Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2013-12-16, 11:43   Link #1361
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotCat View Post
It's not about what she likes, it's about her attraction to Kyousuke. Are you saying she ONLY likes Kyousuke because he's a genius classical violinist?
I'm saying that's the MAIN reason she likes Kyousuke. And the original TV series makes this crystal clear.

What characteristic of Kyousuke's did Sayaka focus the most on by far? His musical talent.

Did she say anything at all about his physical appearance, or his personality? If she did say something about that, it absolutely pales in comparison to how much she focused on his musical talent.

So I think it makes way, way more sense to think...

1) Sayaka fell in love with Kyousuke due to a preexisting love for classical music, and him being exceptionally good at it.

...rather than to think...

2) Sayaka fell in love with classical movie due to a love for Kyousuke transferring over to a love of classical music.

If 2 was the case, I'd expect to hear Sayaka say a lot more about how "dreamy" Kyousuke is, or how "hot" he is, or how much she likes his personality. But she focused almost exclusively on his musical ability, so that's obviously the root of her affection for him (rather than he being the root of her fondness for classical music).

So what's "pretty obvious" is actually the very opposite of what you're arguing.

Quote:
If Kyousuke was given a piano by his parents he'd probably be a piano genius instead.
A piano, sure. Because a piano is also central to classical music.

Different musical genres attract different people and different artists. Compare your classical musician to your country music artist to your rock-star. There is some overlap between the three, but there's also some big divisions (and most of the overlap is between rock and country, very little between classical and the other two).

Kyousuke's personality is very fitting for a classical musician. Not so much for a rock star.
Old 2013-12-16, 12:09   Link #1362
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homucifer View Post
I Wanted the Godoka board but got the Homura one so I sold it for 60$ on ebay and the rest of the stuff I got from the premiere, of course keeping
Unfortunately at my screening we don't get to buy anything, just get the board.

And even then, I think half the ppls didn't get the board because it ran out.

Lined up one hour early? #worthit
Old 2013-12-16, 12:11   Link #1363
Homucifer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHige View Post
Unfortunately at my screening we don't get to buy anything, just get the board.

And even then, I think half the ppls didn't get the board because it ran out.

Lined up one hour early? #worthit
was in line for 4 1/2 hours
Homucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-16, 12:39   Link #1364
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

Quote:
Damn

Too hardcore for me, lol.

But man, we really need madoka 4. SOMEONE SAVE HER >_<
Old 2013-12-16, 12:59   Link #1365
Homucifer
Banned

There were like 50 guys that were there before me to
Old 2013-12-16, 14:20   Link #1366
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

I'm probably one of the few Madoka fans who hasn't watched the movie yet.
Old 2013-12-16, 14:30   Link #1367
Homucifer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Watch the bootleg than its somewhere
Old 2013-12-16, 14:48   Link #1368
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Watch the bootleg than its somewhere
It's pretty bad quality from what I've read, missing a big chunk of the picture and poor subs.
Old 2013-12-16, 14:54   Link #1369
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

It's on my to watch list, and got the camrip, but the fact that I still have a huge backlog and not enough time to watch everything (and when I do, I'm often not in the mood to watch anything) prevents me from watching it.

At this rate, I'll probably wait till it's out on Blu-Ray and properly subbed (whether that be official subs, or fansubs).
Old 2013-12-16, 14:55   Link #1370
GDB

It's like, top 10% and left 10% of the screen. It's not that bad in that regard. The original subs were rather poor, but there was another subtitle file that went up a few days (or week... either way it's out now) afterward that was much better (from what I heard and via skimming).
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-16, 14:56   Link #1371
Homucifer
Banned

I thought the quality was great when I just watched the ending little conversation before I actually went to LA and if you want to wait a year for the BR to come out
Old 2013-12-16, 17:39   Link #1372
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
I haven't watched it either. I refuse to watch camrips, and I don't want to travel 400km to watch a movie I may not even like (spoilers sure aren't very encouraging). I'll diligently wait for the blu-ray.
Old 2013-12-16, 18:16   Link #1373
Gx Hero
Rambler

well old iron kinda gave a bit away in one of his fics and if it is true then the homura x Madoka fans have something to be mad about. won't actually spoil the ending since i have not seen it myself

http://nanohamanga.webs.com/

Links to other Nanoha stories on animesuki

http://www.mediafire.com/view/yp9qlj...e%20links.docx
Gx Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-16, 18:22   Link #1374
Eater of All
NOM

Quote:
I think from the time the merchandise store opened until the start of the movie only about 100-150 people got into the store. Fortunately I decided to claim some seats inside the theater while my pals stayed in line (they didn't even make it in the end), or else they'd come in and have nowhere to sit.

Most cutthroat movie experience ever.
Old 2013-12-16, 18:41   Link #1375
Homucifer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater of All View Post
I think from the time the merchandise store opened until the start of the movie only about 100-150 people got into the store. Fortunately I decided to claim some seats inside the theater while my pals stayed in line (they didn't even make it in the end), or else they'd come in and have nowhere to sit.

i was like 47th in line to get the merchindise
Old 2013-12-16, 19:46   Link #1376
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I haven't watched it either. I refuse to watch camrips, and I don't want to travel 400km to watch a movie I may not even like (spoilers sure aren't very encouraging). I'll diligently wait for the blu-ray.
Bring on the 1080p experience I take it there's no date for the BD/DVD yet?
Old 2013-12-16, 19:55   Link #1377
Monoriu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForwardUntoDawn View Post
Bring on the 1080p experience I take it there's no date for the BD/DVD yet?
I think they are probably under contract not to disclose the date until a few months after screening has been completed. As a rough point of reference, movies 1 and 2 came out in late 2012, and the BD/DVD was released in late July 2013. Assuming that they follow a similar timetable (and they may not), the BD/DVD for movie 3 should be out by July/August 2014.

