Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-03-29, 08:41   Link #1121
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
I'm going to be very disappointed if ZnT doesn't receive a home release, dubbed so my husband can watch it and blue-ray so I can revel in its full visual goodness.
Maybe you should sway your husband to start watching foreign movies with subs since you will lost half the charm of the movies with dubs .
Old 2013-03-29, 08:59   Link #1122
Dop
Mmmm....

Marvellous. I absolutely loved this show from beginning to end, the way the story could turn on a sixpence in ways which always made perfect sense, and I'm very grateful there wasn't an unnecessary and cheap resurrection of Aika.
There aren't many shows where the most important pivotal character is dead before the show starts. But it was carried off superbly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I rather suspect the opposite - I think time is going to be kinder to this series that BD/DVD sales have been. It's a show that will be remembered long after splashier shows with bigger sales are relegated to obscurity.
I think you're right there. Sales are not a total indication of quality, and there are many great shows which sold poorly but are far more memorable than some high-selling T&A ecchi nonsense.

On the whole though, I think if there was just one thing I'd remember this show for it's the soundtrack. That glorious sweeping orchestral soundtrack which added gravitas throughout.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 09:09   Link #1123
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Maybe you should sway your husband to start watching foreign movies with subs since you will lost half the charm of the movies with dubs .
Let me emphasize the wording of my statement. Dubbed so my husband can watch it. My husband has a vision disorder that is blinding him. (Macro degeneration.) He can no longer read subs where the dialogue changes quickly. Assuming he can even see the letters, which he often times can't, his brain can no longer process the letters into words before the letters are replaced with new letters. For him to watch ZnT subbed, I would have to pause every time a new line of dialogue appeared until he could read each new line. Talk about a mood killer. We've learned the hard way that watching dubbed is the best option for him.

I don't intend to rag on you. I just wanted to explain that for some people, subs aren't a realistic option.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous

Last edited by LKK; 2013-03-29 at 09:22. Reason: added some more info & corrected a subbed/dubbed switch
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 09:17   Link #1124
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
Let me emphasize the wording of my statement. Dubbed so my husband can watch it. My husband has a vision disorder that is blinding him. (Macro degeneration.) He can no longer read subs where the dialogue changes quickly. Assuming he can even see the letters, which he often times can't, his brain can no longer process the letters into words before the letters are replaced with new letters. For him to watch ZnT dubbed, I would have to pause every time a new line of dialogue appeared. Talk about a mood killer. We've learned the hard way that watching dubbed is the best option for him.

I don't intend to rag on you. I just wanted to explain that for some people, subs aren't a realistic option.
Ups. I'm so sorry then. I didn't know about your husband's condition. So, please forgive my rudeness (if you feel any of it in my previous post which is not my intention at all ). Say hi to him from me, and I wish you two the best of health ^^.
Old 2013-03-29, 09:20   Link #1125
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Ups. I'm so sorry then. I didn't know about your husband's condition. So, please forgive my rudeness (if you feel any of it in my previous post which is not my intention at all ).
I didn't feel any rudeness whatsoever. I just felt the need to explain the situation, that's all. Everything's fine.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2013-03-29, 10:41   Link #1126
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Annnnd one in my book on the "best anime collection"
Just splendid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern-san View Post
Chronologically-wise I guess the anime ended before the manga? After all
Spoiler for manga:

Spoiler for Evangeline:
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 11:31   Link #1127
SQA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I rather suspect the opposite - I think time is going to be kinder to this series than BD/DVD sales have been. It's a show that will be remembered long after splashier shows with bigger sales are relegated to obscurity.
I'm starting to think with 2 cours series, unless they're a hugely popular property, we really need to wait until a month after the Boxed Set is released to get a full appreciation for the popularity of the series. Which means for something like ZnT, that'd be late 2014 at the earliest. (Which is also why a number of series end up somewhat profitable when we don't think they'll be, it just takes 2ish years to reach that.)

Plus, ZnT is a series I would unreservedly recommend to people, especially a Western viewer. They'll "get" the Shakespeare aspect when told upfront about it, so any of the extra bombastic stuff will work a bit better on them. I think, like Shin Sekai Yori, this series will age pretty well and still be regarded by year's end and further on. Granted, we're not going to see anything like it again for a long while.
SQA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 17:24   Link #1128
ginger02

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQA View Post
Plus, ZnT is a series I would unreservedly recommend to people, especially a Western viewer. They'll "get" the Shakespeare aspect when told upfront about it, so any of the extra bombastic stuff will work a bit better on them. I think, like Shin Sekai Yori, this series will age pretty well and still be regarded by year's end and further on. Granted, we're not going to see anything like it again for a long while.
I too would probably recommend this to some of my friends, even those who don't watch anime. Though I would caution them that understanding the whole story through subs may be hard.

Just finished watching episodes 22,23, and 24 in one sitting. Had to catch up. I can't believe I've been watching this for the past 6 months. How time flies by. I LOVED the action scenes in the last 2 episodes, especially Hanemura and Hakaze "against" each other, and I wish we got more of that throughout the series.

