AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2013-11-17, 20:52   Link #31761
Aurelis
Daydreamer

I have tried multiples stands and bases from Bandai.

The Tamashii Stage seems like a more aethetically-pleasing and functional base, with the transparent beam and claw that allows for more varied posing as compared to sticking an action base into a unit's bottom. The claw also allows posing of non-Bandai figures and for units without action base support.

However, based on my experience, it tends to sag over time and is not as stable or sturdy as the action bases. This is due to a lack of "locking mechanism" to keep the beam in place. It's all dependant on tight ball joint and pins. I dare say it's more for holding a figure to stand in place, instead of for prolonged aerial pose.

And just to throw it out there:

For action bases, there's the Action Base 1. This is suitable for most HG and MG units and is very big and stable. Also comes with a lot of connectors to fit most of Bandai kits. The drawback is that it's not really designed to give you unique poses like the Freedom's upside down pose.

There's other variation of this base like the EFSF and Principality of Zeon logo, the Unicorn-series designs and my personal favourite, the Celestial Being crest design.

Then there's Action Base 2. They're smaller, cheaper and more for HG action base stand. Unlike the octagonal-shaped Action Base 1, these triangular-ish design means over-extending the arm may cause the unit to topple. Other than that, it does what it's supposed to do.

My personal favourite is the Action Base 3. It has a platform for placing your desired image [I use these for my RGs and put in boxart in the image placeholder]. There's also sticks to alow the action base to tilt, giving a more dynamic outlook. Very stable too but the arms may be a little short for taller MGs. But at least it will allow you to do upside down poses as they changed the connector ends.

The above bases also lets you combine multiple bases into a singular large stage, which can do nicely for battle scenes. Also there's other bases available, like rotating solar ones, mirror bases and another favourite, the Bandai's LED ones.

I personally would like to purchase the new Gunpla Builder base as it looks very modernized.
Aurelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-17, 20:53   Link #31762
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Yes

13 Bucks for 3 vs 7.5-15 bucks for action base of various design and models

Admittedly I feel ashamed for minimizing cost, but I don't want the two HG unit I have suffering loose ankles because of neglect.

EDIT: I see, I'll consider the lifespan of the stand as well.
Old 2013-11-17, 20:56   Link #31763
Aurelis
Daydreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroXSEED View Post
Yes

13 Bucks for 3 vs 7.5 bucks for action base.

Admittedly I feel ashamed for minimizing cost, but I don't want the two HG unit I have suffering loose ankle because of neglect.
Alternatively, you could try getting a Kotobukiya Trailer

To re-enact the first voyage of the Gundam

But for HG, the Tamashii stage will do fine. Avoid the imitation ones at all cost though. This is because the arms are very weak and the claws, aren't even capable of gripping. I ended up throwing the fake one as it breaks down every time I place a unit on it.
Aurelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-17, 20:58   Link #31764
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Indeed.

I consider Tamashii because my distrust of bootleg (half the price), one of my friend's HG (I think Gundam Mk.II) shattered apart because of broken stand. No joke.
Old 2013-11-17, 23:15   Link #31765
Shinobi2013

Quote:
Indeed.

I consider Tamashii because my distrust of bootleg (half the price), one of my friend's HG (I think Gundam Mk.II) shattered apart because of broken stand. No joke.
To be honest, even the original one feels dangerous to use it on the gunpla kits, I have the original before but I only use it on SHFiguarts.
Shinobi2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-18, 00:56   Link #31766
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Mostly because it's using clear plastic. Anything that use clear plastic is dangerous to use as support for considerable weight (They're brittle after all)

Though it's possible to use Stage Act 5 on Master Grade, size of the claw means it's hard to mount the gunpla properly without it falling at the slightest bump anyway.

Anyway, by bootleg I mean Hongli-made Action base 1.
Old 2013-11-18, 09:08   Link #31767
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

Jebus.

http://kotaku.com/someone-wants-to-p...del-1466547288

I saw the original blog post when it was first posted. Yes, it is pretty as fuck, but $9000? Damn.
Old 2013-11-18, 09:09   Link #31768
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

It's posted in spacebattles too, and critics even said WORTH IT.

Master of Master grade indeed.
Old 2013-11-18, 09:13   Link #31769
suiton629
Master Grade Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHige View Post
Jebus.

I saw the original blog post when it was first posted. Yes, it is pretty as fuck, but $9000? Damn.
That guy could definitely make a living off of doing that. =P
All he would need to invest in:

a. paints
b. air brushes
c. paint brushes
d. ventilation system
e. small ~ medium size apartment
f. a crap ton of GunPla

It'll probably take him a good week's worth of modeling 1 kit. Sell that at $9000...

$9000 (if he sold each finished kit) x 52.1775 (weeks in a year) = $469,597.50 (yearly salary)

DAMN!!! And even if he had some bad weeks, we could round it off to like $450,000 a year. That's still quite a large amount of money to be raking in.
Old 2013-11-18, 09:31   Link #31770
Providenceangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by suiton629 View Post
That guy could definitely make a living off of doing that. =P
All he would need to invest in:

a. paints
b. air brushes
c. paint brushes
d. ventilation system
e. small ~ medium size apartment
f. a crap ton of GunPla

It'll probably take him a good week's worth of modeling 1 kit. Sell that at $9000...