I can't wait for Yuki Kajiura's OST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
It's like, top 10% and left 10% of the screen. It's not that bad in that regard. The original subs were rather poor, but there was another subtitle file that went up a few days (or week... either way it's out now) afterward that was much better (from what I heard and via skimming).
I think the camerarip missed about 10% top and 20% left. I saw one or two scenes of the newest sub (Homusub, I think). My initial impression is that it is a definite improvement over the other version. But I have to check the other scenes to be sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater of All View Post

In Hong Kong, more than a hundred people lined up almost 24 hours before movie tickets went on sale. They had to sleep on the streets at night to get movie tickets. I didn't, and got some of the worst seats.

Last edited by Monoriu; 2013-12-16 at 20:09.
Monoriu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-16, 20:46   Link #1378
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHige View Post
Aside from that, there better be a 4th movie coming out, otherwise this has to be one of the most cynical, messed up ending I've seen.
Oh, they'll be milking Madoka a lot more. Tho whether you'll like that...well

Your Friendly Bitcoin Trader|Go Avs/Broncos
speedyexpress48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-16, 23:46   Link #1379
RobotCat
In a Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I'm saying that's the MAIN reason she likes Kyousuke. And the original TV series makes this crystal clear.

What characteristic of Kyousuke's did Sayaka focus the most on by far? His musical talent.

Did she say anything at all about his physical appearance, or his personality? If she did say something about that, it absolutely pales in comparison to how much she focused on his musical talent.

So I think it makes way, way more sense to think...

1) Sayaka fell in love with Kyousuke due to a preexisting love for classical music, and him being exceptionally good at it.

...rather than to think...

2) Sayaka fell in love with classical movie due to a love for Kyousuke transferring over to a love of classical music.

If 2 was the case, I'd expect to hear Sayaka say a lot more about how "dreamy" Kyousuke is, or how "hot" he is, or how much she likes his personality. But she focused almost exclusively on his musical ability, so that's obviously the root of her affection for him (rather than he being the root of her fondness for classical music).

So what's "pretty obvious" is actually the very opposite of what you're arguing.
I feel like both options are a bit too extreme. I mean, falling in love SOLELY because of the music they play is a bit over the top for a preteen girl kind of romance in most cases. It's probably some combination of musical taste, childhood friend, and the fact that he's following his dream.

In episode 4, when Sayaka visists him in the hospital, she says how other people are surprised when she knows a piece, because they don't expect her to know any classical pieces based on her personality. She then says (from the official subs):

Quote:
It's only because you taught me all about this. If not for you, I may never have given classical music a real chance. Maybe not for my whole life, even.
I'm not saying she doesn't have some predisposition towards classical music, but this scene highly suggests she's never even been exposed to classical before Kyousuke. So Kyousuke would have played a somewhat heavy role in the 'nurture' aspect of her love for classical music.

Regarding as to how Sayaka describes Kyousuke. Before the despair hit starting in episode 3, Sayaka only mentions Kyousuke ONCE to Madoka and Hitomi, and that was only because Madoka mentioned it after Sayaka wanted to go to the music store. When she talks to Kyoko about Kyousuke after he recovers but doesn't tell her, she wouldn't respond in any way that'd give Kyoko any leverage in the argument. Finally, the only other time is at the end, when Sayaka just wanted to hear him play again. In all of these instances, even if she did think he was good looking or what not, it wouldn't be the right situation to mention it, especially considering the person she'd be talking about it to.

Quote:
A piano, sure. Because a piano is also central to classical music.

Different musical genres attract different people and different artists. Compare your classical musician to your country music artist to your rock-star. There is some overlap between the three, but there's also some big divisions (and most of the overlap is between rock and country, very little between classical and the other two).

Kyousuke's personality is very fitting for a classical musician. Not so much for a rock star.
I think AuraTwilight and the posters mentioned Rock and I sort of just followed suite, but a guitar itself perfectly fits within the classical genre. Classical guitars have been used in classical music since the 18th century. Many orchestras use classical guitars. Kyousuke could have very much been this guy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manuel_Barrueco

As for taste division between classical and rock, I think if you go by American rock there's a pretty big gap, but in Europe and even Japan there's much more of a overlap. For example, Kalafina's music consists of chamber pop/rock and contemporary classical. Magia is an exceptional blend of contemporary classical and an electric guitar.

The guitarist I linked earlier also did albums with electric guitars and various renditions of pop and rock music too, in addition to his classical work. Guitars are fairly versatile so it's very easy to dabble into different genres later down the line.

Last edited by RobotCat; 2013-12-17 at 00:37.
RobotCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-17, 05:00   Link #1380
Monoriu

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyexpress48 View Post
Oh, they'll be milking Madoka a lot more. Tho whether you'll like that...well
Shaft can take my money as long as they give me more Madoka. I consider movie 3 a worthy sequel to this legendary series. Can't wait for more.
Monoriu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
madoka