Impressions of the series:
- Loved the animation and art style. It was eye-catching and pleasing for the most part. I kept watching at the pool scene.
- The analogies and references to other works and the intelligent dialogue is great.
- Music was nice. Good choices. And picking Kylee to sing the OP was wonderful. Big fan here haha.
- I think the show had a brilliant mix of comedy and mystery and action for the most part. It's cool how it made tense scenes without needing fighting. The first half wasn't so funny, but I guess that makes sense.
- I really liked Mahiro. His personality wasn't my cup of tea but it was interesting and intriguing. His voice actor is a fantastic job I think, and I loved how he was drawn, with certain ticks and expressions that made his caracter great. Also the styling was awesome lol. Aika was fun too.

Who are your favorite characters? For me, in no particular order, it is
1. Hanemura
2. Hakaze
3. Evengeline
4. Mahiro
5. Yoshino

(Okay, maybe a slight order). All the characters have they good and bad qualities which is great.

The show was lacking something that would have made it one of my all-time forever faves, but it was steadily and continuously a show i enjoyed every week, so maybe I'll appreciate it more as time goes by (*starts singing jyA-Me*).

The ending was great imo. I loved the music that was playing, and the scene by the ocean. It felt slightly anti-climactic. I would have preferred them all reuniting or showing them older, but otherwise I liked it. It gives the impression that sometimes life happens, and you have to move on with it even if it doesn't make sense. To continue on with life even after your loved ones are gone, to change the world around you and affect the people you care about.

Great show overall. 9/10

One question though: What is the Sword of Exodus and where the heck did it come from? I don't remember ever hearing about it.
ginger02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 19:03   Link #1129
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQA View Post
I'm starting to think with 2 cours series, unless they're a hugely popular property, we really need to wait until a month after the Boxed Set is released to get a full appreciation for the popularity of the series. Which means for something like ZnT, that'd be late 2014 at the earliest. (Which is also why a number of series end up somewhat profitable when we don't think they'll be, it just takes 2ish years to reach that.)

I think ZnT is already likely profitable, because the manga sales spike was significantly larger than average. Plus the BD/DVD volume sales weren't terrible like SSY, just mediocre.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 23:40   Link #1130
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I will say that this really was an enjoyable series. The dialogue really just worked and I just really liked the characters.

Props to Aika for being such a force throughout the series despite being dead from the very start. Did like Mahiro's little speech there in regards to Aika's life. Definitely the type that will try to forge his own path and not just act like his life is already scripted out.

Overall I liked the ending.
Old 2013-03-30, 00:58   Link #1131
ginger02

Isn't there supposed to be a sequel or parallel work by the mangaka?
ginger02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-30, 09:05   Link #1132
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger02 View Post
Isn't there supposed to be a sequel or parallel work by the mangaka?
Yes, there is. But I think it's only been announced and no chapters are out yet. So not much is known about whether it's a prequel, sequel, or another work set in the same universe. (I've heard all three possibilities here and there.) If someone knows more, please share.

Old 2013-03-30, 21:24   Link #1133
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Sigh there was just so much talking in this and no revenge as well as very little magic use and just got worst in the second half

5/10 there was some good moments but not enough
Old 2013-03-30, 21:36   Link #1134
Tenchi Ryu
True Harem End or BUST

Great ending to a great series, enjoyed the whole run. 8 out of 10 for me.
Old 2013-03-31, 10:36   Link #1135
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

I wanna know though, exactly how faithful was the anime to the manga?
Old 2013-03-31, 11:43   Link #1136
Aqua Knight

Anyone knows the OST in the beginning of the last episode?
Old 2013-04-01, 10:29   Link #1137
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Somehow Aika's drawing on that SD Card was really poignant...
Old 2013-04-03, 16:27   Link #1138
Bern-san

For those curious, today chapter 25 of the manga was translated and includes scenes which weren't in the anime about Samon, Mahiro and Hanemura
Old 2013-04-06, 21:55   Link #1139
VTHokiePride

Just finished watching the full series. I have to say that it started a little slow for me at first, but it really picked up around episode 7 or when the two began their attack on the Kusaribe with the army. It didn't have any fanservice and if it did I was too focused on the story, which is a plus. One thing still bugs me, does Yoshino have any feelings for Hakaze? After watching the very end, I believe he does, but I think he still loves Aika.
VTHokiePride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-06, 22:14   Link #1140
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokiePride View Post
One thing still bugs me, does Yoshino have any feelings for Hakaze? After watching the very end, I believe he does, but I think he still loves Aika.
Well, the anime’s ending seems to strongly impled that he really has feeling for Hakaze. But at the same time, you can’t just forget about your feeling to your late lover even if she’s already dead. Just like in Rurouni Kenshin (Samurai X) where Kenshin still has lingering feelings for his late wife, Tomoe, even though he already moves on to Kaoru. I think it’s a natural lingering feelings for a couple who once loved each other before death separated them. To just forget your previous love for the sake of the new one is a sign of a shallow love, and Yoshino's love to Aika isn't shallow .

Tags
bones, gangan, shounen, tragedy, zetsuen