AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

Old 2010-04-03, 23:14   Link #581
HandofFate

no idea what kind of story/plot this series will end up being from the first episode, seems just a 'introduce characters briefly' episode.

other than that, don't really get what's going on.
the concert and mission at the end was rather lame..
Old 2010-04-03, 23:24   Link #582
Jze0
Hmmm...

Watched the first episode and it seemed to be pretty fun. I don't really have much to say since its still the beginning but maybe by episode 3 or 4 I'll add more of my input.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
That's amusing It seems like Tenshi is already popular after only the first episode.
Of course, didn't you see what happened when she went super distortion mode... no one could touch her, not bullets nor a rocket laucher. Seriously with just that one action I'm already liking her more than Yuri.
Old 2010-04-03, 23:27   Link #583
FlashFumo
Wait, what?

I just watched the first episode.

I have no idea what just happened.
FlashFumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-03, 23:27   Link #584
kyosak
poo

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
i think some people are bitching way too much about this show. we're one ep in and you're calling the story shallow and confusing? complaining about the animation when its several notches above most other shows?

you people set your expectations too high.
And websites like Sankaku Complex sure are not helping the cause by spewing out their regular troll BS they call "articles" ... I mean, going so far as to complain about a perspective error in the way a hand is drawn in part of one scene? Really? Although I was somewhat anticipating the backlash at the anticipated show, I'm still shocked at how it seems people are TRYING to hate the show before it even gets started.

I know Sankaku gets A LOT of their 'scoop' from another heap of troll garbage website called 2ch, but what's scary is how many people read these "articles" and all of a sudden, the troll shit isn't about "just for the lulz" anymore.

Also, lol @ that pic blitz
I'm saving that xD
kyosak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-03, 23:27   Link #585
orangejuicetang

It amused me to no end when Yuri said they were rebelling against God. Mostly because this ran through my mind.

*Yuri runs into a room, and finds herself face to face with Haruhi.

Yuri: "So, your God, huh?"
Haruhi: "yup"
Yuri: "..."
Haruhi: "..."
Internal monologue of both: "She looks like me."

Kind of like Akiha's Vermillion's Melty Blood React arcade story, if you know what it is.

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
orangejuicetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-03, 23:31   Link #586
WuWei

The series actually reminds me of an older live action Japanese TV show with a similar premise called Sh15uya.

http://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/sh15uya/

The premise is nearly the same.

IE: Hero with lost memory ends up in world where the majority of the population acts like "NPCs" fighting against a near unstoppable killing machine who only goes after you if you break the rules.
WuWei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-03, 23:50   Link #587
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuicetang View Post
It amused me to no end when Yuri said they were rebelling against God. Mostly because this ran through my mind.

*Yuri runs into a room, and finds herself face to face with Haruhi.

Yuri: "So, your God, huh?"
Haruhi: "yup"
Yuri: "..."
Haruhi: "..."
Internal monologue of both: "She looks like me."

Kind of like Akiha's Vermillion's Melty Blood React arcade story, if you know what it is.
See, now this is funny Which can't be said about most other comments involving a Haruhi comparison.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-03, 23:53   Link #588
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Well, I certainly don't know much, if anything about Angel Beats, but I think it looks pretty good from just the first episode. The music was definitely one of the high points with the band.
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 00:17   Link #589
Wrath88
Kissing...

Okay, apart from a few perspective errors (e.g. hand in office, and how the ground seemed inclined when Yui first appeared), I don't have anything to complain about regarding the story.

Questions & Inferences:
Q1: Where they get weapons? And everything else for that matter. (the biggest question of all)

I1: NPCs are able to react to one thing only. By distracting with concert, they forget about their tickets, and thus 'lifting' is accomplished.
Old 2010-04-04, 00:36   Link #590
DeX-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrath88 View Post
Questions & Inferences:
Q1: Where they get weapons? And everything else for that matter. (the biggest question of all)
While I'm not sure whether the anime will answer this question or not, but going by the first (and only) translated chapter so far I assume that the light novels will answer it. I elaborated a little more in the spoiler below but it contains a bit of spoiler from it. Although, it doesn't spoil anything for the anime considering the light novels are more like a prequel.

Spoiler for Light Novel:

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"

Last edited by DeX-kun; 2010-04-04 at 00:56.
Old 2010-04-04, 00:57   Link #591
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
The series actually reminds me of an older live action Japanese TV show with a similar premise called Sh15uya.

http://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/sh15uya/

The premise is nearly the same.

IE: Hero with lost memory ends up in world where the majority of the population acts like "NPCs" fighting against a near unstoppable killing machine who only goes after you if you break the rules.
Well, when you put it that way, it sounds like The Prisoner.

Be seeing you!
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 01:01   Link #592
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

Watched the 1st Episode finally after searching through for decent subs (the first I saw was full of errors). I'm very, very impressed with the animation style, much better than most of the shows out there. The mixing of seriousness with comedy is a nice touch too. I had trouble remembering most of the people though, but I'm really amused by TK (voiced by Michael Rivas).

I noticed a certain level of similarity to Haruhi, of course, being a big fan of that show. Probably why I feel so comfortable with this anime.

Looking forward to Emiri Katou's voice-acting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrath88 View Post
Okay, apart from a few perspective errors (e.g. hand in office, and how the ground seemed inclined when Yui first appeared), I don't have anything to complain about regarding the story.

Questions & Inferences:

I1: NPCs are able to react to one thing only. By distracting with concert, they forget about their tickets, and thus 'lifting' is accomplished.
Spoiler for Weapons:

And about your inference, I don't see how it links to the weapons issue, sorry
edkedkedk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 01:04   Link #593
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

If anyone here has ever read After School Nightmare, this setting might seem very familiar. Students who just go through the motions, except for the few main characters who seem to realize things are more than what they seem. The world implies that it is spiritual in some sense, a type of after life or rung on the reincarnation ladder.

