AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-01-23, 20:26   Link #101
Celebrianna

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraFilipa View Post
Yeah, I'd like a RK remake. I love the old anime/OVAs but I wanted something that would follow the manga in a faithful way. If the old anime series followed the manga from the beginning to the end it would have been perfect: great character design, good animation, awesome soundtrack, etc.
Two weekends ago I watched Season 2 of the anime series and I enjoyed it thoroughly from beginning to end. Still, I'd like to see the entire manga faithfully animated. I own the entire manga series in graphic novels and every time I read it, I wish I could follow it up with an animated version to complete the experience.
Celebrianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-12, 14:32   Link #102
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
THIS IS MY REVIEW

Rurouni Kenshin is without a doubt one of the most memorable and successful action titles of the 90’s. It combined a lot of elements that were quite popular and likable back then, creating an immerse fanbase who had it in their tops. Even I was quite fond of it. But as much as I liked it for what it offered, there is very little actual good story in it and it was left incomplete, and murdered by the Filler Serial Killer TM.

The 90’s were a pure time. You could take any simple premise and make a huge success out of it as long as it had likable characters and nice pacing. A good story, or a not predictable, repetitive, original one, were not issues back then. You could be watching a hundred Slayers or Sailor Moon episodes and you wouldn’t feel bored. That is why a series such as RuroKen was able to reach great heights, as it actually had far more than a simple story. It was the ongoing tale of a samurai, who after a very brutal past decides to never kill again but instead fight for peace alongside a group of normal people. Well … the normal part was a bit off and everybody was doing their best to make him kill again, so that internal struggle was quite interesting.

Everything in the setting smelled pure win, as it was a historical era were Japan was exiting a long period of conservatism and bloody civil strife, where new ideas and technologies were entering their society and rapidly changed their traditional ways of life. All the fighters of that era are now considered a thing of the past, many of which are not fond of this and do their best to maintain Japan as it was. The struggle of leaving the era of war behind for an era of western influence that was not positive all the time, created a huge emotional impact on the viewer. The best term to describe this is “elegiac”, the sadness which the passing of time has on people who grow old and see their traditions and pure child innocence fading away under the cruelty of change and uncertainty.

The overall story was also very good, being about a powerful swordsman who doesn’t want to kill anymore, settle down, have a normal life, yet at the same time being constantly thrown in the midst of remnants of his past, people who don’t like their way of life to change for something they see as frail and foreign. There were no real good or bad sides in here; despite anyone Kenshin fought was seen as evil to the most part. In reality it was just a clash of civilizations and ideologies. You can’t really blame a man who trained all his life in the way of the sword to one day be told to throw away all his skills and start plowing the fields.

The general plot was also very good in terms of build up, as Kenshin was slowly facing more and more grim sides of his past coming back to haunt him, while at the same time protecting all those he loves around him. The story is without a doubt a solid 10 … if it was not so goddamn erratic, butchered, watered down and thrown away in the bin!

Although the manga version offers a complete story with a beginning, a middle and a powerful ending, the anime did the usual shit most series that want to drag things resort to. They called in the Filler Monster. Yup, fillers are abundant in this series, to the point were the series was canceled because of poor ratings. So ok, the manga was still on-going at the time and they were making fillers until it was complete. Thank you very much, here are the results: You killed the show.

I will not start criticizing each arc as much as how much of it was worth the watch. And as such, out of the 3 arcs the third is useless filler where nothing is going on, and the other two have a rather high amount of stand alone short arc in-between important events. Some were funny or semi-good in terms of action but overall they were without replay value. That alone takes out a lot of the charm of an otherwise good story. Story gets a 4.

