AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series > Upcoming Archive

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-01-20, 15:50   Link #541
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Ok,here goes a crazy theory I have,please hear me out.

Sailor Moon is a Toei title so of course they'll be involved,but Toei sometimes gets help from other studios, for example on re:cutey honey they got gainax to co produce (and indeed the whole show is pretty much a gainax show)

Now last june the founder of Bones said they were working on a "new version of a familiar title"
We havn't had any news on what that title is since then.
Many people speculated on possible sequels of past bones shows but "new version" suggests a remake and Sailor Moon is definitely a "familiar title".

There's some wishful thinking here of course and I'm really just speculating but I figured I'd throw it it out there
Old 2013-01-20, 16:00   Link #542
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizro345 View Post
The fact the manga still sells is not really relevant to the issue. The reissue was published even here, but I stopped right at the S arc, since afterwards everything goes downhill. Still, it was a success AFAIK. But I still remember Takeuchi has done basically nothing worthwile after Sailormoon.
I know I wouldn't watch another 100+ episode series. Precure is already testing my patience with its 48-50 episode formula.
Yeah but I know quite a lot of people who are still big fans of the manga and who want to see a faithful adaption. My tumblr dash is full of Sailor Moon without even going looking for it.

Your opinion doesn't necessarily correlate with the majority.
Old 2013-01-20, 16:03   Link #543
xizro345
King's Justice

The opposite is also true, though.
I honestly wouldn't mind (and I know it's a pretty strong opinion) a failure, even if it's almost impossible for that to happen. It was a novel idea twenty years ago (though technically inspired by something about twenty years earlier). Now? It would be good for Toei and Takeuchi, and that's all.
Old 2013-01-20, 16:14   Link #544
ChibiGoku
FightingMagic Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Ok,here goes a crazy theory I have,please hear me out.

Sailor Moon is a Toei title so of course they'll be involved,but Toei sometimes gets help from other studios, for example on re:cutey honey they got gainax to co produce (and indeed the whole show is pretty much a gainax show)

Now last june the founder of Bones said they were working on a "new version of a familiar title"
We havn't had any news on what that title is since then.
Many people speculated on possible sequels of past bones shows but "new version" suggests a remake and Sailor Moon is definitely a "familiar title".

There's some wishful thinking here of course and I'm really just speculating but I figured I'd throw it it out there
I actually suggested that as well, especially given Takuya Igarashi is at Bones and he has had plenty of experience working on Sailor Moon.
Old 2013-01-20, 16:41   Link #545
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
I might be willing to check this out for nostalgia's sake, but I doubt I'll be too interested unless they take the concept only and rewrite it for a 2013 audience.
Same as the other post. Adapting to fit the taste of 2013? Woah.

What kind of plot does Nanoha and Madoka has that Sailormoon doesn't have?

Hope we meant of the plot right? and not some fan service and excessive moe freedom. I also hope they make it for the general audience as the true nature of Sailormoon back then and not some male oriented show.
Old 2013-01-20, 16:55   Link #546
xizro345
King's Justice

Honestly it has nothing to do with fanservice or anything. Simply put, a story like SM can't hold for 100+ episodes nowadays. Even Precure changes style, characters, etc, after 50 episodes. 200+ episodes of something that really never changes? Unlikely it'll work today, as it's not called One Piece or Naruto.
Old 2013-01-20, 16:59   Link #547
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Most stories in anime can't hold for twelve episodes, let alone fifty.
Old 2013-01-20, 17:27   Link #548
Kirarakim

Quote:
Honestly it has nothing to do with fanservice or anything. Simply put, a story like SM can't hold for 100+ episodes nowadays. Even Precure changes style, characters, etc, after 50 episodes. 200+ episodes of something that really never changes? Unlikely it'll work today, as it's not called One Piece or Naruto.
You do realize the manga is only 12 volumes right. It is not going to be 100 episodes. At 12 volumes I can see them going for a 1 year series.
Old 2013-01-20, 17:30   Link #549
xizro345
King's Justice

The anime already covered the manga though in the basic storyline (save for the first episodes of R), so unless it's a remake I don't expect to see the story told another time. The biggest differences were from SuperS onwards and peaked with Sailor Stars (and the Sailor Starlights).

