AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2012-10-30, 08:27   Link #41
willx
Nyaaan~~

Sandy in Canada

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/post-tr...dead-1.1016351

Not nearly as bad as it is down in the U.S. but we have flooding, thousands of people without power and one woman dead from flying signage..

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbaby View Post
Last night there were on and off power outages. In Jersey, there 50 houses on fire, I think it was there. I was very amazed to find the crane on a building swaying back and forth. I very amazed to find that the crane didn't even fall yet this morning. This is probably the first time that I ever heard of New York public schools closed for two days straight because of a natural disaster!!
I'm more surprised that the markets are closed two days straight..
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 08:35   Link #42
Roloko vi Britannia
The Dark Empress

I took a couple of videos of snowfall, but its nowhere near as bad as the mountain counties. Just a couple inches then it will be all gone by the time the snow switches over to rain. I just wanted to a video of it before it all melted. xD

This storm/hurricane didn't worry me since I knew all we would get was rain and a little snow. Heck there only has been like one or two small gusts the past couple days not even enough to shake the trailer.

The derecho in June/July scared the shit out of me though cause I wasn't expecting something that powerful and the power went out before it was even under us according to the radar.

Roloko vi Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 10:46   Link #43
kaizerknight01
Extra Superior Otaku

Hear NY NJ and other part are hit pretty bad ..... I hope most folks there are ok
kaizerknight01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 11:02   Link #44
jdennis007

One of the reasons why the stock exchange is closed is because a lot of people cant get there if the subways are not running. NYC is dependent on the subway system to get around. I didn't get hit that bad so everything is good here.
jdennis007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 11:04   Link #45
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdennis007 View Post
One of the reasons why the stock exchange is closed is because a lot of people cant get there if the subways are not running. NYC is dependent on the subway system to get around. I didn't get hit that bad so everything is good here.
I'd assume they had alternate sites and BCM planning, including servers out-of-state in case there was another emergency.. Again, I'm just surprised, considering I work for a financial institution that has all these backups and redundancies in place. (I'm talking about people working at home via citrix and alternate trading floors)
Old 2012-10-30, 11:14   Link #46
winterbaby
вelιnda

The damage is way worst than I thought. In my neighborhood there are tree limbs all ive the place. A tree fell on a car. Luckily I live in a Zone B area so there was no flooding were I live. But JFK airport was flooded. From my house, its a 5 minute drive to JFK. Yeah its pretty shocking to see this compared to Irene last year. I mean:

Old 2012-10-30, 12:29   Link #47
Mentar
Banned

Hey Mitt... how about explaining once more why abolishing the "immoral" FEMA is a good idea.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 12:41   Link #48
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
We didn't get hit too bad here (about 45 minutes west of Toronto), but it really was a howling windy night (leaves were blowing by my window about as fast as I've ever seen them go by) and I can even see some trees across the street from my house that look pretty bent. I haven't really ventured out much yet today but expect to see some obvious signs of wind damage when I do. Right now the winds seem to have died down completely and it's just the usual rain and overcast skies that have been a regular part of the weather cycle for the better part of October now.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 12:42   Link #49
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer

The eye was about 1 hr drive from my area. There was strong gusty wind but luckily the two trees in front of my house stood firm. Pheww.... The other blessed thing was no heavy rain like Irene. Overall, we dodged the bullet.
Grifis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 14:12   Link #50
jdennis007

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
I'd assume they had alternate sites and BCM planning, including servers out-of-state in case there was another emergency.. Again, I'm just surprised, considering I work for a financial institution that has all these backups and redundancies in place. (I'm talking about people working at home via citrix and alternate trading floors)
The financial firm I used to work for had all these redundancies in place too.
Even if there was a designated alternate location, no one can get there because the transportation system is shut down. As for as the electronic trading goes they would have to set up a secure site to do the trading on and then have the traders log in through a secure connection to do business, sounds easy right, it could be a logistics nightmare to set it all up and also some of the people don't even have power to be able to log in to a system.
jdennis007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 14:18   Link #51
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdennis007 View Post
The financial firm I used to work for had all these redundancies in place too.
Even if there was a designated alternate location, no one can get there because the transportation system is shut down. As for as the electronic trading goes they would have to set up a secure site to do the trading on and then have the traders log in through a secure connection to do business, sounds easy right, it could be a logistics nightmare to set it all up and also some of the people don't even have power to be able to log in to a system.
I concede to much of your points, though my experience, like when the G20 was going on in Toronto .. was that the company basically paid for everyone to take cabs or drive to the alternate sites. That still leaves many NY employees stranded though I suppose when roads are blocked.. This was all telegraphed, but damn, markets down for 2 days means some illiquid liquid investments
Old 2012-10-30, 15:55   Link #52
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Hey Mitt... how about explaining once more why abolishing the "immoral" FEMA is a good idea.
The real question right now:

What is Mitt's current stance on FEMA?

Also, today, I got the opportunity to stand right at Lake Michigan, to see the crashing waves. Now, that was cool to see.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 16:34   Link #53
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
The real question right now:

What is Mitt's current stance on FEMA?

Also, today, I got the opportunity to stand right at Lake Michigan, to see the crashing waves. Now, that was cool to see.
I imagine Mitt thinks the private sector would handle this disaster better than FEMA ... yeah, I said that because that's exactly how it happened in several other sectors that are now tanking in privatization schemes that transfer taxpayer money to a few private pockets with little accountability/oversight.
Old 2012-10-30, 16:39   Link #54
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Pics or...well I'm sure it happened but, pics! I'm in bloody Las Vegas and it's boringly sunny like any other day (although the tourists on the Strip from the East Coast are toasting their fine weather escape...or worried to death for family and friends).
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 17:08   Link #55
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Pics or...well I'm sure it happened but, pics! I'm in bloody Las Vegas and it's boringly sunny like any other day (although the tourists on the Strip from the East Coast are toasting their fine weather escape...or worried to death for family and friends).
Sadly, I lacked a camera... but... it's all pretty much like this:

Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 16:21   Link #56
Alchemist007
*Author

Pics I found

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2012-10-31, 17:33   Link #57
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

About 6 million remain without power in Northeast
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...89U0M920121031

Obama, Republican Christie tour storm-hit New Jersey, trade praise
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...89U1EJ20121031
Old 2012-10-31, 17:34   Link #58
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
Pics I found

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
where are the sharks?
Old 2012-10-31, 17:35   Link #59
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
where are the sharks?
Turns out some of the shark pics may be from other floods, some hoax pixing going on. Not sure which ones are related to Sandy at the moment myself.
Old 2012-10-31, 17:40   Link #60
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

since this is new youk, it should be where are the alligators?

Tags
frankenstorm, hurricane, sandy