Onwards with the cast. Kenshin is the epicenter of the story and truth be told, only he gets all the focus. If you follow his story, you really sympathize him for all the things he has done in the past, both good and bad, and how he tries to amend for the sins of all those he killed in the name of peace. A really great guy. So great, his style of “never kill” was copied later in other shows who wanted to profit from this, the most famous being Trigun’s Van. They still occasionally make characters with this feature today but it no longer has the same appeal. “Never kill” is after all a stupid way to follow if you expect to change the world. Heck, how shorter would each battle be is the all-powerful Kenshin was just going for the kill? It would take away his charm for sure but come on, you can’t make an omelet without breaking some necks eggs. But anyways, the whole deal is taken very lightly and most of the time you get to see him doing silly stuff rather than looking grumpy. And damn, he really looks far younger than he really is.

All the rest of the characters feel more like supplementary to the main lead, as they are all there to bring out different facets of his personality. Not a bad thing but they don’t seem to be able to stand on their own without Kenshin around. Kaoru, Yahiko, Sano, all have their different goals in life, as simple as they may be; but let’s be honest, they are just underlings to the lead. But heck, they are not cardboards as, let’s say, the Z Warriors were in Dragonball Z were joining Goku is the same as throwing away your free will. The main antagonists and/or villains, Aoshi, Saito, Shishio, seem to have it better, as they are leaders of their respective teams and have portfolios of their own. All the supporting characters besides them are just… there. Some have personality but none does anything special. As for the filler villains, well, screw them, any attempt to develop those means nothing to the story and it happens in a rushed and uninteresting way. But heck, they are a colorful bunch who is overall treated with more respect than most casts. Many are memorable, likable, interesting. If only the story was complete, they would feel somewhat more complete (but not too much more). Characters get a 7.

Animation and sound are good. Actually they are very good. Actually … they are great! Although there is a high amount of realism in terms of how people dressed or how buildings looked back then, Kenshin still wears pink. And a few other things here and there. Not anything major but it’s not historically accurate all the time. The battles are rather dull when it’s up against minor or filler villains and that makes a big chunk of episodes to have no replay value. As for the rest of the big ones … the magic of cinematics! They pulled out any trick of the book to make any slash or starring to create tension and excitement … even when it’s just a simple attack. Now that is what good action is all about! The actual choreography may be simple but the feeling it transmits with its use of music score, camera angles, split screen, shading, insane looks, etc, THIS IS ORGASMIC. Yeah, you get to enjoy every bit of it. This is the REAL samurai action. Most other shows make it look like they are having a picnic while fighting for the salvation of the world. The only downside I can find in it is that they … err … yell the names of their attacks. And some of those techniques are damn long. Which feels weird when Kenshin yells “Hiten Mitsurugi-ryū Amakakeru Ryū no Hirameki” for an attack that lasts a fraction of a second. But heck, times freezes all the time during attacks and as I said it builds proper tension, so I excuse it. Besides some sloppy looks here and there and the occasional frozen panels, it’s good stuff. And this applies only to the action scenes as the peaceful moments don’t pull the same powerful cinematics and thus the excitement is also a bit lower. Animation gets an 8.
Sound is on an even better level as things sound good even in peaceful moments. The soundtracks are amazing pieces of work, silly pop songs included. I still listen to them from time to time. They really do fix your mood when you are down. Voice acting is also great, making all characters sound properly funny in comical moments and dead serious during grave moments. Sound gets a 9.

Down to it, it really is a great show whose biggest error was bringing in the Filler Monster. From the three parts, the third one has no value at all, the first is semi-interesting to follow again in the heavy on action moments and the second is pure joy all the way. Doing the math, Value and Enjoyment get a 5. This can easily raise up to 9 if supposed you just skip all fillers and boring episodes but I choose to see things as a whole. They made them, they will pay the price for them.

Overall: 6.3/10

SUGGESTION LIST
The manga version
Don’t miss the Trust and Betrayal OVAs
Sword of the Stranger
Samurai Champloo
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-01, 22:39   Link #103
Vicious108

So apparently there's a new Kenshin game for the PSP in the works.

