AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2019-01-12, 12:56   Link #21
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Fantastic fantastic first episode. I'm all in for these 4D VR Chess mind games in the name of loooove!
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-12, 13:11   Link #22
4th Dimension

If I could say something is off is that the "scary" bits aren't HORROR enough. Guess can't easily replicate something a horror mangaka made. And the narrator could be a bit more HAM.

And I think the manga translation blows CR out of the water.

Other than that this is Kaguya in anime format.

Join Midchilda Discord server - a Nanoha community server
4th Dimension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-12, 13:16   Link #23
Applehell

OP is pretty decent though after Kakegurui's anyone would be hard ptessed to match up to that.

The first episode was fun, nothing really made me laugh out loud I was chuckling throughout it. I especially like the absurd " You're are definitely a human being" punchline.

I do wish the narrator wad less intrusive to overall experience, it's way too frequently and interrupts the flow of the dialogue more than I would like.

Also is the manga a 4koma?
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-12, 13:20   Link #24
Eclar
Avid reader

Is it not a 4koma. Each chapter have like 16-20 pages.
Old 2019-01-12, 13:26   Link #25
Applehell

Hmm, I see. I'm not too fond of how obviously segmented the anime is. That format usually works much better in manga than anime without feeling oddly patchwork like. I'll try to get use it though.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-12, 13:31   Link #26
Eclar
Avid reader

I see, good luck then

Take into fact that they are not adapting it in the order the manga is showing it. I just hope that the animators do not screw this up.
Old 2019-01-12, 13:31   Link #27
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I'm not fond of the OP.

The rest was pretty good. Prez's voice will take me a bit of time to get used to, but I had no problem with Kaguya's and Fujiwara's. I remember people commenting on Fujiwara's voice being too high pitched before the anime started but I think it suits her.

My favorite part was Kaguya cursing Fujiwara in her mind, and then completely changing her attitude once Fujiwara offered her a wiener. And of course seeing the famous "how cute" animated was a real treat.
Old 2019-01-12, 13:54   Link #28
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Wait...are we sure Shaft isn't adapting this manga because it sure as hell feels like a Shaft production...

This is all probably just nitpicking, and potentially based too much on my preconceptions but:
  • 3 chapters per episode feels too much. I don't feel like the various twists and turns of each battle are getting enough time to shine. The pace is a bit fast.
  • Not a fan of either Shirogane or Kaguya's voice. I think Fujiwara is perfect though.
  • Not a fan of the narrator.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-12, 13:58   Link #29
Blaat

Fun premise, a parody of Death Note or the nabe episode from Gintama. I'm interested in finding out how long they can keep this premise going before it becomes stale. Only complaints so far is that I don't like the voices for the protagonists and the narrator is a bit too intrusive.

Also I actually like the opening.
Old 2019-01-12, 14:01   Link #30
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

I thought the pacing was good. Early on we're just getting segments with the two, and then three of them, and haven't introduced a lot of the side characters, so it's good to get a few bits in to show the smaller interactions before adding more to the mix.

The OP was definitely unusual. It won't go on my top 10 list, but I don't think it was bad. I like the music more than the visuals. The soft lower register of the vocals feels much more comfortable for the tone of the show, and less jarring than the typical female vocals for the OP. The visuals are interesting once, but not something I'd want to repeatedly watch, though.

Voices and general presentation were great. The only problem I have is that the subtitles are very "busy". Between the characters and the narrator, reading the subtitles takes more effort, and that's an ongoing thing due to the structure of the show. This is one where I'd really prefer to watch it dubbed (and absolutely has to be dubbed if I watch it with friends). I really hope the dub is good.
Kinematics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-12, 14:03   Link #31
Wandering Soul

Not a fan of the OP. Maybe it'll grow on me, but I find the ED we heard in the PVs better.