I can see the influences from other stories here of course, just like everyone else. There's some Haruhi, some Matrix, etc. Mostly what I'm interested in finding out is if the story can combine these elements in a way that pays off?

So there's good animation, and good music. The designs of the characters are nice, and there's certainly some personality which is good. I can forgive animation errors, since studios tend to "clean up" the art for DVD release anyway, and honestly there wasn't anything horribly jarring.

So the first episode is a sort of crash course, drag you in type of thing...and if I had one complaint so far that would be it. They simply try to do so much in one episode and there wasn't any feelings of suspense or excitement. Certainly no mystery either.

Still, judging any series entirely by the first episode is like trying to figure out how a book ends by reading the first chapter, meaning it's usually pointless. There's enough here to keep me interested in seeing what happens next and in that regard this first episode did its job perfectly.

Thankfully I avoid hype like the plague. Perhaps that's why I'm not so critical as others have been about Angel Beats. *shrugs*
Old 2010-04-04, 01:11   Link #594
orangejuicetang

Quote:
Thankfully I avoid hype like the plague. Perhaps that's why I'm not so critical as others have been about Angel Beats. *shrugs*
Yeah, I actually for somehow or another managed to almost avoid almost all of the hype by accident. And then I saw an entry about it on a blog, decided to check it out, thought it was pretty cool, and came here. And then reading through the pages, it seemed like this show was actually really hyped.

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
orangejuicetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 02:19   Link #595
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
LOL I don't know what to think. Having read Maeda's work before this pacing is off. I wouldn't blame him for the way the anime turned out. Perhaps it would be better paced as a novel since this is really quick with transitioning the scenes. I don't know what to think overall....
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 02:21   Link #596
Hedd
Random Object

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jze0 View Post
Watched the first episode and it seemed to be pretty fun. I don't really have much to say since its still the beginning but maybe by episode 3 or 4 I'll add more of my input.
Of course, didn't you see what happened when she went super distortion mode... no one could touch her, not bullets nor a rocket laucher. Seriously with just that one action I'm already liking her more than Yuri.

(not Suki forum quality but use as you may elsewhere)
Old 2010-04-04, 02:22   Link #597
Eater of All
NOM

Seeing Angel Beats getting bashed so hard in the beginning prompted me to make the best decision of my life: lower my expectations accordingly until it hit rock bottom. And whaddya know, because of that the episode turned out to be the best thing ever since sliced bread!

On a more serious note, I can't really say ep01 was anything mind-blowingly epic, but it was still fairly decent. The animation was a step up from your average anime, and I honestly don't find the style to be remotely similar to Haruhi at all (to address some naysayers' concerns). Although in retrospect Yuri's personality does seem to resemble Haruhi's, the difference in art killed that connection 5 seconds into the episode for me. The comedy though, I gotta admit, was pretty bland. Still, I don't really get why people are saying it's trying to be serious when the whole point was to emphasize that what's happening is ridiculous beyond belief.

Also, if it's one thing I love about this thing, it's the enigmatic setting. Looking forward to some crazy development and plot twists in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
That's an interesting way of putting it. It's a possibility that the whole "afterlife" world is some sort of illusion or maybe a program of sorts. I believe someone in here earlier mentioned the binary numbers that were shown off the deflections from Tenshi. Maybe Tenshi herself is a program, I'm not sure but it's something to think about. Of course, this is only speculation on my part
Oh ho, what if this afterlife is actually an artificial world created solely for monitoring people who are unconscious? So in the real world, their comatose bodies are connected to some type of advanced network as a means to preserve them, and the students who "disappeared" had actually woken up from their coma.
Old 2010-04-04, 02:25   Link #598
Kensuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyosak View Post
And websites like Sankaku Complex sure are not helping the cause by spewing out their regular troll BS they call "articles" ... I mean, going so far as to complain about a perspective error in the way a hand is drawn in part of one scene? Really? Although I was somewhat anticipating the backlash at the anticipated show, I'm still shocked at how it seems people are TRYING to hate the show before it even gets started.
Hear, hear. I read that, and now that I have watched the first episode, I don't have anything really bad to say about the show. Animation definitely looks above average, and show has potential. Thought I would like this to go more on philosophical direction too, and not just concentrating some random stuff and fights.
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 02:45   Link #599
DeX-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater of All View Post
And whaddya know, because of that the episode turned out to be the best thing ever since sliced bread!
That's a pretty bold statement there cause sliced bread was an amazing feat all on it's own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater of All View Post
Oh ho, what if this afterlife is actually an artificial world created solely for monitoring people who are unconscious? So in the real world, their comatose bodies are connected to some type of advanced network as a means to preserve them, and the students who "disappeared" had actually woken up from their coma.
Interesting. I do like the idea, that sounds plausible and that would make for a very intriguing twist to the story. If I may speculate some more, maybe the world is really an "afterlife" and there's a possibility that "disappearing" might actually not be a bad thing. It could be that you're stuck in that world until you accept the fact that you're actually dead, and you let go of all your past regrets in order to "move on" so-to-speak.

Just look at all the names that Yuri and the rest of the SSS crew keep coming up with, and the extreme denial of the possibility that they might actually be dead. I believe that could prove my theory as well.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2010-04-04, 02:54   Link #600
Jze0
Hmmm...

Woah, after looking over the thread there sure is alot of negativity. I mean the first epsiode wasn't that bad plus I believe in an interview Maede said the series really starts at episode two so lets wait and give it a chance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedd View Post

(not Suki forum quality but use as you may elsewhere)
Uuuu... nice, will use elsewhere and thanks.

Tags
key