Sauce: http://www.siliconera.com/2010/11/01...meback-on-psp/

Cool. Made this will revive the franchise and they'll finally animated dat Jinchu.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-01, 23:27   Link #104
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Well, there's a precedent in that Inuyasha finally got it's completion - even if it was only about half the length it should have been and the wait was not as long as this would be. I think any new RK would be very likely to end up being licensed and aired on Adult Swim, which would be some incentive to get the Jinchu Arc animated at last.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-02, 00:19   Link #105
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

if they animate Enishi's arc, my anime watching career will be complete. the level of epicness in that arc is greater than any other arc in any other action anime i've ever seen.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-02, 00:28   Link #106
Queen darkness
Lady of mystery

Location: In the darkness the only place for me to feel alive.
Send a message via Yahoo to Queen darkness
I love that book. Best book ever >3

A common flower...yet mysterious.
Queen darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-02, 09:55   Link #107
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I don't know if I'd go that far, but it's pretty damn good. I think the Shishio arc is phenomenal as well - I'll go so far as to say those two stories are as good as shounen manga gets.

Viz did very, very well with that manga adaptation in the States - I think FWIW if a new season of RK is produced in Japan they can safely count on recouping some of their costs in the US. Is that enough incentive, I don't know. On the one hand RK doesn't fit the mold of most blockbuster series these days, but that era is still a popular subject for anime. So many questions - how much of the original cast could be brought back after all this time?
Old 2010-11-02, 11:47   Link #108
Vicious108

I do slightly prefer Kyoto to Jinchu, but yeah they're both superb and definitely a shining example of fighting shounen manga done oh so right. And well, manga in general, or it wouldn't be my all time favorite.

And as I've already stated a few posts above (...albeit 9 months ago) the original cast all came back for the 2006 PS2 game so, other than Saito's seiyu obviously, it shouldn't be a problem to get them together again for the this new game or an eventual new series.
Old 2011-01-11, 10:00   Link #109
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

15-second CM for the upcoming PSP game.

I got shivers when I saw the screen of Kenshin standing in front of everyone. Just wish I could see Kaoru better, but Megumi and Misao look awesome. Love Aoshi's suit too.
DJLowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-11, 10:24   Link #110
Vicious108

ORO!?

Wow, they're animating "Cherry Blossoms in the Spring"? Sweeet.

Confirmed playable already:

Kenshin
Sanosuke
Aoshi
Misao
Hiko
Jinei
Shishio
Sojiro
Usui
Anji
Cho
Fuji
Kamatari
Henya
Enishi

Not shown fighting but obviously will be playable too:
Kaoru
Yahiko
Saito

So yeah, nice roster.

The animation looked QUALITY-ish in the Kaoru vs Yahiko and the Saito parts but Kenshin vs Shishio at the end was just plain awesome. If only the fight had had dat animation in the TV series.

Speaking of TV, it said "TV" something under the logo there. Could it be a new TV series in order to celebrate the 15th year anniversary... OMFG JINCHU FINALLY ANIMATED I KNEW IT!

...Probably not, but yeah. And Mayo Suzukaze's Kenshin sounded a little different there but I guess it's natural since it's been a while. Just the fact that she's returning is great. And now I can't wait to hear who'll be voicing Saito here.
Old 2011-01-11, 10:37   Link #111
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

It was just noting the 15th anniversary of the TV anime. Believe me, I've had my ear to the ground ever since word came out about the live action movie coming, but I haven't seen anything indicating any new animation was coming our way.

Though I'd like to believe that if a franchise like Slayers could get resurrected over a decade after its last series (Slayers Try) aired, a Rurouni Kenshin remake or continuation could be entirely possible. Perhaps if the game and movie do well we'll see something. I won't hold my breath on that, but it'd sure be nice.
Old 2011-01-11, 19:06   Link #112
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It's hard to see any new Kenshin animated without getting shivers down the spine. This was one of my first, both for anime and manga, and I love it beyond all logic and measure.

