AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-01-15, 19:11   Link #121
Bortix
l33t One

So far, the only manga I read has been released by Tokyopop: Cowboy Bebop, GTO, Love Hina, Samurai Deeper Kyo, and Scryed.
Old 2004-03-23, 09:33   Link #122
AG3
Inactive ex-WoW addict

Extreme bump, but that's ok.

I bought Tokyopop's first issue of Psychic Academy a few days ago, and after reading it I felt it was ok. But a few points in the story is a little bit strange, kinda hard to grasp properly. So I downloaded a scanlated version of it I found, and... yikes! The differences in the two translations are HUGE!!

One example is Ai's brother. While he is an honour student in the scanlation, he's the new aura teacher in TP's version.

Another one is the class where they are supposed to work with strengthening the "aura guard". In TPs version, everyone thinks Ai is awsome for taking the gym teachers attack without using his aura power, and apparently that's what the rabbit told him to do. Even the gym teacher asks him "You've been in combat before?", and some fellow students say "Awsome! You're Zero's little brother alright!". And I ask myself, "what for? Anyone could do that".

The answer is given in the scanlation. There, the teacher asks "What? You're a beginner?", and the fellow students say "That's impossible! He's the legendary boy's brother!". And the rabbit apparently wanted him to use his aura, if I interpret the sentence "think of his power as nothing" correctly.

This, and loads of other inconsistencies and differences, truly make me sceptical to the way Tokyopop seems to change the stories of the mangas they license. I think the general dialogues of TP's version are better, they sound better in English. But the accuracy might be questionable, if the scanlation is anything to go by.

It just seems so stupid that I have to read one version to get good-sounding dialogues, and another version to get the CORRECT story.
Old 2004-03-23, 13:55   Link #123
e2-
Genius!

I do got love hina, battle royale, samurai deepper kyo, real about high school, magick knight of rayearth, A.i. love you (vol1) and Escaflowne from tokyopop
Old 2004-03-25, 12:53   Link #124
skillosopher
Dr. J

Send a message via AIM to skillosopher
i know get backers was done by tokyo pop. is there any news on the manga's progress?! ive been dying to get my hands on the manga after the anime died. anyone have any tips?

i know i saw the first chapter released in some anime magazine i picked up at borders books. are they selling whole books yet? if not is there anywhere else i can find it?
Old 2004-03-25, 14:42   Link #125
AnimeFangirl

About GetBackers, you'll find Dranz did a review of the first volume recently. Check the second and third pages.
Old 2004-03-27, 21:44   Link #126
Lina Inverse
SL Aki fanclub president

I got some issues from them just because I was curious about the series which weren't avaiable over here, but what I found was absolutely horrible
It was Americanized a great deal, censored a lot with lots of arbitrary changes, the names had be changed to some awful sounding ones, the retouch work nearly made me throw up etc. After getting an accurate translation from one of the series and compared, I noticed that the "translation" (dunno if it deserves that names) was often totally off and sometimes didn't have to do anything at all with the original anymore, as if someone did a hit-and-miss on what it could mean
Thus, series are often butchered and maimed vigorously so that nothing much of its original charme remains, totally ruining the series. If you didn't know the original, you'll probably not be able to realize the true extent of how awful it actually is.
All in all, I clearly nominate them for the most atrocious editors ever, as this is by far the worst I've ever seen.
Old 2004-03-27, 23:36   Link #127
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lina Inverse
I got some issues from them just because I was curious about the series which weren't avaiable over here, but what I found was absolutely horrible
It was Americanized a great deal, censored a lot with lots of arbitrary changes, the names had be changed to some awful sounding ones, the retouch work nearly made me throw up etc. After getting an accurate translation from one of the series and compared, I noticed that the "translation" (dunno if it deserves that names) was often totally off and sometimes didn't have to do anything at all with the original anymore, as if someone did a hit-and-miss on what it could mean
Thus, series are often butchered and maimed vigorously so that nothing much of its original charme remains, totally ruining the series. If you didn't know the original, you'll probably not be able to realize the true extent of how awful it actually is.
All in all, I clearly nominate them for the most atrocious editors ever, as this is by far the worst I've ever seen.
While I'm not really a big fan of Tokyopop, I'd like to ask you where you're getting the "accurate translation" from in your comparison of translations...
Old 2004-03-28, 06:22   Link #128
7thMethuselah