Also not a chance Toei will make a series with less than 50 episodes. They want to sell the merchandise.
Old 2013-01-20, 17:46   Link #550
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Also not a chance Toei will make a series with less than 50 episodes. They want to sell the merchandise.
I look forward to seeing your reaction when this turns out to be a 50 episodes (or less) remake

Because really,the thought of it not being that hadn't even crossed my mind.
Old 2013-01-20, 18:43   Link #551
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
You may as well pass over most shortcomings, but when the same stuff is repeated ad nauseam it stops working
Yes, for you, maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic
Nostalgia factor notwithstanding, I suspect that my 28-year-old self will not tolerate the shallowness of a very traditional 90s magical-girl series,
I was afraid of this as well (I rewatched the series uncut at age 26) but found myself pleasantly surprised. I still really like it.
Old 2013-01-20, 18:59   Link #552
Matts
An... Historian OOOH-

I'm with Chiibi on this, I was surprised to find I still enjoy the show and the characters. I don't know why, but I feel there was more creativity when it came to the monsters of the week compared to today's standards. But that might really just be me being nostalgic.

Not comparing it to Nanoha and Madoka, since those shows are not even aimed towards the same target audience.
Old 2013-01-20, 19:45   Link #553
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Honestly it has nothing to do with fanservice or anything.
It would be if they will target the "now mature" audience and not the happy kids back in the old days. Current series have a zest of fan service know that "sex sells" now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
You do realize the manga is only 12 volumes right. It is not going to be 100 episodes. At 12 volumes I can see them going for a 1 year series.
Probably 50 will me my least approval. I think 24 is already enough.

Anyway, I agree with Chiibi and Matts, the original plot is still plausible. The only ones will be disgusted would those who got head over heels to the latest trend in anime. I don't need to say it again. You know what I mean. I pray that the director will not be corrupted by naughty ideas. Keep the Usagi x Mamoru. It's official. Leave the perverted ideas in doujinshis..
Old 2013-01-20, 22:00   Link #554
T-6000

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
I look forward to seeing your reaction when this turns out to be a 50 episodes (or less) remake

Because really,the thought of it not being that hadn't even crossed my mind.
I'm actually thinking somewhere between 50-60 episodes.
Old 2013-01-20, 23:36   Link #555
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Yeah but I know quite a lot of people who are still big fans of the manga and who want to see a faithful adaption. My tumblr dash is full of Sailor Moon without even going looking for it.

Your opinion doesn't necessarily correlate with the majority.
I found myself disliking the manga when I go re-reading it after 10 or more years. I don't think I am alone in this when I bring the news of the new show is being remade and my friends all saying that they hope it's not the same as the manga.

To think I used to like this one a lot when I was young. I guess that's also the effect of limited stuff to read at that time.
Old 2013-01-20, 23:54   Link #556
xizro345
King's Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts View Post
Not comparing it to Nanoha and Madoka, since those shows are not even aimed towards the same target audience.
Toei also created Precure though, which has created some noteworthy results (Heartcatch! for sure). Another proof the genre evolved quite a bit in twenty years.

Quote:
I'm actually thinking somewhere between 50-60 episodes.
That's most likely. But how the story will be handled will matter a lot, at least for me.
Old 2013-01-21, 00:07   Link #557
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

If it was for four seasons it should be 52 episodes.

I would point out that a remake can be done very well if it is handled with care by a mix of people that were originally involved, and fans of the orignal show. These tend to be the people that not only know what they are doing professionally, but also have a love for the show and have studied it to the point where they understand what worked and what didn't work. Also they can resolve issued from early on or include things from later on that should have been covered early in the show but were not because the writter hadn't thought of it yet.
Old 2013-01-21, 00:37   Link #558
Sakuya
*Artist

I'm keeping an open mind just as I did with the live action version. While I don't expect it to be as good as the original anime was back in the day, I'm still glad to see something new being done with it. But I really hope they will not make it moe to cater to today's male anime fans...

I'm so excited what they will be doing with the music! Will they use the original music at all? I believe the music producer had passed away...
Old 2013-01-21, 00:58   Link #559
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuya View Post
But I really hope they will not make it moe to cater to today's male anime fans...
I expect a rage if that happens....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuya View Post
I'm so excited what they will be doing with the music! Will they use the original music at all? I believe the music producer had passed away...
Oh, the OP of Sailormoon.. I missed it so much!!!!
Old 2013-01-21, 01:01   Link #560
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Remakes almost always use the most famous pieces of music from the original. Even if they change out all the other music, the original OP will be there...someplace.

Tags
remake, shoujo