For God's sake - Jinchu Arc, please!!!!
Old 2011-01-11, 19:33   Link #113
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
Not shown fighting but obviously will be playable too:
Kaoru
Yahiko
Saito
For the record though in case you missed it, Saito is shown fighting there against Usui, just in an animated cutscene. And yeah, I'm curious as to who is going to be voicing him as well.

Please, Jinchuu arc TV series!

A bit worrying though, I haven't heard a single word about the live action movie since its initial announcement a couple months back. That's usually not a good sign.
Old 2011-01-11, 20:10   Link #114
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
It's hard to see any new Kenshin animated without getting shivers down the spine. This was one of my first, both for anime and manga, and I love it beyond all logic and measure.

For God's sake - Jinchu Arc, please!!!!
This. This times infinity.

While Rurouni Kenshin has long since moved out of my personal Top 5, no other series among anime or manga makes me geek out like it does. It is a permanent all-time favorite of mine. I love the TV series in spite of all the filler. The animated movie is entirely fluff but still enjoyable. I continue to be awestruck by the quality of the Tsuiokuhen OVAs and repulsed by the "ending" we were given in Seisouhen (an ending even Watsuki-sensei himself dislikes.) As for the manga, it's still the only manga I have ever read from start to finish entirely in Japanese. And in either form, it's one of the most compelling and gripping stories I've ever come across in any medium.

You know, I've been languishing here a bit wondering what I was going to actually watch this season since there's so little airing that looks to be of any worth. I think I just got my answer. Time to see if I can watch the entire original anime before the Spring season rolls around.
Old 2011-01-11, 20:17   Link #115
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I've found myself drawn to my old favorites a lot lately (I'm re-watching Outlaw Star right now). Hearing the OP theme in that PV makes me want to start re-watching this show again - maybe not all of it, but certainly the best of it...
Old 2011-01-13, 18:11   Link #116
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I've found myself drawn to my old favorites a lot lately (I'm re-watching Outlaw Star right now). Hearing the OP theme in that PV makes me want to start re-watching this show again - maybe not all of it, but certainly the best of it...
that is because the anime for the last 2 years suck. i have watch less then 5 new anime the last 2 years combine. i am mostly watching the old stuff.
Old 2011-01-13, 18:46   Link #117
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
that is because the anime for the last 2 years suck. i have watch less then 5 new anime the last 2 years combine. i am mostly watching the old stuff.
Maybe for you, but I wouldn't say that's my reason. Any two-year period that can produce Cross Game and Sarai-ya Goyou can't be all bad. Nothing can compare to 2007 as glory days for me, but 2010 at least was a very decent year overall in my view.

Nope, I just feel the urge sometimes to reconnect with the series that made me love anime in the first place. And RK definitely fits that description for me as much as any anime or manga does.
Old 2011-04-18, 08:21   Link #118
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

Ladies and gentlemen, brace yourselves. Our prayers may have, at long last, been answered.

New Rurouni Kenshin Anime Green-lit

Let the speculation commence as to what we're getting. Dare we hope that it'll be a re-boot of the series similar to Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood where they follow the manga storyline more closely? Whatever it turns out to be, I look forward to it eagerly.
Old 2011-04-18, 11:24   Link #119
Celebrianna

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJLowrider View Post
Let the speculation commence as to what we're getting. Dare we hope that it'll be a re-boot of the series similar to Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood where they follow the manga storyline more closely?
This. This is what I am hoping for. I just feel that for the sake of new fans as well, it would be better to re-do the entire thing. Anyway, I just saw the news over at Anime News Network and I was really stunned for a second or two.
Celebrianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 23:01   Link #120
TiaxZatch

I finished the manga eons ago but never really watched th show. And after just completing Trust and Betrayal my love of the series got renewed. Especially between the Kenshin and Tomoe pairing. Easily one of my favorite aniem love stories of all time.

Here's a thought provoking question. If Tomoe hadn't jumped in the way of Kenshin's attack would they live happily ever after or would Kenshin go on another killing frenzy where her love can't even stop it?
TiaxZatch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, historical, shounen