That was a pretty good start. Everyone's voice fits them, I wasn't even as bothered by Shirogane's voice as I thought I would be. It was also nice to see one of my favorite gags again (the one where Kaguya curses Fujiwara in her mind, only to do 180 when Fujiwara unexpectedly helps her)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Wait...are we sure Shaft isn't adapting this manga because it sure as hell feels like a Shaft production...
I honestly thought the same thing watching this.
Old 2019-01-12, 14:09   Link #32
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Soul View Post
I honestly thought the same thing watching this.
Shinichi Omata (Mamoru Hatakeyama)

Looks like the director for this show has been involved in quite a few Shaft productions.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-12, 14:12   Link #33
Wandering Soul

Quote:

Looks like the director for this show has been involved in quite a few Shaft productions.
Just finished looking the guy up and was about to post that.
Old 2019-01-12, 14:14   Link #34
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:

This is all probably just nitpicking, and potentially based too much on my preconceptions but:
  • 3 chapters per episode feels too much. I don't feel like the various twists and turns of each battle are getting enough time to shine. The pace is a bit fast.
Well is Hatakeyama is Shaft veteran

Also 3 chapters per episode is sacrifice that I willing to make if I want Fireworks chapter to be made. We already sacrifice few chapter such as movie chapters

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-12, 15:59   Link #35
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

So, that scene at 7:30, where Kaguya is holding the knife to Shirogane's back, and there's swirling clouds in a red sky, and fisheye distortion to the scene... I feel like that's directly mimicking some scene I've seen elsewhere, but I can't remember what from. Anyone remember what that is?
Kinematics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-12, 16:51   Link #36
moridin84
Custom User Title

They included Fujiwara right in the first episode. Nice.

The whole weapons motif in the OP doesn't appeal to me for some reason.

The first episode was a bit rushed I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
My favorite part was Kaguya cursing Fujiwara in her mind, and then completely changing her attitude once Fujiwara offered her a wiener. And of course seeing the famous "how cute" animated was a real treat.
Eh, I didn't like the "how cute". Although I'm honestly not sure how I wanted it to be animated.

Quote:
Nah, a SHAFT anime would have more of those stupid unnatural poses.
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-12, 18:41   Link #37
4th Dimension

Quote:
Originally Posted by moridin84 View Post
Eh, I didn't like the "how cute". Although I'm honestly not sure how I wanted it to be animated.
I think it's two things for me there.
1) The translators aren't putting in as much effort as the manga guys did. The subs do that as "It's cute" while in the manga it's "HOW cute" which adds more.
2) The scenes aren't actually drawn as if it's some sort of horror scene. Like Kaguya's eyes aren't EVIL ENOUGH. It might be due to adaptation people aren't as good at anime horror as the mangaka is in manga format (their previous works were mostly horror).

hence the lack of IMPACT like in manga.

Join Midchilda Discord server - a Nanoha community server
4th Dimension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-12, 19:02   Link #38
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:

No wonder this felt like I was watching some of the Madoka Magica episodes at times. There's a common link there, very interesting.

Overall to me this is the strongest opening episode of the season so far. I was cracking up laughing all the way through and while the pace was indeed a bit too fast the narrator, the voice acting, the directing... all of it felt pretty darned good. The OP is also pretty cool as some others have mentioned. The repetition schtick actually works pretty well imho.

But overall we can sum it all up with two words: HOW CUTE!
Old 2019-01-12, 19:31   Link #39
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

And I really like the OP. Not sure why everyone hates it.

The voices are also good enough.

I was afraid that partnership with A-1 affected Omata badly (I liked Grancrest but it still was his weakest work probably) but looks like he was given enough freedom this time to go all out.

Hope the latter eps willl also deliver.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-12, 19:35   Link #40
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I felt the pace was too fast too, and that in the process the craziness of some of the things the characters did doesn't really register, like Kaguya inventing a fake prize and being the one who put the movie tickets in Fujiwara's mailbox at night.

Tags
parody, romance comedy