$9000 (if he sold each finished kit) x 52.1775 (weeks in a year) = $469,597.50 (yearly salary)

DAMN!!! And even if he had some bad weeks, we could round it off to like $450,000 a year. That's still quite a large amount of money to be raking in.
I saw this on modelers G before this news hit. I thought it was amazing but... Not 9,000 good.... Maybe 700 dollars.

And by the way. it took 10 months to build it. So he made less then 1000 dollars a month. You could make more money by working as a general laborer in my area lol.
Providenceangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-18, 09:32   Link #31771
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

He actually doing that model for ten months...
Old 2013-11-18, 09:34   Link #31772
suiton629
Master Grade Master

Yea.
But apparently that's how much that guy made.

Damn. If I sold 1 thing online for even $5000 I would probably go on a berserk shopping mode after paying like 2 months worth of regular monthly bills ahead of time and then spend the rest in gifts for myself, family, friends, and random online buddies. lol

Quote:
He actually doing that model for ten months...
Ah. Damn. So then I guess this wouldn't be such a wise investment. LOL
Hopefully the guy has a regular steady paying job.

Old 2013-11-18, 09:45   Link #31773
Providenceangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by suiton629 View Post
Yea.
But apparently that's how much that guy made.

Damn. If I sold 1 thing online for even $5000 I would probably go on a berserk shopping mode after paying like 2 months worth of regular monthly bills ahead of time and then spend the rest in gifts for myself, family, friends, and random online buddies. lol

Ah. Damn. So then I guess this wouldn't be such a wise investment. LOL
Hopefully the guy has a regular steady paying job.

Well the real problem I see is... It could be false self promotion. If you can sell a kit for 9k, your personal worth goes up. It could have been his friends, or even him inflating the bid price. If it's honest, I have nothing but respect for the builder, but if it's what I would assume it is. I'm fairly disgusted(that I could never make that much lol) that anyone would do that for the publicity. Wait a minute... Forget it, North America is the land of Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus.
Old 2013-11-18, 10:08   Link #31774
Strigon 13
Electrosphere

Well guys, I need your spiritual help here:

I have enough money to buy a certain kit, my options are: a 1/144 HGUC Hi-Nu Gundam, a RG RX-78-2, and a RG Destiny Gundam. Which one is better?

Also there's a guy who gave me an offer: GN Arm Type D + Gundam Dynames in 40$; it worth?
Strigon 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-18, 10:17   Link #31775
suiton629
Master Grade Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strigon 13 View Post

I have enough money to buy a certain kit, my options are: a 1/144 HGUC Hi-Nu Gundam, a RG RX-78-2, and a RG Destiny Gundam. Which one is better?

Also there's a guy who gave me an offer: GN Arm Type D + Gundam Dynames in 40$; it worth?
I have heard a lot of issues with the RG RX-78-2 with parts breaking or popping off very easily. I think that is understandable considering it is the first RG. So to that one I would say no.

I'm not a fan of HGs so the HGUC Hi-Nu is a no.

So I would suggest the RG Destiny Gundam, and if you can, also get the Expansion Set that gives the Wings of Light and that smokey gray Action Base 2.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

In regards to the Dynames...

If you want it, then go for it. $40 brand new seems reasonable considering the ones I've found are much more.

http://www.gundamplanet.com/gn-arms-...m-dynames.html --> $78.95
http://www.amazon.com/Gundam-Type-D-...rds=dynames+gn --> $86.14
http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN955747/Gun --> $48.67
Old 2013-11-18, 10:26   Link #31776
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Get the dynames + GN arms

You'll not regret it
Old 2013-11-18, 11:18   Link #31777
Providenceangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strigon 13 View Post

I would choose the HG Hi-Nu. Of course I own it so I'm slightly biased. Are they all similarly priced for you? If so I would say, get the RG Destiny. Only if it's the same price for you though. Getting a RG for HG price is a steal. Sadly getting a HG at RG price is a ripoff though.
Old 2013-11-18, 11:46   Link #31778
RX93-2
White Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHige View Post
Jebus.

While paying 9000 dollar for that is a lot of money if you would calculate an hourly rate from the work he put into that I doubt it would be an extreme number.
Let's say he took 150 hours for that, something I can easily see between planning, sculpting, tryouts, broken parts or mistakes, etc. say 500 bucks for materials to keep the numbers easy. That's an hourly rate of 56.67; that is high but less extreme then it seems at first glance; especially if he is in the top-end of modellers out there skillwise.
RX93-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-18, 12:13   Link #31779
Providenceangle

This is true. There are modelers that make more money, per hour. Some people will customize a kit on commission in a few days. Making maximum profit.

See now I got the itch again. Every time I see something amazing it makes me start working on something. Pulled out this old guy. Going to go all out.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-11-18, 14:22   Link #31780
Appel

HNNNNGGG my PG Strike Freedom just arrived in customs... I am so damn excited!
Got some gold spray paints ready (too lazy to airbrush so many pieces), this is gonna be a long build I hope^^
Appel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gundam, gunpla, model kit, toy