 14:00   Link #17
ellessarr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I'll have to check again, but I'm pretty sure she even referred to "Mama" directly a few times, and at the end of Episode 20 she told Kirito not to "cheat". I guess Leefa just didn't really understand what Yui's comments were supposed to mean (or that they should be taken at face value). The true depth of connection that Kirito had to "Mama" probably wasn't clear until she realized who Kirito and "Mama" were. So I don't really "blame" her... but at the same time, the hints were there. As Klashikari alluded to, from her perspective, it probably didn't help that Kazuto/Kirito had so quickly "friendzoned" (sister-zoned?) her and they were getting along so well. It played perfectly well into the scenario she wanted to have play out, even though there too hints were dropped that he didn't see her that way.

In the end, this sort of heartbreak is always the result of some degree of mutual misunderstanding anyway. I can understand people who don't like the fact that it was written this way... but personally I don't mind it.
mine personal problem is the author gona do this repetitively on each new world/arc, aways gona be: kirito find a new game then gona get separated from asuna then a new girl pop up and gona fall for him while he total oblivious to this then in the end the girl gona find who he already deeply in love with other girl and gona heartbreak, a very repetitious plot like the author is unable to do anything different from that.
Old 2012-12-01, 14:21   Link #18
Divini
Senpai!

Watching this ep, I was thinking "Goooo Kirito, save your wife!" while at the same time "Let me punch your face in just this once, okay?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
It's END CARD TIME!

Images
End Card
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Spoiler for Accel World:
Divini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 14:30   Link #19
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

*cries* nooo suguuuuu, that's a really harsh way to learn about the truth, given how hard she had tried to just bring him out of the "dungeon" and revive him. Poor girl, though she had guts to come out and say all that. I'm glad she did though
Old 2012-12-01, 14:30   Link #20
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
mine personal problem is the author gona do this repetitively on each new world/arc, aways gona be: kirito find a new game then gona get separated from asuna then a new girl pop up and gona fall for him while he total oblivious to this then in the end the girl gona find who he already deeply in love with other girl and gona heartbreak, a very repetitious plot like the author is unable to do anything different from that.
I don't know what happens in the novel, but I highly doubt the author is going to repeat this sort of arc. This arc is a continuation of the first arc and a resolution to SAO. Once it's over, I should think the story will branch out into new territory. I highly doubt the author will keep playing the "separated from your true love" all over again.

Then again, like I said, I don't know the novels, so if you really want to know, you can ask there. It isn't something that can be discussed in this episode thread.

Anyway, as for the episode in question... I expected Leefa to come in and save Kirito's sorry butt a bit sooner, but I guess it works to have him "die" there. I guess if she didn't save/revive his essence, he would probably be transported back to his starting point? I also liked the way the scene with Suguha played out at the end -- no music, just raw emotion. Even though the ED is up-beat, it seemed a bit more tragic after that ending.

Next episode, I am supposing the cavalry will come (because they should have been able to prepare by now). Honestly, Kirito's "I'll go crazy if I wait another moment" was noble (so his calmness thus far was an act?), but he should know by now that going it alone is dumb (even if you can't "die").