Having read several of Tokypop's manga's I can't just in general say I like or dslike them. It really depends on the manga. The one thing I can't stand is when they change the names of characters (the Sumomo - Plum thing for example) but I'm happy that they keep the Japanese way of reading (flipping the art is horrible) and they don't translate the action sounds.

Some manga I was happy with were Love Hina, Planetes and Chobits (apart from the names).
However manga like GetBackers really sucked since they overdid it in trying to add cool language in it, it really got annoying after a while. I recently picked up ai Yori Aoshi and so far no complaints about it yet. Still have to read Full Metal Panic and a few others ...
Old 2004-03-28, 08:44   Link #129
bluemist
i am the mist

I am going to follow their Fruits Basket manga. I got the first volume, and I have no complaints. It's just plain fine to read, I don't need to nitpick about those translations and stuff like that. As long I understand what I read, that is good enough.
Old 2004-03-28, 15:02   Link #130
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thMethuselah
Still have to read Full Metal Panic and a few others ...
Full Metal Panic is a product of ADV Manga, not Tokyopop.
Old 2004-03-28, 17:03   Link #131
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus IX
you're right, gomen gomen I just bought it yesterday haven't really looked at it yet, catching up on Ah! My Goddess first (french version)
Old 2007-11-14, 14:54   Link #132
zeldalover

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsuki_desu View Post
Who reads the mangas from that publisher?Tokyopop
Dude, almost all the manga that I have are from tokyopop, heck, I got a profile from Tokyopop.com its pretty cool really and a really frienly place to make friends.
^_^
Old 2007-11-15, 09:24   Link #133
Strabo

Hmm...inetresting thread necromancy.

Almost all of the posts were complaing about TP, but they were all from 2004. Does anybody know if they've gotten better in the last 3 years?
Old 2007-11-18, 17:05   Link #134
Ookla The Mok

I just read Kare Kano volumes 2 and 3... Yeah, TOKYOPOP has gotten a world of better since then.
Old 2008-04-14, 15:57   Link #135
becky-chan
i smell tasty nom noms..

I have tons of manga from TOKYOPOP
I love how they keep the manga right to left,its confusing to read left to right manga now
But what really ticked me off was the sumomo-plum thing in chobits,but its a good publisher,none the less.
Old 2008-04-14, 17:19   Link #136
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

They arent a good company, they're average. They're to hit and miss with translations and the way they handle the manga. Then you get releases like Psychic Academy which are throw backs to their Mixx days.

They have done some good ones, but meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus IX View Post
Actually, TP have the license for the light novels.
Old 2008-04-14, 17:21   Link #137
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

well, to be fair tokyopop did not start out as a manga publisher.

in my opinion, it was an idea way ahead of its time.

but with so many financial loses they took, i hope they are recovering well with their manga and anime releases.

I think I have chobits and rozen maiden and maybe ai yori aoshi from them?
Old 2009-04-03, 13:41   Link #138
KimmyChan

I use to read Tokopop published manga a lot a few years back, but hardly anymore now
Old 2009-04-03, 18:40   Link #139
alamarco
Why hello there!

Speaking of FMP light novels, TokyoPop has put them on hold. Big shame because the 4th novel had a release date at December, but never came. Really got on my nerves as I can no longer read FMP .
Old 2009-04-03, 21:38   Link #140
yongshun

I have a ton of tokyopop mangas but right now I just want them or someone to release Beck. Sucks that they released up to volume 11 and them lost the license for it.
Closed Thread